Sights and Sounds of Italy

Cruzer Two

Lovely videos! How did you like Caserta?

After watching a TV show called 'Monty Don's Italian Gardens', I'm thinking it might be worth an excursion next time we go on a cruise that stops at Naples!

Thanks for the nice comments on the videos. We went to Caserta on a private tour arranged by Stefano Rome Tours with 6 other fellow cruise critic passengers. Unfortunately, as you can tell by the umbrellas, it was raining the day we visited the palace, so we didn’t walk the gardens. The inside of the palace was beautifully decorated and the size is amazing. We had lunch at Trianon da Ciro, the oldest continually operated pizzeria in Naples and still had plenty of time for a visit to Herculaneum. Luckily, it stopped raining by the time we got to Herculaneum. I would certainly recommend a tour of Caserta if you’ve already covered the other major sites around the port of Naples area, such as Sorrento, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, and Capri.

Hope this helps!

Ron

Edited by Cruzer Two

Thanks Cruzer Two and Eurocruiser!

We have been to Amalfi Coast and Sorrento and Herculaneum .. so Caserta sounds like a future destination! We used Stefano Rome Tours on our cruise last November for Rome; they were terrific!

Stefano is terrific! Another company that does a great job in Italy is DriverinRome. They offer private tours from all of the Italian ports plus Athens and Malta. In addition, they offer shared tours from the ports of Civitaveccia and Livorno, which is great if you don't have enought people to organize a private tour.

Another off the beaten path tour offer by Stefano is the Castles and Lakes excursion from Civitavecchia. This tour travels to Bracciano to visit Odescalchi Castle near Lake Bracciano, the ancient medieval hilltop fortress of Ceri, and the Etruscan tombs at Banditaccia Necropolis in Cerverteri. We did this two years ago with a private group and it was fantastic. I have a video of this interesting excursion.

Edited by Cruzer Two

Wow- The Castles and Lakes tour is exactly the one I tried to get going on our roll call last fall! I got 6 other tours filled but not that one! I won't give up though- it looks like a perfect day.

Maybe I'll have better luck with it on a cruise that only stops in Civitavecchia as a port day, and not one that starts and ends there like ours did. There are so many great tours on Stefano's site it is hard to choose!

Thank you for posting the videos here and on You tube.It is like having a personal cruise consultant! Our next cruise is Baltics so will have a look at your Baltic Treasures video!

Wow- The Castles and Lakes tour is exactly the one I tried to get going on our roll call last fall! I got 6 other tours filled but not that one! I won't give up though- it looks like a perfect day.

Maybe I'll have better luck with it on a cruise that only stops in Civitavecchia as a port day, and not one that starts and ends there like ours did. There are so many great tours on Stefano's site it is hard to choose!

Thank you for posting the videos here and on You tube.It is like having a personal cruise consultant! Our next cruise is Baltics so will have a look at your Baltic Treasures video!

Thanks again for the nice comments! I afraid that pictures from my Baltic Treasures video were made a few years ago before I really got into photography and making videos, so it is not quite up to par with some of my later videos. Maybe its time to take another Baltic cruise. :) I do have some really nice videos from a recent Norwegian cruise. If you haven't done this cruise it is a treat. It turned out to be one of our favorite cruises. The scenery is unbelievable.

Ron