Stockholm Advice thread 2015

Ukalady, getting around with taxi/buses/trams might be somewhat limited in central Stockholm.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/8pyCNA_jfOMURO72oCy9U58stPyitXUCMsZC0DV0wAXeHUnd9KnWS6zeXsMJ5GdnHtyaknimlZKiWIA=w1886-h731

Here is the map, as yo can see the street in front of your hotel/the central station, the entire east side of Old town,

Strandvägen, parts of Djurgården and parts of Slussen area will be closed for traffic.

So taxis/buses won't be able to pass through those areas.

From Your hotel I think the best solution would be to take the subway (any southward line) from T-centralen to Slussen and then walk or taxi from there to ship.

For general getting around on that day I'd say walk and harbour ferries would be the best solution.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/%27%27/Stockholm+Tegelvikshamnen/@59.3186362,18.0765846,1036m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77fb539ae3c7:0x6843f2b1e9bfe7a9!2m2!1d18.072331!2d59.319495!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77ff5215e22f:0xb953836c47f940ec!2m2!1d18.090065!2d59.317682!3e2

Thank you, Desdichado62. Do you think we'll be able to each manage 24-inch rolled piece of luggage in the subway? I'm not sure how "crowded/pushy" the subways are in Stockholm. Perhaps things settle down by mid-afternoon and a taxi *would* be possible?

(BTW, your "feet on the ground" tips for this port city are very helpful to those of us who've never been here. Mahalo nui loa!)

Thank you, Desdichado62. Do you think we'll be able to each manage 24-inch rolled piece of luggage in the subway? I'm not sure how "crowded/pushy" the subways are in Stockholm.

Perhaps things settle down by mid-afternoon and a taxi *would* be possible?

(BTW, your "feet on the ground" tips for this port city are very helpful to those of us who've never been here. Mahalo nui loa!)

You can see last years time schedule here: http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/content.cfm?Sec_ID=3655&Rac_ID=171&Lan_ID=1

However I noticed that there might be an alternate route open but you would have to walk to Klarabergsviadukten which is just south from your hotel.

Regardless of that, most streets will be reopened from around 16-17 something.

It will probably be very crowded on the subway though.

Edited by Desdichado62

I emailed both Stromma and Red Sightseeing about the Hop on Hop off Boat in Stockholm. We are arriving on June 3 at Stadsgarden 167 and will be the only cruise ship in port according to Cruise Timetables. We are arriving somewhat early in the season, so this information may differ for other arrival dates. Here were the responses:

Stromma:

Our “hop on – hop off” boat will stop by at the cruise berth where you will be arriving. The first departure will be at 9:45 am though.

The Vasa museum is six stops away so it will take 30 minutes to get there. You can buy a one stop ticket for 50 SEK.

Red Sightseeing:

1. The Hop-On Hop-Off boat will meet the ship at Stadsgården.

2. The boats will be there waiting for you, the first one departing approx. 30 minutes after the passengers start to come out.

3. Usually we offer direct shuttle to the Vasa, however it is too soon to confirm 100% that we will on that particular day.

4. The only ticket we offer is the 24 hour pass. Please keep in mind that we always offer a 10% discount online.

I think I will go with Red Sightseeing. If I buy a voucher online, it is only $20 per person for 24 hours, a pretty inexpensive way to see and get around Stockholm. They also advertise toilets on board and free wifi.

Will be arriving JUly 7th off Oceania Marina from Frihamnen

Hotel is Hellstens Malmgård at Brannkyrkagatan 110,

there will be 4 of us. What is the best option for us to get to the hotel?

What would be the cost?

Is this hotel within walking distance to some areas of interest. We are all big fans of walking.

@krillsister The hotel is in the other end of the city from where your ship docks so very far to walk (around 8km)

I think either take a taxi which would cost around 300SEK (~$36USD).

Or you could use the subway, Red Line #13 towards Norsborg, from either Gärdet or Ropsten stations, get off at Zinkensdamm from here your hotel is about 350m away.

Frihamen to Gärdet T-bana is about a 2km walk.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3436149,18.1214138/G%C3%A4rdet+T-bana,+Stockholm/@59.3484286,18.1057523,15z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d3637a776ed:0xd18892e76fb673e3!2m2!1d18.098793!2d59.347202!3e2

Ropsten is reached with bus #76 towards Ropsten or you could walk.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/%27%27/Hotel+Hellstens+Malmg%C3%A5rd/@59.3219583,18.060505,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x81e056fb4bd5b6bc!2m2!1d18.050152!2d59.317778!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x852623fcca89cef6!2m2!1d18.0462!2d59.317628!3e2

From Zinkensdam to hotel.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/%27%27/Hotel+Hellstens+Malmg%C3%A5rd/@59.3219583,18.060505,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x81e056fb4bd5b6bc!2m2!1d18.050152!2d59.317778!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x852623fcca89cef6!2m2!1d18.0462!2d59.317628!3e2

I think Vasa might be a little too far to walk but the rest of Södermalm and the Old Town area are definitely within walking distance.

