New to HAL but not to other Carnival lines

marylizcat

I understand that HAL is supposed to recognize you if you have sailed with a line such as Princess, so that you are a one star Mariner?? If so, how can I tell whether this has happened automatically? Does the fact that my booking shows a Mariner number indicate this? Or is it something I have to contact them to arrange?

You become a Holland America Mariner once you sail on a HAL ship. This happens automatically. Your cruises on other brands do not count toward your Mariner benefits.

Edited by jhannah

The fact that you have a Mariner number means that you have been recognized. After my second cruise on Carnival, I started receiving mail from HAL, with a Mariner number. After her first cruise on Carnival, we booked a cruise on HAL and my sister had a Mariner number. EM

For us, it just happened automatically IIRC. In "My Account", it says "Welcome CantanaLobo" with the little 1-star Mariner logo between "Welcome" and "CantanaLobo". When we booked, my number showed up in the reservation automatically, but I had to have it look up my DWs number.

You become a Holland America Mariner once you sail on a HAL ship. This happens automatically. Your cruises on other brands do not count toward your Mariner benefits.

Sorry, you have misunderstood me. I know my previous cruises do not give me any points with HAL. However, I believe they do qualify you for things like the embarkation day lunch.

they do qualify you for the Mariner embarkation lunch. You should have the 1* on your key card and assuming there are no hiccups, you will be able to go to the lunch.

they do qualify you for the Mariner embarkation lunch. You should have the 1* on your key card and assuming there are no hiccups, you will be able to go to the lunch.

"Hiccups" might include a LOT of high * Mariners, so the lower * Mariners are not invited, or there may be a special lunch being held (for travel agents or similar, or a charity event).

That is how you know your status has been recognized by Hal for your previous cruises on other Carnival lines and as kazu says 'assuming there are no hiccups', your key card will have one star printed on it.