Stockholm Advice thread 2015

Me again. :)

I tried to book tickets online for the ABBA Museum for May 18th at noon, but the site kept declining my CC even though Bank Of America has no record of them trying to charge anything. Looks like my wife and I will have to risk walking in to buy tickets.

I saw a reference a few posts up to HOHO. I assume that's the usual tourist "Hop On Hop Off" bus circuit? RCCL doesn't seem to sell that through their excursions, which is weird because they usually do (especially in the Caribbean). Does anyone know what that costs and where you can book it, and where it stops? If it goes to Vasa it looks like you can walk from Vasa to ABBA in about 15 minutes (looks like it's only half a mile away), and I assume the HOHO also goes to the Royal Palace and Armory and Gamla Stan. Depending on the price it seems easier than navigating the sea of public transportation...

There are several HoHo companies, such as Strömma and Red Sightseeing. See there websites (links in first post) for routes.

The thing is though that they not necessarily go direct from the places you want to see. So public transport will probably be faster.

Both offers bus HoHo and boat HoHo. Both costs around 26-30Euros something.

As for the Icebar, I would encourage you to send them a message; http://www.icebarstockholm.se/find-uscontact/

Or you can book by telephone; at +46850563520 (probably quit expensive call though).

Edited by Desdichado62

Our ship, Regal Princesss, arrives Saturday, August 29. We will tender to Nynäshamn. When we get off, which way do we go to get to the train station? Are there signs? What will they say?

I looked at the map you provided, but couldn't find the train station....

Sorry

Sue

Our ship, Regal Princesss, arrives Saturday, August 29. We will tender to Nynäshamn. When we get off, which way do we go to get to the train station? Are there signs? What will they say?

Sorry

Sue

Here is the location of the station but I don't know where you will be dropped off and I don't know if there are any signs or markings.

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Nyn%C3%A4shamn+station/@58.9044876,17.956216,17z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x465f5e9d044dee71:0x80ba3200174b72ca

Sorry

Sue

Walk from tender point to railway station takes approx 15 mins.

From Tender point, follow blue line to train station. 1 day travel pass for the train journey and travel within STOCKHOLM costs 122SEK (70 SEK for under 20/over 65)

Ticket kiosks will open early and tickets can be purchased with credit cards.

THERE IS NO 24 HR STOCKHOLM CARD THIS YEAR as they haven't been able to strike an acceptable deal with providers (per Nynasham Information Office) so ignore posts with this suggestion.

The train ride takes about 1hr 6 mins minutes and gets you to the central station in Stockholm from where you can walk, tram, bus, or boat to any place you want to see in the city. Getting back to the ship is the same in reverse.

How often do the trains run between Nynäshamn and Stockholm Central Station?Twice per hour.

From Nynäshamn: 20 and 50 minutes past every hour.

From Stockholm: 4 and 34 minutes past every hour

NB: might be worth checking with the Nynasham information office if the Nynasham to Stockholm HOHO bus runs on that day (as it does not every day) as an alternative means of transport.

http://www.visitnynashamn.se/en/home/cruise/faq.4.2447cef013e3c1b82892878.html

We have already bought our 24hr Stockholm card for our cruise in June and have contacted the office where they told us that our card will still work as it is still being sold on their website.

I checked with them as well and the 24 hr card is being sold through 4/29 and will be good for use though the end of 2015. So if you want one, get it by tomorrow!

How do I figure out how to walk FROM Londonviadukton Bus terminal TO Stadsgarden 167?

Thanks.

Don't worry, you will see the ship from the bus stop, it isn't far just a couple of hundred meters.

This is the bus stop to the right, your ship will berth forward of the red cruiseferry.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.315195,18.09532,3a,50.4y,106.93h,86.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svFRAkrmpEFb06E1QdpHK6w!2e0

Use the crosswalk at the crossroad just before the bus stop to get across the road.

