Boring poolside atmosphere

Scotto97

Whoa Doggie...reading is an anti-social activity!?!? Isolating?!?!? It's evident you haven't been reading much or you would know that anti-social activity/behavior is serious [you know what]. Daily cannibalism is anti-social. Being the founding member of a serial killers' support group is anti-social behavior. Reading [face palm at your ignorance] IS NOT!!!!!

Like very much!

No, I think the single most isolating, anti-social activity is insulting vast swaths of your fellow human beings for no reason other than that they're literate. Of course, we all denigrate what we can't do . . .

Amen!!

What I will say is people that elect to go into a very busy public space and expect peace and quiet so they can read a book ( the single most isolating, anti- social activity I know) are certainly not my personality type.

I try and surround myself with active, positive and social people of which by meeting them will enhance my cruise experience and perhaps build long-term friendships

We don't all go to the pool for the same reasons. I'm not going to demand that you be quiet and read, and you shouldn't expect others to show up to be part of your social network.

I find plenty of times to be social during a cruise: the dinner table, the theater, an excursion, balcony chat with the next door neighbor. But I don't go to the pool with that in mind. I go to enjoy the warm air and relax. And possibly read a trashy detective novel.

Jim

I don't mind more music but I'm not a big fan of pool games.

I'm in my late 40s and wife (sorry dw ;) ) is in here 30s and both of us enjoy more the reserved atsmophere of just people swimming and relaxing to music versus listening to a pool party.

All replies have been really in favor of a quiet and boring pool atmosphere with little or no entertainment.

I can definitely tell you that's not how it used to be on the Princess Caribbean cruises we had taken in the past.

They had steel drum bands, fun pool games where the winners received gold medallions, and smart DJ's that played good 70's and 80's music to keep people drinking and in a upbeat and social mood.

We hope all Princess cruises have not turned into a poolside book reading club. As we love the upscale feel and service, but don't want to be bored out of our minds either.

There's needs to be some compromise for those who want a little more activity and social atmosphere around the Neptune Pool, otherwise Princess will lose younger (35 -50) upscale cruisers to other, more proactive lines.

Besides, this will drive more revenue two ways - the selling of more drinks and additional Sanctuary revenue for those looking to read books in a quiet place

I agree with you.

Recently off Regal B2B.

There are really only 2 pool areas - MUTS and Retreat on Regal.

Retreat was quiet - no music when we visited a few times. perfect for a quiet reading spot. And its free. No need to pay for Sanctuary.

MUTS had the big pool and the plunge pool. We were there 8:30 am - 2pm on sea days. It was quiet early in the morning. There was an older movie playing on MUTS. Then the trivia would play on MUTS. Later the band would do a 45 min set. The music was "older". 70's would have been a relief honestly. Then the asst cruise director would being his laptop and DJ. Again, older tunes. The funny part was that MUTS still had trivia and some of the trivia was "music" but they muted MUTS so the trivia was useless.

At one point there was a zumba exercise class on the fountain stage and the asst CD was DJ'ing for that - he kept cutting off songs and the fitness instructors were having trouble keeping the class moving.

On the second week it was spring break in Ontario and elsewhere so there were a lot more families and 40- somethings ( we are mid 40's) rather than a lot older as on the first week.

The CD barely changed anything week to week. It wasn't until later in the week that the asst CD changed his DJ'ing pool music from 50's and 60's to 70's and 80's but he played a lot of really recent stuff too - maybe he thought he was entertaining the under 18's more than their parents?? The 70's and 80's stuff had people moving at the pool but he didnt dj that way for very long and so the vibe was gone quickly.

The asst CD looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him to play some Jimmy Buffet. Seriously? Its a Caribbean cruise!! JB used to be a staple on Princess by the pool!!! He didn't play any JB and the band sang ONE JB song - not by the pool that I heard, but instead in the piazza one night.

Both weeks they did "men's sexy legs" once.

The second week ( I didn't see this first week - maybe it was there and I missed it?) they did once a men vs women's pool games with various games including " collect the ping pong balls in your bathing suit". Every participant got a water bottle. No medals.

We never actually saw the CD anywhere. I wouldn't know who he was. Only saw the asst CD.

Maybe the CD was in Princess Live for the gameshows. But the new fishbowl type room makes it uncomfortable to walk in after its started ( like arriving at a class late- everyone looks at you) so we didn't walk in. Only once in 14 nights did we see a crowd in there. Every other night it was mostly empty. Plus in our opinion the chairs in there are horribly uncomfortable! We like the Explorer's lounge setup better.

