CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

5 minutes ago, 138east said:

What is your sail date?  How many rooms do you need for 8 people?  Bed size requirements?  2 cars?

Thanks, sailing June 6, 2 cars, 2 rooms (4 adults, 4 under 18). Ideally 2 queen beds per room, though we could make due with 2 doubles per room for one night.

34 minutes ago, may_bartram said:

Thanks, sailing June 6, 2 cars, 2 rooms (4 adults, 4 under 18). Ideally 2 queen beds per room, though we could make due with 2 doubles per room for one night.

Queen beds are hard to come by.  The Courtyard Newark Airport has them for your date - $258 tax included with 14 days parking.  No port transportation.

However trinityreservations.com offers 2 doubles plus 21 days parking and round trip port transportation for 4 people for $250 tax included.  I have used this package and was very happy with it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 138east said:

Queen beds are hard to come by.  The Courtyard Newark Airport has them for your date - $258 tax included with 14 days parking.  No port transportation.

However trinityreservations.com offers 2 doubles plus 21 days parking and round trip port transportation for 4 people for $250 tax included.  I have used this package and was very happy with it.

Thanks so much for your input!  I think the Trinity reservation is for the Ramada Plaza, right? Is the Courtyard also listed on Trinity Reservations or would I find it somewhere else?  

9 hours ago, may_bartram said:

Thanks so much for your input!  I think the Trinity reservation is for the Ramada Plaza, right? Is the Courtyard also listed on Trinity Reservations or would I find it somewhere else?  

Yes the Ramada Plaza is on trinityreservations. The Courtyard is a direct booking with Marriott.  Be sure you pick the right Courtyard.  Both are very close to Exit 14 on the Turnpike.  These hotels are among the closest to Cape Liberty.

This is my first time on this blog and prefer not to read the 167 pages, so I hope someone will help me  -- Flying into Newark airport on June 3 and cruising out on June 5 on the Summit.   We arrive Monday afternoon which only leaves Monday evening and all day Tuesday to visit Manhattan.   I have 3 questions.

(1)  What is the better location for lodging -- near the airport or closer to the port?  I have points to use at the Fairfield or Courtyard on airport property.

(2)  How do we use public transportation to get into Manhattan?  How long does it take and where do we arrive within the city?

(3)  We are mobile seniors and have never been to NYC -- can you suggest a day tour company of the city?  A bus in that traffic doesn't sound great but might be our only option for a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Linda

If you want to visit NYC I would recommend staying in a hotel in Jersey City near the Hudson(very safe area)  as the public transport options are much easier from there (Path subway style train into Manhattan) , not to mention great views of the city while walking along the Hudson. Uber prices should be about $30 from the airport to Jersey City or from there to the port.

The path train runs about every 10 minutes and you can either go to the world trade center downtown or up to 33rd street/6th ave in midtown - the hotel should be able to give you specific info to find the entrance and train.

Lacking specific plans, your best bet is to do one of the many  hop-on hop-off bus services that run on a loop within Manhattan. They give you brochures with points of interest so you can decide what to see/do.  Or you can simply walk up from 33rd via broadway/7th ave through times square to central park (about 1.5 miles and  back down 5th ave stopping at stores and Rockefeller center to see a few things.

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
More info

7 hours ago, zeke81 said:

This is my first time on this blog and prefer not to read the 167 pages, so I hope someone will help me  -- Flying into Newark airport on June 3 and cruising out on June 5 on the Summit.   We arrive Monday afternoon which only leaves Monday evening and all day Tuesday to visit Manhattan.   I have 3 questions.

(1)  What is the better location for lodging -- near the airport or closer to the port?  I have points to use at the Fairfield or Courtyard on airport property.

(2)  How do we use public transportation to get into Manhattan?  How long does it take and where do we arrive within the city?

(3)  We are mobile seniors and have never been to NYC -- can you suggest a day tour company of the city?  A bus in that traffic doesn't sound great but might be our only option for a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Linda

What is your hotel budget?  2 people?  Westfieldtraveler is right - for what you want to do, staying in Jersey City is going to be the better location for sightseeing in NYC.  Your travel time in and out if the city and overall hassle will be much less as well as your transportation costs.

For your dates look at Candelwood Suites in Jersey City - they have rates about $200 plus tax.  Other nearby hotels are currently priced much higher because Mon and Tues are business travel nights.  If you have enough Marriott points, look at the Courtyard Marriott at Newport, Jersey City.

You will have to pay for an Uber to Jersey City and from Jersey City to Cape Liberty and use PATH to go into NYC.  There is a light rail station right by Candelwood Suites (Harbourside) if you don’t want to walk to the Newport or Exchange Place PATH stations.

PATH - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Hudson Bergen Light Rail - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

PATH is $2.75/pp.  Senior fare on the light rail is $1.10.  The PATH ride from Newport to 33rd &6th (Herald Square) is about 15 minutes.  The PATH ride from Exchange Place to World Trade is about 4 minutes.

From Candelwood Suites taking the light rail (8th St Bayonne train) to 34th St Bayonne (Cape Liberty stop) is also an option ). I am doing that from Exchange Place this weekend to sail on Anthem. Then Uber into the port.  The light rail is easily accessible with luggage.

