What do you want to know about cruising?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 7:42 PM, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

Sh!t I thought I won the lottery when I got one of these !!

pen.jpg.905aa1f054e50dbc2107e3fcbac2c319.jpg

I use them all the time, handy being able to use different colours for different things.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Likewise, that is why they were like gold.

Not that it mattered,  I didn't have my pen licence until I left school anyway.

Not sure I should have one even, now, was once told “it’s not the worst writing I’ve ever seen, but it’s up there” when I asked who the others were, we had all been to the same primary School, hmmmm.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Ball points   what about fountain pens... or ink wells and nibs

Maybe I am getting old

Cheers Don

I still use a fountain pen a lot, there is a fairly solid market still

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I still use a fountain pen a lot, there is a fairly solid market still

Pretty niche market really, I have a pen for my desk, and one for in the car. I doubt I would ever get one for a fountain, especially as I don't have a fountain.😀

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

For anyone who has cruised with Holland America with departures in Australia, what was the general age distribution on the cruises you were on? (I can only find information for the overall line, and I can see from the ships onboard activities and shore tours in AU compared with USA for example that the AU cruises are likely aiming at an older clientele in comparison).  

Thanks 🙂

I've done several HAL cruises. The first was 7 years ago and the most recent was last December. I have noticed a significant shift in age demographic to a younger crowd. The last cruise was a good mix but fewer kids than most other lines.

• Like 1

I would think the itinerary would be a major determinant in the demographic, longer cruises on any line tend to attract an older clientele. That said, I would put HAL as on average closer to Princess cruise than a X or Royal and much older than a Carnival or P&O cruise.

Without statistics to back it up, I believe the age demographic is decreasing for most of the mainstream cruise lines. I've certainly seen that in the last 7.5 years since I started cruising. One only has to look at their marketing to see how it is changing. Both HAL and Celebrity (my two most favoured lines) are certainly attracting younger cruisers. This is reflected on Celebrity by the type of shows they are now featuring. They are more up to date in presentation and content than they used to be, and, in my opinion, rightly so even though my music tastes are stuck in the 60s and 70s.

Age demographic is one thing that does not influence my choice in cruises, it's itinerary and pricing that I look at and if my favoured lines can't give me what I'm after I'll consider others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Without statistics to back it up, I believe the age demographic is decreasing for most of the mainstream cruise lines. I've certainly seen that in the last 7.5 years since I started cruising. One only has to look at their marketing to see how it is changing. Both HAL and Celebrity (my two most favoured lines) are certainly attracting younger cruisers. This is reflected on Celebrity by the type of shows they are now featuring. They are more up to date in presentation and content than they used to be, and, in my opinion, rightly so even though my music tastes are stuck in the 60s and 70s.
Age demographic is one thing that does not influence my choice in cruises, it's itinerary and pricing that I look at and if my favoured lines can't give me what I'm after I'll consider others.
For the long HAL cruises of over 30 days,
1. do they have a show every night or only on some nights?
2. how many production shows will we see in 30 days and how many guest performers like singers clowns, magicians, jugglers and acrobats?
3. how do the shows and entertainment in general compare with Princess and celebrity
Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, drsel said:

For the long HAL cruises of over 30 days,
1. do they have a show every night or only on some nights?
2. how many production shows will we see in 30 days and how many guest performers like singers clowns, magicians, jugglers and acrobats?
3. how do the shows and entertainment in general compare with Princess and celebrity
Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

My longest HAL cruises have been no more than about 16 days. However in answer to your questions

1. On all cruises there have been shows almost every night. (I think that no longer applies on Maasdam).

2. The entertainers, with a couple of exceptions which included a really pathetic American juggler, have been of a high standard, world class in some cases e.g. flautist Jane Rutter et al.

3. Have had only one Princess cruise to compare but found HAL was superior.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, lyndarra said:

My longest HAL cruises have been no more than about 16 days. However in answer to your questions

1. On all cruises there have been shows almost every night. (I think that no longer applies on Maasdam).

2. The entertainers, with a couple of exceptions which included a really pathetic American juggler, have been of a high standard, world class in some cases e.g. flautist Jane Rutter et al.

3. Have had only one Princess cruise to compare but found HAL was superior.

On the Maasdam, it was EXC cruise and there was still a show every night but no production shows as they do not have any production staff on board. They would have the singers, instrumentalists, and such come on and do a show and then have a few of them do a show together. They did have a magician which we heard was good but we were having dinner that night when he was on, but otherwise the shows were the usual class for X or perhaps slightly better than on Princess. 

You are correct. I didn't really check out the shows last time on Maasdam as they clashed with our dinner times, trivia and happy hour (from my increasingly vague memory). Went to  shows (recitals?) in the Lincoln Room as our friends wanted get acquainted with classical (chamber) music which was a new entertainment outlet for them.

The Maasdam does not have the Lincoln Centre.  Chamber music is usually in the Explorers lounge.  The showroom is used for lecturers, interactive workshops, cultural performances and the occasional performer.  It is very different to the other HAL ships.

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

The Maasdam does not have the Lincoln Centre.  Chamber music is usually in the Explorers lounge.  The showroom is used for lecturers, interactive workshops, cultural performances and the occasional performer.  It is very different to the other HAL ships.

You're quite correct. I was thinking of the Noordam. Memory is shot and it was only last December, er, I think. Yep, it was because I had my birthday on board a ship for the first time. Sorry OP.

7 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

Don't be sorry.  I have many a senior moment.  Only know because I love the Maasdam and sail her when I can.

Having my first Maasdam cruise AUK/SYD next February. Good to hear you are happy on her. Looking forward to it as it will be eight years since I was last in Hobart and is when wife and I started Geocaching, buying a GPS at Dick Smiths in Hobart and using it in NZ.