CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Jersey City you can get the PATH train to NYC Penn station. Switch to LIRR. Have relatives pick you up at station

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's definitely another option, but likely to be more expensive even with tolls. A quick check of just Avis shows a $77 rate with an EWR pickup and Jersey City Newport Mall drop off. It would cost about $65 just to get to Jersey City by cab to drop off luggage. It all depends on how much hassle the OP wants to put up with and whether that hassle is driving or riding public transit.

That's definitely another option, but likely to be more expensive even with tolls. A quick check of just Avis shows a $77 rate with an EWR pickup and Jersey City Newport Mall drop off. It would cost about $65 just to get to Jersey City by cab to drop off luggage. It all depends on how much hassle the OP wants to put up with and whether that hassle is driving or riding public transit.

What about the hotel in Newark with direct access to Newark Penn Station? (I can't believe it's so expensive to go from EWR to Jersey City)

What about the hotel in Newark with direct access to Newark Penn Station? (I can't believe it's so expensive to go from EWR to Jersey City)

The Robert Treat or Newark Penn Station Hilton are a good options as well. No reason to pay a lot more money to stay in Jersey City if you're really going to Long Island. Accessible public transit/ cab from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty is an option as well if budget is a concern.

It costs about the same price to go from EWR to Jersey City as it does to go from Jersey City to Cape Liberty or Newark directly to Cape Liberty by cab or car service. Jersey city is great if you're running in and out of NYC to sightsee precruise, but it's really not cost effective as a one night stand.

Edited by 138east

Thanks for all the input in helping us get to Long Island.

Neither my sister or I are comfortable driving here, sorry to say.

We have transportation back to our pre-cruise hotel, we just need to get to Northport Long Island for a day visit (on Saturday - we fly into Newark on Friday - we cruise out of Cape Liberty on Sunday).

We have ridden the LIRR out of Penn Station to Long Island many times. It is just the "getting to" Penn Station we haven't figured out.

After spending the day looking at hotels, we have decided on Hampton Inn at Newark Airport or Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City.

If any of you ever need to navigate Wichita, Kansas I will happily return the favor of information.

We have transportation back to our pre-cruise hotel, we just need to get to Northport Long Island for a day visit (on Saturday - we fly into Newark on Friday - we cruise out of Cape Liberty on Sunday).

We have ridden the LIRR out of Penn Station to Long Island many times. It is just the "getting to" Penn Station we haven't figured out.

After spending the day looking at hotels, we have decided on Hampton Inn at Newark Airport or Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City.

If any of you ever need to navigate Wichita, Kansas I will happily return the favor of information.

Ok - so you're staying two nights precruise. Definitely the Courtyard Jersey City - Hampton Inn at EWR is poorly located at the airport by the truck route 1 & 9 and has no on site food service except breakfast - the hotel has to offer shuttle service to restaurants because there is no place you can even walk to from the hotel.

The Newport PATH station is right at the Courtyard - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html. Service to 33rd & 6th(Herald Square) runs 7x24 - about every 15 minutes starting around 8 am on a Sat. It's one avenue to the LIRR at 7th Ave.

The Newport area of Jersey City has a waterfront boardwalk, restaurants, services, and shopping. You can take a cab or the light rail to Cape Liberty.

The Robert Treat Hotel in Newark offers shuttle service to and from Penn Station. Might be a hotel to look into.

I booked a last minute for april 2 anthem and would love some help. I fly into jfk (aa points forced that airport on me LOL)sat around 3 15 ish and get on the anthem early sunday noonish. I really have no interest in touring nyc. my ideal situation is to get transportation to a comfortable hotel (less than 200$) near the cruise port with a few reasonably priced dining venues ( 25 To 30 pp)or less near by. I would like the hotel to provide the shuttle to the cruise ship . I know this is quite a list does anyone have any ideas

I booked a last minute for april 2 anthem and would love some help. I fly into jfk (aa points forced that airport on me LOL)sat around 3 15 ish and get on the anthem early sunday noonish. I really have no interest in touring nyc. my ideal situation is to get transportation to a comfortable hotel (less than 200$) near the cruise port with a few reasonably priced dining venues ( 25 To 30 pp)or less near by. I would like the hotel to provide the shuttle to the cruise ship . I know this is quite a list does anyone have any ideas

First of all you need to book a car service from JFK to whatever hotel you choose in NJ. Do not plan on taking a cab from NY to NJ.

