Beach Glass

JDeanFan

You can either click on the little button on the upper right hand side of the screen titled "search this forum" and type in Beach Glass, for a list of all the threads containing references to beach glass, OR

you can click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=164031&highlight=beach+glass

to read a great thread detailing directions to beach glass, etc.

Good luck, and have a BLAST!

There is another (larger) beach, with tons of seaglass...out, quite close to the Royal Naval Dockyard (complete opposite end of Bermuda from Alexandra Battery beach), very near to the Royal Naval Cemetary. I cannot tell you the exact directions, but I will ask a friend, who's in Bermuda at the moment. Or you could ask a local in that area.

Great jewelry ideas in those photos...terrific momentos! Others, who collect a lot of it, have taken a plain wood-framed mirror, and glued the seaglass to the frame...very nice! Seaglass can be bought, even on cruise ships, but it's so much more special if you collect your own.

Have fun! Most of all...enjoy Bermuda!:)

Searched and found this, described by my friend:

If you are heading toward the Dockyard, you pass the Royal Naval Cemetery (which you should stop and look in), and a little further up on the left is the small road the busses take to go to the Dockyard....the name escapes me. Make the left and you will see the convict cemetery off to your slight left......I parked in there. If you walk down the bank, then another, you will come upon a beach that is peppered wioth sea glass.......with more constantly being washed ashore with each new wave. The back of the small beach is "littered" with about 4 inches of glass! All kinds.....including some pottery and china pieces. All shapes, sizes and colors!!! The blue seaglass is hard to find....so look hard!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From St. George, we walked 1 mile (30 minutes) to Alexandra Battery Beach Park. The Battery isn’t much to see, but the real prize here is sea glass! You’ll find it by the handful at low tide amongst the reef rocks at the end of the cement seawall (located between the battery and the beach). There is some scattered on the beach too, but the treasure lies beyond. Especially look for the cave, about 15 feet beyond the seawall, where the sea glass is 5-inches deep and sparkles in the late afternoon sun. Pottery with blue or green stripes, impressions, blue anchors, and inscriptions can be found amongst the white, green, blue, brown, red, clear, and ivory hued glass. We filled 2 quart-sized bags in about 30 minutes. You can do it in 5 minutes, but it was fun to be particular.

Tips for Bermuda Visitors and Cruisers

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

There is another (larger) beach, with tons of seaglass...out, quite close to the Royal Naval Dockyard (complete opposite end of Bermuda from Alexandra Battery beach), very near to the Royal Naval Cemetary. I cannot tell you the exact directions, but I will ask a friend, who's in Bermuda at the moment. Or you could ask a local in that area.

Great jewelry ideas in those photos...terrific momentos! Others, who collect a lot of it, have taken a plain wood-framed mirror, and glued the seaglass to the frame...very nice! Seaglass can be bought, even on cruise ships, but it's so much more special if you collect your own.

Have fun! Most of all...enjoy Bermuda!:)

Searched and found this, described by my friend:

If you are heading toward the Dockyard, you pass the Royal Naval Cemetery (which you should stop and look in), and a little further up on the left is the small road the busses take to go to the Dockyard....the name escapes me. Make the left and you will see the convict cemetery off to your slight left......I parked in there. If you walk down the bank, then another, you will come upon a beach that is peppered wioth sea glass.......with more constantly being washed ashore with each new wave. The back of the small beach is "littered" with about 4 inches of glass! All kinds.....including some pottery and china pieces. All shapes, sizes and colors!!! The blue seaglass is hard to find....so look hard!

We just came back from Bermuda Sunday on the Majesty. We visited what the locals call glass bottle beach and I can give you easier directions. Ask to be droped at the Royal Naval Cemetary. If you are coming from the dockyard it will be on your left next to the touched by God ministries church. Across the street is Alberts Row, 4 apartment buildings colored various shades of tourquois. At the end of each building is a sign saying Alberts Row number 1-4, or 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. In between apartments buildings 2 and 3 is a grassy yard for the cars. You can cut through there to the beach.

You could also go to the road that begins behind the first apartment building. The sign says do not enter, this is for cars. You walk up the road to where there is a blue and white striped canopy on your left. Walk down the stairs to the beach. There is so much sea glass on the beach, in the water and on the high water mark that it is just amazing. I really think there are thousands of pieces.

On the stairs, the seaglass has been incorporated into the stones and the walls. The patio at the bottom of the stairs also has tables and patio areas with the sea glass mixed into the designs. It is very interesting and imaginative. Just walking down the stairs to the patio is a hoot.:)

We also hit the mother lode Caribbean Bound described. It is a beautiful walk and you can go a short distance past the beach to the narrow channel that the ship passes through as it goes to St. George.

