Belize is it a tender port?

kc58ab

What is in the port area? We are not doing an excursion, but are trying to decide if whatever is inside the secure area for shops and such is worth the tender ride?

Kevin

NOOOO!!! No excursion??? STAY ON BOARD! We went here last spring break and did the cave tubing. That was pretty cool. However, the drive to GET to the cave was over two hours and oh so bumpy and borrrring. Armed guards everywhere even at the park where the caves are. I never felt 100% safe. There's really not much of a shopping area at all. If i HAD to go back? I'd make it my own "at sea" day.

So if you are on a ship excursion are you on a tender together?

Probably. My experience was that the excursion groups all met in the theater. Everyone was given a number as they entered that matched the excursion you were on. When your number was called, they would lead your group out to a tender. I think everyone from our group was in the same tender, but there were several other excursion groups packed in there.

be alert as the tenders are shore based not the ships boats

We left the tender and returned to the ship when we noticed no visible life jackets for us packed sardines.

Some tenders looked like ancient 40-50 ft Chris Crafts

Bobpell

Cruise in May aboard Freedom I heard conflicting answers to Belize being a tender port. If so how long ride?

I don't understand how you heard conflicting reports about if Belize was a tender port or not:confused: There is absolutely no doubt since your ride to shore is about 4 miles long.:eek:

We always enjoyed the tender ride, we like to sit in the back and get some good pictures of the ship as the tender pulls away. It's a pleasant ride into the port. It's definitely a tourist trap at the port, but you can still find fun things to do, places to shop, if you don't have an excursion.

be alert as the tenders are shore based not the ships boats

We left the tender and returned to the ship when we noticed no visible life jackets for us packed sardines.

Some tenders looked like ancient 40-50 ft Chris Crafts

Bobpell

On every tender I have ever been on the life jackets have either been under the seat you are sitting on and/or in bins marked as such and easily accessible. I have never seen life jackets out in the open on a tender. I imagine they would be a safety hazard and go over board easily when the waves get a little rough if they were just casually lying about.

NOOOO!!! No excursion??? STAY ON BOARD! We went here last spring break and did the cave tubing. That was pretty cool. However, the drive to GET to the cave was over two hours and oh so bumpy and borrrring. Armed guards everywhere even at the park where the caves are. I never felt 100% safe. There's really not much of a shopping area at all. If i HAD to go back? I'd make it my own "at sea" day.

yes, the area outside the regular shopping area is a bit sketchy looking, but maybe it's not? I don't know....I think we saw guards at the port but that was about it...I believe the ride out to the caves was an hour and half maybe at the most, but we had a good group we rode with in nice toyota hiace vans, and our guides were super informative and made the ride out entertaining enough and informative....

Like I said, I don't remember seeing too many guards outside of the port, but maybe there were. Maybe they were on heightened alert for some reason with Honduras (apparently they're not always the best of neighbors?)

The tender ride was a bit tight, but as expected. The water was calm that day so nothing too rough. Not much to say except yes it was a bit crowded, and a 20-30 ride depending.

back at the ship from the tender:

IMG_1030_zpsbym4z92b.jpg

My friend and I were outside the wall:eek: We booked a horse and buggy ride, wondered how come we were the only ones. It turned out not to be a sanctioned one. Our driver was very proud of his hometown, we saw what we consider slum areas and every house had a chain link fence and a barking dog. No one bothered us, but it was spooky. Once back, we got stern lectures from fellow passengers. Apparently going outside the wall had been mentioned at the on board lecture about not doing that.

What is in the port area? We are not doing an excursion, but are trying to decide if whatever is inside the secure area for shops and such is worth the tender ride?

Kevin

Inside the port is an area with a few restaurants/bars and shopping. There is also, I believe, 2 pharmacies.... they were packed too so whatever they were selling must have been a deal.

The shops sell the normal stuff that you can get most anywhere. There was nothing that really stood out as being super unique. There was one store that advertised to sell knock-off designer purses. Personally, the prices and the selection were not that great.

There were a ton of tee-shirt shops and those that sold coffee mugs, shot glasses etc... that had " Belize" printed on them...... so just your typical port style shops.

I was able to snag a very, very unique small jewelry box that was made with small shells, glass and beads. It was just stunning and I got it for under $15 so I was very happy. My only regret was that I didn't buy more than one as it would have made a very unique gift. If I ever go back this would be the one and only item that I would even bother to shop for but everyone is different.

I would say go and experience it at least once. Don't rush for the first few tenders..... let those that have excursions and such get off the ship first. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast and then take a later tender. It wont be packed and it will make the 25 min or so much more enjoyable. Same for the return, don't wait until the end of the day or you will be faced with a long tender line and a packed boat.

Have a great time an do take the time to experience the port at least once. What is another man's junk is another's treasure so you may luck out and find the perfect gift to remember your visit.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

I couldn't agree more. My husband & son did a excursion and I took my girls to the port area for shopping. I know many like Belize, but not us. Wish we would have stayed on the ship. People were yelling and trying to crawl under the wooden fence. One lady kept following us and actually touching my daughters hair, wanting to braid it. Scary. We will never get off the ship there again. We've been on many cruises, visited many ports and never had a experience like this before.

Inside the port is an area with a few restaurants/bars and shopping. There is also, I believe, 2 pharmacies.... they were packed too so whatever they were selling must have been a deal.

The shops sell the normal stuff that you can get most anywhere. There was nothing that really stood out as being super unique. There was one store that advertised to sell knock-off designer purses. Personally, the prices and the selection were not that great.

There were a ton of tee-shirt shops and those that sold coffee mugs, shot glasses etc... that had " Belize" printed on them...... so just your typical port style shops.

I was able to snag a very, very unique small jewelry box that was made with small shells, glass and beads. It was just stunning and I got it for under $15 so I was very happy. My only regret was that I didn't buy more than one as it would have made a very unique gift. If I ever go back this would be the one and only item that I would even bother to shop for but everyone is different.

I would say go and experience it at least once. Don't rush for the first few tenders..... let those that have excursions and such get off the ship first. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast and then take a later tender. It wont be packed and it will make the 25 min or so much more enjoyable. Same for the return, don't wait until the end of the day or you will be faced with a long tender line and a packed boat.

Have a great time an do take the time to experience the port at least once. What is another man's junk is another's treasure so you may luck out and find the perfect gift to remember your visit.

A lot of the shops are in a small mall with a/c, also a straw market outdoors. One bar/restaurant has live music as you get off the pier.

Unless you are afraid of tenders (and yes I'm sure there are life jackets in those boxes) it's a nice ride in. Don't wait till late to go back. Due to the length of the ride, they don't come every 5 minutes.

Apparently going outside the wall had been mentioned at the on board lecture about not doing that.

The cruise lines have been trotting out that nonsense for years in order to convince passengers to only book excursions with them. While Belize City is not particular scenic, walking around the town is not inherently dangerous. We have done so a couple of times. Bad things can and do happen everywhere. The locals we met in Belize City were charming and lovely.