Dollars accepted in United Kingdom?

ATM (invented by a Scot) are everywhere in the UK and Europe, as others have said - by far the most convenient way to get local cash.

A couple or so British banks have debit cards which don't involve any transaction/ foreign currency fees when used outwith the UK - so I presume there will be some American banks which offer similar for clients to use outside the USA.

Worth having if you are a regular foreign tourist.

In Scotland if you use an ATM branded to a Scottish bank you will get their Scots banknotes.

HSBC branded ATMs will dispense Bank of England notes which are accepted everywhere.

Credit and Debit cards can be used universally here for store purchases etc.

The UK is not the only European country that hasn't adopted the Euro - Denmark and Sweden (for example) retain their own versions of the Kronar.

As in every country on the planet - it's a bad idea to tender larger denomination notes for small purchases, that really hacks off the seller.

I would recommend £10 and £5 notes for the UK - I never carry anything larger.

£20 notes will be accepted without any problems - but many places won't touch £50s or higher.

Some of the ATM advice is bank dependent. Check with YOUR bank, as they might charge a currency conversion fee that can be quite high. And/or charge you a high withdrawal fee if you don't withdraw from a partner bank (look up Global ATM Alliance).

The *best* thing you can do is just use a credit card if it doesn't have a currency conversion fee. Make sure you notify the bank that you are traveling so they don't think it's fraud, then use it like you would at home. If asked for a PIN, just hit the enter key. (Ask ahead of time and they may be able to issue a new Chip + PIN card to use instead.) It will go through and will print out a US-style sign receipt. I just use my Capital One No Fee card everywhere I go. No conversion fees.

For ATM withdrawals I usually use my CitiCard at a Citi ATM, since they're global.

That's pretty much limited to countries close to the US with weak economies / infrastructure. Any first world nation is going to have extraordinarily limited acceptance of currencies other than their own.

Although US credit cards are (finally!) going to chips we are (stupidly!) going to "chip and sign" rather than "chip and pin" cards. I don't understand why the US cards have to be so freaking far behind the times.

I'm hoping there won't be an issue with the "chip and sign" cards but I figure they will probably be as useless as the magnetic strip cards when it comes to automated things such as the SkyTrain terminals in Vancouver.

Businesses in the US don't take Canadian currency but people who cruise to Canada always want to use US currency there. I did use US currency when I first arrived though. Our cab fare to the hotel was something like $12 Canadian and I didn't have any proper money. The cab driver was quite happy to accept a massive overpayment in the form of a US $20 bill. :)

Edited by Thrak

I would recommend £10 and £5 notes for the UK - I never carry anything larger.

£20 notes will be accepted without any problems - but many places won't touch £50s or higher.

Er - what note is a higher denomination in the UK than a £50 note?

Bank of England only issues up to 50 pound notes but since you asked about the UK, authorized Northern Ireland banks and authroized banks in Scotland issue up to 100 pound notes which by act of the UK Parliament are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom.

http://www.acbi.org.uk/media/sni_notes_factsheet_nov12_copy1.pdf

The Hard Rock Cafe on Picadilly in London accepts US Dollars.

And that's about it. Don't even think about asking anywhere else.

(And be careful not to inadvertently pull out Euros in Britain or British Pounds in Ireland...very touchy subject)

Untrue.

Also Scottish notes are not in fact 'legal tender' but are usually accepted in England.

As someone has already stated, only a few large retailers in the UK will accept Euro, OP is best to have sterling or use debit/credit card/prepaid card

Edited by babygoo

Bank of England only issues up to 50 pound notes but since you asked about the UK, authorized Northern Ireland banks and authroized banks in Scotland issue up to 100 pound notes which by act of the UK Parliament are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom.

http://www.acbi.org.uk/media/sni_notes_factsheet_nov12_copy1.pdf

Interesting, but the website from the link you posted states that the Scottish/N Irish notes are NOT legal tender.

I'd love to see someone try to spend a £100 note in England. That would be very entertaining. Good Luck with that is all I can say.

You know, if you want to promote the US in other countries one of the first and easiest things you could do is to respect the local customs, including going to a bit of trouble to have some of the local currency.

