Car Rental Galveston

basor

I've been wondering what we will do. We could have our hotel near Hobby take us back to the airport & we could pay for a Carnival transfer or a limo service for $160 for the 2 of us round trip on their schedule not mine. I like the idea of having a rental car but leaving it parked at the port while I'm paying a daily fee doesn't make much sense either. Getting a rental for 1 day from Avis and then getting their service dropping us at the cruise port for $50 makes more sense. Then we can take a one-way transfer or limi to Houston hobby post cruise when we aren't rushed. Our flight doesn't leave until after 1.

• 2 months later...

We have the same dilemma as many others here. We are taking our sons on a RCCL cruise Thanksgiving week (11/22/15). We have reserved a minivan through Budget in Texas City for after the cruise, but were told by both LaShonda and Barbara at Avis and Budget (we called both companies and they are the same counter) they do not offer shuttle service from the pier. Maybe they did in the past, but they no longer have that option.

There are six of us and we are trying to get all of us to the rental car to save time. Is there a way to reserve a taxi big enough for us all? Is there a shuttle service of any kind we can book? Any help would be appreciated.

:confused:

FYI - someone on another thread had told me about a shuttle option that is VERY reasonable compared to the rest. You might look into it. It is $35 round trip per adult from Houston hobby airport to the Carnival terminal. Galvestonexpress dot com. The guys name is Keith and really nice to work with. I have a group of 7 of us and we are staying at a hotel near hobby airport and he is picking us up there instead of the airport to simplify this.

• 6 months later...

I'm renting a car at HOU and dropping at Budget in Texas City and then returning and renting car there and dropping at airport.

Any update on costs of Budget taking me to cruise port or alternatives?

I did contact Galveston Express and Pink Taxi; neither will work.

I also wonder if they will take whole party and luggage for the same price as one person?

Thank you.

I wish it was easier to get to this port!

I'm renting a car at HOU and dropping at Budget in Texas City and then returning and renting car there and dropping at airport.

I also wonder if they will take whole party and luggage for the same price as one person?

Thank you.

When I checked with Avis in Texas City, the taxi was around $50 to/from the port.

Thank you.

When I did the same, avis/budget brought us to and from the port for $50. It was a flat rate for the whole party and luggage.

When I did the same, avis/budget brought us to and from the port for $50. It was a flat rate for the whole party and luggage.

Was that a taxi or the Avis shuttle? I had read that Avis no longer provided the shuittle service.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked a car from Enterprise at IAH to be dropped it off in Galveston on the day of the cruise. There was no hassle, a $100 drop fee, but that seemed worth it in light of the other options. This was, by far, the cheapest option as well. I checked the cost of renting from the other Enterprise outlet near IAH and the price was a couple hundred dollars more. I was really surprised that the airport was cheaper and that the drop fee was what it was. The cruise is in August, so maybe because I booked ahead, but really not an issue and we get to spend a few days enjoying Galveston before boarding.

Edited by gmaccoll

I just booked a car from Enterprise at IAH to be dropped it off in Galveston on the day of the cruise. There was no hassle, a $100 drop fee, but that seemed worth it in light of the other options. This was, by far, the cheapest option as well. I checked the cost of renting from the other Enterprise outlet near IAH and the price was a couple hundred dollars more. I was really surprised that the airport was cheaper and that the drop fee was what it was. The cruise is in August, so maybe because I booked ahead, but really not an issue and we get to spend a few days enjoying Galveston before boarding.

Good to hear they are accepting one-way rentals. What day of the week will you be dropping the car?

We're leaving on a Sunday and I'm dropping it at 10 am.

Thank-you, that's great news. For quite some time Enterprise was not open on Sunday, and then was not accepting one-way rentals. This helps the fly-in cruiser immensely.

Thank-you, that's great news. For quite some time Enterprise was not open on Sunday, and then was not accepting one-way rentals. This helps the fly-in cruiser immensely.

Enterprise has been open on Sunday, with limited hours, since last year.

They finally realized they were missing out on a lot of business!

