Hotels?

parttimr

We are coming in to NOLA on Jan 12 a couple days before our cruise on the Carnival Triumph on Jan 14.

any good deals on a hotel near the cruise port for the 2 nights before the cruise?

Saw this express deal on Priceline for $97 per night. Anyone know which hotels these may be?

6D97D5C2-357B-4ECE-8061-434B40283E35.png

Edited by myblubu

13 hours ago, myblubu said:

We are coming in to NOLA on Jan 12 a couple days before our cruise on the Carnival Triumph on Jan 14.

any good deals on a hotel near the cruise port for the 2 nights before the cruise?

Saw this express deal on Priceline for $97 per night. Anyone know which hotels these may be?

6D97D5C2-357B-4ECE-8061-434B40283E35.png

I don't know the priceline hotels as well as the hotwire ones. On Hotwire I can tell you the Warehouse District 3* all suites with 85% recommendation for $98 is the Hyatt Place New Orleans Convention Center. The Warehouse District 4* with 95% recommendation for $101 is the Cambria. The Warehouse District 3.5* with 85% recommendation for $102 is the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center.  Those would be the ones closest to the port.

Edited by Saint Greg

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I don't know the priceline hotels as well as the hotwire ones. On Hotwire I can tell you the Warehouse District 3* all suites with 85% recommendation for $98 is the Hyatt Place New Orleans Convention Center. The Warehouse District 4* with 95% recommendation for $101 is the Cambria. The Warehouse District 3.5* with 85% recommendation for $102 is the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center.  Those would be the ones closest to the port.

Thanks Greg!

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

One more question: if staying at any of those hotels, would we close to things to do and see in NOLA?  None of us have ever been there and since we just booked the cruise, we’re trying to figure out how to make the best of the 2 days we have there prior to the cruise. 

20 minutes ago, myblubu said:

One more question: if staying at any of those hotels, would we close to things to do and see in NOLA?  None of us have ever been there and since we just booked the cruise, we’re trying to figure out how to make the best of the 2 days we have there prior to the cruise. 

I would highly recommend checking out the WWII museum if that interests you. It's one of the top museums in the country and 3-4 blocks from the Hyatt and Hilton Garden. Cambria would be a couple blocks further from it but a couple blocks closer to the French Quarter. Plan 5 hours if you do go.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

Normally I would say you can just take the streetcar from Julia street to the French Quarter but with construction on the new four seasons hotel, that streetcar stop is closed. It's supposed to be replaced with a shuttle according to the article I read but I haven't used it or heard of anyone using it.

https://wgno.com/2018/07/30/two-stops-on-riverfront-streetcar-line-suspended-for-four-seasons-hotel-construction/

From the Cambria you'd be about 4 blocks from the French Quarter and from the others it would be more like 6-7 blocks.

27 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I would highly recommend checking out the WWII museum if that interests you. It's one of the top museums in the country and 3-4 blocks from the Hyatt and Hilton Garden. Cambria would be a couple blocks further from it but a couple blocks closer to the French Quarter. Plan 5 hours if you do go.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

Normally I would say you can just take the streetcar from Julia street to the French Quarter but with construction on the new four seasons hotel, that streetcar stop is closed. It's supposed to be replaced with a shuttle according to the article I read but I haven't used it or heard of anyone using it.

https://wgno.com/2018/07/30/two-stops-on-riverfront-streetcar-line-suspended-for-four-seasons-hotel-construction/

From the Cambria you'd be about 4 blocks from the French Quarter and from the others it would be more like 6-7 blocks.

Thanks again!  You are a wealth of information!

1 hour ago, myblubu said:

Some other options if you want to be in or closer to transportation to the french quarter.

3* French Quarter Bourbon Street 95% recommendation $113 - Sheraton Four points..This is one of the hotels on Bourbon Street..a very good price for weekend nights.

3.5* French Quarter-Bourbon Street 90% recommendation $116  - Holiday Inn Chateau LaMoyne - If you want the French Quarter hotel exprerience but a block off of Bourbon Street.

4* Central Downtown 90% recommendation $117 - Intercontinental - right on the St. Charles Streetcar line...and really just 3-4 blocks from the french quarter

3* Central Downtown 75% recommendation $91 - The Blake - right on the St. Charles Streetcar line.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize in advance for offering unsolicited advice but I cannot help myself.  Mark Twain is rumored to have said "America has only three great cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland".  I have never been to Cleveland but I have been a frequent traveler (business and pleasure) to New Orleans for over 30 years.  Since New Orleans will be the most interesting port that you visit on your cruise, why not spend a few days to enjoy it?  Not just Bourbon Street, Jackson Square, and Cafe Du Monde but the Garden District, the Faubourg Marigny, and the Bywater.  Listen to local musicians on Frenchman Street, have lunch at Galatore's on a Friday afternoon, have a Vu Carre on the Carousel bar at Hotel Monteleone, and shop along Royal Street at the dozens of antique shops and galleries.  Drink a Sazzerak at the Old Absynth House, eat a Muffuletta at the Central Grocery Store, try some raw Oysters at Acme, take a mule drawn cab ride, and have a CBB for breakfast at the Commerce.