As for Vasa from your hotel, I would walk to Räntmästartrappen which is just north of Slussen and travel with Djugårdsfärjan to Djurgården/Vasa (see info first post).

Edited by Desdichado62

During August 14th-17th there will be a "Stockholm steam" festival.

It is a 3 day festival to celebrate that the icebreaker S:t Erik turns 100 years.

The festival will take place at Galärvarvet (next to the Vasa museum) and will feature lots of old/new steam ships and steam sloops.

http://www.sjohistoriska.se/sv/Besok/Aktiviteter/Galarvarvet-Stockholm-Steam/

One of the confirmed participants is the old steamer s/s Bohuslän.

While visiting Stockholm a few days ago I noticed that the tram end stop and tracks at Sergels Torg have been removed. Searching on the web I notice that the tram will turn at Kungsträdgården instead until 2018(?). I mention it here as I think the Sergels Torg stop has been referred to earlier in another thread.

Thule, I have seen info about this before but then it was suggested that it was only temporarily.

But I think now that it was a misinterpretation from my side since it says here that Kungsträdgården will be a new end-stop for tram #7 for the nearest three years.

http://www.sll.se/verksamhet/kollektivtrafik/aktuella-projekt/sparvag-city/pagaende-arbeten/Sergels-torg/

Desdichado

What a fantastic job you have done and how much help you provide is unbelievable. If you ever make it to Arizona I invite you to come and stay with us and visit our State!

I hate to bother you again I know you must remember me. I have read and read the Frommers book and would love to have a month in Stockholm! But one last time can you help me organize a few days going from our hotel ÖRLOGSHOTELLET Teatergatan 3, 111 48 Stockholm

My husband and I will be arriving in Stockholm on May 25th and will be there for 4 days

before we board our cruise ship Celebrity Silhouette.

We plan on arriving taking a taxi from Arlanda airport to our hotel to check in by 2 pm .

Our hotel is

ÖRLOGSHOTELLET

Teatergatan 3, 111 48 Stockholm

The evening of the 25th we plan on doing the Canal Ride eating and then retiring for the night.

Will the Stockholm Card give us unlimited access to the Hop on Hop Off Boat?

Are there any discounts for foreign seniors purchasing the Card?

We plan on buying the Stockholm Card, should I do it online or wait till I arrive?

The cost of 2 Cards for 2 Adults for 3 days would be $193. Will the 3 days be enough to see everything below? I want to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Starting the 26th what would you suggest we so day on 26th, 27th, 28th

Gamma Stan

Vasa Museum

Drothingham Palace

Djugarden

Montelus vagan

ABBA Museum Stockholm City Hall

To Vaxholm by boat and return by Bus

What order would you suggest we visit these sites from our hotel to make the most of each day 26th 27th.

On the 28th we leave our hotel and go to board the ship which will be in port till 3 pm on the 29th. So I hope on the 28th we can do the Vaxholm trip in afternoon and return by bus

early pm on the 28th

Is it possible if we are well organized??? thank you so much!!!

JoAnn jmccurdy1@cox.net

hey jmccurdy, the Stockholm card is not valid for the HoHo boats since those are not part of the public transport system.

Also the are no senior discounts for the Stockholm card.

I think all that on three days is a bit optimistic however. You do have the 29th as well so perhaps you could do some stuff on the 29th as well.

Split it into something like this

Vasa

Abba

Durgården

Drottningholm (get there with public transport, no boat excursions available for your days)

Possible you will have time to do Gamla Stan after you have returned from Drottningholm.

Ship check in

Vaxholm

Gamla Stan

Monteliusvägen

+possible also Skinnarviksberget, they are located very close to each other.

For the last day you won't need the Stockholm card and can buy a single bus ticket to get to Gamla Stan

(or Slussen of you have done Gamla Stan on a previous day) and then another bus ticket for the return to the ship.

Bus #76 to Gamla Stan or Slussen.