We found that it was just as cheap to rent a car at the Hobby airport; drive to Galveston and spend the night at our hotel; drive to the port and park the car there for the week; drive back to Hobby at the end of the cruise. Even with the week long parking fee, it was the same price as a car service, and we had all the control.

Booked through Hotwire.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

This is what we are doing as well in July. Where did you park may I ask? We are going on Liberty of the Seas RCCL Terminal 2 I believe.

Thanks!

Steph

Where is the Enterprise office in Galveston? Everything I find is Texas City which is 20or so miles from the ship??? Thanks!

Thanks for the web address .... unfortunately, it is a better deal to rent a car thru Costco when we arrive on 12/4 in the early am (red eye), drive to Galveston, pay to park at port, pick up car on the 11th, spend the day sight seeing and return it at IAH before our flight ..... Guess that's what we will do!

Thanks for the web address .... unfortunately, it is a better deal to rent a car thru Costco when we arrive on 12/4 in the early am (red eye), drive to Galveston, pay to park at port, pick up car on the 11th, spend the day sight seeing and return it at IAH before our flight ..... Guess that's what we will do!

That's what I have read more than once. The Enterprise one-way price is so high that it's less expensive to keep the rental in the parking lot for a week.

We are finding that this is the cheapest option for us in September too.

• 4 months later...

Just a little car rental info.... I called Enterprise in Galveston...

Enterprise, IAH to Galveston...

Very doable. $100 drop off fee applies. Enterprise DOES NOT have a shuttle from Galveston location to cruise terminal. DOES NOT. Chris at Enterprise Galveston indicated the SOP was to drop off rental then Enterprise would call you a taxi to cruise terminal.

Just a little car rental info.... I called Enterprise in Galveston...

Enterprise, IAH to Galveston...

Very doable. $100 drop off fee applies. Enterprise DOES NOT have a shuttle from Galveston location to cruise terminal. DOES NOT. Chris at Enterprise Galveston indicated the SOP was to drop off rental then Enterprise would call you a taxi to cruise terminal.

Thanks for the update.

We cruise next July and after researching all options, will rent a car for the week, visit the NASA Space Center the day before our cruise, then park at one of the Lots nearby. Most shuttles I checked with wanted $170 each way and this way we have a car to travel around with. Despite the fact it will be parked most of the time.

• 4 months later...

We're sailing RC Liberty April 2017. Here are the options I've come up with:

- Enterprise 1-way IAH to Galveston

$200 each way ($400 total)

- IAH to Texas City

$80 each way + taxi to port

- Houston (not IAH) to Texas City

$40 each way + taxi to port

need to take a taxi from the airport to the rental agency

- 8 day car rental from IAH

$400 + Park'n'cruise fee

- 8 day car rental from Houston (not IAH)

$200 + Park'n'cruise fee

need to take a taxi from the airport to the rental agency

Some thoughts:

The Enterprise option is not worth it.

Renting from IAH causes a 2x premium.

For the 8-day rentals, there might be a hotel in Galveston that offers free Park'n'Cruise.

Taxi fees (and hassle) can be saved by having Dad drop family/luggage off and return the car by himself.

Question is, how hard is it to transit to a non-airport rental office in Houston? That would be the most economical option.

• 1 month later...

Make sure you keep checking the car rental rates!!!

We were on the 2/12/17 sailing of the Breeze. We flew into IAH two days before the cruise and flew back out the day following the cruise so we pretty much needed a rental car.

I would check the rates multiple times a day and finally ended up with a car from Alamo (booked through Costco) for $242 for the nine day rental. This was actually a Premium car which for some reason was cheaper than any other car. We prepaid for parking at the pier for about $60 so our entire cost was about $300.

It all worked very well and was very convenient. Having our own transportation allowed us to go to Houston Space Center, Kemah Boardwalk, the Off Shore Oil Rig Museum, catch a Mardi Gras parade, Dolphin Harbor tour, Seawolf Park and visit the Seawall.

Our gas bill was $15.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums