Canadian cruisers!!

When I go to the link and hit 'book your appointment online' it takes me to the goes page. do I need to set up and goes account before I can book the appointment? it scares me a little bit because it indicates if I open an account and I already have one it is going to mess things up.

I sent my forms in by mail so not sure if that matters.

You need to use the number that they gave you on the phone to set up a goes account. That I'd the only way that you can book an appointment.

Am I better to book my cruise in USD on the RCCL site or in CDN on there?

There is no "better". If you book in US and our $ falls it will cost you more. If our $ rises you will pay less. Book in CDN and you don't have to worry about the exchange rate. (At least for the cruise). On board and travel expenses are another matter.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Well right now if I book in the USD its cheaper - by about $200 - than using the current exhcange on xe.com - so better off to book in USD and make payments on days the dollar is good :)

I usually book in CDN but if it was $200 cheaper in US after the conversion I'd book in US as well. The $ isn't too bad right now (compared) to the last few months). I'd probably pay it off now just to have peace of mind.

Well right now if I book in the USD its cheaper - by about $200 - than using the current exhcange on xe.com - so better off to book in USD and make payments on days the dollar is good :)

In comparison, our cruises is booked in Canadian - $ 2495.00 which, using the app exchanges to $1921 US dollars.

EXACTLY what Royal is charging, both in Canadian and US.

So we will keep Canadian.

Also note, anytime we have used the XE app, when I actually exchange at the bank, it's is always a bit more. Like $30 $40 more on $1000. ( on average)

Bank fees I assume.

Edited by son3cruisers

I just spoke with gifts and gear about OBC for an upcoming cruise and their conversion rate is 1.40 today. It's a positive sign an maybe it will come down more soon. Here's hoping

Thanks for the update , definitely a step in the right direction

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Also note, anytime we have used the XE app, when I actually exchange at the bank, it's is always a bit more. Like $30 $40 more on $1000. ( on average)

Bank fees I assume.

The XE app is the exchange rate not the cash rate. There is usually about a 3-4% between the exchange rate and what you get at the bank. This makes sense to see a $30-$40 difference on $1000.

At http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/daily-converter/ you have the option of seeing the cash rate as well. I am not sure if XE has that option as I just started using it. As of noon the exchange rate is .7710 and the cash rate is .74

I just spoke with gifts and gear about OBC for an upcoming cruise and their conversion rate is 1.40 today. It's a positive sign an maybe it will come down more soon. Here's hoping

Thanks from me too for this update. :) Our dollar is heading in the right direction.

The XE app is the exchange rate not the cash rate. There is usually about a 3-4% between the exchange rate and what you get at the bank. This makes sense to see a $30-$40 difference on $1000.

At http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/daily-converter/ you have the option of seeing the cash rate as well. I am not sure if XE has that option as I just started using it. As of noon the exchange rate is .7710 and the cash rate is .74

👍

Thanks so much !

Just a quick update on adding prepaid gratuities.

I just called and added prepaid gratuities to 4 different sailings starting this December to March 2018. Some bookings had been made as long ago as 2 years and others were made 3 weeks ago.

In each case the prepaid gratuities were all the exact same. All used the exchange rate of 1.23

I know in the past everyone was getting different rates based on when the cruise had been booked but it now appears that it no longer matters when the cruise was booked but what they are using as an exchange rate for gratuities (very different than OBC exchange rate) on the day that you call.

I figure that if our $ improves and Royal comes up with a better exchange rate I can always cancel them and then re book them to get the better rate but at least now they are locked in at 1.23.

Hopefully if anyone finds that they have changed they will post here to let everyone know.

OBC rate still at 1.4

Edited by Ourusualbeach

So with the Nexus, is it quicker getting off the ships? I'm wondering how that works. Always assuming of course we get through the Nexus process in one piece. :rolleyes:

There are limited ports that it is currently available in. Terminal 18 in FLL is one of those and yes it is a lot quicker. You are basically taken to the front of the customs line.

