Refurbished Royal Caribbean terminal in Galveston?

longhorn2004

The photo taken in drive thru lot (drop off pick up area) from just west and in front of old terminal , camera facing north.

The grain building would be on left , old terminal on right , mound is for floor of new extension to west of existing terminal I guess, and there is a black probably tanker ship in back ground at dock.

3 months till arrival.

Edited by ssb

Well now the drama continues , The port is saying

that terminal 2 will not be completed by November :eek:for arrival of Liberty of Seas . RcCL and Carnival are very upset. RCCL is demanding Port Of Galveston (which is scrambling) to use temporarily a large tent approach similarly to what the Port of Rome has .

Now how will tent in parking lot affect ingress egress especially when two ships are in?

We all saw it coming! :confused:

I am glad I canceled my Nov cruise on RCCL, at least it should be ready for my April cruise. Please keep us informed.

In spite of a tent at Rome port without any permanent terminal structure existing version our multiple debarkations were easy except for wait for ship sanitation one time. They were all on Voyager class ships.

Any additional space from large tents in Galveston will only be an improvement.

Edited by ssb

In spite of a tent at Rome port without any permanent terminal structure existing version our multiple debarkations were easy except for wait for ship sanitation one time. They were all on Voyager class ships.

Any additional space from large tents in Galveston will only be an improvement.

Same here, we used the port near Rome in 2012 and remember the large tent structure and it worked fine. It looked as though they had been planning to use it for a while since they brought in vending machines (one that even made fresh personal pizzas).

• 2 weeks later...

Which ever way to have a better embarkation I'm all for it.

I have been on RCCL cruise several times, most of the time were sailing from Port Canaveral and Ft Lauderdale. Twice from Galveston and both were nightmare.

Pack lots of patience when sailing from Galveston, it is not organized like other ports. On embarkation day it is a chaos. Crowds packed all around the terminal standing waiting to get in the door. There are NO lines. People come in from all directions trying to get in the door. At least RCCL should created lines using ropes.

Just pack a lots of patience on that day. After check-in and on board, you will deserve a drink or several drinks :D :D . I hope Galveston terminal will get better and more organized one day.

Edited by StrikeEagle

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any progress on construction at the RCI terminal, please? We were there in May and I saw nothing but a couple of piles of dirt. It is going to be a nightmare for LOS cruisers if the terminal is not larger by the time she arrives.

This is not just for RCCL. Until they get 3rd terminal built, they use it for when there are two Carnival ships on same day which happens every other week now

Hopefully it will be good for you!

Our experience in January was a very good one from two.

But until two is completed terminal one will always be better than two.

Also at times in past more immigration personnel have been assigned first in morning to terminal one and then moved to terminal two to finish . Hopefully Carnival and Rcl are being treated equally presently. This when two ships are in on same day.

Immigration personel is less due to Southwest flying internationally out of Hobby. Where do you think the officers came from.

In recent local Galveston Daily News article

Port of Galveston reports:

Temporary improvements at terminal #2 will be completed by Liberty arrival.

Permanent improvements at terminal #2 will be completed by March 2016.

Houston Chronicle article 09/01/2015

safe_image.php?d=AQAbozmbpdhoGSM9&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpop.h-cdn.co%2Fassets%2F15%2F36%2F1441120801-ship1.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1

The Texas Navy's Lost Steamship May Soon Be Unearthed

Expansion at the port of Galveston has run into a problem: How to build without destroying the remains of the 1830s Republic of Texas war vessel Zavala.

Thanks for the link. This is a fascinating discovery. However, I hope this doesn't cause a significant delay.

I appreciate your continuing efforts to keep us all updated!

• 2 weeks later...
Houston Chronicle article 09/01/2015

safe_image.php?d=AQAbozmbpdhoGSM9&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpop.h-cdn.co%2Fassets%2F15%2F36%2F1441120801-ship1.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1

The Texas Navy's Lost Steamship May Soon Be Unearthed

Expansion at the port of Galveston has run into a problem: How to build without destroying the remains of the 1830s Republic of Texas war vessel Zavala.

Wow, the Port of Galveston cannot catch a break.

So they found it, took some pictures and covered it back up 30 years ago..... so how is it not known before hand that it's there and they take it into account.

"It" was not there after all. The story was in the Houston paper several days ago, so I cannot remember the details. I do not remember what they found, but it was not the Zavala, so I am assuming construction is back on.

"It" was not there after all. The story was in the Houston paper several days ago, so I cannot remember the details. I do not remember what they found, but it was not the Zavala, so I am assuming construction is back on.

Sort of. There is evidence of metal under water and sand. However, it is being stated that they are not antiquities, but from old piers. Others are saying the metal is from a very old ship.

Still waiting to see how this will play out.

Regardless The temporary measures will be in place when the Liberty arrives !

Here's a link to an article from August 28 that gives some information. There is also a slideshow with pictures.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Delays-cost-overruns-plague-cruise-terminal-6470064.php#photo-8545714

Requires you to be a digital subscriber for the full article and pictures.

Galveston County Daily News:

Where in Gulf is

the sunken Zavala?

Archaeologists failed to find the sunken remains of Texas Navy warship Zavala in the island’s harbor, waterfront officials said last week.

While possibly a disappointment for history buffs, the news likely means the port can move ahead with installing mooring bollards in preparation for the November arrival of cruise ship Liberty of the Seas. The archaeologists searched the site where, in the 1980s, author Clive Cussler and the Texas Historical Commission found what they said were the ship’s remains. They found some riveted steel, which likely was from another period and related to railroads. They also found piles from historic wharves, but nothing close to suggesting the Zavala or other wrecks were at the site.