Stockholm Advice thread 2015

Sorry - I didn't post the question for myself, I only asked since someone else started a different thread and I hoped you'd be able to help them figure out how to get to Stockholm since the Princess shuttles are oddly running so late. We sailed to the Baltics last summer, and purchased a Stockholm card, since we visited a lot of museums in Stockholm (Vasa, Historika, Skansen plus the aquarium and the Royal armory) plus we used public transportation to get to each of these sites.

Edited by kitkat343

Sorry - I didn't post the question for myself, I only asked since someone else started a different thread and I hoped you'd be able to help them figure out how to get to Stockholm since the Princess shuttles are oddly running so late. We sailed to the Baltics last summer, and purchased a Stockholm card, since we visited a lot of museums in Stockholm (Vasa, Historika, Skansen plus the aquarium and the Royal armory) plus we used public transportation to get to each of these sites.

Gotcha. Did you find the Stockholm card worth it?

Greetings. My wife and I will be there on May 18th on the RCCL Serenade. We've never been there. Looking at the things to do it seems like I'd be most interested in the Royal Palace, the Armoury, the Vasa Museum, and walking around Old Town (Gamla Stan). My wife's priority is the ABBA Museum. It seems like tickets for the other things are no problem but the ABBA Museum needs prepurchased tickets. It also looks like ABBA and Vasa are in the same part of town, and the Palace/Armoury are right in Old Town. So I'm thinking the best plan would be to take public transportation out to Djurgarden and see ABBA/Vasa first, then backtrack to the Palace/Armoury.

I have no idea where the ships dock, but we're scheduled to be there at 900. Fumbling through the translated directions on some of the web pages, it seems like it's about 25 minutes from Gamla Stan to ABBA.

My questions:

1) If you were us, what time would you book the ABBA tickets for?

2) Is the idea of doing all of these things too ambitious? We're in port until 1700, so I think we'd want to be back on the ship (wherever it is that it docks) by 1600 to be safe. I'd think ABBA will probably take 1 hour, maybe 2. Vasa would probably be the same. Docking at 900, if we allow an hour, we should be at ABBA by 1000, at Vasa probably by 1200, heading out of there by 1400 at worst. That would give us 2 hours if those times hold true. Probably not enough for the Palace and Armoury, no?

3) If you had to choose, between Vasa/Palace/Armoury, what would you prioritize? The Armoury seems most interesting to me. I'm sure the Palace is ridiculously impressive and beautiful but we've seen that type of thing before (not palaces, per se, but we live near Newport RI USA and have seen the "summer cottage" turn-of-the-century mansions). Vasa seems interesting but we've also done that sort of thing (Fram in Oslo).

4) Does anyone know where RCCL docks and what the travel time to Gamla Stan would be?

Thanks for any input. I'm starting my research on this trip pretty late due to personal issues, so any help is appreciated.

Jd, I don't know which time you should bok your tickets for, but expect vasa to take one hour once you get inside. So probably not before 11.15-11.30.

Top priority is Vasa, it's more or less one of a kind museum and one of the finest maritime museums in the world. It is a real must.

Choosing between the armoury and the Royal Palace I dont know.

Here's a few pics of the Royal Palace parade floors.;

http://www.google.se/search?q=kungliga+slottet+paradv%C3%A5ningarna&safe=off&hl=sv-SE&source=lnms&biw=360&bih=439&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=jMksVbWgHIixygPVq4C4BQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

I don't know when you are due in Stockholm or where you will berth but use the link in the first post to find out where you berth and how to get to/from Djurgården.

Hello Desdichado62

Firstly, thank you for all of your wonderful information in this thread!

This is my first ever post, so please excuse me if I have done something wrong, in the wrong place etc...!

We arrive in Stockholm on 25th May at 9am on Serenade of the Seas, at Stadsgarden, S167. We are a party of 7, including a 79 and 85 year old, who are mobile but can't walk distances >1km easily (or at least very slowly).

Please can you help advise for some transport options.

My original plan was:

9am ish: take the HOHO bus to Old Town (redbus told me they will have buses waiting for the cruise ship before their normal operating time of 10am. ALso a HoHo boat which may go direct to Vasa if enough travellers want to do that).

Look around old town, HOHO bus to Vasa, HOHO to central station, Ice Bar, HOHO back to ship via Fjallgaten.

However, the only time available for the Ice Bar is 11.15am, which really messes the schedule up, as the HOHO bus route won't allow us to do the other things in the time available. I know that you posted about the public bus 69/69k for getting from Ice Bar to Vasa. Is there a public bus from Stadsgarden to somewhere near the Ice Bar, or to the old town? Is it a long walk from the Royal Palace to the Ice Bar (bearing in mind the older travellers?) After Vasa, we could take the HOHO boat back from Vasa to the ship, although would miss out on Fjallgaten.

