Do hand sanitizers and hand washing REALLY do what they claim?

nobog

We have been doing that for the past 14 years and have never had a problem... Hope our good fortune holds out in a few weeks on our next cruise.. LOL

bosco

Here's to your luck continuing, regardless of the whys and wherefores.

Keep your fingers out of your mouth, nose, and eyes and most sickness will be avoided.

And....wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water, particularly after bathroom and before dining sessions and...use the ship provided washrooms and sanitizers when you can and as directed and...do whatever you think will help and...

OP - Thank you for posting that link - I personally found it very interesting reading.

I've never been one to overly worry about viral infection from a 3rd party - I've never shied away from shaking somebody's hand for instance. I do take some pride in having what I consider to be a good hand hygiene regimen nonetheless.

I feel though that some posts on here are a little presumptuous in their assumptions made about other cruisers and their hand hygiene.

While this routine is admirable, it's important to note the sanitizer you use that you bring does not kill Noro, only the special formalization the ship provides does.

So your "added layer" of using your own, is essential truly a waste of the product, if used immediately after the ship's version.

If used when the ships version is not around, it will kill other things, but will have zero effect on Noro.

I don't remember the poster that was being referred to mentioning which brand of sanitiser they used?

Purelle is by far the most common sanitizer people cary with them...I didn't read anywhere in the article where Puerile killed Noro. If it was there, could you point that out to me? Perhaps I did miss it. I did read where some of the others were specifically noted to kill Noro and another "stomach flu", but didn't see same with puerile.

This got to me a little, I have to admit, because "Purell" wasn't mentioned by any other posters. Is this a fact that it "is by far the most common sanitizer people cary[sic] with them" or is that again an assumption by the respondent?