Stockholm Advice thread 2015

If you have lots of luggage a taxi would probably be the best solution if you don't want to walk for longer stretches.

I would strongly recommend pre-booking a taxi and the taxi cost would be about 220-250SEK ($26-30 USD) with Taxi Stockholm.

The price at Taxi Kurir or Taxi 020 might differ a little in either direction.

Edited by Desdichado62

Thank you so much for consolidating all the Stockholm information. All the information is very useful. I have a question about the Hop on Hop off Boat.

There are two HOHOB companies, Red Sightseeing and Stromma. Red Sightseeing states on their website that they meet the cruise ships, but Stromma does not say anything about this. Does Red meet the ship at Stadsgarden 167? Does Stromma?

It looks like we can buy a one stop ticket on Stromma, but have to buy a 24 hour pass for Red Sightseeing.

We are only going to be in Stockholm from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. The Vasa museum opens at 8:30 this day, so taking the HOHOB that goes directly to the Vasa will be perfect. My question is: is using the HOHOB the rest of the day the most efficient way to get to Gamla Stan and then back to Stadsgarden?

Since the boats both go in a clockwise direction, we will be spending a lot of time getting from Vasa to Gamla Stan and then back to the cruise port. I also worry that there will be a lot of people trying to get back to our ship at the same time in the afternoon. According to Cruise Timetables, we are the only ship in port this day.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Previous years both Strömma and R.B.S have met up with the ship when they have docked.

As for tickets I am pretty sure that R.B.S also allows you to buy a one stop ticket but your can probably only buy this when you board the boat.

In general I don't think the HoHO boats are a good transport option due to that they have a clockwise route and that they have many stops.

If you want to avoid the need to buy bus tickets from Vasa to Gamla Stan,

you could use Djurgårdsfärjan from Allmänna Gränd to Räntmästartrappan which is located on the south eastern tip of Gamla Stan.

You have info links and map links regarding Djurgårdsfärjan in the first post.

Then from Gamla Stan to the ship you could either walk or take a bus from Old Town or Slussen.

Walking directions: https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.3218667,18.0724483/59.3196778,18.0725752/59.317685,18.0826281/59.317143,18.0894624/59.3158619,18.0899345/59.3154137,18.0946413/59.3162834,18.0952142/59.3160371,18.1029711/@59.3190175,18.0895262,1081m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

bus stop ; https://www.google.se/maps/place/Londonviadukten/@59.3147469,18.0978819,133m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x465f7803959e0e13:0x9b15ae72da636cca

Here is a post from last year regarding the HoHo-boats at Stadsgården S167:

I have been in contact with the Red Sightseeing HOHO and they state they will be at the berth early to arrive for opening of Vasa.

However, I too have contacted the other company, Stromma, which also seems to own Royal Sightseeing and they stated they would

be at berth at 10:00 even though I told them the ship landed at 8:00. Our cruise is in August and is in port for the same times as your ship.

I would be curious to know you outcome after your visit.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42884442#post42884442

Edited by Desdichado62

We will be in Stockholm on July 26th. Although we are taking a group tour we wanted to stay longer and look around in Gamla Stan. What is the best way to get back to the ship that is docked at Nynashamn. And if we tender in and the ship leaves by 7 pm, how long does it take to get back and when would the latest time we should get on the train back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mei-Lin

We will be in Stockholm on July 26th. Although we are taking a group tour we wanted to stay longer and look around in Gamla Stan. What is the best way to get back to the ship that is docked at Nynashamn. And if we tender in and the ship leaves by 7 pm, how long does it take to get back and when would the latest time we should get on the train back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mei-Lin

The only viable transport from Stockholm to Nynäshamn is the commuter train (see first post). It will take about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

I don't know when you need to leave but I think absolute minimum would be an hour and half before the last tender from Nynäshamn to the ship.

From Nynäshamn station it will be a 10-15 min walk to the tender according to visit Nynäshamn. Distance is about 1.3km.

http://www.visitnynashamn.se/en/home/cruise/faq.4.2447cef013e3c1b82892878.html

http://kartor.eniro.se/m/sdZWT

Edited by Desdichado62

Desdichado62,

We will dock in Nynashamn (unfortunately) so we will miss the sail in through the archpelago:(. We would love to take a boat out of either Nynashamn or Stockholm into the archipelago so we can at least see some of it. We would also like to have time to wander around Gamla Stan and spend an hour or so at the Vasa Museum. Our day is from 7am-6pm. Is there any way to make this all possible?

