Souviner shopping in Russia

mek

I wanted to pass this on to all of you, because the best, best, best, place to do your souviner shopping in St Petersburg is the flea market near the Church on the Spilled Blood. If you are taking a tour with Red October, Denrus, or independently, make sure you allow ample time to shop there. Also, I would recommend that you go there on the first rather than the second day, so if you can rearrange your itinerary, I would. I imagine the tour guides get a kick back from the nicer stores that we were taken to, and while we did buy some lovely things, I wish we had gone to the flea market first because they had the same merchandise available, with a much better sellection as well as many inexpensive items. We felt the tour guide tried to discourage us from going to the market, because she kept telling us that it was full of pickpockets and we needed to be very careful while there. Frankly, we didn't experience anything unusual about the area and we are always careful when in crowded areas. I just wish we had gone there first, because of the sellection and prices.

Archived