Coolcruise, it is not meant to be shined. My wife has made some great sets of earrings and pendants and they are beautiful in the "dull" state.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I'm sorry but the lady I spoke with who has the jewelry shop next to the pier does something to her pieces because some are "shiny". The earings I looked at were frosted but the large pendant piece was shiny. She would not tell me exactly what she does to the sea glass, but she also didn't say she did nothing.

I tried rubbing with vegetable oil (per instructions from another thread) and they look nice and bright, and still have the "frosted" look. I am attempting to make some pieces of jewelry out of my sea glass.

I tried rubbing with vegetable oil (per instructions from another thread) and they look nice and bright, and still have the "frosted" look. I am attempting to make some pieces of jewelry out of my sea glass.

rubbing it with veg oil does nothing except leave an oily sheen on the glass, making it shine. this will eventually evaporate, but not before collecting a good layer of dust. under a magnifying glass you will see the glass has quite a rough surface, giving it its frosted look. to make it shine, you need to polish it to a smooth finish. use a very fine grit sandpaper, liquid car wax (not paste) and lots of patience and elbow grease and it will eventually take on a permanent maintenance free shine.

yours truly

bdaguy, ninja glass-shiner extroardinaire

I'm sorry but the lady I spoke with who has the jewelry shop next to the pier does something to her pieces because some are "shiny". The earings I looked at were frosted but the large pendant piece was shiny. She would not tell me exactly what she does to the sea glass, but she also didn't say she did nothing.

Will be setting foot, not soon enough, on Bermuda soil so I'll have to see if I can extract any "trade secrets" from any of the artisans.;) Maybe I'll have to call in some reinforcements along the lines of the NINJA to carry out this mission.

iheartbda & bdaguy.

Can we discuss the merits of polishing beach glass at the Hog Penny???? My is expecting to find some nice pieces. iheartbda says she can't nake on the 17th since her cruise boat is shifting to, I think, St George or the Dockyard or maybe Rio. So maybe we can do it on 16 Oct around 17:00 or 18:00. bdaguy, we will be keeping a sharp eye out for you doing your nija bit up among the rafters.

We'll be hauling away out running gear at first light tomorrow heading north to that newly exotic port of call beside lovely downtown Bayonne, New Jersey. And then we will all finnalt be Bermuda bound.

iheartbda & bdaguy.

Can we discuss the merits of polishing beach glass at the Hog Penny???? My is expecting to find some nice pieces. iheartbda says she can't nake on the 17th since her cruise boat is shifting to, I think, St George or the Dockyard or maybe Rio. So maybe we can do it on 16 Oct around 17:00 or 18:00. bdaguy, we will be keeping a sharp eye out for you doing your nija bit up among the rafters.

We'll be hauling away out running gear at first light tomorrow heading north to that newly exotic port of call beside lovely downtown Bayonne, New Jersey. And then we will all finnalt be Bermuda bound.

SJDave and maybe bdaguy,

Looks like I can possibly make the 16th around 8:00. Sure do miss the Zenith and her docking schedule. Bayonne's not too bad, you'll get a glimpse of Lady Liberty's BACK SIDE.:(

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Bermuda. Stopped in the shop next to the pier and sat down next to the lady while she put together some of her jewelry pieces. I asked her if she tumbled the glass and she said she uses them just as she found them. Is she not telling us everything...who knows?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We just came back from Bermuda Sunday on the Majesty. We visited what the locals call glass bottle beach and I can give you easier directions. Ask to be droped at the Royal Naval Cemetary. If you are coming from the dockyard it will be on your left next to the touched by God ministries church. Across the street is Alberts Row, 4 apartment buildings colored various shades of tourquois. At the end of each building is a sign saying Alberts Row number 1-4, or 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. In between apartments buildings 2 and 3 is a grassy yard for the cars. You can cut through there to the beach.

You could also go to the road that begins behind the first apartment building. The sign says do not enter, this is for cars. You walk up the road to where there is a blue and white striped canopy on your left. Walk down the stairs to the beach. There is so much sea glass on the beach, in the water and on the high water mark that it is just amazing. I really think there are thousands of pieces.

On the stairs, the seaglass has been incorporated into the stones and the walls. The patio at the bottom of the stairs also has tables and patio areas with the sea glass mixed into the designs. It is very interesting and imaginative. Just walking down the stairs to the patio is a hoot.:)

We followed these directions last week and it really was amazing. My kids and DH were doubtful at first, but when we came down the stairs and saw all the glass, they were really excited. My youngest picked up so much we had to go back to the ship to drop it off.

I was nervous when we got off the bus, but once I saw that (folded up) blue and white striped canopy, I knew I was in the right place!