Both dining venues and cruiseport shuttle are an issue. The closet hotels to the port are in Jersey City and at Newark Airport. At Newark Airport ONLY the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth have near by dining venues such as Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebees, Johnny Rockets and the Jersey Gardens Mall foodcourt. Many EWR hotels offer free breakfast, but have no other food service at all. On Int'l Blvd Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer a cruiseport shuttle add on for $20/pp and $17.50/pp respectively.

If options for a nice dining venue are important, consider the Courtyard in Jersey City which is currently $167 plus tax prepaid or Candlewood Suites which is $125 plus tax prepaid. These hotels are close to restaurants with Hudson riverviews of Manhattan. https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Waterfront+Restaurants&find_loc=Jersey+City%2C+NJ

Cab/car service to the port would run $55-65, but the car service price from JFK should be less than going to the EWR area.

First of all you need to book a car service from JFK to whatever hotel you choose in NJ. Do not plan on taking a cab from NY to NJ.

Both dining venues and cruiseport shuttle are an issue. The closet hotels to the port are in Jersey City and at Newark Airport. At Newark Airport ONLY the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth have near by dining venues such as Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebees, Johnny Rockets and the Jersey Gardens Mall foodcourt. Many EWR hotels offer free breakfast, but have no other food service at all. On Int'l Blvd Embassy Suites and Country Inns offer a cruiseport shuttle add on for $20/pp and $17.50/pp respectively.

If options for a nice dining venue are important, consider the Courtyard in Jersey City which is currently $167 plus tax prepaid or Candlewood Suites which is $125 plus tax prepaid. These hotels are close to restaurants with Hudson riverviews of Manhattan. https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Waterfront+Restaurants&find_loc=Jersey+City%2C+NJ

Cab/car service to the port would run $55-65, but the car service price from JFK should be less than going to the EWR area.

great help thanks took your advise on the candlesuites who would you recommend for transportation ???

great help thanks took your advise on the candlesuites who would you recommend for transportation ???

From JFK to Jersey City get quotes from Dial7 and Carmellimo - look for online coupons. They can also do Jersey City to Cape Liberty, but the hotel might have suggestions for local transportation.

You can also take the accessible light rail to Bayonne ($2.25/pp) and local cab into the port. Post back if you want more details. Candlewood is right at the Harborside light rail station - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

From JFK to Jersey City get quotes from Dial7 and Carmellimo - look for online coupons. They can also do Jersey City to Cape Liberty, but the hotel might have suggestions for local transportation.

You can also take the accessible light rail to Bayonne ($2.25/pp) and local cab into the port. Post back if you want more details. Candlewood is right at the Harborside light rail station - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Hi Carol,

I previously posted. I need assistance from JFK to CapeLiberty. What do you suggest? I'm traveling solo and arrive into JFK at about 7:30 am. Thank you in advance.

Hi Carol,

I previously posted. I need assistance from JFK to CapeLiberty. What do you suggest? I'm traveling solo and arrive into JFK at about 7:30 am. Thank you in advance.

Are you arriving Thur May 25, the morning of the cruise?

Car service is your best and most expensive option. Is public transit an option?

More later as I will be flying today.

Found a great hotel in Newark. Best Western Robert Treat Hotel. It offers free shuttle service to Penn Station Newark every 30 minutes. Taking Uber to cruise port for $20 plus tip.

EMTB did you do a rate quote for Uber? We also are staying at Robert Treat end of April. This is quite a savings from a cab at $50. How are you getting back to hotel or airport from ship?

EMTB did you do a rate quote for Uber? We also are staying at Robert Treat end of April. This is quite a savings from a cab at $50. How are you getting back to hotel or airport from IMG_1484753664.968518.jpg.b6d8a2c13249c5894b3ba5c7cd155c16.jpg Here is the Uber estimate. We are also going to call Uber at the cruise port. We will be returning to the hotel as we do not for home until the following day. Once at the hotel, we will store our bags until check in. We are then taking the shuttle to Penn Station and then taking public transit to Hoboken and NYC for the day. Then return to the hotel in the evening to prepare for our trip home.