The follow the signs for Finland Tegelvikshamnen.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.315514,18.095298,3a,43.8y,355.57h,83.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMHVoug7HRcdkg9s6Aftolg!2e0

Edited by Desdichado62

Don't worry, you will see the ship from the bus stop, it isn't far just a couple of hundred meters.

This is the bus stop to the right, your ship will berth forward of the red cruiseferry.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.315195,18.09532,3a,50.4y,106.93h,86.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svFRAkrmpEFb06E1QdpHK6w!2e0

Use the crosswalk at the crossroad just before the bus stop to get across the road.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.315514,18.095298,3a,43.8y,355.57h,83.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMHVoug7HRcdkg9s6Aftolg!2e0

All of your advice in this thread has been amazingly helpful! We are so excited for our day in Stockholm! Thank you for taking the time to help all of us.

I read on earlier posts that if you joined the "IKEA Family" there was a code you could use to get a discount on the Stockholm Card. You could purchase a 3 day card for the price of 2. I have emailed IKEA and the Stockholm Tourist Board to ask but does anyone on CC know if this is still available for 2015? Or was this just a bad joke?

I read on earlier posts that if you joined the "IKEA Family" there was a code you could use to get a discount on the Stockholm Card. You could purchase a 3 day card for the price of 2. I have emailed IKEA and the Stockholm Tourist Board to ask but does anyone on CC know if this is still available for 2015? Or was this just a bad joke?

I think it does still work by typing 'IKEA' into the promo code box but you can also save on postage in the payment screen by putting in some business details too. The code worked a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to find a discount for my 1 day one.

I checked with them as well and the 24 hr card is being sold through 4/29 and will be good for use though the end of 2015. So if you want one, get it by tomorrow!

I just checked the website and the 1 day option is gone. Their email response to me said "available through the 29th of April" but I guess that meant up to the 29th. So if you didn't get one you're out of luck.

All of your information is amazing! Thanks for your on site help.

My questions are? My ship will be docked at Stradsgarden on June 3 from 8am til 4. Am I being realistic to take the Hoho bus and tour stadshuset first and then go to Hotorgshallen for lunch and hoping to stop by Gamla Stan for "Fika" and back to ship? By 3pm? Also does hoho even stop near concert hall?

All of your information is amazing! Thanks for your on site help.

My questions are? My ship will be docked at Stradsgarden on June 3 from 8am til 4. Am I being realistic to take the Hoho bus and

tour stadshuset first and then go to Hotorgshallen for lunch and hoping to stop by Gamla Stan for "Fika" and back to ship? By 3pm? Also does hoho even stop near concert hall?

Timewise you should be ok. However using the HoHo buses as a transport probably won't work that well.

Both of them will stop at the places you want to visit but not by far in the right order.

Use the journey planner linked in first post to find connections from Londonviadukten to Stadshuset.

All buses that stops at Londonviadukten also stops at Slussen where you should change to bus #3.

Then to Hötorgshallen+the concert hall it would be fairly easy to walk, it is just over a km in distance and probably will get you there just as quick as going by bus.

Then walk again to Gamla Stan. Not far just a little over 1km. Just as quick as the bus or subway.

We want to take the train in Nynashamn to either the Vasa Museum or The Royal Palace first thing when we arrive. One thread I read talked about 3,000-plus people rushing off the ship and getting on the train.

does anyone have any experience as to how crowded or possibly full the train will be? We arrive on Saturday, August 29. Any suggestions?

Also, is the Stockholm Central stop on the island where Gamla Stan, City Hall and the Royal Palace are?

thank you!

We want to take the train in Nynashamn to either the Vasa Museum or The Royal Palace first thing when we arrive. One thread I read talked about 3,000-plus people rushing off the ship and getting on the train.

does anyone have any experience as to how crowded or possibly full the train will be? We arrive on Saturday, August 29. Any suggestions?

Also, is the Stockholm Central stop on the island where Gamla Stan, City Hall and the Royal Palace are?

thank you!

