Held hostage in Livorno port!!

Level six

We had the same experience with NCL. While it is true that the port authority sets the rules about pedestrians in the port, it is the cruise line that decides how to deal with it. Higher priced luxury lines include the cost of the shuttle, more price sensitive lines charge extra.

My issue with NCL is the way they present the situation, as if there is no choice. Once I was off the ship and saw all of the taxis lined up next to the ship I tried to sell them back their shuttle tickets but they wouldn't take them.

To add insult to injury, upon returning to Livorno at the end of the day there were not enough buses for all of the passengers trying to return to the ship and NO ONE there to organize the crowd, which quickly became a mob. Even though we had already paid for the shuttle tickets we paid an additional €20 Euro for a taxi back to the ship because we were actually concerned about our safety given the behavior of the other cruise passengers fighting to get on the shuttle buses when they arrived.

Right. Though if 8 folk share (as we did) that's less than 4 euros a-piece. Compared to the shuttle, which doesn't even go to the station, at around 10 euros a-piece.

But what is new, & the point that Level Six is making, is that now taxis are not permitted in the port - only ship's tour buses or pre-booked licensed tours or the payable city centre shuttle.

Since walking out of the port understandably isn't permitted for most berths, and there's not even a free shuttle to the port gate, it means you have to pay someone to get you out of the port.

And that is wrong for a cruise which on its itinerary quotes Livorno (or Florence or Pisa, but that's a different rant :D).

JB :)

Thanks, that is what I was trying to say

We had the same experience with NCL. While it is true that the port authority sets the rules about pedestrians in the port, it is the cruise line that decides how to deal with it. Higher priced luxury lines include the cost of the shuttle, more price sensitive lines charge extra.

My issue with NCL is the way they present the situation, as if there is no choice. Once I was off the ship and saw all of the taxis lined up next to the ship I tried to sell them back their shuttle tickets but they wouldn't take them.

To add insult to injury, upon returning to Livorno at the end of the day there were not enough buses for all of the passengers trying to return to the ship and NO ONE there to organize the crowd, which quickly became a mob. Even though we had already paid for the shuttle tickets we paid an additional €20 Euro for a taxi back to the ship because we were actually concerned about our safety given the behavior of the other cruise passengers fighting to get on the shuttle buses when they arrived.

I think we were on the same cruise and when we got off the ship, there were NO taxis and Jovo(the hotel manager seeming to handle the process) said that they were not allowed in. What time did you get off? We were first off. Maybe after I made such a scene( I really, really made a scene, sadly, because I am usually not like that) they let some taxis in, but there were zero when we left the ship.

At that point I would have taken a higher priced taxi just to make a point that NCL, or any cruise line CANNOT put this port on their itinerary if you are not allowed to leave the port without paying them to do so.

Also, sorry about the trip back. I came back early in the day because I knew that was going to happen. Even when we got back, there were only a few people (10) waiting. There were two buses there, we tried to board one, he said no. We walked to another, he said no. We all just stood there, like, what? Finally, after about 1/2 hour, one of the drivers opened his door and waved us in. No one to speak english, or help in any way. I mean, add up $12 for at least 1000 people, could they not have provided someone there to help people get back on? Even in Barcelona they had someone there. For all we knew we were not even getting on the right bus as there was no sign on the bus or anything( I actually did recognize the driver from the morning bus). But, I feel for you trying to get back to the ship with everyone pushing and trying to get on the bus. At least you made the ship, I think some people missed it that day.

Edited by Level six

There are additional security measures that taxis and car services must go through in order to work in the ports (just as they do in the States) but those who complete the paperwork can drive to the ship. The cruise line has no control over that, they can't prevent them from being there.

My NCL experience was several years ago but obviously they are still playing the same games (this, among other things that happened on that cruise, is why that cruise will likely be my only experience with NCL). We were off the ship quite quickly as I was eager to get to the train station.

Not sure about the rest of you posting here, but I for one DON'T have a problem paying $$ versus having taxi drivers (or anyone else) that is not screened in some way to be allowed into an area that needs to be a secure area.

Think about it…..most ports do not let taxis into the secure area of a port. They must wait outside that area - unfortunately Livorno is a HUGE industrial port making that area quite a distance from the pier. Many other ports just aren't that big…… Istanbul is probably the easiest place to walk to a taxi, Athens is a bit further etc etc…….