We don't mind diy transportation from the port into Stockholm and back, as long as we have clear instructions on what to do. Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Susan

Pompeii, It is doable but it would would mean that you will have to rush things quite a bit since Vasa doesn't open until 10.00

There is a round trip with Strömma that departs at 13.30 and will be back at 16.00

However this means that you have 3.5 hours to see Vasa, transport yourselves to Gamla Stan, see Gamla Stan and then transport yourselves to the boat.

http://www.stromma.se/sv/Stockholm/Skargard/Dagsutflykter/Lilla-Skargardsturen/

Waxholmsbolaget also have extensive boat traffic into the archipelago but they are not round trips.

It is possible to go with one boat to Vaxholm and then get off and go with another boat back to Stockholm but it isn't certain that the departure times matches.

Anyway, Vaxholmsbolagets timetables for September are not available yet and probably won't be for another month or two.

Thanks, yes I had seen those Stromma trips into the archipelago, and thought about doing the one that leaves at 10:30am. It returns at 1pm, so we would then have the afternoon to do our other sightseeing. I just noticed that our departure time has been changed to 7pm, which is good (my original paperwork said 6.) I figure we would have to leave Stockholm for Nynashamn no later than 5pm, which leaves us 4 hours to see what we want to see and get to the train station for the return. Would be tight for both old town and Vasa. Maybe we could squeeze old town in before the boat trip, then Vasa afterwards. Our day is still a work in progress. I would take the ship sponsored transport except it doesn't leave until 9:45am, which is way too late as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you SO MUCH. I'm just beginning to plan our port days for our Baltic Cruise and now I know exactly where our ship will berth and how to get there to the sights we want to see in town. I have bookmarked this for future reference.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to provide all this good info.

Thanks for all your invaluable information and links!

We arrive by air in Stockholm at 12:30 pm on the day we need to board the Celebrity Silhouette on May 28. Fortunately the ship does not depart until the next day! I believe the ship docks in Frihamnen and I saw your suggestions on transportation to the docks from the airport. How long will it take to arrive at the docks? Should we take private transportation to save time. I believe we are supposed to be checked on board the ship by 4:00.

Thanks for your help.

The Arlanda Express train takes about 20 minutes from Arlanda to Centralstation.

So if your plane arrives at the gate at 12.30 I would guess that you'll be in Stockholm at no later then 14.00.

Airport coaches takes a little longer, 45 minutes, but I think you should be able to get into Stockholm city at no later the 14.30 or so.

Then from Cityterminalen or Centralstation to the ship expect another 30 min or so by public transport or 20 minutes if you prefer a taxi.

Important information for those of you who docks in Nynäshamn.

Sorry for not including this information in the first post but i just found out.

It is about the commuter train between Stockholm and Nynäshamn.

During 6 weeks (likely weeks 26-32; June 22nd - August 2nd not confirmed yet) bus will replace the commuter train between Västerhaninge station and Nynäshamn station.

I don't know more at the moment but I will let you know once I have more info.

In anyway expect travelling times during these weeks to take longer time then normal.

There are a bus that goes from Nynäshamn to Gullmarsplan where you can change to subway or another bus but it last departure in the morning from Nynäshamn is at 08.28 already.

It is bus #861 from Nynäshamn to Gullamarsplan, change to any north bound subway line to Slussen, change to bus #76 towards Rospten or bus #69 towards Blockhusudden get off at Djurgårdsbron.

From Slussen you can also go with Djurgårdsfärjan to Allmänna gränd on Djurgården and walk from there to Slussen.

Journey will take about 1 hour 20 min to 1 hour 30 min.

For other direction, from T-centralen, Gamla Stan or Slussen, you can use subway green line #18 towards Farsta strand or subway green line #18 Hagsätra to Gullamrsplan and from there go with bus #861 to Nynäshamn.

From T-centralen the journey will take about 1 hour.

Edited by Desdichado62

We arrive Stockholm May 27 at noon and hope to be at our B&B near Gamla Stan by 2.30pm, we board our ship on the 28th and sail out on the 29th. We plan on doing a canal cruise with Stromma, I believe it is called "under the bridges", do I need to book this in advance or can we just show up and buy the tickets? We have 27th or 28th evening for this tour but would like to wait if possible, mainly because of the weather, can I wait till we get to Stockholm or do you suggest booking ahead?

Also, what would be the best way of getting to Sodermalm from Frihamnen where our ship will be docked? Thanks in advance:)

We arrive Stockholm May 27 at noon and hope to be at our B&B near Gamla Stan by 2.30pm, we board our ship on the 28th and sail out on the 29th. We plan on doing a canal cruise with Stromma, I believe it is called "under the bridges", do I need to book this in advance or can we just show up and buy the tickets? We have 27th or 28th evening for this tour but would like to wait if possible, mainly because of the weather, can I wait till we get to Stockholm or do you suggest booking ahead?