Honestly we found that they did not adjust well to the change in demographic week to week. Almost like it surprised them !! The kids clubs had the exact same activities first week with under 100 kids as the second week with over 700. Our kids are 12 & 15 and they love Princess but were surprised at the lack of programming response to the greater numbers of kids. Again like they've never seen this before!!

The piazza music was mostly 40's and 50's both weeks. Folks danced, but surely the bands know more than the same 15 songs they played over and over.

We went to the Love boat disco deck party the first week - maybe 45 min of disco music with video of the old tv show cast dancing. The crew dancers put on a dance show on the fountain stage and around the deck and they kept letting passengers on the stage then clearing them off for the next song so they could perform. Very disjointed with the on and off and once it was over that was it. No more music so everyone just left. More of a show than a party. Surely they could have DJ'd after to let folks stay and dance? There was a late night party at the Retreat pool one nite but we did not go.

We've done a lot of Princess ( see signature) - during off peak times and peak ( Christmas and March break). We don't goto shows. We like peppy music by the pool and a good comedian at night. We aren't fussy. But, I can honestly say the old vibe is not there anymore.

I think Princess is positioning themselves towards a quieter demographic for sure. They don't seem to be at all interested in entertaining folks much.

Next cruise we are looking elsewhere.

Isn't a quiet atmosphere what The Sanctuary is trying to be? An alternative to the more active Neptune pool and MUTS in the Calypso pool?

That may be so, but the problem with the Sanctuary is that you have to pay for it (and of course the spa pool isn't actually in it). And the fact that it often gets booked up in the first few hours after embarkation suggests that there are plenty of cruisers looking for a 'boring' experience. How about having an extra charge lively pool on board as well? If you're expected to pay for peace and quiet, I don't see why you shouldn't be expected to pay for noise and entertainment as well!

Edited by aquilegia

How about having an extra charge lively pool on board as well? If you're expected to pay for peace and quiet, I don't see why you shouldn't be expected to pay for noise and entertainment as well!

Please don't give Princess any ideas.. :p

I agree with you.

Recently off Regal B2B.

There are really only 2 pool areas - MUTS and Retreat on Regal.

Retreat was quiet - no music when we visited a few times. perfect for a quiet reading spot. And its free. No need to pay for Sanctuary.

MUTS had the big pool and the plunge pool. We were there 8:30 am - 2pm on sea days. It was quiet early in the morning. There was an older movie playing on MUTS. Then the trivia would play on MUTS. Later the band would do a 45 min set. The music was "older". 70's would have been a relief honestly. Then the asst cruise director would being his laptop and DJ. Again, older tunes. The funny part was that MUTS still had trivia and some of the trivia was "music" but they muted MUTS so the trivia was useless.

At one point there was a zumba exercise class on the fountain stage and the asst CD was DJ'ing for that - he kept cutting off songs and the fitness instructors were having trouble keeping the class moving.

On the second week it was spring break in Ontario and elsewhere so there were a lot more families and 40- somethings ( we are mid 40's) rather than a lot older as on the first week.

The CD barely changed anything week to week. It wasn't until later in the week that the asst CD changed his DJ'ing pool music from 50's and 60's to 70's and 80's but he played a lot of really recent stuff too - maybe he thought he was entertaining the under 18's more than their parents?? The 70's and 80's stuff had people moving at the pool but he didnt dj that way for very long and so the vibe was gone quickly.

The asst CD looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him to play some Jimmy Buffet. Seriously? Its a Caribbean cruise!! JB used to be a staple on Princess by the pool!!! He didn't play any JB and the band sang ONE JB song - not by the pool that I heard, but instead in the piazza one night.

Both weeks they did "men's sexy legs" once.

The second week ( I didn't see this first week - maybe it was there and I missed it?) they did once a men vs women's pool games with various games including " collect the ping pong balls in your bathing suit". Every participant got a water bottle. No medals.

We never actually saw the CD anywhere. I wouldn't know who he was. Only saw the asst CD.

Maybe the CD was in Princess Live for the gameshows. But the new fishbowl type room makes it uncomfortable to walk in after its started ( like arriving at a class late- everyone looks at you) so we didn't walk in. Only once in 14 nights did we see a crowd in there. Every other night it was mostly empty. Plus in our opinion the chairs in there are horribly uncomfortable! We like the Explorer's lounge setup better.

Honestly we found that they did not adjust well to the change in demographic week to week. Almost like it surprised them !! The kids clubs had the exact same activities first week with under 100 kids as the second week with over 700. Our kids are 12 & 15 and they love Princess but were surprised at the lack of programming response to the greater numbers of kids. Again like they've never seen this before!!