As for rules changing…… security is security. Period. I don't know of any place where they have changed the rules so that they are no longer trying to be sure that their port area is secure. Especially in this day and all the craziness in the world. Most have stepped up security and the rules that go with it.

and lastly - tsk tsk Hank. I would not have taken you for a "rule breaker" :confused:

Not sure about the rest of you posting here, but I for one DON'T have a problem paying $$ versus having taxi drivers (or anyone else) that is not screened in some way to be allowed into an area that needs to be a secure area.

Think about it…..most ports do not let taxis into the secure area of a port. They must wait outside that area - unfortunately Livorno is a HUGE industrial port making that area quite a distance from the pier. Many other ports just aren't that big…… Istanbul is probably the easiest place to walk to a taxi, Athens is a bit further etc etc…….

As for rules changing…… security is security. Period. I don't know of any place where they have changed the rules so that they are no longer trying to be sure that their port area is secure. Especially in this day and all the craziness in the world. Most have stepped up security and the rules that go with it.

and lastly - tsk tsk Hank. I would not have taken you for a "rule breaker" :confused:

I agree, security should be the first thing on all our minds these days.........but, my point is, the shuttle should be included in the cruise fee, not sprung on you when you get off the ship.

It is like the previous poster said, what if you had to pay to tender? It's okay, if it is stated when you book your cruise that you will not be allowed off the ship (tender or shuttle) unless you pay, but, not when you are there, camera in hand, ready to see the world and THEN told, "oh, can't leave the port unless you pay us more $" Poor business practices.

Right. Though if 8 folk share (as we did) that's less than 4 euros a-piece. Compared to the shuttle, which doesn't even go to the station, at around 10 euros a-piece.

But what is new, & the point that Level Six is making, is that now taxis are not permitted in the port - only ship's tour buses or pre-booked licensed tours or the payable city centre shuttle.

Since walking out of the port understandably isn't permitted for most berths, and there's not even a free shuttle to the port gate, it means you have to pay someone to get you out of the port.

And that is wrong for a cruise which on its itinerary quotes Livorno (or Florence or Pisa, but that's a different rant :D).

The only reference I can find to that is that unlicensed taxis are not permitted (and they shouldn't be in my mind), What bothered me was that the licensed taxis wanted large minimums, whereas I suspect like most places that would be against the taxi licensing....

At the time, we didn't manage to find another group of people heading to Livorno Centrale, or we would have joined that group. Instead we took the ship coach (€10/ret) to downtown and a bus from there (€1)

Tempting to just stay on the ship and not spend my tourist $$ in their port city!:cool:

DITTO, but it's not only Livorno.

This is exactly what I did in Boston on my New England/Canada cruise. We can only talk with our money. If people continue to pay, the ports will continue to charge.

And in Venice on the Grand Princess, I filled out the paperwork that I didn't need transportation (I planned on using a taxi) so had no car company name to put on the paperwork. The Purser's desk actually called our cabin, stating there would be no taxi's my choices were to walk or pay Princess $24 pp for the transfer to Piazzale Roma. It appears taxi's are only available when a "ship's homeport is Venice". I think the ride on the bus was 5 minutes. Want to talk gouging???

Edited by agabbymama

The only reference I can find to that is that unlicensed taxis are not permitted (and they shouldn't be in my mind)

But Scottbee, the reference was to unlicensed guides, not unlicenced taxis.

Let's face it, an unlicenced taxi simply ain't a taxi.

Texan - I'm repeating myself here but my experience worldwide is that where no taxis etc are allowed into a port it is permitted to walk to the port gate, or transportation from ship to port gate has been provided without charge. This for ships of all sizes & budgets.

And, not defending rip-off taxi drivers, but some rip-off taxi rates at the quayside are due to rip-off commissions that those taxis have to pay for the right to pick up in a dock. In some countries that even applies to pre-booked private tours & transfers.

But Scottbee, the reference was to unlicensed guides, not unlicenced taxis.

Let's face it, an unlicenced taxi simply ain't a taxi.

Texan - I'm repeating myself here but my experience worldwide is that where no taxis etc are allowed into a port it is permitted to walk to the port gate, or transportation from ship to port gate has been provided without charge. This for ships of all sizes & budgets.

