My Time Dining question

CuseJeff44

I think that once you get onboard you will have no problem getting everyone on MTD or on Main time in the MDR. As soon as you board head to the MDR and work it out with the Maitre'd. It might take a day to get it organized but it shouldn't be a problem...they will do everything they can do to make it right for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on Jewel and did the MTD and it was wonderful. We were worried how it would work, since we had only done traditional before this cruise. To us it seemed a lot like the traditional.

We set up our reservation when we boarded and except for the first night (muster drill delay) we sat in the same section with the same wait staff.

We have traditional set time dining for the late sitting. What are the chances of being able to change to MTD once on board? When we booked we were told there were no more spaces on MTD and had to choose set time. Which we feel is either too early or too late, we would ideally prefer 7 - 7.30 ish.

We will be on the Explorer next month. Thanks.

We have traditional set time dining for the late sitting. What are the chances of being able to change to MTD once on board? When we booked we were told there were no more spaces on MTD and had to choose set time. Which we feel is either too early or too late, we would ideally prefer 7 - 7.30 ish.

MTD is packed around 7 pm, you may have to choose a different time in order to walk right in as opposed to waiting 20-30 minutes.

I'm so glad most of you have had a good experience with RCI's My Time Dining. We, did not and since trying it have stuck with specific set dining times. Maybe they changed the process now, as we tried it shortly after it came out, but it didn't work for us at all. We were asked to look at the daily schedules at the beginning of the cruise and then pick what time we'd like to eat for the reminder of the cruise and make a reservation for that time. In our opinion they missed the benefit of "My Time" dining. We liked the idea of just being able to go up and eat when we were ready or hungry - but that definitely didn't work on our trip.

I'm sorry that you didn't understand that you could have gone down to eat anytime you wanted, with or without a reservation. Of course they would prefer that everyone make a reservation and show up on time, that would make it easier on the staff, but it's only a suggestion. You can go at any time. During peak times you might wait 5-10 minutes for a table if you don't have a reservation, but you will not be turned away at any time you show up to eat.

We completely understand the concept of MTD but found that the diningroom staff was very pushy in trying to get us to make reservations. Every time we just "showed up" they would ask if we had reservations and then tell us we should make them; upon leaving, they would ask what time we wanted reservations the following evening.

We never waited long for tables on any evening.

We love the idea of dining when we want to and don't plan on making reservations; defeats the entire premise IMHO.

We completely understand the concept of MTD but found that the diningroom staff was very pushy in trying to get us to make reservations. Every time we just "showed up" they would ask if we had reservations and then tell us we should make them; upon leaving, they would ask what time we wanted reservations the following evening.

We never waited long for tables on any evening.

We love the idea of dining when we want to and don't plan on making reservations; defeats the entire premise IMHO.

I think it has changed. There was one check in podium for reservations and one for walk ups. We were never asked to make reservations except in pre cruise emails. The staff got to know us and we always sat in the same section whether it was the 2 of us or we had friends join us.

Jess

Can you sit with others (that you don't come in with) ; don't want to get stuck with just us two all the time.

Lisagro, we have used MTD or other variants on other lines whenever it has been available.

We have never eaten as just a couple.

When we arrive we just announce we are a pair and happy to share as big a table as available.

We have always been taken straight in and seated on a table for 8 or more.

I'll be honest, I don't think we've ever been compelled to worry about were we are seated or who our servers are.

The flexibility and still getting to meet plenty of fellow cruisers suits us.

Ben.

Hi lovetoholiday, we're booked on the Explorer next month as well.

Have you asked to be wait-listed for MTD?

When we booked, we were informed that only early and late seating options available and put on MTD wait-listed. Within a couple weeks we were changed to MTD.

If that is not an option, go to the main dining room when you board and ask to change then.

We have never had problems getting in at any time, and never make reservations, but we always ask to share the bigger tables.

I think sometimes there can be a small wait at busy times for a table for two/four.

Ben

Just off Serenade OTS. We did MTD for the first time. We booked table times ahead and on the day we boarded, we went to the dining room and specified we wanted a table for 2 (couldn't do that ahead of time on MTD on SOTS).

Our request was granted and it was easy each day.

On the other side of that coin, there was a group of 10 that had read on RCL website about being able to walk up any time and get a table - the ease of MTD, etc. All of that is true, but very difficult to walk up at 6 pm and get a table for 10 without a wait or breaking up the group.

I would say for small table, you can probably be flexible, but if you are a larger group or want to specify something (like always sitting at table for 2), you should make these requests asap - online or on the day of embarkation.

The 10 person group was disappointed and had to be broken up into a couple of tables. None of them had ever heard of Cruise Critic and the only research they did was on RCL site...

I think it has changed. There was one check in podium for reservations and one for walk ups. We were never asked to make reservations except in pre cruise emails. The staff got to know us and we always sat in the same section whether it was the 2 of us or we had friends join us.

Jess

I do hope that is the case as we do not plan on making reservations. And yes, there was only one place to check in , but there were two lines.

I do think that we may try calling just in advance of dining once we know what time we'll go down.

Hi lovetoholiday, we're booked on the Explorer next month as well.

Have you asked to be wait-listed for MTD?

When we booked, we were informed that only early and late seating options available and put on MTD wait-listed. Within a couple weeks we were changed to MTD.

If that is not an option, go to the main dining room when you board and ask to change then.

We have never had problems getting in at any time, and never make reservations, but we always ask to share the bigger tables.

I think sometimes there can be a small wait at busy times for a table for two/four.

