Diamond spouse, first cruise other spouse, RCCL asleep at the switch

kevink

Really??? :eek:

Gee... Sorry... I don't feel bad for you or your son or his wife of nearly five years... Look how long it's taken others to get to Diamond status and you are all upset that she has to complete ONE cruise? Look at all the money we've spent on all these cruises to get to this level and the years!!!

It's their rules. If you're so "PO'd" and he's so "PO'd" and everyone is so 'PO'd", take another cruise line!!! She should be happy that on her SECOND cruise, she'll be Diamond. :rolleyes:

I bet you will still complain to whoever will listen to you once your on board too!!

Love it!!! Thank You!:D

Let's start up a matchmaking site to pair up single Diamonds with single lower level C&A members. We could make a killing.

I'll even be the first customer. I just need to divorce my wife first. Can you wait 5 minutes? I'm 22 points from diamond, but it's worth leaving my wife so I can get free booze every night on the cruise.

You know what? I need to wait until July. We'll be in a GS for a week for anniversary, which will put us at 72 points and gets us free booze every night. That puts at at 8 points away. At that point, it'd still be worth the divorce, because I'd still have to go on at least one more cruise without the free booze perk.

Let's start up a matchmaking site to pair up single Diamonds with single lower level C&A members. We could make a killing.

I'll even be the first customer. I just need to divorce my wife first. Can you wait 5 minutes? I'm 22 points from diamond, but it's worth leaving my wife so I can get free booze every night on the cruise.

You know what? I need to wait until July. We'll be in a GS for a week for anniversary, which will put us at 72 points and gets us free booze every night. That puts at at 8 points away. At that point, it'd still be worth the divorce, because I'd still have to go on at least one more cruise without the free booze perk.

Now that is funny. CC could make a new topic section for this "new spouse program". Trade In and Trade Up is what they could call it.

Edited by A&L_Ont

That's the crazy part of RCL's loyalty program. A person whose wife never sailed wants to obtain Diamond status for her before the sailing is angry at being denied vs. another who is at the Gold level and sailing with a Diamond member vs. all those other passengers who had to earn their Diamond status the hard way -- sailing day by day and not just by taking 3/4 day sailings. Then to say it all depends on the Loyalty Ambassador on board...WOW... just mind blowing! All this over some free drinks.

I am not doing this just for free drinks. To be honest with you my husband and I plan to do the unlimited drink package. I was asking because I do not want to be denied access to the diamond lounge. My husband is very excited to finally be a diamond member and is looking forward to having a drink in the diamond lounge. I think he would be very disappointed if his wife can't join him. If I can get in anyway then I don't need to be upgraded. I understand that I have only cruised on a few RCL boats so I by no means deserve all the upgrades but I just want to be able to sit with my husband while he enjoys his perks

While not trying to feed into the OP's entitlement issue, here is my experience.

I am diamond. In February of 2013 I sailed with my BF, who had sailed with me once previously in 2011 and was thus a gold member. We were living together so had the same mailing address. On day one, we visited the loyalty ambassador (I guess it's now called future cruise planner) to book a future cruise. Upon learning that we lived in the same household, the loyalty ambassador went into his computer, upgraded my BF's status to diamond and put a diamond sticker on his seapass card. The rest of the cruise, he was diamond. We were not married, not even engaged, had different last names and did not represent that we were married.

We took that future cruise the following July, along with three of my BF's children, one being a minor, all who had never sailed before, and one of my adult children who is diamond. Following that sailing, I applied for C&A numbers for those three children of my BF. The minor was granted diamond status. The two adult children were given gold status.

So while RCCL and C&A have rules, sometimes the rules vary from ship to ship and from loyalty ambassador to loyalty ambassador.

My wife and I are Diamond status and enjoy the perks. In May I've arranged a family cruise including my son who is diamond status and his wife of nearly five years who will be taking her first cruise. No problem says I, here's your diamond number and the phone number of the Loyalty desk, call them and they should be able to assign your spouse a diamond number.

He tells me that he called the Loyalty desk, and was told that his wife would only qualify for Diamond status *after* her first cruise. He's PO'd, I'm PO'd, everybody's PO'd. It makes absolutely no sense.