Thanks Ken! Interesting that they are using $1.23 for all booked cruises now. No complaints about that. :)

Like you say, the gratuities can always be removed and re booked if RCI comes up with a better rate !;)

Just for clarification. You are saying I can remove prepaid gratuities? My sailing is not til next year...

so I called the nexus line, as I mentioned in my previous post, and the lady I spoke to was soooo nice. she looked up our numbers with no issues. asked if my husband was home as she needed to give him his own number and once i said husband was home she gave it to me without having to put him on the phone. she asked where we would be going for our appointment then offered to get the phone number for me. she asked if there was anything else at all that she could help us with. a really nice government employee.

the contrast.....I called the lansdown office and a very gruff sounding man answered the phone. I explained that I would like to make appointments for myself and my husband for the nexus and he said 'call back at 2:30, that's when we make appointments'. I said 2:30? he said, yes, we only make appointments between 2:30 and 3. then he hung up. everything he said was in an angry voice. i'm almost afraid now. :eek:

anyone know where you go online to make the appointment?

Did you finally get an appointment at the Lansdowne office?

I tried to call Fort Erie this morning to schedule ours and they said you MUST use the GOES website and the Passid # they gave us over the phone to set up an appointment. The reason I called was to ask how to "link" the two numbers so we'd get an appointment time together. She said just to take any two appointments on the same day and they would "likely" take us both at the same time. They will not let you book over the phone.

Ken and Andrew and anybody else that's gone through it.. did you go in with your wife/children? or do they take you one at a time? The appointments are each 15 minutes and I got one for 8:45 a.m. and the other for 9:30 a.m. which was the best there was at Fort Erie in the next few months. It says on the appt. printout to bring your conditional approval confirmation letter.. Of course, we don't have one so I called back and asked about that and she said don't worry about it.. you'll have your Nexus card before the letter! :rolleyes: I wasn't surprised since I remembered somebody else in this thread mentioned that happened to them. Hopefully this will all be worth it!! :)

Did you finally get an appointment at the Lansdowne office?

I tried to call Fort Erie this morning to schedule ours and they said you MUST use the GOES website and the Passid # they gave us over the phone to set up an appointment. The reason I called was to ask how to "link" the two numbers so we'd get an appointment time together. She said just to take any two appointments on the same day and they would "likely" take us both at the same time. They will not let you book over the phone.

Ken and Andrew and anybody else that's gone through it.. did you go in with your wife/children? or do they take you one at a time? The appointments are each 15 minutes and I got one for 8:45 a.m. and the other for 9:30 a.m. which was the best there was at Fort Erie in the next few months. It says on the appt. printout to bring your conditional approval confirmation letter.. Of course, we don't have one so I called back and asked about that and she said don't worry about it.. you'll have your Nexus card before the letter! :rolleyes: I wasn't surprised since I remembered somebody else in this thread mentioned that happened to them. Hopefully this will all be worth it!! :)

We all three went together to Fort Erie (1 trip) and we also has 3 appointments in a row. I went in on my own first and Lisa and Owen went in together for the Canadian portion of the "interview". Basically they took my finger prints, scanned my eyes, and if they asked me a question it wasn't so important that I remembered what it was. When we saw the US agent the three of us saw him at the same time, answered a few questions and just reviewed how the program works. He also answered any questions that we had.

I can't see there being a problem if there is a 15 minute gap between the two of you. I am not certain if you can go seperatly (days apart) even though you are married. It might make it easier to leave it how you have it now as they are seeing you at prcatically the same time.

We all three went together to Fort Erie (1 trip) and we also has 3 appointments in a row. I went in on my own first and Lisa and Owen went in together for the Canadian portion of the "interview". Basically they took my finger prints, scanned my eyes, and if they asked me a question it wasn't so important that I remembered what it was. When we saw the US agent the three of us saw him at the same time, answered a few questions and just reviewed how the program works. He also answered any questions that we had.

I can't see there being a problem if there is a 15 minute gap between the two of you. I am not certain if you can go seperatly (days apart) even though you are married. It might make it easier to leave it how you have it now as they are seeing you at prcatically the same time.

:) That's great!! Thanks so much Andrew. I just wasn't sure how this works when there's two (or more) of you. I think we will just go with the appointments I've booked.

The girl on the phone said if you let them know there's two of you when you arrive, they'll likely take you in together but really there's not that much time between the two appointments so if we have to go in separately and wait, so be it! It's all good!

👍

Thanks so much !

Best think is to check you bank exchange website. I have a CC with one bank and DW with another and on same day we get slightly different exchanges. For the record BMO is about about half a cent better than CIBC.

Best think is to check you bank exchange website. I have a CC with one bank and DW with another and on same day we get slightly different exchanges. For the record BMO is about about half a cent better than CIBC.

With TD and and an American borderless acct you get a better rate. I always remind the teller that I have that acct - just to be sure.