Nationwide Cruise Insurance?

niklynn1

That's not the typical CFAR (Cancel for Any Reason) coverage.

The at least 48 hours in advance is typical for the real CFAR coverage, which is usually optional.

Are you referring to regular cancellation coverage?

That's probably it. The 48 hours is for CFAR as opposed to cancelling for medical reasons.

• 1 month later...

Does nationwide also include the plane trips connected to the cruise? We are going with Hal and bought the flight thru them too. Full payment is not due until August so I was going to purchase insurance a week prior to the full payment.

Does nationwide also include the plane trips connected to the cruise? We are going with Hal and bought the flight thru them too. Full payment is not due until August so I was going to purchase insurance a week prior to the full payment.

From a negative review on the IMT site, it appears that it does not cover flight delays which result in your missing the cruise. I'd suggest talking to the IMT customer service folks to verify this (or Nationwide themselves). BTW this is why I think that this insurance seems to be most suitable for someone who can drive to their cruise.

As promised - I wanted to post that Nationwide paid our cruise claim.

Our family had to cancel a cruise back in March at the last minute for an unexpected illness requiring our DD to be hospitalized. Once I mailed the required paperwork we received reimbursement as promised. Paid for everything in full. The only snafu was due to state regulations. We bought our airline tickets with partial Southwest credit. Those of us who live in Missouri were reimbursed in full for the airline tickets - both the amount bought with airline credit as well as the remainder that had been charged on our credit card. The one Arkansas resident due to state regulations did not receive reimbursement for the Southwest airline credit - but did receive reimbursement for the airfare portion purchased with the credit card.

The plan was Nationwide Essential. Coverage was comprehensive, but not cancel for any reason. We had the pre-existing waiver which may or may not have made a difference.

We were pleased as we were fully reimbursed for our travel expenses except the portion of the airline ticket that was purchased with airline credit.

Reimbursement was received in about 3 weeks from sending the paperwork.

It was a little work gathering all the information but was definitely worth it to not have lost the money we had invested in our trip.

I purchased from an online broker insuremytripdotcom.

Hope this info helps someone else.

As promised - I wanted to post that Nationwide paid our cruise claim.

The plan was Nationwide Essential. Coverage was comprehensive, but not cancel for any reason. We had the pre-existing waiver which may or may not have made a difference.

We were pleased as we were fully reimbursed for our travel expenses except the portion of the airline ticket that was purchased with airline credit.

I purchased from an online broker insuremytripdotcom.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Thanks for the update, Nationwide seems more reliable than many of the companies reviewed at insuremytrip website. We will probably go with their Choice Cruise plan, slightly more than Essential but it allows pre-existing waiver if purchased before or at final payment and it has the additional cruise only features others have mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I just made my final payment tonight and went to buy this insurance again. It appears that they have removed the itinerary change benefit, except in the case of a pre-paid excursion, and then only if it happens before the cruise departs. I ended up buying the Choice coverage anyway since I wanted the pre-existing coverage, but I'll certainly be investigating further before buying this again and suggest that others do the same.

So, I just made my final payment tonight and went to buy this insurance again. It appears that they have removed the itinerary change benefit, except in the case of a pre-paid excursion, and then only if it happens before the cruise departs. I ended up buying the Choice coverage anyway since I wanted the pre-existing coverage, but I'll certainly be investigating further before buying this again and suggest that others do the same.

It looks similar, but the amounts may be lower and more broken out? At least what you see before you buy. Here is what the page shows currently;

Itinerary Changes - $500

Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)

Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA) - $100

Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion - $250

This is what our plan from October 2015 indicated. This was from a purchased plan documents.

ITINERARY CHANGE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the

Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – INCONVENIENCE

In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary after Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum

Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus that

affects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or

5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – PRE-PAID EXCURSION

In the event a Cruise makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your actual departure date that prevents You from

participating in an event/activity pre-paid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, nonrefundable pre-paid

event/activity expenses will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled during the course of the Trip.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

I simply don't see how an itinerary change coverage is sustainable before departure.

• 2 years later...

I just researched and compared several cruise insurance policies and Nationwide seems to offer the only “missed connection” coverage that I’m comfortable with since I need to fly to the cruise port location. Most policies require a flight delay of 24 hours or more, which is almost useless.

MISSED CONNECTION

If inclement weather causes a covered delay of 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airlines and you miss your cruise departure, this plan will reimburse up to (varies by policy with a minimum of $500 per person) for expenses to help you rejoin your ship (see coverage details below)

The Company will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if You miss Your Cruise departure, scheduled during Your Trip, that results from cancellation or delay, for three (3) or more hours, of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather.
Benefits are provided for:
•    additional transportation expenses needed for You to join Your departed Cruise;
•    reasonable accommodation and meal expenses (up to the limit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage);
and
•    pre-paid nonrefundable Trip payments for the unused portion of Your Cruise.

Coverage is secondary to any compensation provided by a Common Carrier. Coverage will not be provided to individuals who are able to meet their scheduled departures but cancel their Cruise due to Inclement Weath