CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

BEWARE, Hampton Inn Staten Island now longer has a shuttle to the Port unless you book the Park and Cruise rate. We saw the shuttle and booked this hotel for a Trans-Atlantic many months ago. We did not do the more expensive park and cruise rate because we are not parking or returning to Cape Liberty. We were very disappointed to find that they would not take us to the port. They do have airport and ferry transfers on a space available basis. The share a shuttle with Hilton Garden Inn so book transfers early.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Since the posts started about them charging a park/cruise rate, I haven't been recommending these hotels a lot, particularly to folks without a car. The hotels are very nice and many cruisers have enjoyed staying there, but they have become a much pricier alternative.

Thanks Shipstraveler. We stayed at the Hilton Gardens nov 2012, and it was nice. I have been trying to find out if they still offer the "Cruise and go package" and they kept me on hold for 20 minutes! Never did get an answer.

I did call the Hampton (across the parking lot) and they did say they have the package for 189. BUT you have to call the Hilton to reserve the cruiseport shuttle 30 days in advance. I don't think I want to take that chance!

Ok, so now to complicate things...We are debating adding 2 days to our trip to do some sightseeing. Our cruise is June 7-14 2014 Celebrity Summit leaving out of Cape Liberty. We have the flexibility to add the days either before or after.

We would like to see the Statue of Liberty and the 911 memorial. I know there is a lot more to see, but this cruise is already very expensive, so we would like to be as frugal as possible.

What suggestions do you ladies have for me?

Deb

You have to balance time, money and stress.

June 4-7 three nights

Look at aa.com - Ramada Plaza at Newark Airport for $100/night tax included prepaid

Travelocity - Robert Treat in downtown Newark for $141/night tax included prepaid

Marriott - Marriott Courtyard in downtown Newark for $137/night tax included prepaid

Both Downtown Newark hotels have an airport shuttle plus shuttle service to Newark Penn Station to take PATH to downtown NYC for $2.75. The Robert

Treat offers free breakfast.

From the Ramada you will have to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and the train to Newark Penn Station for $8.25/pp each way.

IMO the Robert Treat is your overall best deal because of your time and transportation savings plus the free breakfast. It is also a full service hotel.

Transportation costs to Cape Liberty are about the same from either downtown Newark or Newark Airport.

So I thought I had the hotel sorted out, but now second-guessing myself. We are a family of 7 (DH and I, ,three kids and my in-laws) travelling out of Cape Liberty on July 25 for a five night Bermuda cruise. We are travelling with the Autism on the Seas Group. We are driving in from DC on the 24th. I currently have two rooms booked at the Hilton Newark Airport. My husband was going to have to work on the 24th so was going to take the train us and this seemed like the easiest hotel for him to get a shuttle to the hotel. This is also were the Autism on the Seas staff is staying which allows us to meet the staff and get checked in with the group ahead of time. The rate wasn't bad - $130 per room for two rooms with breakfast buffet for 4 adults. Parking is not included.

Now my husband is not going to take the train, but drive up with us and we will probably take 2 vehicles instead of 1. So now thinking we may want to stay at an exit easier to get on/off with some better dining options? The Hilton restaurant gets terrible reviews and with my autistic son and MIL with mobility issues and two other kids, I really want to eat at the hotel dinner/breakfast.

I looked at the Ramada through trinity which would include parking for 200 (so basically after you factor in taxes at the Hilton saving us $100 total if we opt for the shuttle rather than parking at the port) Any other suggestions or should we just stick with the Hilton? If we take 2 vehicles my in-laws will be following us and they are really not used to urban driving and my understanding is the roads can be a bit confusing around the airport/port area?? The entire point of going up a day early is to minimize stress so don't want to add too much stress with driving in an unfamiliar area and trying to sit through dinner with the kids!!

Thanks

You could try around exit 10 in Edison, or even 8A, 8 or 7A as well.....(off the NJ Tpke)

There is a Courtyard in Edison that's right off the turnpike, and a few others..

Off 7A there is a BRAND NEW Homewood Suites and I checked it out last week...it's beautiful and there is a shopping center about a mile away with a wal mart, liquor store, grocery store and a zillion chain places...and you're about 1 hour-ish from Cape Liberty. I know the area very well!:D There is also a newish, maybe 1 year old Hampton Inn 5 minutes away, plus a Hilton Garden Inn that's opposite the aforementioned shopping center.

Look for Hamilton/Trenton/Robbinsville.

At 8 there are a couple other chains too....

HTH

Then, you're a straight shot up the turnpike to 14A and if you get 138east's directions, you're good to go. I am in the EWR area a LOT and well, NOT a huge fan of some of the hotels as getting to them is a PITA.