If I am Royal Caribbean and I have a customer who has cruised with me many times, shouldn't I want to turn their spouse into a loyal customer to get more business from future cruises? Would I not consider that telling someone's spouse that they can have a complimentary robe but their spouse is out of luck is not the best way to secure future business? Would I not consider that blocking someone's spouse from the Diamond lounge is also a likely way to lose future business?

This makes no fricking sense to me. Was the person manning the Loyalty line on drugs, or is this really RCCL's incredibly stupid policy designed to boost their competitors' bottom lines?

-- Kevin

I dont know about you, but I always cruise just to get the complimentary robe. If they were to jip me out of that I would definately begi looking at cruising Carnival.

While I can see why you mght be upset that your DIL is not able to get the same perks, I think you have to look at it more from the angle that she isnt part of their loyalty progra until she has cruised with them. It is more then generous of them to allow her to go to his status right away. I also think that it is generous that they let your children have your status once they are 18.

I would have to say that you wold be in the minority if you actually think that they are just looking at another way of taking something away from the elite members on this one.

Really??? :eek:

Gee... Sorry... I don't feel bad for you or your son or his wife of nearly five years... Look how long it's taken others to get to Diamond status and you are all upset that she has to complete ONE cruise? Look at all the money we've spent on all these cruises to get to this level and the years!!!

It's their rules. If you're so "PO'd" and he's so "PO'd" and everyone is so 'PO'd", take another cruise line!!! She should be happy that on her SECOND cruise, she'll be Diamond. :rolleyes:

I bet you will still complain to whoever will listen to you once your on board too!!

Like P&O...:)

You may not like it but that's the way it is. Their ship, their rules.

If you want a way around it....

- Have your DIL call MLife and register for their rewards program.

- Royal will then grant you a C&A number without having sailed as they have a

partnership with the rewards programs.

- have your son' and DIL's accounts linked and presto she is Diamond.

Happy sailing.

https://www.mlife.com

Interesting... How does one get the two to associate?

My wife and I are Diamond status and enjoy the perks. In May I've arranged a family cruise including my son who is diamond status and his wife of nearly five years who will be taking her first cruise. No problem says I, here's your diamond number and the phone number of the Loyalty desk, call them and they should be able to assign your spouse a diamond number.

He tells me that he called the Loyalty desk, and was told that his wife would only qualify for Diamond status *after* her first cruise. He's PO'd, I'm PO'd, everybody's PO'd. It makes absolutely no sense.

If I am Royal Caribbean and I have a customer who has cruised with me many times, shouldn't I want to turn their spouse into a loyal customer to get more business from future cruises? Would I not consider that telling someone's spouse that they can have a complimentary robe but their spouse is out of luck is not the best way to secure future business? Would I not consider that blocking someone's spouse from the Diamond lounge is also a likely way to lose future business?

This makes no fricking sense to me. Was the person manning the Loyalty line on drugs, or is this really RCCL's incredibly stupid policy designed to boost their competitors' bottom lines?

-- Kevin

It has been that way forever...

The following is an account of my personal observation on board the Vision of the Seas in August.

An older man and women show up at the Diamond Lounge. The officer at the door looks at their cards and sees the husband is D but the "wife" is not. She would not admit the "wife" into the room because they had different last names. The man was not happy !! The woman said they had their reasons for her not taking his last name. The officer asked him if they have some proof that they are "married". You know he didn't. She asked him if there was some way someone can fax proof to him. Naturally, he said no. Not a pretty picture.

The officer explained that they can use the vouchers on his card for the other bars during the Happy Hour period.

Bottom line, she was not allowed into the room and they stormed off.

Lesson: If you are truly married and want to keep your old name, make sure you have some proof that you are truly married.

As a previous poster said, each ship handles it differently and some are more lenient than others. Err on the side of caution if you want entry.

• 2 months later...
You may not like it but that's the way it is. Their ship, their rules.

If you want a way around it....

- Have your DIL call MLife and register for their rewards program.

- Royal will then grant you a C&A number without having sailed as they have a

partnership with the rewards programs.

