Cell Phone rental

The only cell phone that might work would be off a Satellite system. Remember your out in the Ocean and Baltic Sea. You could probably rent it before you left home. They are very expensive.

Ed

If you already have a cell phone that works on GSM, I believe you could get an international SIM card such as Hop Abroad which is on the web for around $90.00. Check out Allworldcellphones web site. My daughter had a worldphone which worked for her overseas, which would perhaps be cheaper than renting a cell phone. Be certain that you provider can assure you that you have international roaming available for you - it various from provider to provider and area to area - so be certain to check before signing up for a cell phone. I am not certain that any would actually work on the ship away from port, but as one may be closer to port, I do beleive it would work.

I have a GSM enabled cell phone thru T-Mobile that I have used all around Europe as well as in Asia & South America. I've used it while the ship was docked and on occasion it also worked out at sea but not way out. I THINK (I'm not sure) that even if the phone isn't within range of a cell tower that a caller can leave you a voice mail which you can then retrieve when you are within range but you should verify that. The charges to use the phone while in Russia to call the US were very high, the highest of any location we have ever been in, so we used an AT&T card from Sam's in a phone booth in that location. As someone else said, be sure to specify that you want the phone internationally enabled so that you can call from out of the country TO the US. Often some of the phone places think you want to call out of the country FROM the US, which is NOT the same thing.

When we were in the baltic last year my U.K. cell phone was ghosting in and out of the various networks and worked in most places except when at sea.As you approach land it does kick in to the local network(if enabled).Dont forget your stateroom phone which will accept incoming as well as outgoing calls,(expensive but if you really want that info you may need to use it) and also you will see the crew phoning home with international phonecards on the pier at every call.There is usually a tourist office available for this.Not sure about russia though.

Norwegian Dream April 2003

CONSTELLATION BALTIC CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

soon to be on board .Thats the life

Constellation MAY 22ND 2004

Archived