And, not defending rip-off taxi drivers, but some rip-off taxi rates at the quayside are due to rip-off commissions that those taxis have to pay for the right to pick up in a dock. In some countries that even applies to pre-booked private tours & transfers.

Applies to airports too; but you know that as well as anyone. My big complaint is that licensed (and supposedly regulated) taxis are ripping you off, because you have no other [reasonable] choice.

and we have indeed walked many times to the secured port exit…….. but Livorno is a very different animal - it is huge and VERY industrial. Where we were docked it was easily a mile or more to the port exit. This was through containers stacked up, large pipe stacked up, large barrels of "who knows what" in huge groups. Not exacty a scenic or "safe" environment to walk in.

While I concede that it would be so much smarter for the cruise line to "work the fee into" the cruise price - it is still their decision not to for whatever reasons. To say you would spend a pocketful of money for airplane tickets, another pocket full of money for a cruise and expenses and then say "I'm not going to get off the ship and that will show them " over $12.00 is in my mind biting off your nose to spite your face. It is what it is.

Just my two cents worth -

While I concede that it would be so much smarter for the cruise line to "work the fee into" the cruise price - it is still their decision not to for whatever reasons.

So they advertise a cruise that goes to X, but won't let you visit X without paying a fee. False advertising.

What next. Airlines telling you there is fee for using the air-bridge or shuttle bus. After all airports are dangerous places with lots of security, so you can't just walk to the terminal.

So they advertise a cruise that goes to X, but won't let you visit X without paying a fee. False advertising.

What next. Airlines telling you there is fee for using the air-bridge or shuttle bus. After all airports are dangerous places with lots of security, so you can't just walk to the terminal.

Agree exactly!! I did take the shuttle, I had come to see Europe!! But, I was not happy about it. It was false advertising, if they don't let you get out of port unless you pay more, then in my opinion, it should not be listed as a port!!

It was just the fact that it not mentioned anywhere before the fact. Even if in the travel documents it said we had to pay, I would be okay with that.

Anyway, I am just trying to let people know so they won't be in for a big surprise upon exit of the ship.

I am wondering if any other cruise line besides NCL has this issue? I've never heard Of it on Celebrity, for instance. . .

We were on a Celebrity ship in Livorno two years ago and certainly had to pay for a shuttle. However, I think it was a port authority shuttle as we purchased the tickets from a hut on the dockside. Can't remember the cost but it seemed reasonable at the time.

We were on a Celebrity ship in Livorno two years ago and certainly had to pay for a shuttle. However, I think it was a port authority shuttle as we purchased the tickets from a hut on the dockside. Can't remember the cost but it seemed reasonable at the time.

Were there taxis available on the dock when you were there? That's what we did on Celebrity, got right into a taxi and went to the train station. But these reports are that there were no taxis at the NCL ship. . .

Were there taxis available on the dock when you were there? That's what we did on Celebrity, got right into a taxi and went to the train station. But these reports are that there were no taxis at the NCL ship. . .

We were on Royal Caribbean when we visited Livorno. There were NO taxis allowed to the dock where we were…… there were ship tour buses and some private tour cars/vans but no taxis you could just walk off and hire. Our dock berth was a good mile or more from the exit point of the secure area of the port.

We had booked a ship tour due to the logistics of doing Pisa and Florence on our first Med cruise ever……. we now book mostly private tours or DIY (our 5th Med cruise coming up in 7 weeks !!!!

We rented a car from sifracar (affiliated with Hertz, I believe) the car was reasonably priced and waiting for us right at the pier.

We drove along the coast, eventually going to Cararra, one of our most memorable days.

We rented a car from sifracar (affiliated with Hertz, I believe) the car was reasonably priced and waiting for us right at the pier.

We drove along the coast, eventually going to Cararra, one of our most memorable days.

On NCL?

Exactly, it would be like having to pay to take the tender in.

I hope Mike does hear from NCL. I talked to everyone at the port about it and voiced my unhappiness about the matter to the head of Hotel services, Jovo, his assistant, the cruise director, the person organizing the NCL shuttle. So, there were no wires crossed.

Still waiting for an official response from NCL. So far, nothing....will let you know when I do.

Mike

Still waiting for an official response from NCL. So far, nothing....will let you know when I do.