The piazza music was mostly 40's and 50's both weeks. Folks danced, but surely the bands know more than the same 15 songs they played over and over.

We went to the Love boat disco deck party the first week - maybe 45 min of disco music with video of the old tv show cast dancing. The crew dancers put on a dance show on the fountain stage and around the deck and they kept letting passengers on the stage then clearing them off for the next song so they could perform. Very disjointed with the on and off and once it was over that was it. No more music so everyone just left. More of a show than a party. Surely they could have DJ'd after to let folks stay and dance? There was a late night party at the Retreat pool one nite but we did not go.

We've done a lot of Princess ( see signature) - during off peak times and peak ( Christmas and March break). We don't goto shows. We like peppy music by the pool and a good comedian at night. We aren't fussy. But, I can honestly say the old vibe is not there anymore.

I think Princess is positioning themselves towards a quieter demographic for sure. They don't seem to be at all interested in entertaining folks much.

Next cruise we are looking elsewhere.

Your thoughts make one wonder how does any cruise line play enough music to suit all age demographics on any cruise?

Sounds like Princess tried to please everyone since you heard music from the 40s to today. The fact that some things were redundant on a back to back is not unusual.

Edited by Mom33

What I will say is people that elect to go into a very busy public space and expect peace and quiet so they can read a book ( the single most isolating, anti- social activity I know) are certainly not my personality type.

Well, I guess you and I will never enjoy the same cruise since only pax who suit your personality type are who you wish to meet.

I prefer to improve my education and my mind by indulging in an 'isolating and anti-social activity' while I actually have free time afloat on the high seas - something that pool games and a Mariachi band are never going to achieve.

Your thoughts make one wonder how does any cruise line play enough music to suit all age demographics on any cruise?

Sounds like Princess tried to please everyone since you heard music from the 40s to today. The fact that some things were redundant on a back to back is not unusual.

There's always someone complaining about music: too much piano, not enough piano, too loud, not loud enough. Music, like food, is subjective. This fact escapes some people. (I know this because I read it in a book while I was being anti-social. ;)) Another thing I've noticed is that people will complain about "music from the 40s" when what they mean is anything they don't recognize from their own youth. I once heard someone complaining about all this "40s music" during a string quartet performance in the piazza. (Hey! How about some string quartet around the pool? :p)

Great post Cruisin' Chick,

My wife and I have also seen many seniors having a great time dancing and partying throughout our cruise history.

So it's not the age of a person but their personality type that makes a difference.

Most of us agree that good live music by the pool adds a lot of enjoyment during warm sea days.

I try and surround myself with active, positive and social people of which by meeting them will enhance my cruise experience and perhaps build long-term friendships

Now literacy is anti-social. I don't think anyone here has suggested music should be banned from the pools. YOU are the one who equated the quieter atmosphere to a "book club." Since I am a reader and not a pool-partier, I guess I'm not the "active, positive and social" type who "will enhance your cruise experience." Maybe I'll go get me a copy of that book by the most famous CD on Princess and go read it somewhere I won't risk disturbing your "build[ing] long-term friendships" with those of your persuasion.

I don't get the anti-reading crowd. While deciding on what to pack, a major decision for me is which two or three paperback books to bring (yes, seriously) as well as word puzzle magazine. I use a small backpack purse on board to carry the magazine or one of the books, sunscreen, my camera. Yes, I will carry on a conversation with my fellow cruisers on the pool deck or while dining in the Horizon for lunch. But if alone, I will be reading a chick lit book or a Cornwell/Grafton/Kellerman type of thriller. I don't care if that brings down the party mood of the anti-book crowd. But I don't think that makes the "public areas" boring for me to read or to listen to music.

On most ships there is room for everybody. Like on the Crown, those that like to lay around the pool and read in peace and quiet have the pool in the back of the boat - or any number of inside locations. Those that like a little action have the middle pools - MUTS, ice carving, games, bar activity etc. Princess has to serve a diverse pool of people and has to balance the needs of everyone.

I was on the Crown last year for 2 weeks. The first week was great. Plenty of people by the pools. Nice and quiet in the afternoon. People of allergies dozing in the sun, reading quietly talking, etc.

Second week, we had a big group (around 1000 people) show up. These people were heavy drinkers (I mean Princess lost money on their drink plan with these guys). I avoided the pool area like the plague. There were reports of drunks doing cannonballs into the pool-I mean 6 big guys at once!

