Denim & Tennis shoes for Baltic Ports???

If I wear denim capris or pants (not jeans) and tennis shoes, will I stick out like a sore thumb for our day time touring in the Baltic ports?

I have heel spurs and really should wear my New Balance athletic shoes & orthotics. We plan to do LOTS of walking in these ports. If I'm going to really pack smart for our 30 days, I can get more mileage out of denim.

Opinions?

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

tennis shoes are de rigeur for the walking trips julie. You will not look out of place at all. St petersburg and the Hermitage can be a bit of a route march so wear the most comfortable shoes and loose layered clothing for this one in particular.

have a great time

Jim and Margaret

Norwegian Dream April 2003

Constellation May 2004

thinking about the next one now!!

Thanks! I've read about some parts of Europe being more formal --- but sure wanted to wear my comfy stuff for this itinerary.

Julie

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Denim would have been far too warm for our Baltic cruise last August. I wore mostly khakis or skirts. I usually don't wear sneakers because I think they make you look like a tourist (I know, that's exactly what I am!!) and also I have Mephisto sandals that make sneakers feel like pointy-toed stilettos! It's like walking on clouds.

Best advice: wear layers - the weather can vary greatly in the Baltic and wear your sneakers if they're comfortable. You'll be doing a lot of walking and comfort is key!!

Have a great cruise!!

Joanie

You can dress casually today in Baltic ports. Personally I would not wear denim in Stockholm city where I live, that is country clothes to me. But this time of the year our cities are full of tourists, so you will not stand out. Particularly last summer, which was unusually hot, most visitors dressed very casually.

As for shoes, you must definitely wear what is most comfortable to you. There is a lot of sightseeing and walking in all the ports, and some of our streets are cobblestone, so high heels are out. Even if we who live here mostly dress up a bit for the city, I always wear comfortable shoes.

I agree that layered clothing is the way to go. That way you can add or take off as the weather changes. This summer has started quite cold, temperature this morning was only 40, and even if some sunshine during the day made it a bit warmer it was still not warm. I don’t think we will see a really hot summer this year, but the weather can still change

Julie - At the last minute, I packed a pair of jeans and leather keds for my trip and I can't tell you how happy I was that I had included them. I wore them in all of the ports and never stood out. Practically everyone else was dressed the same way. Most of the time I had a parka on and you really couldn't tell what I was wearing under it. I know you are going at the end of the season, so I expect you will have much warmer weather than we did, however you never can tell abou the rain, so I would make sure you have some shoes that will stand up to water.

mek - thanks for sharing your experience. I'll definitely opt for the denim & tennies! I guess the weather in the Baltics is very unpredictable so we'll plan to layer and hope for the best. Someone recommended (months ago) Sloggers - so we ordered a pair for each of us. I'd begun to think maybe they are an unnecessary extravagance, but now I'm glad we have them. We want to proceed with our plans - rain or shine.

I have enjoyed reading all of your posts!

Julie

<')))><

Sloggers are rain gear for your feet. They fit over tennis shoes.

You can get them at Magellan's but I think I ordered ours from somewhere else. Just do a search for Sloggers and you'll find them.

Here's a link to the Magellan's ad for them.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Mens_Clothing___Outerwear___Rain_GearRG102?Args=

<')))><

Months ago I read a post from someone who had ordered Sloggers after their trip and were really sorry they did not have them FOR the trip. I had been undecided about ordering these since I will probably never wear them again.

Thanks to mek and the review on the weather, I decided to go ahead and order them. Of course now we only have 8 days before we leave on our cruise and I had to spend the extra money to have then rush shipped. Total cost was $42.00. However, I figure if I come prepared then we will have wonderful weather. If not prepared, then the weather will be bad. $42.00 is not a bad price to pay to ensure great weather icon_smile.gif

Dawn

Archived