Well said

Although US credit cards are (finally!) going to chips we are (stupidly!) going to "chip and sign" rather than "chip and pin" cards. I don't understand why the US cards have to be so freaking far behind the times.

I'm hoping there won't be an issue with the "chip and sign" cards but I figure they will probably be as useless as the magnetic strip cards when it comes to automated things such as the SkyTrain terminals in Vancouver.

Businesses in the US don't take Canadian currency but people who cruise to Canada always want to use US currency there. I did use US currency when I first arrived though. Our cab fare to the hotel was something like $12 Canadian and I didn't have any proper money. The cab driver was quite happy to accept a massive overpayment in the form of a US $20 bill. :)

Thrak,

I think the intention is to eventually go to a "Chip and PIN" system in the U.S. The delay is due to the time it will take to roll out and install the required hard and software. Given how far behind we are this will take quite a bit of time I assume. As a result both options will have to remain in place for the time being.

However, you should be able to get a PIN from your credit card company. I was issued a new card with the chip (and mag strip) and was given a PIN also.

Sorry, my quotes aren't working ... this is from Sir Griller:

------------

"Interesting, but the website from the link you posted states that the Scottish/N Irish notes are NOT legal tender.

I'd love to see someone try to spend a £100 note in England. That would be very entertaining. Good Luck with that is all I can say."

------------

Well you sir are correct that the link says that Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are not legal tender in England. What you neglected to mention is that neither are the notes from the Bank of England legal tender in Scotland or Northern Ireland. The link then goes on to say that the term "legal tender" is a very narrow technical term and has no bearing on the acceptability of any of the bank notes.

What I should have said is that all these notes are authorized by Parliament and are legal currency in the whole of the UK.

Now with all that behind us, I once did successfully spend a £100 note in England. I was lucky that it was at a major hotel chain. I used it and other UK notes at check-out as I was heading back to the States and needed to dump most of my UK currency. Even got rid of a lot of change.

I once witnessed a Scottish colleague attempt to pay part of a pub tab with some £1 Scottish notes in Bath. That was entertaining, both the barman's reaction as well as the umbrage of the Scotsman.

However, you should be able to get a PIN from your credit card company. I was issued a new card with the chip (and mag strip) and was given a PIN also.

That PIN is so you can make cash advance withdrawals.

It is not the PIN for Chip & PIN.

That PIN is so you can make cash advance withdrawals.

It is not the PIN for Chip & PIN.

That's not correct in my case. I recently received a new Visa from Barclay Bank and they specifically provided a PIN that can be used for both cash advances and Chip and Pin transactions.

The literature discussed it in detail. They even mention that the first time you use the card abroad that you need to make a regular swipe purchase and from that point on it will work for Chip and Pin purchases.

I called them because I wanted to change my PIN and verified that all of the above details were accurate. I was assured that they were. Hopefully they're more reliable than Princess Customer Service Reps. :)

Edited by msmoger

You know, if you want to promote the US in other countries one of the first and easiest things you could do is to respect the local customs, including going to a bit of trouble to have some of the local currency.

But, the question was about tipping a 'British' tour guide.

From reading cruise critic, the local custom is to not tip.

Problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...
But, the question was about tipping a 'British' tour guide.

From reading cruise critic, the local custom is to not tip.

Problem solved.

I agree about the tipping but the OP was actually talking about spending money in "local shops and pubs".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's not correct in my case. I recently received a new Visa from Barclay Bank and they specifically provided a PIN that can be used for both cash advances and Chip and Pin transactions.

The literature discussed it in detail. They even mention that the first time you use the card abroad that you need to make a regular swipe purchase and from that point on it will work for Chip and Pin purchases.

I called them because I wanted to change my PIN and verified that all of the above details were accurate. I was assured that they were. Hopefully they're more reliable than Princess Customer Service Reps. :)

i was told the same by two customer service reps from Barclay. both said the same (i called the second time just in case) that first time i have to use it as a chip and signature and after it card will start working as a chip and pin.

only time and try will tell if it is true:)

i was told the same by two customer service reps from Barclay. both said the same (i called the second time just in case) that first time i have to use it as a chip and signature and after it card will start working as a chip and pin.

only time and try will tell if it is true:)

I believe that the customer service reps are reciting what they've been told to say but that doesn't make it correct. A true chip and pin doe not require you to use it a first time as a chip and signature card. It appears that what you and msmoger have is a card with chip that is primarily a chip and signature card but can use a pin as a secondary function in some cases. A true chip and pin has the pin embedded in the chip and it can not be changed by the card owner.