With that route in mind, I would go out of the central station 'pendeltag' station, to the left towards Kunsholmen and then down to 'Norra Mallarstrand and the 'Stadshuset' then walk from there over to the Royal Palace, past the Parliament and then visit Gamla Stan.

Here you can either take the 'Djurgardfarjen' boat from Slussen over to Skansen and on to Vasa. Then you can walk past Nordiska Museet and then get a bus or taxi back to the central station.

Hello Desdichado:

The Arlanda Express website is quoting special prices: 2 for 300; 3 for 400 and 4 for SEK 500 (single journey, Thurs to Sunday). The website states that tickets can be purchased in the ticket vending machines (no need to pre-book online). It seems so reasonable: I wanted to confirm if the deal would likely still be available in July/2015 (Do they run these discount promos every summer??).

Four of us are traveling together so I would assume that we would not be able to fit 4 large pieces of luggage in a regular taxi...probably resulting in a more costly ride in a larger taxi, but probably not as expensive as 4 non-discounted Arlanda Express fares.

Don't really want to pre-book online in case plans change, but also don't want to miss the deal....

Thanks for all your help....very appreciated!

We're taking the train from Nynashamn to the Stockholm Central station. Is there a tourist office near there?

Also, which bus or other transportation do we take from this station to the Vasa museum? Then, from Vasa to Gamla Stan?

From Gamla Stan, where would we go to take a short water tour and see a little of the islands?

thank you

There is private operated tourist info center located in the Central station, the main visitors center is located in Kulturhuset at Sergelstorg.

Stockholm Visitors center at Sergels torg: https://www.google.se/maps/@59.332483,18.063777,3a,27.5y,149.96h,90.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slU9yQHZPbdC2DxkVLDZHNg!2e0

For bus transport see first post.

For such detailed information, further confirms my high opinion of CruiseCritic. Your advice is appreciated for our situation: we were offered free lodging in Paris for 3 weeks, yay, Stockholm was not on our radar until we found great flights on Norwegian to/from ARN. We depart Paris 4 Aug, depart ARN for California on 7 August at 13:00. We must see the Vasa museum and the archipelagos! My question is, best lodging location for these activities and airport transport, our schedule more flexible because we aren't on a cruise this time? Thanks in advance.

For such detailed information, further confirms my high opinion of CruiseCritic. Your advice is appreciated for our situation: we were offered free lodging in Paris for 3 weeks, yay, Stockholm was not on our radar until we found great flights on Norwegian to/from ARN. We depart Paris 4 Aug, depart ARN for California on 7 August at 13:00. We must see the Vasa museum and the archipelagos! My question is, best lodging location for these activities and airport transport, our schedule more flexible because we aren't on a cruise this time? Thanks in advance.

You have a couple of recommendations linked in the first post, but obviously there are more hotels so you could always look at hotel booking sites and check the location on Google maps.

Most of the should be fairly close to Centralstation and the archipelago passengers boats.

Vasa is a little further away but is easily reached by public transport.

Important info regarding the Royal Palace.

As I mentioned in the first post, there is a royal wedding taking place at the Royal Palace.

This means that parts of the palace will be closed for the first half of June and the entire palace will be closed on the day of the wedding.

Here is the parts that will be closed and when they will be closed:

• 1–3 June The Royal Apartments closed.
  • 4–6 June The State and Guest Apartments are closed. The Bernadotte Apartments partially closed.
  • 7–12 June The State, Guest and Bernadotte Apartments closed.
  • 13 June The Royal Palace is closed.
  • 14–15 June The State, Guest and Bernadotte Apartments closed.
  • 16 June The State and Guest Apartments are closed. The Bernadotte Apartments partially closed

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/visittheroyalpalaces/theroyalpalace/thepalace/visitus/openinghoursentrancefeeguidedtours/closingdates.4.70e7de59130bc8da54e800014307.html

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/visittheroyalpalaces/theroyalpalace/thepalace.4.396160511584257f2180003755.html