Stockholm Advice thread 2015

Hi,

you were going on the Regal Princess, I think?

You can see the schedule here:

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/#imo=9584724

If you have another ship, click on 'Vessel calls' and chose 'Search by date' from the pick list.

Thanks for the link. Although we are scheduled to sail into Nynashamn, several of Regal's sailings this summer have been able to sail the archipelago and dock in Stockholm instead. They announce the change on the ship depending on weather conditions, so the port schedule won't show it at this point. The good news is that there is room for us in Stockholm on 9/9 so if the weather gods smile on us, we'll be in luck!

An update:

MS Emelie accepts cash (confirmed prior via e-mail) and was an cheap way to get to Vasa (got off ship straight away so got a 'free' 15 min boat ride past some swanky apartments first as it's 55 SEK per journey).

Then got the tram into town and later a bus back to the ship.

An update:

MS Emelie accepts cash (confirmed prior via e-mail) and was an cheap way to get to Vasa (got off ship straight away so got a 'free' 15 min boat ride past some swanky apartments first as it's 55 SEK per journey).

Then got the tram into town and later a bus back to the ship.

Ok that is good to know. I'll try to remember it for next year's thread.

Some recent pictures from Stockholm:

This is Sandhamn is small village on a small island (Sandön) in the outer Stockholm archipelago,

it can be reached by boat from central Stockholm (will take many (3,5-4 hours) or bus/car to Stavsnäs and boat from there.

It is also one of the homes of KSSS (Kungliga Svenska Segelsällskapet / Royal Swedish Sailing Fellowship)

2015%2008%2001%20042_zpsknbzxmrr.jpg

2015%2008%2001%20048_zpsvquc6aos.jpg

2015%2008%2001%20049_zpsu06jlavp.jpg

2015%2008%2001%20051_zpskpay43bi.jpg

2015%2008%2001%20062_zpsaugn0nmm.jpg

2015%2008%2001%20068_zpsj0ujz0dv.jpg

Edited by Desdichado62

´

A few pics from central Stockholm:

This is Danvikskanalen and the narrow pass is called Danvikstull and the bridge is Danviksbron.

2015%2008%2001%20078_zpsxdyofshn.jpg

The area just east of Stadsgården which is called Danviken/Saltsjökvarn (former milling area)/Finnboda (former shipyard area).

2015%2008%2001%20122_zps6a2x7r5m.jpg

2015%2008%2001%20086_zpsv7lkdrxi.jpg

Furthest to the left, Stadsgårdskajen berth S167 with the HoHo and ferry berth just outside the pic's left edge.

Then just to the right of S167, you can see the Old Town area with Skeppsbron/Skeppsbroraden facing the camera, the three towers that are visible over

the Old Town is City Hall (located at Kungsholmen), Tyska Kyrkan, Storkyrkan and Riddarholmskyrkan (to the right of the Royal Palace).

The islands in the center of the picture are Skeppsholmen (which is situated behind Kastellholmen in this picture).

The island furthest to the right is Beckholmen

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ThunderboltDragon

Edited by Desdichado62

To get to Drottningholms slott, either use public transport which will take 45-60 minutes http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/sn?SID=A%3D1%40O%3DLondonviadukten%20(Stockholm)%40X%3D18096867%40Y%3D59314728%40U%3D74%40L%3D300101461%40B%3D1%40p%3D1438842205%40&ZID=A%3D2%40O%3DDrottningholms%20Slott%201,%20Drottningholm%40X%3D17886870%40Y%3D59321748%40U%3D174%40L%3D990003843%40B%3D1%40p%3D1438842392%40&

change date to September 6th since the 13th is still not available for search (will be in a few days) and the time to desired option.

The other option is to go by boat which is simpler and more scenic but will also require longer and less flexible travelling.

http://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/excursions/day-trips/drottningholm-palace/

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/sn?SID=A%3D1%40O%3DLondonviadukten%20(Stockholm)%40X%3D18096867%40Y%3D59314728%40U%3D74%40L%3D300101461%40B%3D1%40p%3D1438842205%40&ZID=A%3D1%40O%3DStadshusbron%20(Stockholm)%40X%3D18053422%40Y%3D59326980%40U%3D74%40L%3D300100971%40B%3D1%40p%3D1438842205%40&

Don't know how much time you will need at Drottningholm but I would guess that that at least two hours are required

Edited by Desdichado62

Quick question: we arrive at berth 165, I'm guessing that means the second ship (dock) from the right

You can see a bus stop called 'Tegelvikshamnen'. Is there any reason why we shouldn't take a bus to this stop to get back to the ship, but use Londonviadukten instead like you described?