You COULD, if you want to be closer, try one of the ones we suggest off exit 13A which are the Residence Inn and Courtyard EWR/Elizabeth, Embassy Suites (about 1 year old) and the Country Inn (which is being renovated)

Edited by megr1125

We booked at the country inn & siutes because of their fabulous breakfast, next to Ihop & ruby Tuesday, free airport shuttle, and shuttle service to port at a minimal cost. We don't have a vehicle, but I do know they have a stay-park-cruise package available at a reasonable cost.

What kinds of restaurants would you be comfortable in?

My high level advice to keep it as simple as possible would be to not stay at all in the airport area because the roads are confusing and the dining options are limited. I would look at hotels near exits 8, 8A, 9, or 10 on the NJ Turnpike. These are much less urban areas so the driving will be easier for your in laws. There is a Hilton Garden near exit 10 that appears to be in your price range fir your date. This will position you within a half hour of the port. Pay the $95/car to park at the port. For a five day cruise it's not worth it to mess with a park/sleep involving shuttle drop offs and pick ups at the port. Much easier to skip the airport altogether and be able to hop in your car and head home when you disembark.

Here are the driving directions into the port from Exit 14A.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

You could try around exit 10 in Edison, or even 8A, 8 or 7A as well.....(off the NJ Tpke)

There is a Courtyard in Edison that's right off the turnpike, and a few others..

Off 7A there is a BRAND NEW Homewood Suites and I checked it out last week...it's beautiful and there is a shopping center about a mile away with a wal mart, liquor store, grocery store and a zillion chain places...and you're about 1 hour-ish from Cape Liberty. I know the area very well!:D There is also a newish, maybe 1 year old Hampton Inn 5 minutes away, plus a Hilton Garden Inn that's opposite the aforementioned shopping center.

Look for Hamilton/Trenton/Robbinsville.

At 8 there are a couple other chains too....

HTH

Then, you're a straight shot up the turnpike to 14A and if you get 138east's directions, you're good to go. I am in the EWR area a LOT and well, NOT a huge fan of some of the hotels as getting to them is a PITA.

You COULD, if you want to be closer, try one of the ones we suggest off exit 13A which are the Residence Inn and Courtyard EWR/Elizabeth, Embassy Suites (about 1 year old) and the Country Inn (which is being renovated)

Is the country inn and suites easy to get on/off? Would actually be about $35 dollars cheaper per room (plus whatever we would save on dinner since I am sure that eating in the Hilton for dinner will be a little pricey for seven of us!) But I always have to factor in convenience!! It doesn't look too difficult to get back on to the turnpike from there, but not sure what the reality is on the ground. It looks plenty easy to get from point a to point b on a map in DC but the reality is much, much different. I am assuming Newark may be similar....

What kinds of restaurants would you be comfortable in?

My high level advice to keep it as simple as possible would be to not stay at all in the airport area because the roads are confusing and the dining options are limited. I would look at hotels near exits 8, 8A, 9, or 10 on the NJ Turnpike. These are much less urban areas so the driving will be easier for your in laws. There is a Hilton Garden near exit 10 that appears to be in your price range fir your date. This will position you within a half hour of the port. Pay the $95/car to park at the port. For a five day cruise it's not worth it to mess with a park/sleep involving shuttle drop offs and pick ups at the port. Much easier to skip the airport altogether and be able to hop in your car and head home when you disembark.

Here are the driving directions into the port from Exit 14A.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

So from exit 8 trough 10 it would be only about a 30 minute drive? I don't want to do an hour drive in the morning. It's only four hours from DC total so was hoping to keep my morning drive to 45 minutes or less. Again, getting checked into the boat and doing muster drills and all of that stuff is the hardest part of a cruise for us since the noise, commotion, waits, etc tend to stress my little guy out resulting in him screaming and crying which stresses me out, so we try and minimize adding too long in a car prior to cruising. Any room rate in about the 125-140 area is great and if it includes parking even better. Prefer somewhere with an included breakfast or inexpensive buffet.

We are comfortable in any family type restaurant. We eat out a lot, but have found quiet restaurants that don't necessarily cater to kids can be hard on us. We can get dirty looks which makes me uncomfortable. We normally have my sons service dog with us, but she isn't coming this trip, so that greatly eases the issue of finding places that we are comfortable in (dog goes everywhere, but hate having to get challenged at places when we are travelling)

Is the country inn and suites easy to get on/off? Would actually be about $35 dollars cheaper per room (plus whatever we would save on dinner since I am sure that eating in the Hilton for dinner will be a little pricey for seven of us!) But I always have to factor in convenience!! It doesn't look too difficult to get back on to the turnpike from there, but not sure what the reality is on the ground. It looks plenty easy to get from point a to point b on a map in DC but the reality is much, much different. I am assuming Newark may be similar....