Directions from Slussen:

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Slussen+T-bana/Monteliusv%C3%A4gen,+Stockholm/59.3201932,18.0493844/59.3192902,18.0729132/@59.3183235,18.0718566,1609m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m16!4m15!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77fb539ae3c7:0x6843f2b1e9bfe7a9!2m2!1d18.072331!2d59.319495!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77e40321a191:0x6cc322490634b1d3!2m2!1d18.0601971!2d59.3207434!1m0!1m0!3e2

Edited by Desdichado62

We are staying at the Radisson Blu Viking hotel located at Vasagatan 1 P.O. Box 234 – S-101 24 – Stockholm. Our cruise ship leaves from Stadsgarden 160. The directions state "to board any bus of number 400-series (except D) and get off next stop ("Londonviadukten"). The terminal is opposite." Does the 400 line stop by the hotel? Where do you buy a ticket? What is the best what to get from the hotel to the port? Thanks.

Terri. if your ship docks at S160, it is a slightly shorter walk from Slussen then from Londonviakdukten.

The other advantage is that you don't have to look for a connecting bus at Slussen.

To get to Slussen, either any south bound subway to Slussen from T-centralen, or bus #53 from centralen to Slussen.

Centralen/T-centralen (which is the same more or less) is located next door to your hotel.

For the subway it is most convenient to pay at the platform stair gates, for bus there are pressbyrån shop (https://www.pressbyran.se/)at the street level floor at centralen.

Thanks. Would you suggest the train or bus if we have one suitcase each.

I don't think there are any bigger differences but going with the bus will give you a nice view of the city hall, Riddarfjärden, Söder/Norr Mälarstrand & Riddarholmen if you sit on the right in the bus,

The left side will give you a view of the western side of the old town.

Also for the bus make sure it has the direction towards Henriksdalsberget/Finnberget.

I tried making a booking for our group of eight for the Ice Bar on the evening of May 27 but the system says "online bookings open only 60 days before visit date", though we are within this 60 day limit. Anyone booked the Ice Bar recently, how can I go about this? Thanks!

Prish,

I wanted to visit the Ice Bar when we are in port May 18. I have been trying to book a reservation since the 60 day mark. I finally emailed them. Turns out that the whole day is booked up with group bookings from the cruise ships. I am pretty upset and disappointed as I have been emailing the Ice Bar since last October and on every email I stated the date and time. They kept telling me to wait and book within 60 days. My last email from them was yesterday asking if I wanted a reservation at 1630 as that was the earliest they have for that day. I have to be back on the ship by 1600. Booking via the cruise ship is $100 USD per person. Way too much! This was a birthday present to a friend I am traveling with. I am now at a loss as to a substitution.

Hope you have better luck.

Prish,

I wanted to visit the Ice Bar when we are in port May 18. I have been trying to book a reservation since the 60 day mark. I finally emailed them. Turns out that the whole day is booked up with group bookings from the cruise ships. I am pretty upset and disappointed as I have been emailing the Ice Bar since last October and on every email I stated the date and time. They kept telling me to wait and book within 60 days. My last email from them was yesterday asking if I wanted a reservation at 1630 as that was the earliest they have for that day. I have to be back on the ship by 1600. Booking via the cruise ship is $100 USD per person. Way too much! This was a birthday present to a friend I am traveling with. I am now at a loss as to a substitution.

OMG, never thought of this possibility, felt it must be a computer glitch:( Have emailed them, so lets see what they reply, am very sorry for you.

My husband and I are taking the 19-day Holland American Baltic & Norwegian Fjords Cruise on the Eurodam departing from Copenhagen on August 7. My husband has limited mobility and I would like some advice on which ports we should DIY and which should we take tours in, including HOHO. We are booking a private car in both St. Petersburg and Warnemunde/Berlin. Another question is, which HOHO line offers the best deal in Copenhagen since I have read that there are several companies offering the HOHO.

Prish,

Save your money. We've done an Ice Bar once and it's just not worth the hassle.

My husband and I are taking the 19-day Holland American Baltic & Norwegian Fjords Cruise on the Eurodam departing from Copenhagen on August 7. My husband has limited mobility and I would like some advice on which ports we should DIY and which should we take tours

Imo even with your husband's limited mobility in mind, I'd say Stockholm is a DIY port.

You can do everything in your own pace and the public transport network is very accessible even for those with limited mobility.

Get yourself a 24 hour travel card for the public transport network when you arrive and you should be able to get yourself around easily, it is also much cheaper then doing a hoho bus tour.

I've done one of the HoHo bus tours in Stockholm and I was not impressed.

@pompeii I'm not aware of any discount codes for the Stockholm card.

We will be one of four ships arriving in Stockholm on Sunday morning, July

12th. Yikes! Our plan was to grab some seats on a HOHO boat to Vasa and then find our way to Gamla Stan. Assuming many of those 8000+ people will be DIYers, my guess is that everything will be jammed up, including the HOHO boats, the buses and the taxis, as well as the major tourist attractions. Do you have any advice on how to best deal with these circumstances or should we just throw our hands up (and our money!) and sign up for a shore excursion?