Dollars accepted in United Kingdom?

If we are speaking of the very few countries where the U.S. Dollar is readily accepted and actually preferred, I agree. However this thread is specific to the UK.

No, it's not. Ireland and France are not part of the U.K.

Read the original post.

Ah yes, it appears the title is misleading. Either way, the OP needs to get local currency. To expect to use US Dollars in any of those places is pretty ridiculous.

PS--the only place in France I've ever been able to use Pounds was the cafe car on the Eurostar train between London and Paris. They would have fallen over themselves laughing if I tried to use US currency.

Edited by ducklite

Either way, the OP needs to get local currency. To expect to use US Dollars in any of those places is pretty ridiculous.

And just to muddy the waters...

I'm in the process of booking a walking tour in Copenhagen. If you've read my posts in this thread, you know that I expect to navigate my way in the local currency in any country in the world, and I wouldn't dream of asking if I can use US dollars. But the web site only quotes a price in US dollars; there's no price expressed in DKK. I just wrote the guide to ask if she really expects payment in US dollars.

Frankly, I don't want to pay in dollars. All that means is that I have to bring that much US currency and carry it around for the entire trip since Copenhagen is my last stop. I'd much rather pay in DKK, taking it out of a cash machine the night before the tour!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

But the web site only quotes a price in US dollars; there's no price expressed in DKK. I just wrote the guide to ask if she really expects payment in US dollars.

I think it's safe to assume that since you (presumably) logged in from a US based ISP, the website defaulted to dollars. I googled "walking tour in Copenhagen" and got several results - all of the ones I looked at were either free (Doh!) or quoted prices in DKK and Dollars.

I think it's safe to assume that since you (presumably) logged in from a US based ISP, the website defaulted to dollars. I googled "walking tour in Copenhagen" and got several results - all of the ones I looked at were either free (Doh!) or quoted prices in DKK and Dollars.

I was actually at the site for the specific tour provider I've selected. You're probably right about the web site defaulting to dollars from a US address. I've since heard back from the guide and she assured me I could pay in USD or DKK.

We were in Copenhagen about 10+ years ago and took one of the free tours; it was pretty much worth what we paid. The group was huge and the guide would begin talking when he arrived at the destination whether or not the folks at the back of the group had arrived. I don't recall having any problem hearing the spiel even though the guide spoke without amplification to the large group.

Bottom line: This time around, we're happy to pay.

• 2 weeks later...
...the silence was punctuated by an American woman who exclaimed, VERY LOUDLY...

We have experienced this around the world: all seven continents and by both men and women!

And not just by exclamation, but in their 'conversations' across a table.

• 3 weeks later...
There are 3 countries in the world where you will have no problem using US dollars to pay for things...Ecuador, Panama and Liberia. You know why? Because the US dollar is the official currency of these countries.
Is there not at least a fourth such country? ;)