Hotels?

parttimr

Hi Saint Greg/Big Nance,

I'm from Australia and after our Alaska cruise in May 2020 we'll fly to Nola(4 nights) and I'm planning a road trip from NOLA to Houston (overnight),San Antonio(4 nights) Texas Hill country wine region(2 nights) and perhaps a night or 2 in Austin b4 flying home from Dallas.

Greg, What hotel would you recommend a block or so away from Bourbon St that is quieter. I read one review that stated one of the streets was the main route for fire truck, ambulances etc? Looked at Hilton Riverside but people complained about the trains at night.

Big Nance, I was hoping to be between Lafayette and Houston for lunch. Do you recommend any hidden gems along the way. like at Rayne,Crowley,Jennings or Lake Charles even? Would love a down home type crawfish place that would be open on a Monday(not asking much am I). Thanks.

1 hour ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Hi Saint Greg/Big Nance,

I'm from Australia and after our Alaska cruise in May 2020 we'll fly to Nola(4 nights) and I'm planning a road trip from NOLA to Houston (overnight),San Antonio(4 nights) Texas Hill country wine region(2 nights) and perhaps a night or 2 in Austin b4 flying home from Dallas.

Greg, What hotel would you recommend a block or so away from Bourbon St that is quieter. I read one review that stated one of the streets was the main route for fire truck, ambulances etc? Looked at Hilton Riverside but people complained about the trains at night.

Big Nance, I was hoping to be between Lafayette and Houston for lunch. Do you recommend any hidden gems along the way. like at Rayne,Crowley,Jennings or Lake Charles even? Would love a down home type crawfish place that would be open on a Monday(not asking much am I). Thanks.

I can check with my brothers. One lives in austin and goes back and forth to Laffy and the other goes between H and Laf for bi’ness. 😁

I, unfortunately, no longer live in the area and have to check with them. 

Also, the Texas Hill country wines aren’t really comparable to some of y’all’s good Australian wines. mollydooker. penfolds. John Duvall. Sigh. Love those. 

There are some tequila tasting places around Austin, if that is in your realm of tastes😋😋

12 hours ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Hi Saint Greg/Big Nance,

I would suggest Fezzo's in Scott(Just west of Lafayette) for a lunch stop on your way to Houston.  Don't wait until Lake Charles.  That's not Cajun Country.  Here's their website:  https://www.fezzos.com/scott

It's right off Interstate 10 at the Scott exit along the service road.

7 hours ago, beaucajun said:

Cairns, If you do stop at Fezzo's for lunch, take a 5 minute drive north of Scott for a taste of boudin and gratons.  This should be your destination for boudin & gratons.  https://www.beststopinscott.com/

Thanks Beau, That store looks great, I will definitely be stopping in there.

18 hours ago, BigNance said:

Also, the Texas Hill country wines aren’t really comparable to some of y’all’s good Australian wines. mollydooker. penfolds. John Duvall. Sigh. Love those. 

There are some tequila tasting places around Austin, if that is in your realm of tastes😋😋

Thanks Nance, Yes I've come back from a week in the Barossa & Clare Valley wine region in South Aust. Bought 112 bottles of wine, and will be paying them off until our Alaska cruise I think:classic_biggrin:.

Our last visit to USA was 2 years ago and after NY and DC we drove through wine areas in Virginia(Charlottesville) on the way to Nth & Sth Carolina.

Was initially going to do Napa after the cruise docked,but man that place is expensive. So we thought a weekend stay in the Texas Hill Country region would still give some wines and an exciting road trip to go with it.

8 minutes ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Thanks Nance, Yes I've come back from a week in the Barossa & Clare Valley wine region in South Aust. Bought 112 bottles of wine, and will be paying them off until our Alaska cruise I think:classic_biggrin:.

Our last visit to USA was 2 years ago and after NY and DC we drove through wine areas in Virginia(Charlottesville) on the way to Nth & Sth Carolina.

Was initially going to do Napa after the cruise docked,but man that place is expensive. So we thought a weekend stay in the Texas Hill Country region would still give some wines and an exciting road trip to go with it.

Enjoy your trip!! It should be fun and Austin is interesting...

If you ever do go to the Napa area, there is a Hotel (trying to stay on topic, we have really strayed) in Calistoga, Stevenson Manor, a Best Western, that is pretty reasonable (for Cali anyway).  It is also a great location to get to Sonoma, Napa, etc....  

Traveling is great!

Nance

2 minutes ago, BigNance said:

Enjoy your trip!! It should be fun and Austin is interesting...

If you ever do go to the Napa area, there is a Hotel (trying to stay on topic, we have really strayed) in Calistoga, Stevenson Manor, a Best Western, that is pretty reasonable (for Cali anyway).  It is also a great location to get to Sonoma, Napa, etc....  

