Need help choosing an Alaska cruise

bluewater1298

Before my questions, I just have to thank this forum for all the wonderful information you are so willing to give. We took our first Princess cruise back in December and this forum helped so much in our planning. Although I never posted a question about Princess, I learned so much from just searching my questions and reading the different posts on this site.

Sorry to say, I don't have as much time to research right now, so here are my questions:

1. Which is the best Princess ship for viewing Alaska?

(We are not too concerned with the interior of the ship - just good viewing decks)

2. Which is the best cabin to get?

(Balcony or mini-suite and best location)

3. Is June a good time of the year to go?

(Best time for us, but we could go in Aug if it's a better cruise for viewing)

4. This would be for 2016. If we book now and the price drops, can we get the lower price? Does it get lower than the just released prices?

I would appreciate any opinions, comments and advice of past Alaska cruisers.:)

If the timing works out I would say the Coral is the perfect ship, whatever the itinerary is. Yes, I really like the layout of her. Any balcony cabin, but for Alaska, I think I would book a covered if I had to choose, and a covered mini would be ideal. I went in June about 8 yrs ago and had perfect weather, and got to experance spectacular calving!

Personally, I don't think a mini is necessary for a 7 day cruise. Especially when there are lots of ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan). You'll be out and about on those days, anyway. Save your money for excursions. They are pricey in Alaska, but DO IT ANYWAY! You won't regret it. Alaska is awesome!!! We did a cruisetour on our first cruise to Alaska, and the second time we went, just a 7 day inside passage. Had a balcony the first time, interior the second. Not a fan of interiors. Book a regular balcony, at least half covered. Then if it rains, you can still be outside. Nice for Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

Edited by JLDMED

Before my questions, I just have to thank this forum for all the wonderful information you are so willing to give. We took our first Princess cruise back in December and this forum helped so much in our planning. Although I never posted a question about Princess, I learned so much from just searching my questions and reading the different posts on this site.

Sorry to say, I don't have as much time to research right now, so here are my questions:

1. Which is the best Princess ship for viewing Alaska?

(We are not too concerned with the interior of the ship - just good viewing decks)

2. Which is the best cabin to get?

(Balcony or mini-suite and best location)

3. Is June a good time of the year to go?

(Best time for us, but we could go in Aug if it's a better cruise for viewing)

4. This would be for 2016. If we book now and the price drops, can we get the lower price? Does it get lower than the just released prices?

I would appreciate any opinions, comments and advice of past Alaska cruisers.:)

First off - you will LOVE Alaska regardless of which ship or month!

From personal experience:

2 trips in June, southbound on the Island Princess (2011 & 2014) and an upcoming southbound on the Coral P. this June.

I've found the weather in early June to be quite comfortable. Not hot, not cold (however, it WILL be colder while cruising the glaciers no matter WHEN you go). We had a mix of clouds and sun. I recall the only "rain" day we had was the last port in Ketchican - but even then, it was not a downpour rain. If you check the records, you may find June to be one of the lowest months of precipitation, but remember that the inner passage is also a 'rain forest'.

Our first trip was in a mini (thought we'd splurge, because "we'll never go back" HA!). It was Caribe deck (C504) midship 'bumpout'.

2nd trip (as well as the upcoming one) was literally in the balcony cabin right next door (C502).

We prefer midship cabins and I especially liked the bumpout cabins on the Island P. They are fully covered and because they are 'bumped out', you have full view forward and aft.

The Island and Coral each have a covered pool - which is especially nice while cruising in non-Caribbean waters.

Additionally, the Baja & Caribe decks have forward viewing areas all the way forward which give a wonderful all around view while cruising Glacier Park and Hubbard Glacier.

I found the upper decks to be a bit crowded AND (more importantly) it is hard to find a spot that does not have the "blue panels" to be able to get unimpeded photos.

The Island and Coral had rear area viewing also, but upcoming dry docks are closing those areas off and installing cabins/suites instead.

Finally, if you have any interest in going - BOOK NOW! Each time I booked when first opened to select the cabin I knew we'd want. Yes, prices went down over the course of time prior to final payment - also they ran specials including OBC's, upgrades, etc. Each time I was able to call Princess and get the repricing and added perks (unless it specically says 'new bookings only', you are free to refare up to final payment).

