Dress code for *teens* in Grande

borisivan

Hi,

We are bringing our 3 boys on the 2/20 9 night sailing. Can't wait!

They are 17, 14, 12.

We currently have 2 nights scheduled at the Grande and while I understand the dress code for adults, what is the dress code for kids?

Specifically, I will be wearing a jacket & tie, but what do my boys need? They don't have jackets. Dress pants, dress shoes, and a button up shirt acceptable, or not? Hopefully no tie needed too.

My understanding of the dress code in the Grande is its the "formal" restaurant, so jackets are required for men/boys. The only exception is, if you are booked on the first night they relax the rules because not everyone has their luggage in time etc.

I have read other threads that say a jacket is required but having no tie is okay. I would think (and I could be wrong) if the kids are dressed with nice pants and dress shirts it would be fine.

Yeah, I've seen conflicting answers on that too, hence my confusion. :(

I'm hoping that dress pants & dress shirt for boys is acceptable, and jackets are required for the men only. If anyone has confirmation of this, (i.e. outside of the first night), that would be great!

Would you consider throwing ties on them? After all, they aren't exactly children. A 17 year old is within a year of adulthood. Surely a tie isn't that hard to do.

The question about the level of formal attire for the 12 year old would still apply even if the near-adult was dressed to the nines, so would appreciate responses from people intended to be helpful (like most of you are, thanks) instead of condescending.

The question about the level of formal attire for the 12 year old would still apply even if the near-adult was dressed to the nines, so would appreciate responses from people intended to be helpful (like most of you are, thanks) instead of condescending.

I'm sorry, your original question asked about ALL your kids, not the 12 year old. I guess I miss understood the questions "what do my boys need?" Ok, didn't mean to be "condescending." My only point was that ties are easy to pack, it's a Formal Only restaurant, they aren't exactly little children. A tie would be more in keeping with the requested dress. But if you find it condescending, so be it.

Edited by papaflamingo

My DS is 10 but looks 12 or 13. We are also dinning in the Grand 2x. I don't think age overrides dress code any longer at 6 yes but not at 10.

I emailed RCCL and got back a canned answer. That basically said he should wear what he would wear to a formal event on land. He has always done dress shirt and pants for formal nights in the past.

I think the staff is having a hard time balancing keeping the restaurant formal and keeping passengers happy.

In your case I think your 17 and 14 YO should defiantly wear a jacket but 12 is kind of a between age a little more of a grey area.

I found a great deal on a jacket and pants at Nordstrom's rack you could check on line if you don't have one nearby. Check out your local department stores clearance racks or ebay once you have a idea of what size to buy. In my mind it doesn't need to be a fine Italian suit just something to make the boys look formal.

We got basic black and a little big so hopefully we will get 2 years out of it.

My DS is 10 but looks 12 or 13. We are also dinning in the Grand 2x. I don't think age overrides dress code any longer at 6 yes but not at 10.

I emailed RCCL and got back a canned answer. That basically said he should wear what he would wear to a formal event on land. He has always done dress shirt and pants for formal nights in the past.

I think the staff is having a hard time balancing keeping the restaurant formal and keeping passengers happy.

In your case I think your 17 and 14 YO should defiantly wear a jacket but 12 is kind of a between age a little more of a grey area.

I found a great deal on a jacket and pants at Nordstrom's rack you could check on line if you don't have one nearby. Check out your local department stores clearance racks or ebay once you have a idea of what size to buy. In my mind it doesn't need to be a fine Italian suit just something to make the boys look formal.

We got basic black and a little big so hopefully we will get 2 years out of it.

I was 13-14 on my first cruise and my parents expected me to suit-up on formal nights. I'd definitely say 12 is on the hairy edge of non-jacket acceptable.

Have your boys ask their friends if any have jackets they can borrow for the trip. We did this for a few sailings and it is amazing what some friends do actually have. We finally "bit the bullet" and bought my son his own inexpensive one. Once he had it, it was surprising how much he could actually use it! Of course that was once he wasn't growing multiple sizes in a year.

Can't find it right now but the dress suggestions do state children should follow the same rules as adults.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from an 11night on the Quantum. Ate at Grande 3 times, brought our12 year old son with us. While I wore a sport jacket our son wore nice dress pants and a dress shirt. No problem whatsoever. He looked great and was never hassled