Travel money cards??

bazzaw

Care with travel money cards - as they do not have your name printed on them most hotels / hire car companies will not accept them when you check in. We have used one (It was an ANZ one) and found it fairly good, however the fees etc are a bit steep and there's an initial outlay for the card. Good thing about the travel cards is that you have a locked in exchange rate, especially with the falling A$ at the moment. So if you're worried about the $ going south, you can lock it in at todays rate.

We now have a Citibank debit Visa card which we use for travel. It has great exchange rate (It's "loaded" with AU$) and can be used for cash out at ATM'S (Citibank ATM are quite common) or use it as a Visa. You can also get 2 cards on the one account - one for him, one for her. You have control of it via the internet to top it up and view transactions.

I use the Aus Post Load n go Travel card - Visa.

Main reason - keeps that money totally unconnected to my own bank accounts.

No fees for starting it. You load in Aussie dollars at any PO and your money is there straight away. No fee for loading in Aud (Travellex charges 1.1%). We load a bit on every week or two for our spending budget. As that is in Aud we can still use that before the trip, if we need to, before we lock in the exchange to the US dollar wallet on the card.

You set up your online log in, and then you can transfer the money to other currency wallets if and when you want to, and lock in the exchange rate, or you can use it the day you want to spend and get that daily rate. That way you only spend the overseas currency that you need, and you haven't converted it all and are stuck with it when you get back.

No monthly fee. A 9c per transaction fee, capped at 99c per month when you use it. If you get cash out it is around $2, depending on which country you use the ATM in.

If you use a currency not on the card's list (US, NZ, GBP, EUR), then a further 3% fee is charged on top of the exchange rate (Travellex charges 5.95% extra, but has more currencies on the card). The exchange rate is normally about 3 - 3.5% over the rate on the news roughly.

If you haven't spent all your money, you can use it like any credit card back in Australia.

There is a barcode on the back, and we photocopy that and leave that with a friend, and they can put money on it straight away at any PO.

It has a pin, and a chip, and can be used "pay wave" as well. You can use it to spend online also.

We load it, transfer to US$ the amount we want to budget for onboard spending. It can't be used directly for the onboard account, they will not accept a prepaid on the Royal Caribbean ships. We take the amount out on the ship atm, it costs us the $2 card fee plus the $6 ATM fee, and then we don't have to worry about the exchange rate while we are at sea for a couple of weeks.

A couple of trips ago the dollar moved 2c in the fortnight we were away, but we had our US$ locked in, and once we paid our sea pass off on the second last day we knew just a little bit would be on our regular credit card, and we didn't have to wonder what the exchange would be on the day they processed it, and we didn't get stuck with that NAB 3% fee plus the exchange rate.

We looked at the Travellex but found it not flexible for the way wanted to use our card.

I know there is a lot of good things about the 28degrees card that people talk about here, but we have looked at the pros and cons for us, and in our situation, we find this easier to use and more flexible to the way we want to use it.

Have used them in the past so as to not carry wads of cash around but now use a 28 degrees credit card (we only use this one for travel) and load money onto it prior to the trip. so it acts more like a debit card. It has less fees and is easier to use than travel cards. We still take some cash in the appropriate currency so we have money for taxis, water, food, etc where it is not worth using a card.:D

SOME travel agents and providers are incorrectly telling their customers that they can use travel cards as their credit card for onboard charges but the cruise lines will only accept a credit/ debit card with the persons name on it. The travel card can only be used to obtain cash from the ATM on board to pay for their account which must be set up as a cash account.

Commbank Travel Money Card can be used to pay at any retail outlet accepting Mastercard, and for cash withdrawals from ATM displaying Mastercard logos . For both types of transaction select account type CREDIT .

Only country mine has not worked was in French Polynesia as so few Aussies go there each year, ony around 5,000 Aussies go to Papeete each year !!!

On CBA Travel Money Cards your name is on the rear .

They are stored value debit cards so Hotels should accept them as in processing they can see instantly that there are sufficient available funds to cover the transaction .

We have the 28 Degrees credit card to use whenever we want to pay with credit, and the Citibank Plus debit card for cash withdrawals from ATMs. The advantage with these cards is they have no foreign currency conversion fees. There are no fees to set them up. 28 Degrees is a standard credit card with no annual fee and the Citibank card is an every day transaction account. It does not charge a fee for withdrawing cash at foreign ATMs. I'm not sure which exchange rate they use but I think it's pretty close to the current xe.com rate.

The 28 Degrees card used to allow you to load money so that it was in credit, and then withdraw cash, but they now charge a fee. So it's now better to have both cards.