Who knows what else was going on up there. I was glad that I have no idea.

I like an afternoon movie on muts, maybe a little music too. But peace and quiet can't be beat.....

I don't get the anti-reading crowd. ...But I don't think that makes the "public areas" boring for me to read or to listen to music.

After 30-some years of teaching college, I have formed some ideas about the anti-reading crowd. I encountered plenty of them over the years. "You want me to read this WHOLE book?" Sometimes it was a lack of reading skills. (Yes, you can get to college without being able to read very well. Sad but true.) Sometimes it was the chore of having to do something other than party all night. For whatever reason, the best way, it seemed, to avoid reading was to dismiss reading as anything important. It is obvious when reading what someone writes whether or not he or she is a reader. This attitude toward reading is something "of which by" reinforces the idea that someone who wrote a book must be famous, indeed "the most famous."

All replies have been really in favor of a quiet and boring pool atmosphere with little or no entertainment.

I can definitely tell you that's not how it used to be on the Princess Caribbean cruises we had taken in the past.

They had steel drum bands, fun pool games where the winners received gold medallions, and smart DJ's that played good 70's and 80's music to keep people drinking and in a upbeat and social mood.

We hope all Princess cruises have not turned into a poolside book reading club. As we love the upscale feel and service, but don't want to be bored out of our minds either.

There's needs to be some compromise for those who want a little more activity and social atmosphere around the Neptune Pool, otherwise Princess will lose younger (35 -50) upscale cruisers to other, more proactive lines.

Besides, this will drive more revenue two ways - the selling of more drinks and additional Sanctuary revenue for those looking to read books in a quiet place

I like the peace and quiet most of the time. As for the 70's and 80's music mentioned above... I don't find that to be the case. I tend to find that the DJ staff plays music that's more from the 90's or 2000's and it's not music I like. It's really annoying to have a DJ playing loud music that is more suitable for a much younger crowd than is generally found on Princess.

I'm only 62 but I like being able to read quietly without a bunch of loud, bad music. A good steel band on a Caribbean cruise might be nice part of the time though. We took a cruise to Hawaii and never once heard any Hawaiian music on the ship. I thought that was a bit odd but then the CD was JJ Ulrich so I guess that explains things.

I do like live music by the pool, I don't care for some of the games offered, but I don't begrudge anyone having a good time playing. I think Princess does a good job of balancing outdoor activity at the pools. When its a holiday cruise and the demographics are younger, I think they cater to the passengers on board. We all have our preferences and a bit of "going with the flow" makes a good cruise into a great cruise!

Just judging by the responses to the comment about reading you may not be doing that with some of the folks on this thread. :cool:

Just judging by the responses to the comment about reading you may not be doing that with some of the folks on this thread. :cool:

It probably boils down to the old introvert vs extrovert discussion. I would place good money on the idea that people who read in highly public and social areas such as the Neptune Pool are by the vast majority introverted. Preferring to isolate themselves in a good book rather than interacting with others or taking in the social scene.

Whereas I'm an extrovert who enjoys an upbeat, social atmosphere with energetic music, good drinks, and the ability to easily meet others.

There's certainly nothing wrong with reading, and I do it often. But I typically wait until my wife's gone to bed to engage in such a solitary activity

I agree with many that have said with 3-4 pools aboard there should be room to please both types

That being said, the Neptune Pool should be the natural place for music and activities throughout a warm sea day, while the back pool or sanctuary is ideal for quiet reading and relaxing

I am upscale and in the 35-50 age bracket. Give me quiet and relaxing any day. I don't particularly like hairy chest contests and drunken musical chairs at the best of times and appreciate not having that on Princess....just not the cruiseline for those activities and that is why many people choose princess.

I think variety between the cruiselines is a good thing.

I am upscale and in the 35-50 age bracket. Give me quiet and relaxing any day. I don't particularly like hairy chest contests and drunken musical chairs at the best of times and appreciate not having that on Princess....just not the cruiseline for those activities and that is why many people choose princess.

I think variety between the cruiselines is a good thing.

Exactly!

Maybe Carnival is what the OP is searching for?

Both DH and I are avid readers and our idea of a great cruise being able to sit on a comfortable sunlounger and read, somewhere where we can gaze at the ocean when we want a break from reading, and hear the sound of the ship moving through the water. That's one of the things (other than port calls) that makes a cruise special compared to a holiday resort IMHO.

We love good music in the evenings, either just for listening to or for dancing to, but prefer to have quiet spots to sit in during the day.