A Tour that I did 40 years ago that was just as great as then!

rkacruiser

1975, aboard the old Statendam docked at Fort de France, I did a tour that went North along the coast to St. Pierre with a stop for a short visit there. The tour bus then proceeded East and South, into the mountains and rain forest, along twisting roads, uphill; downhill; returning us to the city. It was a scenic, interesting tour.

On my recent Noordam visit to Fort de France, I was pleased to see that this same tour was offered. I booked it and was not disappointed! It was interesting to see the improvements in the infrastructure from 1975. Roads now are better paved with concrete barriers along the sides where there are very sharp turns along the winding roads.

Our guide was excellent and the bus driver's skills excellent as well. The guides commentary was informative and her English was very understandable.

I last visited Fort de France on the QM2 a few years ago and was not impressed. The island has become much more visitor friendly since then. And, that includes a docking pier that has a cushioned walking surface. I am looking forward to a return visit.