We have the 28 Degrees credit card to use whenever we want to pay with credit, and the Citibank Plus debit card for cash withdrawals from ATMs. The advantage with these cards is they have no foreign currency conversion fees. There are no fees to set them up. 28 Degrees is a standard credit card with no annual fee and the Citibank card is an every day transaction account. It does not charge a fee for withdrawing cash at foreign ATMs. I'm not sure which exchange rate they use but I think it's pretty close to the current xe.com rate.

The 28 Degrees card used to allow you to load money so that it was in credit, and then withdraw cash, but they now charge a fee. So it's now better to have both cards.

Yes, there are no fees on purchases just on cash withdrawals.:D

Who uses what Travel Money cards - and why????

Barry

Travelex and the like are now "old hat" They "sneak fees in". We used them a few years ago - and we had some money left on when we came back - and they "deducted" a monthly fee until the money had dwindled down to a fat zero. We didn't realize this - until we were going off again and checked the balance.............mmmmmmmmmm - what balance !!!!!!! a big fat zero. Oh, it's all there in the smaller than small print - page 942 ..............I think :mad:

So, scissors, and a new approach :p

Edited by dizzy1948

Travelex and the like are now "old hat" They "sneak fees in". We used them a few years ago - and we had some money left on when we came back - and they "deducted" a monthly fee until the money had dwindled down to a fat zero. We didn't realize this - until we were going off again and checked the balance.............mmmmmmmmmm - what balance !!!!!!! a big fat zero. Oh, it's all there in the smaller than small print - page 942 ..............I think :mad:

So, scissors, and a new approach :p

Yes, a bit like that, products can come out and can be really good and be the cheapest options. Then the terms and conditions change which make them the more costly options. They breed on people's apathy.:(

+1 .. You don't need to use a Citibank ATM with the Citibank card but watch out for fees from the 'owner' of the ATM - I got stung for about ₤2 in Waterloo Station in London because I did not check carefully. :(

Edited by RickInOz

We used CBA Travel Money cards on our 6 week trip late last year. Pre-loaded with C$ and US$ at a good Fx rate ($A fell between when we loaded cards and the actual trip). For purchases worked just like a cc but with no fees as we were spending the actual local currency, we could log in and move remaining C$ to US$ after 1st leg, and we could access cash from ATMs for C$3 and US$2.50.

On the ship we did pay the US$6 fee for ATM to get cash and paydown our bill.

We did have a small balance in US$ and it remains today.

Good option - we were not going to carry the equivalent of A$3500 in cash & didn't want to pay 3% cc fee on the full balance of our 3 cruises :).

I use the cash cards attached to my frequent flyers. I have both QantasCash and Velocity Global Wallet. No fees at all. You just Bpay load $ on in any currency and use it like a credit card, never had any problems. I use it at places or over the phone where I don't want to give my real credit card which has a large available balance and could be scammed for a lot of $. I've used it to secure a hotel booking, in taxis and when I've booked tours over the phone etc etc.

I use the cash cards attached to my frequent flyers. I have both QantasCash and Velocity Global Wallet. No fees at all. You just Bpay load $ on in any currency and use it like a credit card, never had any problems. I use it at places or over the phone where I don't want to give my real credit card which has a large available balance and could be scammed for a lot of $. I've used it to secure a hotel booking, in taxis and when I've booked tours over the phone etc etc.

I will need to look into Qantas cash card, I didn't realise ther ewere no fees.:D

I also use a CBA money card. Loaded with thousands of USD, back when the rate was $1.06.:D

Still lots left, for many more cruises.:eek:

I always take cash to load onto account. Card is only for excess spending. :)

Edited by Aussie FF

I will need to look into Qantas cash card, I didn't realise ther ewere no fees.:D

There were fees when I last investigated .. and there's a a lot of fine print. (see: http://www.qantascash.com/why-qantas-cash/fees-and-charges/ and below)

The only good thing about Travel Cards is the ability to lock in the rate at the time of currency purchase; and then you are taking a punt that the exchange rate will not be better when it comes time to spend your cash loaded on the card. You earn no interest on the funds on the card and most have a fee that will kick in after a period of non-use

QantasCash fees:

International ATM withdrawal fee (outside Australia) AUD 1.95; USD 1.95; GBP 1.25; EUR 1.50; THB 70;NZD 2.50; SGD 2.50; HKD 15.00; CAD 2.00; JPY 160; AED 6.50.^

Currency Conversion Fee 3% of transaction value~

==

^ Some ATM operators may charge a withdrawal fee. In addition, if relevant a foreign exchange rate may be applied in accordance with clause 7 of the Terms and Conditions.

~ This amount will be applied as a margin in addition to the MasterCard rate in circumstances where funds are withdrawn or used for purchase transactions in a currency which is not supported by Qantas Cash, or where funds are allocated by us from one currency to a different currency as a result of a purchase or withdrawal transaction. Please refer to clauses 7 and 8 of the Terms and Conditions for further information. The MasterCard® rate is the exchange rate determined by MasterCard® to be their wholesale rate or the government mandated rate in effect in the day the transaction is processed by MasterCard®.