I have my reviews for both cruises if you'd like to see them. Email me at beh614@gmail.com and put "Alaska reviews" in the subject.

Have fun making all your plans!

Be aware that, if you book on Island Princess, it will be after the major refit that will remove the aft viewing areas. We booked Island because it fits the time my wife wants to go. :) Coral Princess is currently the same as Island (with the addition of the International Cafe!) and will not be receiving the refit that many are characterizing as "butchering".

Alaska in June is the time of year when there is very little night. You might find that you have only a few hours of darkness. Great for viewing but be prepared for it. It makes some people a bit "edgy". Again, we are going in June because that's when my wife wants to go.

In booking our cruisetour we found that June is also the most expensive time to do Alaska. The same cruisetour we are taking is more than $800 pp cheaper in early May. Ouch. All I can say about that is, "Yes, dear". :D

You also may want to decide which port you would like to cruise out of. There is a 10 day cruise from San Francisco (my favorite) which allows a few extra days for just relaxing. And SF, in of itself, is a wonderful city to visit, before or after the cruise.

There is also Seattle. A great port to visit, as well, and the overall cruise would be less expensive due to it being a 7-day cruise.

Many may opt to cruise out of Vancouver because it is the only "true" inside passage. Generally the airfares are more pricey but Vancouver is also one of those port cities that is a must to visit and explore.

Personally, we prefer aft balconies on our Alaska cruises because there is less wind and cold in the aft of the ship. There is just too much to see, and possibly miss, if you are stuck on only one side of the ship.

I wouldn't let the longer days be an issue. For me, it simply allowed me to view the magnificent scenery longer. There are heavy drapes on all the doors and windows so it really isn't a problem for sleeping. At least not for me and I do like a dark room.

We've gone to Alaska four times in the last few years. Once on NCL (aft Penthouse suite). Once on HAL (aft balcony) and twice on Princess aft balcony and window. We'll probably go again later this summer.

The tours can be quite pricey (sea plane flights, helicopter to walk on and explore the glaciers, private whale watches, etc.) So if $$ is a consideration, book an inside cabin and hope you get an upgrade or an upsell offer. Use your money for the tours because even when the port cities are interesting, getting out of town and seeing the true nature of Alaska is what Alaska is all about. IMHO, of course. :)

Be aware that, if you book on Island Princess, it will be after the major refit that will remove the aft viewing areas. We booked Island because it fits the time my wife wants to go. :) Coral Princess is currently the same as Island (with the addition of the International Cafe!) and will not be receiving the refit that many are characterizing as "butchering".

Just read a new thread that says the coral will be going under the knife April 2016 too.

How sad. The Island and Coral "were" wonderful ships.

Thank you for all the replies! I have been on the Princess site and I'm blown away by how fast rooms are being booked. It doesn't make since that a whole section can get booked in less than an hour. (the time I have been looking)

We decided on Coral Princess (balcony) for June 11, 2016. I can't decide on forward or aft. Also can't decide between the lower decks (Emerald or Promenade aft) or middle (dolphin or caribe). While I was looking at all the different options - the dolphin or caribe forward cabins completely sold out.:confused:

It looks like the promenade aft balcony cabins will be a new addition. They were completely sold out when I first began looking and now there are some available. Anyone think this would be a good spot?

A question about Coral Princess - Is the top deck all one level? It looks like it is from their deck plan, but I'm not sure if it goes straight across. Our only experience with Princess was with CB and we didn't care much for the way the top deck was chopped up (going up and down stairs to get from one end to the other).

One more question - I had a Princess representative call me today to ask if he could assist me with booking a cruise. He gave me a direct number to call him. Any advantage to having a Princess Rep booking it vs booking online?

Sorry for so many questions. Thank you again for all your info!!! It is really appreciated!

We sailed to Alaska 8 years ago during mid-August and are planning to book another Alaskan cruise in 2016. I read that July was the best time to see whales bubble feeding but we saw a lot of bubble feeding last time we were there so August was great for seeing this too. Besides seeing whales we also got to see salmon spawning - tons of them and they were huge - was like watching a nature show as they swam upriver against the current. Because we want to see this again, our 2016 cruise will again be in August. Last time the weather was great so we're hoping for a repeat of that as well. I also read that due to the salmon, there are more bears to see during August.