Any suggestions you could make would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Ian

Thanks so much for the wealth of information above. I can provide more detailed information re Nynasham now.

1). This year ships have to rely on Tenders. Next summer there will be a folding dock such as they use in the Norwegian Fjords to enable docking.

2). Once tendered there is a blue line marking to walk to Nynasham railway station. The kiosk should be open early. 24hr public transfer tickets cost 115SEK, (70 SEK for under 20yrs and over 65) and cover the cost of the train plus public transport (including some ferries) within STOCKHOLM. There is no 24 HR Stockholm card this year (covering transport & museums) as they cldn't reach a deal with providers. Trains take about 1 hour. (It is a 60 km journey).

Trains run twice an hour and are normally direct. They run

From Nynäshamn: 20 and 50 minutes past every hour.

From Stockholm: 4 and 34 minutes past every hour.

However watch out for train line works from 22 June to mid August when part of the journey will be by bus)

3). PRIVATE TRANSFERS. The Nynasham Information/ tourist office can organise private minibus transfers with Kirstens Taxis...the bus takes up to 19 people. C 5088 SEK return for the whole bus. The real problem is identifying a pick up time, given Princess ((with whom I am sailing..beginning to regret that) simply have not responded to my question about access to tenders for this who are travelling independently. Do we have to wait for all their tours to be tendered before we can access the tenders. The only response ai have received is through my travel agent saying that they have my email, but there is no timescale for a response. I have experienced problems with telephone connections with Princess, as the transfer system results in the call being cut off.

3). For those who have missed out on the final part of the sail into Stockholm there is a 3 HR ferry tour from Stockholm pier with STROMMA ferries.

http://www.stromma.se/en/Stockholm/Sightseeing/Sightseeing-by-boat/Ar

4). Whilst there are some HOPO buses from Nynasham they do NOT run regularly and passengers will need to check with the Nynasham Tourist office to ensure it runs on their tour day..and times, given the tender timing issues.

Here is the current known information front he Nynasham information office: Strömma will most likely have hop-on hop-off buses during the following dates:

May 11

June 2, 13, 16, 24 and 28

July 5 and 7

August 7, 12 and 29

September 1, 9, 10, 17 and

24 October 1, 8 and 15

The price for a ticket is SEK330. This ticket includes the transfer to Stockholm, a hop-on hop-off tour in Stockholm and the transfer back to Nynäshamn. There are no discounts for students and seniors. The price for children is SEK100."

Nonio, as far as I am aware, no decision have been made for next year regarding the * Princess ships.

As I have reported previously there are or have been simulations going on to see if these ships can granted the cruise line's request to dock in central Stockholm.

I haven't heard anything since the past winter where I was told that simulations were still ongoing.

The problem is that some parts of the Furusund fairway have a few very narrow passaged where a ship of this size might not be able to pass.

Nonio, as far as I am aware, no decision have been made for next year regarding the * Princess ships.

As I have reported previously there are or have been simulations going on to see if these ships can granted the cruise line's request to dock in central Stockholm.

I haven't heard anything since the past winter where I was told that simulations were still ongoing.

The problem is that some parts of the Furusund fairway have a few very narrow passaged where a ship of this size might not be able to pass.

Hi there

I may not have been clear enough. The flexible dock was for Nynasham to avoid the use of tenders, not for use in Stockholm, given that the larger ships have problems navigating the final passage. The source of my info was the Nynasham Information office. Hope that helps!

Hi there

I may not have been clear enough. The flexible dock was for Nynasham to avoid the use of tenders, not for use in Stockholm, given that the larger ships have problems navigating the final passage. The source of my info was the Nynasham Information office. Hope that helps!

Sorry for double post but it took a while to find the thread I was looking for.

I have written some about it before in these threads: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2081517

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2029064&page=2

Hello,

The 24 hour Stockholm Card has been cancelled (only valid until the 29th of April 2015).

The other cards (3 days etc.) can still be bought during 2015.

What? :confused::confused:

The stupidity of SL becomes bigger and bigger each day, they apparently try their best to make it difficult for cruise passengers/tourists visiting Stockholm.

What a bunch of clowns. :rolleyes::rolleyes: They really have no clue about what they are doing.

Also I just read that the buses in Stockholm will get different numbers/routes after midsummer. It does NOT affect bus #76 to/from Frihamnen but will affect bus #53 to/from Stadsgårdskajen sligthly.

However I don't think it means any real changes for cruise passengers. It will still stop at Londonviadukte and Slussen. However it now will go on the east side of the Old Town so it will now also stop at the Royal Palace.

http://sl.se/sv/info/resa/forandringar/innerstan2015/nytt-linjenat-2015/

BTw just found a map of the inner-city bus routes: http://sl.se/resources/maps/geographics/2015/7510.Innerstan.2015.html

Edited by Desdichado62

Hi, CrazyJess!