- have your son' and DIL's accounts linked and presto she is Diamond.

Happy sailing.

https://www.mlife.com

I have an MLife membership card already, but how do I get a C&A number from that? I would just like to be able to change the preferences on my online RCI account which I can't do until I have a C&A number. If you could point me in the right direction I would be so grateful

Many thanks

Gail

I have an MLife membership card already, but how do I get a C&A number from that? I would just like to be able to change the preferences on my online RCI account which I can't do until I have a C&A number. If you could point me in the right direction I would be so grateful

Many thanks

Gail

Call C&A at 800 526 9723. They will be able to give you a membership once you provide them with your MLife number.

Royal Caribbean's policy is that anyone residing in the same household will be granted the highest tier status.

My DH did "inherit" my platinum status when we moved in together. He has since sailed several times with me. He has his own points, but moves status when I do. He did not get any status until he sailed his first cruise with me. Then he became a C&A member and jumped up. This shouldn't have anything to do with the Loyalty Ambassador onboard. Just call C&A AFTER the person has completed one sailing.

For what it's worth, I think it is a generous policy, but also makes a lot of sense so people don't get ticked off when one spouse has access to areas like DL and the other does not. They just need to go about it according to the policy. Technically, if we divorced and lived separately, he should lose my status and revert to his status according to his sailings. I believe that's the same for kids when they turn 18 or move out of the house. I have read stories that it happens for some, but not all.

I'm not sure about Princess as my DH and I have sailed together on those cruises and naturally have the same status.

On NCL, they will not match status for same household, so I have a higher status than he does until he cruises more (but then I should move up too).

What i don't like is that I called to unlink my late husband from my account and delete his C&A number years ago after he passed away. Recently, I have started receiving emails addressed to him with the platinum status we had at the time (so he hasn't been "earning" my sailings--although he passed away so really doesn't matter). But the concerning part is for my upcoming cruise in August, I had a few excursions in my shopping cart that I have not purchased. They are sending emails to him on our "old" email address that I don't use any longer reminding him he has excursions ready to purchase. I'm no longer getting any emails to the address I've used for at least 6 years, and the one registered for my cruise--except for my invoices. I'm cringing thinking they will start sending snail mail with both of our names on it vs. my new husband's name and mine.

I was a Diamond plus when my DH decided to take his first cruise with RCI. If I recall I went into my account and it said something like register someone in your household to your C&A. I did this, he was assigned a C&A number (different than mine). I did our online checkin, his sea pass printed out as D+ and we each had different credit cards on file. This is back when we received the coupon booklets, he received his own. So he literally walked on his first cruise as a D+. I'd say this was probably late 2012 or early 2013.

So I'm not sure why they are telling you the spouse has to cruise one time first. I did hear that from others on this board as well. My experience was that wasn't true. First try and do it online. Sorry I can't give you the play by play. If it doesn't work, call Crown and Anchor (not reservations).

For those upset spouses get it, you don't even need to be married, just the same address "significant others" are eligible too.

I think the fact they they'll grant her the diamond status after her very first cruise is impressive enough! That's pretty generous for a cruiser who hasn't spent a dime on their cruise line. But hey, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems unfair to those who are paying for cruises and must have a certain number of points to reach a level if status is given to someone - spouse, partner, adult child etc because they are cruising with someone of a certain level. With the drinks loaded to the card you can spend time in a lounge together and enjoy that perk. As for the other perks there is really nothing that would make that much difference.

Honestly...everyone's complaining about overcrowded Suite Lounges and Diamond & Diamond+ members being forced to 'slum' it in separate lounges on certain ships with reduced C&A Perks.

I bet the lounges wouldn't be so crowded if people weren't grand-fathered into all the perks. All the spouses, children, and 20-month old grandkids (yes, I saw a post where someone got their less than 2yrold grandchild a Diamond+ membership) who got their status off someone else should be grateful.

Edited by cruisevv

I have an issue with children accumulating C&A points. There are literally toddlers out there that are in excess of diamond level. Only such time they can pay for themselves or say an arbitrary age like 18 is when they should be able to climb that crazy ladder.

