Long flight survival????

3red7s

Figure out a way to upgrade regularly to business class. If you don't have a bank of FF miles, get a credit card that adds points (e.g., united explorer) and pay all bills/purchases with it (of course, paying your balance off each month). Make your airline of choice a "star alliance" partner (e.g., united, Lufthansa, et al.) or whatever alliance of airlines that best fits your anticipated travel needs for the long haul of years to come.

If you really have to fly "economy," at least use the "seat guru" app to assist in seat selection.

I guess everyone has his or her own formula for jet lag success but we are always trying for that extra yard.

For what it is worth...my take

1. I avoid alcohol on these long flights and push water...

2. Avoid pill taking since I want to hit the other end full force..no pill hangover...

3. I try to sleep on the plane..when awake, walk a little to keep blood circulating as much as possible.

4 pay for the extra leg room..think it is worth it.

5. upon arrival, NEVER take a nap...push until after dinner...take a walk..but keep trying to get on new schedule.

good luck...

rick

Edited by eyeu

Lots of good tips here but does anyone have my problem? My upper body gets tired and comfortable but my legs are extremely restless. I fidget constantly so I basically get no sleep. I've tried mild sedatives, Benadryl, aisle seats, wine,etc. but nothing works for me. I just go on excitement to get through the first day at my destination.

Ask nicely when you check in -and at the gate, if there are any upgrade specials. We've been upgraded to premium economy a few times, sometimes just as we were boarding the plane. On a recent flight from Atlanta to Paris, Air France was offering upgrades to business class for $ 200. We were elsewhere in the terminal and missed the first announcement. When we finally head it, there was just 1 seat left.

Also, keep an eye out for empty seats/ rows during boarding. If it appears that the plane won't be full, ask the flight attendant if you can move. On the afore mentioned flight, we were in premium economy - paid for this. But when I went back to use the restroom, I noticed many empty seats and some people had entire rows to stretch out in - probably got a better nights sleep than me. Have to note that I was surprised to see so many empty seats as most flights anymore are packed.

I bring a light summerweight scarf that I can use in several different ways instead of using the airplane blanket (yuck). I use it as a light shawl if I'm cold, drape it in front of my eyes if the cabin lights are bothering me or ball it into the palm of my hand or under my elbow on the armrest to cushion my chin when I'm trying to use my armrest as a pillow.

My husband & I also always book the 2 seater on the side so I have the aisle & he gets the window. We turn it into our own little cocoon, he has the wall to lean on & his Ipod to listen to & I have the aisle so I can get up & walk around. We also put up the armrest between us & get a whole extra inch of space (wow!)

Another thing we do is as soon as we board the plane to Europe (since it's evernight) we change our watches over to whatever time it is at our destination & just tell ourselves that's the time. We found it helps us by thinking " it's the middle of the night, we better get some sleep", that way we're already used to the time change before we land.

After we land we drop our bags off at our hotel, grab breakfast or lunch (depending on the time we arrive), have a cappuccino (or 3) & walk (a lot). Then at 3:00 we can get in to our hotel room & we take a nap. We set the alarm for about an hour, get up, shower & have an early dinner. We make it an early night & wake up the next day ready to have some fun.