Malt Shop/Flower Power Cruise Questions

Peggy Tuten

I got notice yesterday of a "Flower Power" cruise next February on the Celebrity Constellation. It sound like a fun thing to do with some of my high school classmates - it's our 45th reunion next year. It's a 5 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and a Veranda cabin would be $1899 pp. I thought that this is kind of a high price and I checked similar itineraries on the same ship. If I left 2 weeks later, without the Sixties music bands, the cost would be just $749 pp. So, for a 5 day cruise, I'd be paying $1120 more. Given the 2034 passengers that the Constellation can carry, that's over 2.2 million for producers of this cruise - seems pretty high. Most of these bands are touring together this summer - I could see them for less than $ 100.

For those of you that have been on Malt Shop cruises - do you think it's worth paying more than double the cost of a normal cruise? Besides the music and meet and greet, what else do you get? There are several themed parties, but am I right in assuming that drinks are extra?

• 3 months later...

I am totally with you Peggy Tuten and "on the fence" about this also. Good figuring on your part too! I just called them at 1-844-700-3569 and they offered me $100.00 off each ticket (there are two of us) BUT told me that $250.00 EACH is additionally going to be added on for "gratuities and taxes." So total for the $1399.00 room would be $1649.00-well, minus the $100.00 each offer so that would make it $1549.00 each person. PLUS your ship doesn't LEAVE the loading dock until 4pm and THAT counts as one of the 5 days! So you have an "adjustment evening" there to "settle in" but there goes one day and on the FIFTH day (they say its 5 days) you have to be off the ship by 7am!!! Then I was told that the bands will be playing at different times and sometimes the SAME times in different locations all over the ship. Wahhh! This sounds like a crunch job in just 3 days really and what if you want to see All the bands playing? Yet they are on many different levels all across different locations on the ship at the same time!? Too much stress! I wanna go, I really do: But none of this sounds that fair to people yearning for the memories of those Good (oh how I hate to say it: ol' days). I am sad but I will probably pass on this and I am so disappointed about that. The more expensive rooms are sold out they said though so some some people with money are willing to put up with this really short period of time cruise. But if you really add up to what you pay for to what you REALLY get: it doesn't come out fair. Unless you are emotionally invested in those days (they were the BEST) but mostly, I just can't get into the bands playing at the same time on different sections/areas of the ship. You will miss alot that way! What are we gonna do: RUN to the 9th floor for 20 minutes then RUN to the 2nd Floor for 15 minutes then RUN to the 11th floor for the rest of the allotted time for the band to play? I want to see them all!!! Not fair! Not! Not! Not! So I am gonna pass ;; . So sure! The bands will all be there but NOT for a balanced itinerary so we all can be included to enjoy them. We have to chose which ones to go see and when! I think this may be just a money-makin' opportunistic machine for those on top of this. Sorry, but not at my expense! This girl will be leaving her patchouli oil and bell bottoms packed in her cedar chest. Dang it!!! Wahhh! What ever happened to Old fashioned and Caring Common Sense and the Respect of getting your Moneys Worth so everybody can be happy? Did that go out with the 60's too? I guess so. And then the horror of the possibility: WHAT if you go and all this all turned out to be really Hokey after all with the majority of the musicians being imitators???? Arrgggh!!!

Edited by Pachouli Girl
Corrections

We did the MSMC last year

the music was great & the performers were good

Most of the time you see the main show at the time you get assigned (2 shows) but some of the smaller venues may start just before or just after the main show some do not start until 10:30 pm for the smaller performers

You can get up close & personal with most of the performers

If you do not see the value in the performers then it may not be for you

We booked again for this yr on the MSMC

You do have a couple of parties where drinks are included (if that is important to you)

They have sock hops, prom night, costume party etc..

Check the photos on their website

WE enjoyed the cruise

PLUS your ship doesn't LEAVE the loading dock until 4pm and THAT counts as one of the 5 days! So you have an "adjustment evening" there to "settle in" but there goes one day and on the FIFTH day (they say its 5 days) you have to be off the ship by 7am!!!

Have you been on a cruise before ??

Most ships do not leave port until 4 pm or later

The ship may dock at 7 am but you can get off up to 9am

No different than any other cruise in that respect :D

Yes, music charter cruises are a lot more expensive.

If you see a concert with 3 bands for $100, you see one show with thousands of other fans. Perhaps you have a lawn seat where you can really only see them on the giant screens.

One a music cruise, you're with less than 2000 fans (because space is allocated to the organizers and musicians). Everyone can gather on the pool deck for a sailaway show.

And then you're one vacation with the bands for the length of the cruise. I've had dinner with one of my favorite bands. Played beer pong with another. Had casual conversations with them. Rocked out next to them in the crowd at other shows.

It's a 100% completely difference experience.

I kind of quit partway through, but here's a partial review of my experience on The Rock Boat in 2014 as an example of what it's like:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2006446

We just booked our first theme cruise..Flower Power 2016. Yes, it's expensive, but after many Caribbean cruises which were nice, but not memorable, we decided this cruise would be unforgettable.

pouchoull...how did you get the $100 off? Did you have a coupon?

If you are a fan of the music of that era, this is the best value on the high seas...you are immersed 24/7 in the music and the spirit...you are cruising with an entire ship of like minded music souls....an entirely unique experience

Folks who take these full charter music cruises never go back taking a normal "boring" regular cruise

We were on the Malt Shop Memories Cruise last year and it was one of the best cruises we've ever been on. Yes, it's more expensive but you don't think all those performers are on the ship for free, do you? They get paid for performing and wow, did they perform! There were pool jam sessions during the day and regular theater performances each night. Plus, you got to mix and mingle with the performers all week. Q&A's and meet and greets were every day so it's not like you only see them in concert. It was a fabulous week. I got my photo taken with Brenda Lee who was greeting people as we came in from muster drill. Then I got my photo taken with Martha Reeves (of the Vandellas) on the dock in Cozumel. And Herman (Peter Noone) was all over the ship everyday talking with people and having their photos taken with him. I got to talk to Dion (another photo) and the Vogues (more photos!) And then, the grand finale the last night of the cruise, the Beach Boys were on stage on the ship, who were then joined Dean of Jan and Dean and Dion....oh my, the photo of a lifetime! It was an awesome experience and worth every penny!!!!!! And yes, we did take our bellbottoms, go go boots and poodle skirts and loved being teenagers again.

Everyone on the cruise got souvenirs all week....a red T shirt, backpacks, sippy cups, a memento autograph book, picture frames, tons of stuff. Spend the money and go!

We were on the Malt Shop Memories Cruise last year and it was one of the best cruises we've ever been on. Yes, it's more expensive but you don't think all those performers are on the ship for free, do you? They get paid for performing and wow, did they perform! There were pool jam sessions during the day and regular theater performances each night. Plus, you got to mix and mingle with the performers all week. Q&A's and meet and greets were every day so it's not like you only see them in concert. It was a fabulous week. I got my photo taken with Brenda Lee who was greeting people as we came in from muster drill. Then I got my photo taken with Martha Reeves (of the Vandellas) on the dock in Cozumel. And Herman (Peter Noone) was all over the ship everyday talking with people and having their photos taken with him. I got to talk to Dion (another photo) and the Vogues (more photos!) And then, the grand finale the last night of the cruise, the Beach Boys were on stage on the ship, who were then joined Dean of Jan and Dean and Dion....oh my, the photo of a lifetime! It was an awesome experience and worth every penny!!!!!! And yes, we did take our bellbottoms, go go boots and poodle skirts and loved being teenagers again.

Everyone on the cruise got souvenirs all week....a red T shirt, backpacks, sippy cups, a memento autograph book, picture frames, tons of stuff. Spend the money and go!

Sounds fantastic...and we are booked to go. But, honestly, I wish we had the lineup that you had on your cruise. I would really love to have Brenda Lee, Dion, Herman's Hermits and The Beach Boys on this upcoming cruise.

I'm sure we'll have a great time...and the entertainment will be fabulous...but this lineup does not have the same wow factor that yours did.

Sounds fantastic...and we are booked to go. But, honestly, I wish we had the lineup that you had on your cruise. I would really love to have Brenda Lee, Dion, Herman's Hermits and The Beach Boys on this upcoming cruise.

I'm sure we'll have a great time...and the entertainment will be fabulous...but this lineup does not have the same wow factor that yours did.

I'm in total agreement with you about this year's lineup....which is why we're not going. Maybe 2016 will be better. Last year was just awesome.

The line up reflects a nice cross section of the popular artists of that era...IMHO what makes it a WOW factor is the synergy between the artists & the guests...there is a strong spirit of unity as everyone sings the hits along with the artists.....it really is a cruise experience of one's musical lifetime...because we are all getting up in years, we value more the close interaction with our favorite artists of that era because we never know how long any of us will be on this earth

It is a different line up but I still think they are going to have some WOW factor

Truthfully Martha should retire ..she was OK but ....

I am looking forward to the cruise

Lyn

We've just decided to book the Flower Power cruise in 2016. They offered us $300 off since we are returning guests (we did the Malt Shop Memories Cruise last year and the same company sponsors both. Plus, as returning guests, we'll get reserved seats in the theater for the performances (last year, it was a free for all for the remaining nonreserved seats and we ended up in the upper balcony a few times because we needed 4 seats together). DH loves the lineup next year with Peter Noone, the Rascals, Grass Roots, Mark Lindsay, Gary Puckett....too good to pass up. We had such a blast. I never thought I'd need my white gogo boots again but here goes......:D

just a few quick notes: When I booked the Flower Power cruise for 2016, I was told that there would be no reserved seats for the concerts each night and that it would be first come, first served. It was a somewhat of a hassle finding non reserved seats last year so this is a plus, even tho we are returning guests. Every one gets their own crack at getting a good seat (although there were really no 'bad' seats in the ships theater).

for Pachouli Girl:

the bands and artists DO NOT play or have meet & greets at the same time during the day. There were very few overlapping appearances during the week on the Malt Shop Memories Cruise. There were some 'meet & greets' that were within a few minutes of one ending and another starting but very seldom were there 2 or more artists scheduled at the same time for either a Q&A, meet & greet or performing. And all the performers were the originals - except for the group of Elvis impersonators of course. I would have been shocked myself if Elvis showed up, LOL! The cruise was definitely worth it. There was nothing I can think of that was negative.

The Malt Shop cruise this year has a mostly male performer lineup (Neil Sedaka, Frankie, etc) so we're passing on that and opted for more bands on the Flower Power cruise (Grass Roots, BloodSweatTears, Herman, Mickey Dolenz, the Guess Who, Mark Lindsay, Gary Pucket Union Gap, et al......couldn't resist!) Worth every penny! The cruise is only 50% sold out so there's still space.

for Peggy Tuten:

There were a couple of get togethers that included drinks as well. The artists mingled with the passengers all week so you definitely get your money's worth. You can't compare these charter cruises to a 'regular' cruise because of course, the artists do not perform for free and it costs a bundle to charter a ship. It's not just a money making proposition for the sponsors. So you need to decide if it's important enough to mingle with great artists of the past and relive by gone times or pass it up and go on a regularly scheduled cruise to save the money. Jus' sayin'.....

Edited by Diver2014

just a few quick notes: When I booked the Flower Power cruise for 2016, I was told that there would be no reserved seats for the concerts each night and that it would be first come, first served. It was a somewhat of a hassle finding non reserved seats last year so this is a plus, even tho we are returning guests. Every one gets their own crack at getting a good seat (although there were really no 'bad' seats in the ships theater).

strange we had open seating for the 1st show plenty of seats in the main floor

Maybe the 2nd show was more crowded

We have 2nd show open seating this yr so will see the difference, though they said they do split the total passenger numbers between 1st & 2nd shows

Think of it in these terms...you are getting the best of 2 cruise experiences in one week...plus lagniappe...without the negative hassles...during port days it's a regular cruise...every night and at full days at sea, it's a small intimate music gathering of 2000 of your soon to be closes new friends with all of your favorite alltime artists playing the music and singing along with (think attending those televised PBS music of your favorite era specials during their pledge drives) you grew up listening to and love...the lagniappe is all the usual challenges you see posted on the various threads on hese boards don't exist on the music charters...and if you stop to think about it...there really is no "bad" seat in the main showroom of the incredibly beautiful Celebrity ship...because you are never in your cabin you can spend less on your cabin category (you truly do just sleep, shower and change clothes)

Howver, IMHO, if you are a true fan of that era of music and of cruising...then the question never comes up about the value for $$$$ spent...the question becomes can I do the charter every year or every other year

Like the famous Visa commercial...Priceless

strange we had open seating for the 1st show plenty of seats in the main floor

Maybe the 2nd show was more crowded

We have 2nd show open seating this yr so will see the difference, though they said they do split the total passenger numbers between 1st & 2nd shows

We had early dinner and 2nd seating show because we're early eaters and yes, 2nd show was much more 'crowded' (but not really) than the 1st show.

Since there were 4 of us, we ended up in the balcony each night for the shows because most of the main floor seats were reserved for previous cruise guests but it was no big deal. Just being in the theater watching the performers was amazing. They did check the background color of your ship card to make sure you were in the correct show and did not let people from the 1st show in the 2nd and vice versa so it was fair to everyone. Still, it was a very nice, relaxed atmosphere every day and every night. After each show, there was a deck party from about 10 or 11pm till whenever. By the end of the week, we were pretty much kaput. The Flower Power cruise this year is Monday to Saturday so we may actually make it for the after show parties before we poop out. :D And yes, the entire experience was priceless.....money can't buy the fabulous memories of rubbing shoulders with so many great entertainers and finding them ALL to be genuine, down to earth people who just happen to be famous and love to perform for their audiences.

We had early dinner and 2nd seating show because we're early eaters and yes, 2nd show was much more 'crowded' (but not really) than the 1st show.

Since there were 4 of us, we ended up in the balcony each night for the shows because most of the main floor seats were reserved for previous cruise guests but it was no big deal.

We went in on the left side of the main floor several rows at the back were not reserved as the week went on less people seemed to come to the show

I agree just being there was fantastic

Peter Noone put on a great show

Peter Noone put on a great show

We all agreed that Peter Noone probably was our favorite performer for the whole week - who knew? He put on a very entertaining show and still sounds fabulous. On the other hand, some people thought Martha & the Vandellas should hang it up but then she's never had a very musical voice. She sure was nice to me when we met her on the dock taking photos of the ship! Very nice lady. And Brenda Lee.....she really truly loves her fans and it shows.

Others thought Dion's show wasn't the best they'd ever seen but I didn't care, just seeing Dion, the legend, was enough for me. C'mon, the guy's not a

'teenager in love' anymore.....but he was really nice and I got to chat with him just before his Q&A session. Had my photo taken with him as well. Amazing how good those guys are at holding your camera while taking a selfie with you....guess they get lots of practice. :D

We all agreed that Peter Noone probably was our favorite performer for the whole week - who knew? He put on a very entertaining show and still sounds fabulous. On the other hand, some people thought Martha & the Vandellas should hang it up but then she's never had a very musical voice. She sure was nice to me when we met her on the dock taking photos of the ship! Very nice lady. And Brenda Lee.....she really truly loves her fans and it shows.

Others thought Dion's show wasn't the best they'd ever seen but I didn't care, just seeing Dion, the legend, was enough for me. C'mon, the guy's not a

'teenager in love' anymore.....but he was really nice and I got to chat with him just before his Q&A session. Had my photo taken with him as well. Amazing how good those guys are at holding your camera while taking a selfie with you....guess they get lots of practice. :D

I agree poor Martha just cannot hit those high notes anymore but she still did her best

I am hoping this year's line up will be just as good

I agree poor Martha just cannot hit those high notes anymore but she still did her best

I am hoping this year's line up will be just as good

Saw both Darlene Love and Jay and The Americans perform recently...still sound really great!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on our first flower power cruise in 2016 and are really looking forward to it! We have only cruised a couple of times, and there were always dress codes. Are there any for this cruise? We realize that we can wear retro clothing, but do they have any other requirements?

Thanks for any advice!

There might be a few theme nights in the dining rooms but I don't believe there is a formal night since it's only 5 nights. Last year on the MSMC cruise, we just wore what we would wear to a nice restaurant. Some people dressed up, most others, it was smart casual. Because there were so many activities going on all over the ship almost all the time, people didn't pay much attention to who was wearing what. Some ladies wore their poodle skirts all week long but since this will be a Flower Power cruise, you may see a lot of psychedelic clothes and leisure suits. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to wear jeans to dinner but some men did and some even wore their baseball caps which I think is totally inappropriate. So, whatever you are comfortable with. I'm digging out my psychedelic dress, white go go boots and peace symbol earrings and maybe some bell bottoms if I can find them.

Edited by Diver2014

• 3 weeks later...

Pachouli girl, I want to say you were funny in your posting, but I understand "everything" you said, which was true. You went to a lot of work to check out prices, times leaving/coming back, etc. to come up with your figures, etc.

Diver 2014 has really been filling me in which has really been helpful. I do agree, with me it would be who would be performing at that time. With ALL of these cruises that have been mentioned, there have been some that I would love to see, others, I really don't care about. So for me, it would be wheather I wanted to spend that much money to see a "few" of the entertainers or not. I'm just a few hours from Branson, Missouri, and we get quite a few "name" entertainers there also, which I have seen, for a much cheaper price. Lots of good memories with these too, so time/money will tell. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Signed up for this awesome cruise but was wondering, can you book shore tours just like a regular cruise or do you have to book them independently of the ship/cruise. Also on days we are in port, will they still be having activities and music while we are on shore, or is that reserved for the days or nights we are actually at sea.