My suggestion would be to do the World Trade Center area the Monday you arrive and go to midtown on Tuesday.  It will be light later in June, so you will have a chance to enjoy the Waterfront Walkway on the Hudson River in Jersey City.

138east:

Good morning!  You've helped me before with wonderful info for cruising from Newark! Thank you!  This time we will drive to NY on 6/6 and fly out of JFK (probably 6/7). We board the NCL Pearl in Amsterdam on 6/8/19. We  are 2 senior adults and would need 1 night hotel stay.  We have Hilton and Holiday Inn points that we can use for hotel, however we need parking for our car til 6/22/19. Any advice for long term parking will be much appreciated. We're wondering if it would be better to save points and stay with a "park and fly package" or can we add a nominal parking fee when we have free night with points. Thanks in advance.

55 minutes ago, Cruisingmarmi said:

138east:

Good morning!  You've helped me before with wonderful info for cruising from Newark! Thank you!  This time we will drive to NY on 6/6 and fly out of JFK (probably 6/7). We board the NCL Pearl in Amsterdam on 6/8/19. We  are 2 senior adults and would need 1 night hotel stay.  We have Hilton and Holiday Inn points that we can use for hotel, however we need parking for our car til 6/22/19. Any advice for long term parking will be much appreciated. We're wondering if it would be better to save points and stay with a "park and fly package" or can we add a nominal parking fee when we have free night with points. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I don’t know anything much about JFK except the fact that the New Yorkers are not keen on recommending any hotels at the airport.

I would recommend that you open a new post including all your above info to catch the attention of folks who are familiar with JFK, particularly the long term parking and park/fly packages.Your best strategy might be to drive to the NY metro area on June 6, use your hotel points, and drive to JFK the next day to park.  Chances are that your flight would be leaving late in the day. If you can find a Hilton or Holiday Inn at JFK where you can use your points, call them to see what kind of parking deal they might be able to offer you.

I have been reading through some of the more recent pages on this thread and I'm thinking I may have made a mistake in my hotel booking.  We are flying into LGA the day before the cruise (and I've read the horror stories about LGA, but that couldn't be helped).  I booked a midtown Manhattan hotel for our single night stay.  Now I'm especially worried about the best way to get to the port on Saturday morning.  Not interested in carrying our luggage onto public transportation, so what is our best bet?  

20 minutes ago, cleophus12 said:

I have been reading through some of the more recent pages on this thread and I'm thinking I may have made a mistake in my hotel booking.  We are flying into LGA the day before the cruise (and I've read the horror stories about LGA, but that couldn't be helped).  I booked a midtown Manhattan hotel for our single night stay.  Now I'm especially worried about the best way to get to the port on Saturday morning.  Not interested in carrying our luggage onto public transportation, so what is our best bet?  

If you’re sailing from Cape Liberty, book a car service like Dial 7 or Carmellimo to go to NJ.  Which hotel are you staying in?

Just booked an Anthem 9 night sailing in October.  We are flying into Newark the day before the cruise.  We've never flown into Newark or cruised from this port before.  Instead of reading 167 pages, can someone give me hotel, restaurant, and wine pickup suggestions.  I don't think we'll have enough time to do a train to NYC with those time constraints so just want to Lyft  to hotel and port.  Thank you!

5 hours ago, bayou cruiser said:

Just booked an Anthem 9 night sailing in October.  We are flying into Newark the day before the cruise.  We've never flown into Newark or cruised from this port before.  Instead of reading 167 pages, can someone give me hotel, restaurant, and wine pickup suggestions.  I don't think we'll have enough time to do a train to NYC with those time constraints so just want to Lyft  to hotel and port.  Thank you!

What is your hotel budget?  2 people?  Bed size requirements?

8 hours ago, bayou cruiser said:

Two people, no bed size requirements, and I'd like to keep the budget $150, $200 max. 

Are you looking for Oct 9 or Oct 23? Prices are high because it’s a business travel night. What time does your flight arrive?

Any hotel I would recommend would have a hotel shuttle to and from the airport. However, to get the free shuttles you have to take yourselves and you luggage on the free terminal air train to the P4 air train stop. The problem is the wine - there are no liquor stores at the airport. Also food for dinner can be an issue - many hotels offer free breakfast, but have no restaurant. The closest restaurant would likely be in a neighboring hotel (no local eateries that are walkable) except for the hotels on International Blvd, which are all over your budget for a Wed night in Oct. The only hotel that meets all your criteria is the Robert Treat in downtown Newark. Airport shuttle, within your budget, in house restaurant, access to local restaurants and liquor store, free breakfast, and free WiFi. However, downtown Newark is a highly urban area that you may not want to wander around on foot after dark. I have stayed there and liked the hotel, but I knew exactly what to expect. 

Be on the lookout!!

As the OP, and since this is now almost 5 years old and 100000000 pages long,  I'll be starting a NEW Cape Liberty thread.

I'll link it here ASAP.  I've asked the MODS to please lock this one so look for VERSION 5 coming in a little bit!!