Edited by WouterC

Quick question: we arrive at berth 165, I'm guessing that means the second ship (dock) from the right

You can see a bus stop called 'Tegelvikshamnen'. Is there any reason why we shouldn't take a bus to this stop to get back to the ship, but use Londonviadukten instead like you described?

It depends on where you are going. It is not a stop for the regular public buses. From here you have Red sightseeing HoHo bus which next stop is city hall.

Then one bus goes to cityterminalen and the third bus goes to Motala which is another city.

Edited by Desdichado62

It depends on where you are going. It is not a stop for the regular public buses. From here you have Red sightseeing HoHo bus which next stop is city hall.

Then one bus goes to cityterminalen and the third bus goes to Motala which is another city.

Okay, thanks for the info. Looks like it's a good option to go to Gamla Stan, but not for getting back.

Okay, thanks for the info. Looks like it's a good option to go to Gamla Stan, but not for getting back.

Neither will stop at Gamla stan and for the one to City Hall, you could as well use the public buses that stops at Gamla stan.

Sjövägen have a new schedule from August 17th http://sjovagen.nu/getfile.ashx?cid=497689&cc=3&refid=5

Edited by Desdichado62

Neither will stop at Gamla stan and for the one to City Hall, you could as well use the public buses that stops at Gamla stan.

Sjövägen have a new schedule from August 17th http://sjovagen.nu/getfile.ashx?cid=497689&cc=3&refid=5

Thanks for the info. We're going the 'other way' though: first to Vasa, then counter-clockwise to Gamla Stan and back to the ship.

I was just looking for ways to get back to the ship, so I think - like you recommended in your very first post of this thread - that's going to be a bus from a bus stop in Gamla Stan to the Londonviadukten bus stop, plus walking back to the ship.

Edited by WouterC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm beginning to research our visit to Stockholm. We'll be arriving on Regal Princess which I believe docks at Nynäshamn. We'd like to see the following and I'm wondering if this is doable in one day. We arrive at 7:00 AM and the ship leaves at 7:00 PM. Here's the list:

Vasa

Ice Bar

ABBA Museum

Nobel Museum

Royal Place - would like to see the changing of the guard

Gamla Stan - for lunch and shopping

Many thanks in advance for your help!

FraudBroad, it is not known yet if the Regal Princess will continue to berth in Nynäshamn or if it will berth in central Stockholm.

Last year the Royal Princess berthed in Nynäshamn on all occasions but this year it has sailed into Stockholm once or twice, so we'll see what happens.

I know that they want to berth in Stockholm but whether or not they will... we just have to wait and see.

I don't know when the arrival list for next season will be released but likely within 1-2 months or something like that.

So before we know where you will dock, it will be a little hard to know how much time you will actually have.

12 hours from central Stockholm is maybe 50% more then 12 hours from Nynäshamn.

FraudBroad, it is not known yet if the Regal Princess will continue to berth in Nynäshamn or if it will berth in central Stockholm.

Last year the Royal Princess berthed in Nynäshamn on all occasions but this year it has sailed into Stockholm once or twice, so we'll see what happens.

I know that they want to berth in Stockholm but whether or not they will... we just have to wait and see.

I don't know when the arrival list for next season will be released but likely within 1-2 months or something like that.

So before we know where you will dock, it will be a little hard to know how much time you will actually have.

12 hours from central Stockholm is maybe 50% more then 12 hours from Nynäshamn.

Thanks so much for the heads up! I'll keep my eye on the port schedule for changes!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not read all 116 pages from the last 6 years--I just found this thread--so you may have already answered this.

A few years ago I was researching Baltic cruises and I remember something about the different ports in Stockholm, and I believe there are two and many said one is much better because it is so awe-inspiring to come in that way and I think it was also right in the heart of town.

Now that we are getting more serious about doing this, I want to make sure which port that is, and choose a ship accordingly.

Thank you!

I have not read all 116 pages from the last 6 years--I just found this thread--so you may have already answered this.

A few years ago I was researching Baltic cruises and I remember something about the different ports in Stockholm, and I believe there are two and many said one is much better because it is so awe-inspiring to come in that way and I think it was also right in the heart of town.

Now that we are getting more serious about doing this, I want to make sure which port that is, and choose a ship accordingly.

Thank you!

The one to avoid is Nynäshamn, it will require an hour long transport from the port to central Stockholm and it will not offer you the magnificent journey through the archipelago.

For the three berth areas in central Stockholm there is no big difference, possible a slight advantage for Stadsgården but not big enough to be a decisive factor when choosing a cruise.

Edited by Desdichado62