With your little one you have to go to Junibacken,

It is a fairytale land with personages and houses of Scandinavian fairytale characters (like Pepi Longstocking, Mumins and others). we've been there with our daughter last time and she had a lot of fun. We were stuck there for the whole day. You first take a little train which takes you through fairytale scenes and you can listen to comments through earphones, and then you just walk around and children are allowed to crawl and climb everywhere, touch everything and play with things inside the play houses.

If you have any questions about arriving by cruise ship to Nynäshamn, please have a look at Nynäshamn´s Tourist Information Office official website: http://www.visitnynashamn.se/cruise

The FAQ site is very useful: http://www.visitnynashamn.se/en/home/cruise/faq.4.2447cef013e3c1b82892878.html

You can also send an e-mail to us and we will reply as soon as we can.

Kind regards

Kristina

Desdichado62

Just for clarification. The Stockholm Card is the one that offers free transport with the Stockholm Public Transport System and free access to many museums in Stockholm. It is issued by Stockholm Visitors Board.

There is also a 24 hour card that is issued by the Stockholm Public Transport System (no museum entrance included). That card will not be cancelled.

Edited by Nynas Tourist

Hello,

My name is Kristina and I´m working at Nynäshamn´s Tourist Information Office.

If you have any questions about arriving by cruise ship to Nynäshamn, please have a look at Nynäshamn´s Tourist Information Office official website: www.visitnynashamn.se/cruise

The FAQ site is very useful: http://www.visitnynashamn.se/en/home...b82892878.html

You can also send an e-mail to us and we will reply as soon as we can.

Kind regards

Kristina

We will be on the Viking Star docked at S160 on Saturday, July 25. (Doesn't leave until Sunday at 2 p.m.)

We'd like to make reservations for the Icebar that evening at 8:15 p.m. What would be the best way for 4 of us to get there and back?

Also, how would you recommend we get from the Radisson Blu Waterfront to S160 with our luggage on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks so very much!

From S160 you could walk (about 2.6km): https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Fotografiska,+Stadsg%C3%A5rdshamnen+22,+116+45+Stockholm,+Sverige/Vasaplan+4,+111+20+Stockholm/@59.3230862,18.0673047,2072m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77f93374a385:0xc045ff16b9bceaa4!2m2!1d18.08591!2d59.317842!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d60e5c4c319:0x1a4bbe94188be077!2m2!1d18.056837!2d59.3322291!3e2

Other options is taxi all the way or walk to Slussen (distance about 800m) and either bus (#53 towards Roslagstull) or subway from there to Centralstation from where there is a short walk to the icebar.

You could also go up/down the stairs, called Söderbergs trapport next to Fotografiska and walk to Thärhovsplan and go with said bus #53

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/S%C3%B6derbergs+trappor,+116+28+Stockholm/Tj%C3%A4rhovsplan/@59.3171539,18.0806441,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77f94efcf837:0xdc04b173e5ab2cfa!2m2!1d18.0828541!2d59.3178544!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f77f9114f347f:0xa31cfb524b245195!2m2!1d18.083318!2d59.316448!3e2

Bus/subway station map for Slussen.

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta/vinter/S%C3%B6dermalmstorg_term.pdf

If you have luggage taxi would be preferable since there is no bus stop at S160.

Use travelplanner linked in first post to find bus/Subway connections. From Slussen to Vasaplan 4 for icebar

Edited by Desdichado62

During May 23-24, Gumball 3000 will start in Stockholm, I don't know where they will be but likely around Skeppsbron and the Royal Palace.

http://www.gumball3000.com/#/articles/the-start-line-may-23rd-stockholm

This might mean disruptions for buses/taxis during those days although nothing official have been listed yet.

The rally will the move on to Oslo (May 24-25th) , Copenhagen (May 25-26th) and Amsterdam (26th-27th) from which where they will fly to USA.

http://www.gumball3000.com/rally/#/home

Edited by Desdichado62

Other than Google Maps (I won't have a computer with me and the data plan for my smartphone is ridiculously expensive for Europe) - does anyone know of a site or place from which to get a detailed map of Gamla Stan?

Thanks

You can download Swedish maps in pdf format here.

http://www.stadskartan.se/stockholm/?&lng=en#&panel1-2

Map 1 is Royal Stockholm and Map 4 is Shopping, Entertainment and Gamla Stan. They are over to the right side of the page. I am sure there must be others out there as well.

Amazing information, thank you so much for taking the time. It must have taken you ages. I have bookmarked this page so I can come back to it and begin planning when we book our cruise. I think this page will allow me to plan everything in Stockholm!

One question, is the Ice Bar open year round or is it only open in winter months?