Also, what would be the best way of getting to Sodermalm from Frihamnen where our ship will be docked? Thanks in advance:)

I don't know how popular these tours are but these tours departs once an hour so I don't think need to book, at least not now.

From Frihamnen to Södermalm by public transport. Bus #76 would be a good choice.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/%27%27/%27%27/@59.3249878,18.0761666,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f82b5dd2cdb05:0xe468aca644bf4a6f!2m2!1d18.117975!2d59.341502!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f781daaef79d9:0x8fa64deca634310d!2m2!1d18.089263!2d59.308432!3e3

josumello, about 10 min to the stop at Djurgårdsbron then another 5-6-7minutes walk to Vasa.

It will pass by or nearby, Vasa, Old Town (with the Royal Palace) and then Katarinavägen view point (Glasbruksgatan stop).

Thanks. Great info.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks a lot Desdichado, will play it by the ear for the canal cruise. And we want to go to Gamla Stan after Sodermalm, so bus #76 will be the one we need to take it appears, thanks again:)

Or if you have time/energy you could walk , since Gamla Stan is with in walking distance (depending on which part of Södermalm you plan on visiting).

Edited by Desdichado62

Important information for those of you who docks in Nynäshamn.

Sorry for not including this information in the first post but i just found out.

It is about the commuter train between Stockholm and Nynäshamn.

During 6 weeks (weeks 26-32; June 22nd - August 2nd) bus will replace the commuter train between Västerhaninge station and Nynäshamn station.

I have the date listed above confirmed by Trafikverket but I have no more news regarding the buses that will replace the train between the two stations mentioned above.

Edited by Desdichado62

We will be in Stockholm from 8 am to 5 pm on Sunday June 7, 2015, docking at 167 Stadsgarden. We would like to take the City Hall tour, and visit the Vasa Museum and Skansen Villages.

We plan to purchase a Stockholm Card. What is your recommendation of the best order to visit these places? And what public transportation routes will be most efficient for our time from the Stadsgarden area? Will we have any issues with closings on a Sunday?

We are 3 active adults around age 60, experienced travelers but we do not speak or read Swedish. Thanks in advance for your advice and all your great comments on this and other threads.

We will be in Stockholm from 8 am to 5 pm on Sunday June 7, 2015, docking at 167 Stadsgarden. We would like to take the City Hall tour, and visit the Vasa Museum and Skansen Villages.

We plan to purchase a Stockholm Card. What is your recommendation of the best order to visit these places? And what public transportation routes will be most efficient for our time from the Stadsgarden area? Will we have any issues with closings on a Sunday?

We are 3 active adults around age 60, experienced travelers but we do not speak or read Swedish. Thanks in advance for your advice and all your great comments on this and other threads.

Well since Vasa and Skansen are situated more or less next door, it would be wise to do them at the same time.

The thing is with city hall is that you have to go on their tours to be able to visit it.

Tickets can only be bought on the same day as you plan to visit no pre-purchase or booking is available.

June 6-30: tours in English at 09.30, 10.00, 10.30, 11.00, 11.30, 12.00, 12.30, 13.00, 13.30, 14.00, 14.30, 15.00, 15.30 and 16.00

http://international.stockholm.se/the-city-hall/tours-of-the-city-hall/

Opening hours won't be a problem.

I don't really know in what order yo should do it, most people start with Vasa and then do Gamla Stan or whatever else they have planned.

So basically either start with Vasa+Skansen or with the city hall.

Use the travel planner linked in the first post to find connections.

We're arriving in Stockholm May 29, spending the night then boarding the Viking Atla (Stadsgarden, Berth S160) on May 30, spending the night on the boat and then touring Stockholm additionally on Sunday morning, May 31 before the ship departs.

With the May 30 marathon mentioned in the first post of this thread, will we have a difficult time getting around on that day?

We had planned on checking out of the Radisson Viking on the morning of May 30 but asking them to store our luggage, exploring around then returning to the Radisson Viking mid-afternoon to retrieve luggage and check in on the ship.

In light of the marathon, what areas of Stockholm would be best for us to *easily* visit that day? Would a taxi be preferable to get from the Radisson Viking to the ship--or, due to the event, would it be a long taxi ride and another method of getting there would be better (walking? We're pretty fit and would only each be pulling along a wheeled 24-inch suitcase, nothing else). Or perhaps walking/towing luggage is really dumb due to the terrain?

Thank you for your experience and insight!