Do hand sanitizers and hand washing REALLY do what they claim?

nobog

This is really good information:

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/what-do-hand-washing-and-hand-sanitizers-really-do

The home page is:

Stop the Stomach Flu! http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/

Admin: I did not know where to put this so move as you deem fit. I am in no way associated with this site or the author, the info just seemed appropriate. They are not selling anything - bar the usual Google ads.

Jim

Hand washing does...it actually REMOVES germs and bacteria from your skin...the soap loosens it, and the water rinses it away. Dry with a clean towel.

Sanitizers are better than nothing, but they are NOT as good as washing....they don't kill viruses, which is what the "NORO" virus (stomach flu) is!

Influenza (the flu) doesn't usually cause stomach issues...it's a respiratory illness.

The hand sanitizer solution the ship uses is a special formula, see here:

See:

http://survivalmomstore.com/product/purell-9689-24-vf481-instant-hand-sanitizer-2-fl-oz-bottle-with-flip-top-case-of-24/

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-31/cruise-ships-germ-war-spurs-hand-sanitizer-skirmish

There is another location I've read where Purell specifically states they use a special formula, but I couldn't find it

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It makes me laugh when people do a dance around the person squirting, waving their hands in the air shouting "I'm not having food I'm just looking for someone" doesn't stop them from touching things though does it.

We cruised recently with a microbiologist. She said that washing your hands with soap only worked well with warm or hot water, not cold water.

Sometimes on ship, it takes a while for the water to get hot from the faucet.

Yes the hand sanitizers kill bateria,but they kill both good and bad and they have a lot of alcohol in them so your skin gets dried out. Taking a minute to two to wash with warm, soapy water is really much better. Just sing happy birthday while you wash and you have a good one minute wash.....I learned that one when my dad was in a nursing home for 3 years.

The hand sanitizer that the cruises use is called VF481, which contains an antimicrobial. It is much more effective than regular hand sanitizer, which has isopropyl alcohol as the effective ingredient.

I recently read a scientific study that said that the best way to kill Noro and similar viruses is to first wash hands with an antimicrobial soap (0.3% Chloroxylenol), followed by VF481 hand sanitizer.

Edited by Nachosdelux

While hand washing is technically better, it must be done right and I don't see the endless stream of people entering the lido willing to wait in line for the two convenient sinks. The sanitizers used on the ships are quick to dispense and the formula is effective against viruses including Noro. Like vaccinations, they're only effective if people (not just individuals) use them.

Also, while there are "normal" bacteria on your skin they are definitely not "good" and can potentially cause some of the worst infections if they get beyond the surface.

Hand washing does...it actually REMOVES germs and bacteria from your skin...the soap loosens it, and the water rinses it away. Dry with a clean towel. Sanitizers are better than nothing, but they are NOT as good as washing....they don't kill viruses, which is what the "NORO" virus (stomach flu) is! Influenza (the flu) doesn't usually cause stomach issues...it's a respiratory illness.

Appreciate the good background posted on this thread. Glad that cruise lines, including Celebrity, have staff there, pushing the use of the hand sanitizers, etc. It's not perfect or guaranteed, but I personally believe that this emphasis and work helps lessen problems. Things would be much worse without these efforts.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 92,261 views for this posting.

It makes me laugh when people do a dance around the person squirting, waving their hands in the air shouting "I'm not having food I'm just looking for someone" doesn't stop them from touching things though does it.

Be advised that some people including myself are either allergic or break out in rashes in some manner from using hand sanitizers....

Just FYI -

The CDC recommends at least 0.13% benzalkonium chloride to be effective against norovirus. Gold Bond Hand Sanitizer is the only one I can find commercially available. It is at most major stores (travel and larger sizes) and Walgreens, CVS…..

Gold Bond Hand Sanitizer – Benzethonium Chloride 0.2% (synonym of benzalkonium chloride)

After working in Public Health for many years, I also always have spray Lysol (Brand III - up by the name). It has been tested many times & kills norovirus.....