Mike

While we agree with your sentiments (we have often criticized the port situation) we are not sure what you expect from NCL. The bottom line is that Livorno is one of the most popular ports for ships in this region of the Med, not for the Port, but for its location. NCL (and the other cruise lines) simply pay fees to use the port but have nothing to say about its operation. The situation with this particular port has existed for as long as we can recall (which is over thirty years).

We do wish you luck, but you would probably have better luck writing a letter to Sergio Mattarella who is the current President of Italy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You know there is another factor at play here too……

Many times a ship will not know where it is to be docked until right before they arrive. In a port of this size (it is HUGE) that may play into whether you are close in (allowing walking) or further out (no walking) or possibly affecting other factors (taxis-no taxis) etc…… It seems from various posts here that it could play out various different ways.

I know we have been on cruises where we were supposed to tender then docked and vice versa……..

Also, to "add in" the cost of the shuttle might be great for those people who are going to use the shuttle - but I don't think the people who are NOT going to use the shuttle would be particularly happy - thus making them as mad as you are.

I agree that perhaps they could do better at letting people know beforehand of the situation and therein might lie the answer. It won't make the cost go away but at least everyone would be aware and could "deal" with it better.

I still say its ridiculous to not get off the ship after going all that way to see Europe over $12.00 shuttle cost. It is what it is :cool:

I have never seen so much (3 pages so far) written about so little (12 euro)..it is a large port,it is in Italy,they use their ports for so much compared to here,they have rule they have make changes accordingly every day..as Texancruzer said"it is what it is"..in the scheme of things a fee of 12 euro to get out of the busy port is nothing. Don't like the portsd...do a land trip.

You know there is another factor at play here too……

Many times a ship will not know where it is to be docked until right before they arrive. In a port of this size (it is HUGE) that may play into whether you are close in (allowing walking) or further out (no walking) or possibly affecting other factors (taxis-no taxis) etc…… It seems from various posts here that it could play out various different ways.

I know we have been on cruises where we were supposed to tender then docked and vice versa……..

Also, to "add in" the cost of the shuttle might be great for those people who are going to use the shuttle - but I don't think the people who are NOT going to use the shuttle would be particularly happy - thus making them as mad as you are.

I agree that perhaps they could do better at letting people know beforehand of the situation and therein might lie the answer. It won't make the cost go away but at least everyone would be aware and could "deal" with it better.

I still say its ridiculous to not get off the ship after going all that way to see Europe over $12.00 shuttle cost. It is what it is :cool:

True, I never thought about people who have arranged to go on tours. But as you said.........it is only $12. haha

To make it clear......I did get off the ship, I did take the shuttle. I just did not like finding out as I left the ship that this was the ONLY way out of the port. They need to let people know before hand. Maybe I would have booked an "overly expensive ship excursion" if I had known that it was a better deal.

I still like the comparison someone made about the tender. How would you like to arrive in Grand Caymen, have snorkeling gear in hand, reach the tender and .......oops we forgot to tell you......$12 to get off the ship and use the tender. It is not fair to even include it as a port if you can only see it from the ship....just saying.

Everyone has their own opinion and I respect yours. It is just that I did not like the way NCL handled this whole situation. Maybe you had better experiences on other cruise lines (as have I). But NCL just seemed like pretty soon they will be promoting the ultimate toilet paper package, where you get toilet paper, unlimited, no extra fee!! Oh no, I just gave them their next promotion idea.............safe travels!:)

I have never seen so much (3 pages so far) written about so little (12 euro)..it is a large port,it is in Italy,they use their ports for so much compared to here,they have rule they have make changes accordingly every day..as Texancruzer said"it is what it is"..in the scheme of things a fee of 12 euro to get out of the busy port is nothing. Don't like the portsd...do a land trip.

I thought CC was to help inform travelers. That is what I get from it when I come on CC to see about ports. That is what I was doing, letting people know. I appreciate when people post things like this, so that I knew when I went to Istanbul that the tram token machine only takes small turkish lira and things like that. It helps people prepare for their future cruise. That was my only goal and I wanted to help people the way I was helped before my cruise.

But it is things like your last comment that make me hate CC. "do a land trip" really? I could have gone all day without reading that. I don't know why people think they can always say rude things online that they would never say in person. What about this thread is so offensive to you?

I guess I will just hang up the CC thing as I am not one to make snarky remarks toward people I don't even know. I was just trying to help future cruisers who may use that port know what the deal is.