Thanks again~

ps "walking down the stairs was a hoot"... I'll say, I tripped going down, and then going back up! Be careful!

Hi - I plan to follow these directions too with my kids in August. How did you get back to the Dockyard? Can you walk(is it too far) or is there a bus stop?

Thanks

It's possible to walk, but I advise taking the bus because there aren't any good walking paths.

When I first asked the bus driver about the old Naval Cemetery, he seemed confused. I said, "I think it's right on the outskirts of the dockyard" and then he knew what I meant.

You can take any bus that's going in that direction (we took the "Special", which usually goes right to the beaches), but make sure you let the bus driver know you'd like to get off at that stop. (I think it's the first stop.) You will know you are at the right stop because you see those 4 turquoise apartment buildings.

The bus stops (both pink and blue) are right outside these apartment buildings. When we wanted to return to the ship, DH was arguing that the dark blue pole we were standing at was not the return bus stop (there was no shelter so he was doubting) but a nice lady on her nearby porch shouted out, 'yes, you're at the right one!'

It is a small 'beach' and you can't really see it til you get down the stairs, but there was tons of sea glass, and my kids got lots of the blue type and even some 'rare' lavender, lol. They really enjoyed it; it was a fun adventure.

It's possible to walk, but I advise taking the bus because there aren't any good walking paths.

When I first asked the bus driver about the old Naval Cemetery, he seemed confused. I said, "I think it's right on the outskirts of the dockyard" and then he knew what I meant.

You can take any bus that's going in that direction (we took the "Special", which usually goes right to the beaches), but make sure you let the bus driver know you'd like to get off at that stop. (I think it's the first stop.) You will know you are at the right stop because you see those 4 turquoise apartment buildings.

The bus stops (both pink and blue) are right outside these apartment buildings. When we wanted to return to the ship, DH was arguing that the dark blue pole we were standing at was not the return bus stop (there was no shelter so he was doubting) but a nice lady on her nearby porch shouted out, 'yes, you're at the right one!'

It is a small 'beach' and you can't really see it til you get down the stairs, but there was tons of sea glass, and my kids got lots of the blue type and even some 'rare' lavender, lol. They really enjoyed it; it was a fun adventure.

Great info. Thanks!

Thanks so much for posting all of the details. I know my group is going to be a little skeptical too! But I've printed your info out and I'm taking it with me!!

Just one more caution: be careful crossing the street; the bus stops are in an area where the road is curvy and the busses and scooters fly by.

I am glad that you had such a fun adventure. I tried to make the directions clear and easy to use. When we went to Bermuda in May, we went to Alexandra Battery Park to compare. I am not exageratting when I say that the glass bottle beach near the dockyard has about 50 times the quanity. With so much available, it is hard to pick and choose from the vast amounts scattered around. There is also a lot in the water near the beach and off the concrete pier. The water is shallow and crystal clear. To be on the safe side, I would suggest wearing water shoes or crocs even though the sea glass is soft and rounded rather than sharp.

If you have time, go accross the street to the Naval cemetary. It has many interesting features and stones and it is located right on the ocean as well.

I was just stunned by the amount of work that went into incorporating the sea glass into the walls, stairs and patio area. Quite an amazing sight.

Remember that the Pink poles at the bus stops are for buses going to Hamilton, Blue are for buses going away from Hamilton either to the Dockyard or St. George.:)

I am glad that you had such a fun adventure. I tried to make the directions clear and easy to use. When we went to Bermuda in May, we went to Alexandra Battery Park to compare. I am not exageratting when I say that the glass bottle beach near the dockyard has about 50 times the quanity. With so much available, it is hard to pick and choose from the vast amounts scattered around. There is also a lot in the water near the beach and off the concrete pier. The water is shallow and crystal clear. To be on the safe side, I would suggest wearing water shoes or crocs even though the sea glass is soft and rounded rather than sharp.

If you have time, go accross the street to the Naval cemetary. It has many interesting features and stones and it is located right on the ocean as well.

I was just stunned by the amount of work that went into incorporating the sea glass into the walls, stairs and patio area. Quite an amazing sight.

Remember that the Pink poles at the bus stops are for buses going to Hamilton, Blue are for buses going away from Hamilton either to the Dockyard or St. George.:)

Very good point about the shoes. We all wore sneakers and it was low tide so we didn't have to venture into the water to get any glass. There really was so much glass and I had to tell my kids to pick through carefully and not use their hands as a shovel (some of the pieces were sharp).

I had originally intended to go all the way over to Alexandra Battery (we had gone to St. George last year & toured the fort) so I was pleased that you had posted the directions to this beach.

Thanks again for the directions!

Archived