Yes, much easier than the Hilton. Follow the signs to JERSEY GARDENS so that you're in the correct lane coming off the Turnpike...(of course, if you don't it's not horrible, you'll just approach from the other side...)

We've sent a gazillion people there and I do not recall anyone saying they had issues....Just exit at 13A and stay as far right as you can...you'll see Jersey Gardens Blvd after the toll plaza...stay in that lane. If you miss it, you'll be following the signs to Elizabeth Seaport and IKEA....you'll come to a light, make s right (I think it's Kapinski Blvd) then you'll see the complex of hotels and IHOP on your right...again that's if you MISS the Jersey Gardens sign.

If you go the correct way, you'll see the hotels as you drive on the fly over...you'll make a left at the light, then another left into the complex...

You can eat at the iHop..it's huge. And from 8-10 exits, you're 45-60 mins depending on traffic....but looks like you're opting for 13A so that's your best option IMO.....

There is also a Ruby Tuesday and in the mall, a food court and other stuff. Be advised though, that for the most part, if you forgot something, you will NOT find it in the mall as it's outlets though the Bed Bath & Beyond does have a LOAD of trial size stuff....

hth

Edited by megr1125

Yes, much easier than the Hilton. Follow the signs to JERSEY GARDENS so that you're in the correct lane coming off the Turnpike...(of course, if you don't it's not horrible, you'll just approach from the other side...)

We've sent a gazillion people there and I do not recall anyone saying they had issues....Just exit at 13A and stay as far right as you can...you'll see Jersey Gardens Blvd after the toll plaza...stay in that lane. If you miss it, you'll be following the signs to Elizabeth Seaport and IKEA....you'll come to a light, make s right (I think it's Kapinski Blvd) then you'll see the complex of hotels and IHOP on your right...again that's if you MISS the Jersey Gardens sign.

If you go the correct way, you'll see the hotels as you drive on the fly over...you'll make a left at the light, then another left into the complex...

You can eat at the iHop..it's huge. And from 8-10 exits, you're 45-60 mins depending on traffic....but looks like you're opting for 13A so that's your best option IMO.....

There is also a Ruby Tuesday and in the mall, a food court and other stuff. Be advised though, that for the most part, if you forgot something, you will NOT find it in the mall as it's outlets though the Bed Bath & Beyond does have a LOAD of trial size stuff....

hth

Thanks. I think I will switch us to somewhere at that exit. I had ruled out the Country Inn and Suites because I didn't see that they had military rates but they do for $110 which includes breakfast for four in the room. And parking is only $10 instead of the $18 at the Hilton. The savings will be about $75 which isn't a lot compared to what I am spending on the cruise, but does by a few drinks!!

Appreciate your help. May have more questions as we get closer.

Another option if you come in on the train from Trenton is to walk across the platform and take PATH to Exchange Place for $2.75. Take the elevators up to the street level and walk across the plaza to the light rail station. Buy and validate a ticket for $2.10 and take the light rail to 34th St in Bayonne. Call one if these cab companies to pick you up and take you into the port for about $10:

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

I did this trip in Jan for the Q and it took about 45 minutes from Newark Penn Station to 34th street in Bayonne and was 100% accessible with luggage. I lucked out because Meg was able to have her car service driver swing by and pick me up at the light rail!

Ha ha! It's an option, but I know it's not an option for everyone. At Newark Penn Station PATH is right there across the platform - much easier than finding the well hidden elevator to go downstairs (which was at the front of the platform) and trolling through the downstairs station to find the cab stand, which is what I had to do when I arrived the night before on Amtrak.

The elevator at Exchange Place was a two segment affair and was very slow, but it did the job. Coming out of the station you could see the light rail across the plaza. No problem getting a seat on either train between 9 and 10 am. Most of the trip was above ground and I found it to be an interesting ride. With senior fares, shuttle tip, and Meg's car service driver it cost me $12.05 to get to Cape Liberty from the Robert Treat hotel in Newark.

I am considering using one of the various "China Town" bus services that runs between DC and NY to get to Cape Liberty for a cruise in July. Does anyone know which of these companies drops off close to the cruise terminal? So far, I only see mid-town, Penn Station and Brooklyn. Thanks, KVG

I am considering using one of the various "China Town" bus services that runs between DC and NY to get to Cape Liberty for a cruise in July. Does anyone know which of these companies drops off close to the cruise terminal? So far, I only see mid-town, Penn Station and Brooklyn. Thanks, KVG

Cape Liberty is in Bayonne, NJ, not NY City.

Bolt Bus has service from Union Station in DC to Newark Penn station in NJ. That's about as close to Cape Liberty as you're going to get, but it's a $50 taxi ride or a roundabout ride using two public transit systems plus a short $10 taxi ride to get from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty.