Refurbished Royal Caribbean terminal in Galveston?

longhorn2004

It is true and feasibility studies have been done for the placement of a third terminal. No word yet for when or where the third terminal is to be placed but the Terminal 2 upgrades should be completed this year. If I remember correctly the intent is to have the work done prior to the Disney Wonder's arrival in November.

Terminal 2 as it sits today is too small to handle the traffic for the larger ships. Once completed it should be able to handle 5,000 passengers coming and going from the ship.

RCCL has only one ship currently in Galveston, the Navigator. It is scheduled for 45 Sunday departures this year with the Liberty of the Seas taking its place beginning Friday the 13th in November and then departing for 9 days and returning to fill the remaining Sundays for the rest of the year.

I do not yet know the schedule for 2016.

The improvements were part of the contract extension of time agreement with RCL.

and to bring Liberty of the Seas to Galveston.

Groundbreaking has occurred and there is some initial construction activity occurring on the grounds . Terminal is being refurished and greatly increased in size.

It will be completed by Liberty's arrival.

Carnival is berthing there now on Saturdays. Navigator on Sunday's.

There will be 5 ships in Galveston.

Rcl now

3 Carnival now

Disney soon

It will be interesting to see what RCL does next to compete with Carnival presence and their major commitment to Galveston.

Edited by ssb

The improvements were part of the contract extension of time agreement with RCL.

and to bring Liberty of the Seas to Galveston.

Groundbreaking has occurred and there is some initial construction activity occurring on the grounds . Terminal is being refurished and greatly increased in size.

It will be completed by Liberty's arrival.

Carnival is berthing there now on Saturdays. Navigator on Sunday's.

There will be 5 ships in Galveston.

Rcl now

3 Carnival now

Disney soon

It will be interesting to see what RCL does next to compete with Carnival presence and their major commitment to Galveston.

So Carnival uses Terminal 2 also?

I thought Disney was at Bayport?

RCL is going to have to step it up to compete with the Carnival's capacity with three ships.

Interesting that Bayport has Princess which is a Carnival company. Princess shares Carnival's piers elsewhere such as Cozumel, but not at Galveston. One would think Princess would want to be by Carnival in Galveston(save on costs) and RCL move up to Bayport.

At any rate, I will see the construction next month when I sail out on Navigator. Thank you for the replies.

I can't ever remember the difference in sizes of the terminals until I am actually there. I don't remember #2 seeming extremely small, but obvious from pictures that it's smaller than #1.

I would love to see RCL bring another ship for shorter cruises. Been on 3 carnival cruises...all short. And next month will make for my 3rd RCL all 7 days.

Carnival has always had a bigger presence in Galveston than Royal Caribbean. It's basically a Carnival port with Carnival ships at both docks sometimes. If I'm not mistaken, Carnival controls both terminals. That's why a Carnival ship is always at Terminal 1 when Royal & Carnival are both in port.

So Carnival uses Terminal 2 also?

I thought Disney was at Bayport?

RCL is going to have to step it up to compete with the Carnival's capacity with three ships.

Interesting that Bayport has Princess which is a Carnival company. Princess shares Carnival's piers elsewhere such as Cozumel, but not at Galveston. One would think Princess would want to be by Carnival in Galveston(save on costs) and RCL move up to Bayport.

At any rate, I will see the construction next month when I sail out on Navigator. Thank you for the replies.

Princess chose Bayport due to thousands of dollars in incentives paid to Princess. Galveston refused to pay to have Princess dock here with only a 6 month contract.

Carnival has always had a bigger presence in Galveston than Royal Caribbean. It's basically a Carnival port with Carnival ships at both docks sometimes. If I'm not mistaken, Carnival controls both terminals. That's why a Carnival ship is always at Terminal 1 when Royal & Carnival are both in port.

In the early 2000's both Carnival and RCL had two ships going out of Galveston. Not sure for how long though, at least a few years if I remember correctly.

Carnival doesn't control both terminals.

They have not been docking regularity at terminal 2 for a long time.

Carnival is not contributing financially either to the expansion or improvements to terminal #2. Except now in future fees for docking as needed.

There is also the probability soon of a third terminal in Galveston.

Openly being probable.

Also The contract of Galveston Port with RCL is high economically for RCL

and therefore provides for RCL options for a second and/or bigger ships and options for extended periods of years. That's why it will interesting to see how RCL will handle the competition.

As for as completion of terminal 2 ,

inially it was April then changed to in summer but for sure contractually by arrival of Liberty of the Seas RCL .

Edited by ssb

Carnival doesn't control both terminals.

They have not been docking regularity at terminal 2 for a long time.

Carnival is not contributing financially either to the expansion or improvements to terminal #2. Except now in future fees for docking as needed.

There is also the probability soon of a third terminal in Galveston.

Openly being probable.

Also The contract of Galveston Port with RCL is high economically for RCL

and therefore provides for RCL options for a second and/or bigger ships and options for extended periods of years. That's why it will interesting to see how RCL will handle the competition.

As for as completion of terminal 2 ,

inially it was April then changed to in summer but for sure contractually by arrival of Liberty of the Seas RCL .

This morning Freedom and Triump will be here, Carnival will be using both terminals.

This morning Freedom and Triump will be here, Carnival will be using both terminals.

To quote

"Carnival is not contributing financially either to the expansion or improvements to terminal #2. Except now in future fees for docking as needed. "

Thank you for the pics Daisy may, will be leaving from there next month. Having departed from Terminal 1 before, it will be interesting comparing it with terminal 2.

Hopefully it will be good for you!

Our experience in January was a very good one from two.

But until two is completed terminal one will always be better than two.

Also at times in past more immigration personnel have been assigned first in morning to terminal one and then moved to terminal two to finish . Hopefully Carnival and Rcl are being treated equally presently. This when two ships are in on same day.

Edited by ssb

Thank you for the pics Daisy may, will be leaving from there next month. Having departed from Terminal 1 before, it will be interesting comparing it with terminal 2.

You are more than welcome. Have a great time.

Sherry

We leave on the Triumph this Saturday and to my understanding she will be docked at terminal 2. We have never used terminal 2 before on all our trips out of Galveston. So we are curious where do we drop off our luggage. Will there be porters on the terminal 2 side taking luggage? I guess I have never paid attention to that terminal before and cant get a image in my mind of where the porters are or even how to get to the entrance. Do we go in the entrance to terminal 1 to get to 2 or does 2 have a separate entrance to drive thru. Thank you!

RCCL has only one ship currently in Galveston, the Navigator. It is scheduled for 45 Sunday departures this year with the Liberty of the Seas taking its place beginning Friday the 13th in November and then departing for 9 days and returning to fill the remaining Sundays for the rest of the year.

I do not yet know the schedule for 2016.

We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas in May 2016 so it must be sailing from Galveston starting in Nov.