From everything I've read, there are only a couple of true chip and pin cards issued in the US and those are from specific credit unions (USAA had true chip and pin but has recently switched to a chip and signature - boo!). Barclay Bank appears to issue cards with signature required as the main cardholder verification method (CVM).

I believe that the customer service reps are reciting what they've been told to say but that doesn't make it correct. A true chip and pin doe not require you to use it a first time as a chip and signature card. It appears that what you and msmoger have is a card with chip that is primarily a chip and signature card but can use a pin as a secondary function in some cases. A true chip and pin has the pin embedded in the chip and it can not be changed by the card owner.

I suspect that what the customer service rep was saying is that it could be used for cash advances at an ATM using the PIN number.

But that is not the same as using it as a chip & PIN for purchases from ticket vending machines, gas station pumps, etc.

I've used my Barclay's card to purchase train tickets in Amsterdam and Zurich, gas in GB and at vending machines - C & P, activated after I sign for one purchase after arriving in Europe. No other chip card in my wallet will allow me to make these purchases as they all require a signature.

I have never used the card for a cash advance - too expensive. ATM's are best for cash.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

Thrak,

I think the intention is to eventually go to a "Chip and PIN" system in the U.S. The delay is due to the time it will take to roll out and install the required hard and software. Given how far behind we are this will take quite a bit of time I assume. As a result both options will have to remain in place for the time being.

I saw an add in Costco Connections magazine advertising a Credit Card device. It seemed to be aimed at vendors regarding chip cards. It said that fraud charges would become the responsibility of the vendor (paraphrase).

I guess vendors need an incentive to upgrade as well as card suppliers.

From everything I've read, there are only a couple of true chip and pin cards issued in the US and those are from specific credit unions (USAA had true chip and pin but has recently switched to a chip and signature - boo!). Barclay Bank appears to issue cards with signature required as the main cardholder verification method (CVM).

We have had chip and Pin cards in Australia for years and you can change the Pin in any atm or over the phone via a special program (so the operator can't hear). You can use s chip and Pin card on any purchase.

I have trouble understanding why anyone would even think that US currency would be accepted in the UK. Same thing for GBP in the US.

Because of the (thankfully minority view) some Americans have:

>>yES US BANKS WOULD BE ABLE TO CONVERT IT EASILY BUT PEOPLE IN THE US WOULD NOT GENERALLY ACCEPT EUROS I WOULD THINK.....EUROS ARE JUST NOT AS GENERALLY ACCEPTED AS DOLLARS. AND YES, THERE IS PROBABLY SOME FEELING OF ENTITLEMENT AS ONE DOLLARS ARE ACCEPTED IN MANY PLACES SO IT IS NOT UNREASONABLE FOR THOSE FROM THE US TO ASK....SECOND....WE ARE CURRENTLY THE MOST POWERFUL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.....COMES WITH SOME EXPECTATIONS AND ...PERKS.....THOSE FROM THE UK KNOW THIS OR SHOULD....<<<

Er - what note is a higher denomination in the UK than a £50 note?

If you look at the Bank of England website for Withdrawn Banknotes Reference Guide you will find that £60, £70, £80, £90, £100, £200, £300, £400, £500 and £1000 notes once existed. These were first issued c.1725 - 1745 and are now mega rare and I venture to suggest almost priceless. Even the Bank of England does not have a specimen of the £400 note.

Apparently there is a museum at the Bank of England.

Regards John

USAA still issues a true MasterCard PIN and chip card.

Yes USAA does have a chip and PIN card -- it's their "world" card. The downside is they charge a foreign transaction fee. [emoji35]

I got all excited last month when American Express and Chase both said they were going to chip cards. Hope was soon dashed when they further stated "chip and signature". Arghhhhh defeats the purpose!!!