Ben

Thank you londonben, we were never offered the option to be wait-listed, but we will go asap and let them know we would prefer it if possible We are always happy to share a table. :)

Thanks for the replies. Since the reservation system only allowed us to choose 5:30, 5:45, or after 7:30, I wasn't sure if we would be able to just walk in around 6. We have done this type of dining on other cruise lines without reservations, but we are first time Royal Caribbean cruisers and some reviews have mentioned long wait times if you don't have a reservation.

Just wondering if this is common not to be able to book between 5:45pm and 7:30? Or would those times have been taken?

Just wondering if this is common not to be able to book between 5:45pm and 7:30? Or would those times have been taken?

Our dining reservations just opened up for our June sailing and there were no MTD times available between 5:45 and 7:30. I can't believe they were already taken. It seems more likely that the cruiseline has blocked them, since it's such a popular block of time. They should be available upon boarding.

Our dining reservations just opened up for our June sailing and there were no MTD times available between 5:45 and 7:30. I can't believe they were already taken. It seems more likely that the cruiseline has blocked them, since it's such a popular block of time. They should be available upon boarding.

As posted above - on NAV, there were no bookings after 5:45 until 7. This is because almost all tables are planned to be filled. It's walk up only during that time and you very well may have a 10-15 min wait.

That sucks. The whole appeal of MTD for us is to be able to coordinate dinner with the shows (on Allure)...so 5:30pm or 5:45pm is ok for most nights but sometimes there are shows at 5pm and something later so would prefer to lock in a time around 6 or 6:30pm. :(

Edited by LuCruise

That sucks. The whole appeal of MTD for us is to be able to coordinate dinner with the shows (on Allure)...so 5:30pm or 5:45pm is ok for most nights but sometimes there are shows at 5pm and something later so would prefer to lock in a time around 6 or 6:30pm. :(

It shouldn't be a problem. When you board go to the dining room and make the reservations you want.

I was hoping to go back yo RCI, but what you describe is not Freestyle or YTD. We just show up any time we want on MCL and Carnival and have never waited.

You don't need to reserve, you can just show up. There may be a small wait during the most popular time slot.

FWIW, we have sailed on both CCL and NCL - we did occasionally experience short waits on both, no longer or shorter than those on RC. The one huge difference on NCL was their outright rudeness at accommodating our group of 11 (booked as a group and even when given a "heads up" on desired time the previous evening). We were even willing to take two nearby tables and you'd thought we had asked for the moon.

I do like the fact that RC tries to seat you with the same dining staff at MTD. I'm sure it makes it easier if they know the time you are dining. It also increases the likelihood of increasing the gratuities for excellent service.

It shouldn't be a problem. When you board go to the dining room and make the reservations you want.

Ah ok...so it's just online that you can't book times between 5:45pm and 7:30pm? But in person, you can book them? I've heard there are long waits if you don't book which is why it seems better to have a time. We're the type of family that doesn't mind a schedule...especially when coming with kids.

Ah ok...so it's just online that you can't book times between 5:45pm and 7:30pm? But in person, you can book them? I've heard there are long waits if you don't book which is why it seems better to have a time. We're the type of family that doesn't mind a schedule...especially when coming with kids.

It may depend on the ship and the particular time you wish to dine, but we have never experienced a lengthy wait (more than five or six minutes) when we arrived in My Time Dining even at supposedly peak times. Having a reserved time may make things more comfortable for you so when you first board the ship, I'd recommend going directly to the dining room to reserve a time you want.

You can either reserve online or on boarding day...infact if you want you can reserve your table any time of the day before dinner that is. Or just walk in..

On our cruise, we asked for a table of 2 and the same section every night..when we tried to reserve a table earlier, they told us it was full and they usually put people who reserve their table on boarding day the same time every night..so that pose a problem so we had to come at 8.30pm every night. We had to abandon the MDR one night because of the Ice show we had at 8.30pm

However, there was a couple of nights when we decided to eat early. We showed up but they said they were full. But gave us a pager and told us to come back when the pager rang. They also told us that the table we were getting was having desert and it should not be long.

We had a wait for about 15mins or so for each night we did not make a reservation. This was after the first show at around 7.40pm. The last night was at 6.pm.

Edited by WaveSplasher

You can either reserve online or on boarding day...infact if you want you can reserve your table any time of the day before dinner that is. Or just walk in..

On our cruise, we asked for a table of 2 and the same section every night..when we tried to reserve a table earlier, they told us it was full and they usually put people who reserve their table on boarding day the same time every night..so that pose a problem so we had to come at 8.30pm every night. We had to abandon the MDR one night because of the Ice show we had at 8.30pm

However, there was a couple of nights when we decided to eat early. We showed up but they said they were full. But gave us a pager and told us to come back when the pager rang. They also told us that the table we were getting was having desert and it should not be long.

We had a wait for about 15mins or so for each night we did not make a reservation. This was after the first show at around 7.40pm. The last night was at 6.pm.

While we became quite accustomed to receiving pagers when we dined on Princess ships, we have never received one on any of our many cruises on RCi whether we had advance reservations or simply showed up without reservations. Apparently it can or does happen on occasion, but the practice, in our experience, is not widespread and we never had a wait of more than 10 minutes when the folks dining before us were a bit tardy in finishing up and leaving.:)

It is my experience that they don't allow certain times to be booked online but those times ARE available once you are on the ship. My guess is that it encourages people into making reservations at less desired times to attempt to space people out over the course of the evening.

The few times on our 26 days on the Brilliance last May when we just showed up, instead of coming at our reserved time, they were very pleasant about it and we never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes, even during "peak" times. And all but once, when we came without a reservation, we still got to sit in our favorite waiter's area. The one time they couldn't accommodate us, the waiter we loved came over and checked on us a few times to make sure the other waiter was taking good care of us. We gave her our WOW card both legs of our B2B.