On the Reckitt Benckisnr, manufacturer of Lysol, Q & A website for lysol:

When used per label directions, LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray "Brand III" is effective against norovirus. However, LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes are not effective against norovirus. And if you have any older Lysol “Brand II” around, it is not effective against norovirus.

I have found the products very effective when used in conjunction with safe practice to defend against others. By practice, I mean we use our own sanitizer AFTER we handle buffet serving ware, menus, salt and pepper shakers, and backs of chairs in the dining areas. Knuckles only on elevator push buttons, etc. A touch of paranoia, but the folks from the 17-19th centuries were on to something when they donned gloves whenever in public.

We are very vigilant in washing hands and using the sanitizer..agree it can be rough on the hands but it does work. We have been on twenty plus cruises and have not ever been sick. We have been on a couple of cruises that resembled a hospital ship by the time the cruise was over. :)

I have found the products very effective when used in conjunction with safe practice to defend against others. By practice, I mean we use our own sanitizer AFTER we handle buffet serving ware, menus, salt and pepper shakers, and backs of chairs in the dining areas. Knuckles only on elevator push buttons, etc. A touch of paranoia, but the folks from the 17-19th centuries were on to something when they donned gloves whenever in public.

We do the same. Paranoia, not really. Prevention yes. It amazes me how many Cruisers blow in their hands to dry the hand sanitizer.

It amazes me how many Cruisers blow in their hands to dry the hand sanitizer.

Well, from the individual's point of view if they are just trying to prevent themselves from getting sick and not worrying about protecting others, blowing on your hands wouldn't do any harm. At worst you'd just be blowing the germs you already have back on your hands.

But the hand sanitizer is of dubious value in preventing noro anyway.

Well, from the individual's point of view if they are just trying to prevent themselves from getting sick and not worrying about protecting others, blowing on your hands wouldn't do any harm. At worst you'd just be blowing the germs you already have back on your hands.

Great, just another way of spreading germs or whatever is on someones hands. Disgusting!

Edited by davekathy

I've seen some passengers outright refuse, or take just a little, or there was one passenger who asked for "just a little" and then proceeded to "share with her husband" by dabbing her fingertips on his. :confused:

I'd have a lot more respect for the person who says, "I'm sorry, I'm allergic or have sensitive skin" to the person who makes up some other feeble excuse or refuses altogether.

We use their hand sanitizer and I always have by own little bottle at the table and we all sanitize again.

I remember my son at 2 on Carnival Dream. Bobbing from side to side, doing a little dance, and singing "hand ass-i-tiz-er". 5 years later, and we still call it that in our family. My DH will toss the bottle at the kids and tell them to "ass-i-tize".

We cruised recently with a microbiologist. She said that washing your hands with soap only worked well with warm or hot water, not cold water.

She is badly informed and just repeating an old wives tale.

From the CDC: The temperature of the water does not appear to affect microbe removal. http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-handwashing.html

Other sources:

Washing Hands in Hot Water Wastes Energy, Study Says, It doesn’t kill germs better than cooler water, but turning tap temperatures high, the U.S. burns carbon equal to the emissions of Barbados. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/12/131213-washing-hands-hot-water-wastes-energy-health/

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/09/23/3020122.htm

Then I would let the water run until it got hot. No problem.

I don't think the hand sanitizer on any cruise ship is the regular kind you buy at a store. I am pretty sure it is specially made for cruise lines and it is industrial strength and probably has some noro fighting stuff in it:eek: That's why when I use my own regular Purell it doesn't bother my hands but on long cruises using the ships sanitizer it sure does..

We did a Ruby Princess Cruise in December, and two things amazed me

- In the public bathrooms, it is almost impossible to get a decent amount of soap. They were not using the 'white foam' soap, rather the thin orange stream where you waved your had in from of a sensor, and it was dispensed. Really, that is not an area where you want to be saving money

- They had signs around encouraging people to avoid using the public restrooms if possible, use the one in their cabins instead.

Yeah, right, we were in a stern balcony, and they want me to go up 3 desks, and down the length of the ship to use the bathroom in my cabin

If you are trying to prevent the spread of stomach virus, this was really dumb