Traveling is great!

Nance

Yeah I'm sure it will be fun, two holidays in one. Really looking forward to Alaska,then a new holiday touring NOLA and Texas.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Our cruise is Jan.12,2020 looking for hotel suggestions for hotels close to the cruise port. We will be flying in and will need transportation to hotel and port. So looking for suggestions on transportation also. We are thinking of flying in on the 9th of Jan.. I'm only seeing very high prices right now such as any where from $250. to $990. a night. When would be a good time to book hotel?   

Thanks in advance for any advice

23 hours ago, doxie2cruise said:

Our cruise is Jan.12,2020 looking for hotel suggestions for hotels close to the cruise port. We will be flying in and will need transportation to hotel and port. So looking for suggestions on transportation also. We are thinking of flying in on the 9th of Jan.. I'm only seeing very high prices right now such as any where from $250. to $990. a night. When would be a good time to book hotel?   

Thanks in advance for any advice

I can maybe look at it more the week after next. I’m cruising next week and my travels begin tomorrow. But I took a quick Hotwire look becaUse that’s  how I book. A few hotels for you to look at:

Garden District 3* $89 - Queen Anne

Garden District 3* $111 - Madison St Charles

Garden District 3* $122 - Prytania Park

downtown Superdome 4* $137 - Le Pavillion

warehouse district 4* $147 - ole no. 77

none of them provide transportation that I’m aware of...You’d have to uber/lyft.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:09 AM, Saint Greg said:

I can maybe look at it more the week after next. I’m cruising next week and my travels begin tomorrow. But I took a quick Hotwire look becaUse that’s  how I book. A few hotels for you to look at:

Garden District 3* $89 - Queen Anne

Garden District 3* $111 - Madison St Charles

Garden District 3* $122 - Prytania Park

downtown Superdome 4* $137 - Le Pavillion

warehouse district 4* $147 - ole no. 77

none of them provide transportation that I’m aware of...You’d have to uber/lyft.

Thank you for this help. Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

32 minutes ago, doxie2cruise said:

Thank you for this help. Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks! You’re welcome to come along if you want. And you definitely want to check out my 8/25 one...I’ll be staying on bourbon street precruise.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2635743-carnival-vista-live-feb-24-mar-3-gal-to-montego-gc-coz-fun-times-menus-etc/

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for hotel suggestions in Miami Florida. I think I am posting in the correct place so here goes:

Trying to decide between Hampton MIA Brickell Downtown (great reviews, close to everything, very busy neighborhood, $338 for 1 night as a Hilton Honors member--tax is a killer!) or Hampton Garden Inn Airport/Blue Lagoon (also great reviews, comp breakfast and airport shuttle, food in walking distance, appears to look like a nice neighborhood on Google Maps, $202 for 1 night). Which would you recommend? TIA

45 minutes ago, ransrider said:

I am looking for hotel suggestions in Miami Florida. I think I am posting in the correct place so here goes:

Trying to decide between Hampton MIA Brickell Downtown (great reviews, close to everything, very busy neighborhood, $338 for 1 night as a Hilton Honors member--tax is a killer!) or Hampton Garden Inn Airport/Blue Lagoon (also great reviews, comp breakfast and airport shuttle, food in walking distance, appears to look like a nice neighborhood on Google Maps, $202 for 1 night). Which would you recommend? TIA

You know this is the New Orleans board right? I can’t speak for anyone else here but I’ve never been to Miami.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

You know this is the New Orleans board right? I can’t speak for anyone else here but I’ve never been to Miami.

Thanks, I did not notice. My search was for Miami Hotels and this post came up.

• 1 month later...

Question for Saint Greg - do you have any information on French Market Inn? I was able to secure a room at a great price (by comparison to other FQ hotels) but would like your input as you are so well informed and forthcoming in NOLA hotel goings on. Appreciate the help. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, DeesEscape said:

Question for Saint Greg - do you have any information on French Market Inn? I was able to secure a room at a great price (by comparison to other FQ hotels) but would like your input as you are so well informed and forthcoming in NOLA hotel goings on. Appreciate the help. Thank you. 

I haven’t stayed at that one. But I wouldn’t hesitate if it were a good deal. The reviews are great. The location is outstanding. It’s actually right behind where I like to watch the ships come in. There’s like a parking lot between there and here.

• 1 month later...

Saint Greg - 

My BF and I are cruising out of NOLA on 8/22 as a joint birthday trip.

Twice in the past I have stayed at the Hilton Riverside, which is available through Hotwire for about $69.

Some of the recent reviews on Trip Advisor have been mediocre.  

Is this still a good hotel to use?  I do like the ease of walking out of the hotel straight to the port.

Edited by btregoning