EMTB did you do a rate quote for Uber? We also are staying at Robert Treat end of April. This is quite a savings from a cab at $50. How are you getting back to hotel or airport from [ATTACH]402134[/ATTACH] Here is the Uber estimate. We are also going to call Uber at the cruise port. We will be returning to the hotel as we do not for home until the following day. Once at the hotel, we will store our bags until check in. We are then taking the shuttle to Penn Station and then taking public transit to Hoboken and NYC for the day. Then return to the hotel in the evening to prepare for our trip home.

We have the same plans since the latest non stop flight is at 11:20 and I'm afraid of that being too early. Would hate to miss it. I haven't reserved air yet and I'm thinking about driving it. We have driven to New Jersey for a visit to New York before, but 15 hours is a long drive. We don't have any time restraints since we are both retired.

If we fly we will have to come a day early and stay over a day, which will work out okay. Uber sounds like a less expensive ride.

Peymas and emtb12 - could you do us a favor and post back about your experiences with Uber to and from the Robert Treat? The exact amount paid for different rides would be helpful. Folks ask about Uber, but there is almost no info about folks' experiences.

I really liked the Robert Treat - a great value for the money and a very comfortable hotel with much more charm than the EWR hotels. I took public transit to the port with no issue, but Uber would certainly be easier if the price is good.

Peymas and emtb12 - could you do us a favor and post back about your experiences with Uber to and from the Robert Treat? The exact amount paid for different rides would be helpful. Folks ask about Uber, but there is almost no info about folks' experiences.

I really liked the Robert Treat - a great value for the money and a very comfortable hotel with much more charm than the EWR hotels. I took public transit to the port with no issue, but Uber would certainly be easier if the price is good.

I can certainly do that. However my cruise isn't until July. So it will be a while before my review.

I would be happy to report back if I can remember to. We aren't going until the end of April. I booked Robert Treat from your suggestion. Free Shuttle to Penn to go into New York sounds like a plan. I can't believe a cab is so expensive to go the few miles to the port.

I would be happy to report back if I can remember to. We aren't going until the end of April. I booked Robert Treat from your suggestion. Free Shuttle to Penn to go into New York sounds like a plan. I can't believe a cab is so expensive to go the few miles to the port.

Thanks! The cab transportation is expensive because it is 15 miles from the Robert Treat to Cape Liberty, some of which is city driving with lights. It takes a minimum of 30 minutes and the driver has virtually no chance of getting a return fare.

I see that Megabus runs from New Brunswick, Princeton, Ridgewood, and Secaucus NJ, as well as from Manhattan. Are any of the NJ pickups within a reasonable distance from Port Liberty? Looking for a way to get home after a repositioning cruise.

I see that Megabus runs from New Brunswick, Princeton, Ridgewood, and Secaucus NJ, as well as from Manhattan. Are any of the NJ pickups within a reasonable distance from Port Liberty? Looking for a way to get home after a repositioning cruise.

Secaucus isn't that far, about 13 miles. You can call the local Bayonne taxi company Archie's (201) 858-8800 for the cost.

Could you provide more details? Thur Sep 7? Where exactly are you trying to go? From a scheduling standpoint, where is the best place to leave from? Is the best schedule from a bus stop in NYC?

Is accessible public transit with luggage a possibility to get yourself to midtown Manhattan?

Secaucus Taxi is another cab option for Secaucus.

Edited by 138east

Secaucus isn't that far, about 13 miles. You can call the local Bayonne taxi company Archie's (201) 858-8800 for the cost.

Thank you. Further investigation, though, tells me that Megabus doesn't do Secaucus to Pittsburgh (my destination), so it looks like Manhattan is the way to go.

Life was so much easier when all sailings were to and from Manhattan! Go a day or two earlier, enjoy NYC, walk to the ship. Sigh....

Thank you. Further investigation, though, tells me that Megabus doesn't do Secaucus to Pittsburgh (my destination), so it looks like Manhattan is the way to go.

Life was so much easier when all sailings were to and from Manhattan! Go a day or two earlier, enjoy NYC, walk to the ship. Sigh....

Is accessible public transit an option for you?