I have an issue with children accumulating C&A points. There are literally toddlers out there that are in excess of diamond level. Only such time they can pay for themselves or say an arbitrary age like 18 is when they should be able to climb that crazy ladder.

I feel the they should be allowed to. Our 8 year old is D+. If you count his actual points from sailings he has been on he has 98, making him a Diamond CA member on his own accord. He only gets the kids perks, not D+ perks at the start of every cruise. He doesn't go into the lounges as we don't go to them. That opens three spots in the Diamond lounge as well as the CL, as we are suite cruisers.

However, if your desire came true what bonus goes to the folks or people (grandparents) that pay the child's cruise fare? Perhaps, an extra point per day since the child isn't sailing for free? I could totally understand if kids sail for free that they would get no points. However when you are paying a cruise fair, points should be awarded.

Solo cruisers now get double points as they pay double the fare, so why wouldn't kids get points for third person fare. Grown adults get full points for third and fourth person discounted cabin fares, the same rate parents pay for their kids.

I saw a post where someone got their less than 2yrold grandchild a Diamond+ membership

Unless that child was under the legal guardianship of the grandparents, I highly doubt that RC would give them that status. Let's face it, there are many grandparents out there that have guardianship of their grandchildren making them their legal parental figure.

It is a very real possibility that it could happen.

Edited by A&L_Ont

That's the crazy part of RCL's loyalty program. A person whose wife never sailed wants to obtain Diamond status for her before the sailing is angry at being denied vs. another who is at the Gold level and sailing with a Diamond member vs. all those other passengers who had to earn their Diamond status the hard way -- sailing day by day and not just by taking 3/4 day sailings. Then to say it all depends on the Loyalty Ambassador on board...WOW... just mind blowing! All this over some free drinks.

Very interesting!:confused::rolleyes:

MARAPRINCE

Add kids of cruising parents, and the conversation becomes even more convoluted.

Kids sailing with their parent who never spent a dime,(their parents did) get all the benes. of their parents!:)

It obviously makes no "fricking sense" to you, but it does to those who have cruised many times to make Diamond status and see no reason that it should be extended to someone who has never cruised on RCCL.....:rolleyes: You need to re-think your bitter comments, do you really think RCCL is "designing" their policy to "boost their competitors bottom lines"?????? Seriously? Haha yes I'm sure that's their corporate strategy........

BTW, our daughter is Diamond on her own after cruising many years with us. It would NEVER OCCUR TO ME that her husband someday who'd never been on RCCL should be Diamond........... Good grief.......... Typical entitlement attitude these days.

I'd go the extra step and say your daughter doesn't deserve the increased level either because you paid, the kids just went along.

But then that benefits you, so you think differently, like the OP thinks differently about his situation.

Sometimes the rules work for you,(like your daughter) and sometimes they don't, (like the OP's friends)! Gotta roll with the punches!

Loyalty level matching aside, when the costs are per-person, the accumulation of points should also be per person, regardless of age.

Airline loyalty programs are the same way. Name on the ticket gets the points, regardless of who pays.

On the other hand, hotel pricing doesn't work the same way. You pay for one room and can stuff as few or as many people in it as you like for the same price. So only one person gets the points.

Why should it have anything to do with who pays for it? Should my wife not get points because we used my credit card to pay for the cruise? Or what about this case, where my parents booked our entire family on a cruise last December (11 adults, 7 kids). They booked us in a POV, but I paid the difference to upgrade to a JS.

I'm not really sure what advantage that kids get from tier matching until they become adults, so I'm not sure it makes as much sense with kids.

I'd go the extra step and say your daughter doesn't deserve the increased level either because you paid, the kids just went along.

But then that benefits you, so you think differently, like the OP thinks differently about his situation.

Sometimes the rules work for you,(like your daughter) and sometimes they don't, (like the OP's friends)! Gotta roll with the punches!

So you are saying that anyone sailing as a 3'rd or 4'th guest in a cabin should not get the points as they did not pay regardless of age. Why should who pays be a factor in determining who gets points and who does not.

Our kids (now teens) always cruise with us and are in their own cabin. Why should they not get the points. I am paying full fare for them.