Is water on ship ok to drink?

bendecida

Any other ladies out there ever notice how much easier it is to fix your hair when cruising? There seems to be something magical about the ship's water - wish my water at home was as magical! It makes my hair so much softer and fuller!

Not sure where you hail from, but I'm from landlocked Alberta where the air is so very dry. Whenever we vacation in a place that's more humid, my skin and hair get so much softer.

My family teases me because I'm always saying, "Feel my hair/skin ... it's so soft". I feel like I drop ten years in a few days of humid air.

Of course, it all gets sucked right out of me on the flight home. :(

Edited to Stay on-topic: And umm, yes, I drink the ship tap water.

Edited by CanadianDee

• 4 weeks later...
All water onboard is the same water, all sinks, showers, galleys, laundry, etc. It comes from 3 sources: some is loaded from port, some is distilled from sea water, and some is processed from sea water by reverse osmosis. All of this water is chlorinated before it goes into the ship's tanks, and is continuously chlorinated while recirculating around the ship. The USPH has strict requirements for sanitizing and chlorinating water on cruise ships that call at US ports.

Due to the higher chlorination that USPH requires (above municipal requirements), some people do not like the taste of ship's water. The water from the drink dispensers, water fountains, bar guns (soft drinks), and ice makers have charcoal filters to remove the chlorine (more for maintenance issues in the machinery than taste), and those who don't like the taste of the water from the cabin sink don't mind the restaurant/bar water.

Short answer, the water onboard is generally safer to drink than most municipal water supplies in the US.

Don't forget that ship's water is better than most (if not all) bottled water as well:

http://wric.com/2015/06/22/niagara-bottling-issues-recall-for-bottled-water-products-due-to-possible-contamination/

Don't forget that ship's water is better than most (if not all) bottled water as well

And a whole lot cheaper as well! :D

Some brands of bottled water get their water straight from the tap, just as you do at home. Several sources, including the one below, report that at least 25% of expensive bottled water comes directly from municipal water suppliers. An example is Wal-Mart, who is under investigation for sourcing their bottled water from Sacramento, California's municipal water supply even as a state of emergency is in place due to the diminishing water supplies as a result of four years of drought in that state.

Sacramento sells water to a bottler, DS Services of America, at 99 cents for every 748 gallons - the same rate as other commercial and residential customers. That water is then bottled and sold at Walmart for 88 cents per gallon, meaning that $1 of water purchased from Sacramento turns into $658.24 for Walmart and DS Services.

BOTTLED WATER SOURCES

http://www.allaboutwater.org/tap-water.html

WAL-MART

http://www.weather.com/science/environment/news/walmart-bottled-water-sacramento-municipal-supply-drought

Edited by SantaFeFan