During my many visits I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Canal, the Astor Crown Plaza on Canal, the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon, the Hilton Riverside, the Courtyard by Marriott on St Charles,  Le Pavillon on Poydras,  AC by Marriott on Carondelet, the Wyndham French Quarter on Royal, Marriott at the Convention Center, and several others that I do not remember.  All of these fine hotels were enjoyable but the most important feature is their proximity to the French Quarter, the street car lines, and the many great restaurants and shops.  I really don't care if my hotel is right beside the cruise terminal or a few miles away.  I plan to really splurging on Sunday morning by calling a Taxi or Uber for my trip to the port.  Last time it was $12 for 4 of us, including tip.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:27 PM, wantingpj said:

Sorry about the link before...

What’s the best guess on which Hotel this will be?

534B8E5A-43FC-4554-8EFF-91D1BDD438A6.png

Sorry I was on a cruise last week. It doesn't look like that specific hotel is available for your nights anymore. There is another 4-star french quarter-bourbon street with 85% recommendation that has 2500 trip advisor reviews for $157. The one you posted above has 587 trip advisor reviews. Anyway the one with 2500 trip advisor reveiws is the Wyndham French Quarter.

Edited by Saint Greg

For January 3rd -4th, one adult:

Do you know which hotel is the 3.5 Downtown Superdome area with a 90% recommendation on Hotwire? It's at $58 dollars right now for January 3rd.

Also the 3.5 star French Quarter-Mississippi River with 90% recommendation? It's sitting at $73

Edited by FreudianSlipper

13 minutes ago, FreudianSlipper said:

Do you know which hotel is the 3.5 Downtown Superdome area with a 90% recommendation on Hotwire? It's at $58 dollars right now for January 3rd.

Also the 3.5 star French Quarter-Mississippi River with 90% recommendation?

First one is Hyatt House. Second one is doubletree 

4 minutes ago, wantingpj said:

Saint Greg...thanks for the reply.  I followed along with your fun review...

To figure out what hotel they will give you are you just looking at the review numbers on each hotel page? Or something else?

It kind of depends. I used to have to use the amenities. But here lately on a lot of the hotels they’ve been giving you 3 possible hotels and it’s one of those three. They give you the star rating at trip advisor rating of those three. Usually at least one has the wrong hotel or trip advisor rating so you can eliminate it. Sometimes it totally gives it away. After that if it told the number of trip advisor reviews I’ll check trip advisor to make sure it’s right. The number isn’t exact. It may say 2500 in the rating but on trip advisor it’s up to 2503 or something.

Sometimes if it gives the tripadvisor rating number, it’s a simple as scrolling down to the regular price hotels and looking at their number of ratings. The hot rate hotels are usually listed down there.

8 hours ago, FreudianSlipper said:

Thanks! I was also looking at some 3* options in the Central Downtown area. One is 3.5 stars/$65/95% recommended; the second is 3*/$59/75% recommended; the third is 3*/$65/85% recommended. All for January 3rd.

Lafayette, The Blake, St. James

On 12/17/2018 at 1:05 AM, FreudianSlipper said:

Any idea which hotel is the 4* boutique hotel in the French Quarter-Mississippi River area? It's $86 for January 4-6. It is 85% recommended.

Also the 4* Downtown-Superdome hotel that is 90% recommended and sitting at $82 for those dates.

looks like Le Meridien

On 12/17/2018 at 1:05 AM, FreudianSlipper said:

Any idea which hotel is the 4* boutique hotel in the French Quarter-Mississippi River area? It's $86 for January 4-6. It is 85% recommended.

Also the 4* Downtown-Superdome hotel that is 90% recommended and sitting at $82 for those dates.

The superdome one is Hyatt Regency

We cruise out of NOLA in 2020, with plans to stay one night before cruise.  We get back the Sunday of Mardi Gras week and plan to stay in town until Wednesday.  Still a few months before I can actually seriously look at booking a hotel, but I'm guessing if I want a half decent price at a choice hotel that week, I'll probably need to book rather early..

We will be three adults with a vehicle.  are we better off looking at a hotel with cruise parking, or booking something on Hotwire and parking at the Fulton Garage?  We will be on the Glory for 14 days.