Why stop in San Juan? - Just curious.

Spike2000

Hello,

San Juan is OK...but there must be some requirement/necessity that I am not aware of. (is there a requirement?)

I have been to San Juan quite a few times (Just back a couple of weeks ago). We are taking our 3 kids (ages 8,9 & 11) on their 1st cruise in May.

For the 7 night (Independence of the Seas) cruise we have booked, the only ports are San Juan, St Kitts & St Martin. :confused: San Juan always feels like a somewhat wasted stop to me and I have always wondered why they stop there. Does Puerto Rico require that the ships stop there or something similar?

We didn't quite think it over when we booked this itinerary for our kids 1st cruise. I think that we will do the bio kayak tour but with that said, it's quite a bit of work to do with 3 kids. (I hope they like it) I sure wish they would have given us at least 1 more port but oh well...

Even a generic stop like St Thomas would be far more fun compared to San Juan. (just my opinion)

Edited by Spike2000

Funny. San Juan and the bio bay is the main reason I booked this itinerary. I have never been to San Juan, though, so I am excited about it. We like the 3 sea days because it is extended family and my dad can't do many excursions so it is more time to spend with my mom and him. If it was just my hubby and kids I would want 4 port days, so I know where you're coming from. Sorry I don't have an answer to your original question, just wanted to put my 2 cents in a out San Juan.

Old San Juan is beautiful. The historical fort at harbor entrance is a real treat. It's a lot cleaner, safer, and less pushy than other ports. If it was my first trip ever to San Juan I wouldn't want to go kayaking, that would be missing out on the unique things in San Juan.

We've only been to San Juan once, on our first cruise I think. It was one of our most memorable ports to date. We just wandered the old city , did a little shopping, explored the forts, had lunch, all on our own time.

We had a great day.

Edited by HorrorFan

We've only cruise 6 times and all with DCL (Bahamas/Caribbean itineraries). San Juan was our favourite port (aside from Castaway Cay) and wished they didn't bother stopping at St. Maarten or St. Thomas (last few times, we didn't even bother getting off the ship). San Juan is beautiful. It was the best port we've been to and no pushy vendors.:)

We booked that cruise for the sole purpose of going to San Juan.

I can't see it as being a requirement...I would think it was a definite plus.

Edited by dvcdisney

I wondered that too. Our Liberty cruise stopped there from 3pm-10pm. It was such weird timing that we didn't really feel like we could do anything. We walked around a little and had a few beers at the pier, then went back on the ship. I wonder if we had been there from like 8am-10pm, or even 8am-6pm, would it have been different? We also had a bad incident with a man trying to con us out of money (we heard from others on the ship who ran into him--and yes, I know, that can happen anywhere). Of course no one forced us off the ship, but when the ship stops somewhere I haven't been, it's nice to be able to explore it. I've heard a lot of great things about San Juan--we just didn't get that from our stop there.

Now don't get me started on Nassau...:eek:

You can add me to the list of folks who love an Juan. I always look forward to returning. But I really dislike the short time in port. San Juan is deserving of a full day just like other port calls. Indy is usually in port from 7 AM to 2 PM. Nothing really opens until 9 AM and you have to be back on the ship by 1:30 so options for activities are really limited.

We have a 7-2pm port stop too... To me I feel it's not enough and will like a longer port stop to be able to see more things...

But on the other hand, if we love San Juan..We could always fly there and stay for a couple of days. Or return again on a cruise and see the other part of the city (new san juan)..

Btw we have 3 days back to Fort lauderdale with Labadee in between..so maybe its a stop to replenish goods since its part of the US.

Interesting..In my 17 cruises (and 2 upcoming), no stops at San Juan. I really really want a cruise itinerary for that port! LOL.

Now, Cozumel and Nassau--those I have stopped what feels like hundreds of times (obviously not since I haven't cruised that much). It feels like those 2 ports are mandatory for Eastern and Western cruises.

One of these days I'll get to San Juan, I'm sure!

We enjoy the stop in San Juan. Many interesting places to eat lunch, and lots of history there. A San Juan stop is a plus for us.

The only cruise that I did where San Juan wasn't the embarkation point was Voyager, Eastern itinerary in 2006. The only bad thing was there was only about 4 hours in port on that itinerary, the same for Nassau making both less than desirable. At that time it was Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan, and Labadee.

I enjoy San Juan a lot! I have a lot of family who live in Puerto Rico and it is apart of my heritage so I enjoy going for that reason alone. I've only been three times and I wish I could go more often! My aunt and uncle usually pick us up from the port and they are our "tour guides" and we often do different excursions for free because my uncle is a police officer over there and gets us all in. Last time we did the fort and it was amazing! There are some really awesome views from up there and great history about the place. If you don't really want to do the fort maybe just have a beach day and go out to eat! Everyone enjoys eating!!! :D

You can add me to the list of folks who love an Juan. I always look forward to returning. But I really dislike the short time in port. San Juan is deserving of a full day just like other port calls. Indy is usually in port from 7 AM to 2 PM. Nothing really opens until 9 AM and you have to be back on the ship by 1:30 so options for activities are really limited.

I agree. That doesn't seem like enough time to visit. I can imagine being rushed would affect the enjoyment of the port.

I guess we were lucky to get a port time of 8am - 4:30pm. We were off the ship around 9:30am and was back around 3pm and we felt we were able to have a leisure tour of the area. Would love to do it again.

We have stopped in SJU 4 times and we embarked from there on a reposition cruise.

I had wanted to do the Bio tour when we were there--but, it was a full moon and not available. Isla Verde is the beach area of San Juan [next to the airport]. it is quite nice and only a $20 cab ride from the pier.

I do not think you will be able to visit the El Morro Fort this visit. Until June the Fort suggests you arrive by 4PM for a visit. However, the open field in front of the fort is a favorite place for children to fly kites. There was quite a crowd doing this one time when we were there. There were vendors selling cheap kites [$3--nothing fancy]

It is an easy walk down hill back to the port. There is a free trolley but we have never been able to catch it.

It's weird, I've left from SJ at least 6 times on different cruise lines and have gone on land vacations there, but I've never had a cruise ship stop there. When you stop there, do you come into the Pan American terminal, or into the town (like where I depart for Carnival)?

Day stops are usually at the old San Juan pier. [i have never heard of them using the Pan Am--but, it did not want to say always. :p] Embarkation is at the Pan Am pier.

Hello,

San Juan is OK...but there must be some requirement/necessity that I am not aware of. (is there a requirement?)

I have been to San Juan quite a few times (Just back a couple of weeks ago). We are taking our 3 kids (ages 8,9 & 11) on their 1st cruise in May.

For the 7 night (Independence of the Seas) cruise we have booked, the only ports are San Juan, St Kitts & St Martin. :confused: San Juan always feels like a somewhat wasted stop to me and I have always wondered why they stop there. Does Puerto Rico require that the ships stop there or something similar?

We didn't quite think it over when we booked this itinerary for our kids 1st cruise. I think that we will do the bio kayak tour but with that said, it's quite a bit of work to do with 3 kids. (I hope they like it) I sure wish they would have given us at least 1 more port but oh well...

Even a generic stop like St Thomas would be far more fun compared to San Juan. (just my opinion)

Don't confuse your personal preferences with universal truth. Of course there's not a requirement to stop in San Juan, that's silly. Sorry you've been to a cruise port so much you're bored of it (first world problem for sure), but for plenty of people SJ is one of their favorite stops. Keep in mind there are thousands of others on the ship who aren't you.

Edited by BamaGuy44