Since we've only been there once, I can't compare months, but our August experience was fantastic.

I think June is a great time to go.

Personally, I love the Coral, but since she will be losing public space and getting additional cabins I am not sure I will ever wish to sail her again. You can certainly change bookings....no, the "top" deck of the Coral is not level, some of the open decks go up further than others.

Location - when the ship does Glacier Bay the Captain will turn the ship so each side gets a view for a while. We've done Glacier Bay a few times and I think I finally have my preferred viewing location and method figured out. While a balcony if fine I like being on Promenade Deck - it is covered, but, like the balconies, there is no glass blocking your view or that of your camera lens either. If you get cold, you can just duck inside for a few minutes to warm up, and if there is something interesting happening on the opposite side of the ship (wildlife siting etc.) you just go inside, and walk across out to the other side. So convenient. Being on a balcony means you have to navigate hallways, maybe stairs or elevators, to get to a viewing site on the opposite side of the ship. So....I say on a deck where you can get to Promenade deck quickly. Others might disagree but it works for me. Forward or aft, etc., take a look at the deck plans and see what things you wish to be closer to and book accordingly. Cabin location is a very personal thing, I think.

Book now, watch for price drops, and Princess will honor the price drop if you call - as long as it happens before final payment and it is not advertised as only for new bookings. I booked our upcoming cruises as soon as the bookings became available to nail down our cabins, and the prices we got on some of the categories are still the lowest ever offered. On others, I have called and taken advantage of the price drops for the 2 balcony cabins we have booked. Our suite prices were a bargain when the bookings first opened....

If you are sailing out of Vancouver and prefer to fly into Seattle, you can get the Princess bus transfer up to the pier in Vancouver. We do this when cruising out of Vancouver.

We took the last cruise tour of the season last year in September on the Island. It was absolutely beautiful and a lot less crowded. We had regular daylight and night time which certainly helps as each day is so filled with exciting things to see and do. I would definitely do this time of the year again!

We've done Alaska twice: HAL 7-day from Seattle in mini-suite and Grand Princess 10-day from SFO in aft full suite.

One was Glacier Bay and the other Tracy Arm. One included Sitka and the other Skagway. One was Aug/Sept and the other July.

We loved both cruises and would repeat either.

As others have said you will love whatever you choose whenever you go. The weather in Alaska changes a lot so take layers and love the experience whatever you do.

June has always worked well for us with Alaska cruises, but one can never predict Alaska's weather. A covered balcony would be best in case of rain. You will likely experience at least a day or 2 of rain. As for the best ship, many love the Coral, the one you chose. Aft balconies are amazing, so if they're going to be covered (they haven't been built yet, so I don't know if anyone knows whether they will be yet), I'd say definitely snag one of them! Happy planning!

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm still undecided about which cabin. And now I'm not sure about the Coral because of all the changes. I thought about the Star Princess or one of the Holland America ships.

The reason I started looking at the Star was because of a video posted of an aft balcony. I think I would like to have an aft. Not sure about the Coral aft since it will be new next year. The reason for not liking the Star is for the chopped up top deck. But then someone posted the Coral was about the same.

Any opinions about Princess's top decks?

I know I need to quit waffling and make up my mind. Thanks again for all the information everyone has provided!:)

I think June is a great time to go.

Personally, I love the Coral, but since she will be losing public space and getting additional cabins I am not sure I will ever wish to sail her again. You can certainly change bookings....no, the "top" deck of the Coral is not level, some of the open decks go up further than others.

I agree about the Coral but hesitate after the big changes coming. :(

Wow. I thought only Island was going "under the knife" but I just checked the Coral deck plans to be sure and found that it is showing the same kind of hack job that is being shown for the Island. Poop. At least we will get to sail on Coral with the existing deck plan in September before the changes are made. We are booked on Island for next June after the changes.

With the alterations occurring on other ships we have chosen the Star Princess out of Anchorage with the pre-cruise 5 day tour HB5 beginning on June 6. This is our second Alaskan adventure and we want to experience Denali this time.

After looking at the cost of the train I discovered the pricing by Princess to be quite reasonable.

We snagged our favorite aft starboard mini-suite on Emerald deck.

Started the roll call yesterday :)