There were fees when I last investigated .. and there's a a lot of fine print. (see: http://www.qantascash.com/why-qantas-cash/fees-and-charges/ and below)

The only good thing about Travel Cards is the ability to lock in the rate at the time of currency purchase; and then you are taking a punt that the exchange rate will not be better when it comes time to spend your cash loaded on the card. You earn no interest on the funds on the card and most have a fee that will kick in after a period of non-use

QantasCash fees:

International ATM withdrawal fee (outside Australia) AUD 1.95; USD 1.95; GBP 1.25; EUR 1.50; THB 70;NZD 2.50; SGD 2.50; HKD 15.00; CAD 2.00; JPY 160; AED 6.50.^

Currency Conversion Fee 3% of transaction value~

==

^ Some ATM operators may charge a withdrawal fee. In addition, if relevant a foreign exchange rate may be applied in accordance with clause 7 of the Terms and Conditions.

~ This amount will be applied as a margin in addition to the MasterCard rate in circumstances where funds are withdrawn or used for purchase transactions in a currency which is not supported by Qantas Cash, or where funds are allocated by us from one currency to a different currency as a result of a purchase or withdrawal transaction. Please refer to clauses 7 and 8 of the Terms and Conditions for further information. The MasterCard® rate is the exchange rate determined by MasterCard® to be their wholesale rate or the government mandated rate in effect in the day the transaction is processed by MasterCard®.

Thanks RickInOZ.:D

Yes, they've always had fees, though maybe got rid of some? Now, you can avoid most of the fees, but still have the conversion fee - which is the same as the cruise line charges.

Yes, they've always had fees, though maybe got rid of some? Now, you can avoid most of the fees, but still have the conversion fee - which is the same as the cruise line charges.

Someone mentioned that Qantas has fees after a period of non-use. That got me concerned as I loaded up mine just so that I can pay for a US $ cruise mid 2015. So it will lay unused for probably 7 months. I did this to lock in an exchange rate. I have been through Qantas Terms but cannot see any mention of non-use fee, can anyone elaborate.

Someone mentioned that Qantas has fees after a period of non-use. That got me concerned as I loaded up mine just so that I can pay for a US $ cruise mid 2015. So it will lay unused for probably 7 months. I did this to lock in an exchange rate. I have been through Qantas Terms but cannot see any mention of non-use fee, can anyone elaborate.

I said most travel cards have a non-use fee .. I don't believe Qantas Cash does (yet) but their web site says: "No monthly account fees on active accounts^" with the footnote "^Other fees & charges apply" whatever this means.

You say "so that I can pay for a US $ cruise". Are you paying for the cruise itself or just the onboard expenses in US$? I have some US$ and CA$ that I would like to use to pay for my cruises and pre-cruise 'add-ons' but Celebrity makes me pay in AU$ as I'm a resident of OZ. I have a US Visa debit card which I use for onboard expenses.

Edited by RickInOz

I said most travel cards have a non-use fee .. I don't believe Qantas Cash does (yet) but their web site says: "No monthly account fees on active accounts^" with the footnote "^Other fees & charges apply" whatever this means.

You say "so that I can pay for a US $ cruise". Are you paying for the cruise itself or just the onboard expenses in US$? I have some US$ and CA$ that I would like to use to pay for my cruises and pre-cruise 'add-ons' but Celebrity makes me pay in AU$ as I'm a resident of OZ. I have a US Visa debit card which I use for onboard expenses.

Rick. I booked one of my upcoming cruises through a USA TA in USD $. ----As final payment is not until about September and the AUD $ kept dropping, I took the punt and put US $ on my Qantas Cash . I paid about 83c per US $ so as long as it doesnt go above that before September I am in front. But I am obviously not receiving interest on the funds as they sit in the account. When final payment is due, the TA will charge my Qantas Cash.

Rick. I booked one of my upcoming cruises through a USA TA in USD $. ...

I'm very interested in your USA TA .. most I've contacted want you to have a US or Cdn passport. I know you can't mention TA names here .. so in the interests of not hijacking this thread and further can we take this offline (wish this board had PMs :() .. my email address is in my profile.

I'm very interested in your USA TA .. most I've contacted want you to have a US or Cdn passport. I know you can't mention TA names here .. so in the interests of not hijacking this thread and further can we take this offline (wish this board had PMs :() .. my email address is in my profile.

Rickinoz. I will contact you but just to mention here that many Oz people book through a US TA of which there are several that I know of ( several US TA that is) . However some cruise lines do not allow, I usually sail Celebrity and they allow, even to the point of allowing a non US to book in US $ through their (Celebritys) US website. I booked this particular cruise this way as it was not available, for some unknown reason, through any AUS TA