What is YOUR pet peeve, when flying in economy?

DonRobertoSanJuan

I read someone's post about their pet peeve when flying and I thought it might be nice to hear other people's frustrations :eek:

Here are mine: 1 bathroom use, Why do so many people run to the bathrooms as soon as the plane has taken off and keep on going and going and going. Don't they know there are bathrooms at the airport that are much more comfortable and mostly cleaner as well. We always make sure to go just before boarding and seldom need to use that tiny, filthy bathroom on the plane.

2. Parents with young children who let them get out of control and bother other passengers by either screaming or pushing the seats in front of them, or worse...as on my last flight, parents who change their babies diapers in the cabin, instead of the bathroom. Disgusting.:(

3. People who feel that they need to drag all their luggage into the cabin, using all overhead space and holding up the boarding process and de-planing.:mad:

I read someone's post about their pet peeve when flying and I thought it might be nice to hear other people's frustrations :eek:

Here are mine: 1 bathroom use, Why do so many people run to the bathrooms as soon as the plane has taken off and keep on going and going and going. Don't they know there are bathrooms at the airport that are much more comfortable and mostly cleaner as well. We always make sure to go just before boarding and seldom need to use that tiny, filthy bathroom on the plane.

2. Parents with young children who let them get out of control and bother other passengers by either screaming or pushing the seats in front of them, or worse...as on my last flight, parents who change their babies diapers in the cabin, instead of the bathroom. Disgusting.:(

3. People who feel that they need to drag all their luggage into the cabin, using all overhead space and holding up the boarding process and de-planing.:mad:

Agree with all your points 100% - children should have there own airline icon10.gif

People who believe carry on limits exist for other people only, and insist on schlepping on way more than they are supposed to.... a rollaboard bag that clearly exceeds the size limits, and a roller briefcase that cannot possibly fit under the seat, and a big purse or tote bag, etc. Likewise, the gate agents who do not enforce the rules on the front end.

People who wear strong cologne, or have their music cranked so loud I can hear it, even though they are wearing headphones.

People who are so important, that not only can they not turn off their phone, but continue to talk so loudly they drown out the FA trying to give the safety demonstration.

Bathroom use - I'm a nervous flyer so between that, pressure changes and not knowing if you're going to be able to use the bathroom later on, I probably go more often than really necessary. Any port in a storm, so to speak.

Kids - don't have any and certainly don't envy anyone who has to travel with young ones. They are more susceptible to pressure changes and boredom so I understand why they act up and it does test my patience but there isn't really much that can be done. On one flight, there was a developmentally delayed girl sitting behind me. Her poor mother looked exhausted and her father was trying to drink his way through the plane's liquor supply. At one point, the girl jumped up out of her seat and smacked me on top of my head, scared the hell out of me. My patience ended there, but aside from giving the mother a dirty look, there wasn't much I could do. The mother tightened her daughter's seat belt and it was a quiet flight after that.

Carry ons - I make sure my carry ons are within the limit but agree some people do push the limits and a lot of the time don't get stopped by the staff. On my last flight, this woman dragged on a huge carry on and the FA said to her, how did you get that past check in.? She just smiled and mumbled something, so he dragged it to the back of the plane and must have managed to find a place to stuff it, since we didn't see it come back again.

I don't think I have any specific pet peeves aside from people who don't respect other people's space and property. I was reading a magazine that I had brought on a flight, when I was done reading the article I put it in the pocket to read more later and someone sitting behind me leapt forward and grabbed it. I took it back from him, telling him that it was my magazine, not one from the airline and I wasn't done with it. He gave me attitude but it wasn't his to take and I told him so. It may sound petty, but I made sure I took it off the plane with me.

Since I try to not fly cattle class on any flight longer than 2 hours:

1) The obese person who feels she/he is entitled to put up the armrest and take over half of my seat.

2) The idiot who believes carryon rules do not apply to her/him. And, those who put their carryon either in the Business class overheads or the very first Coach overhead because they don't want to lug it any further (thus depriving those sitting there any nearby carryon space).

3) The family of 12 who has ONE child under 2 years old who believes that entitles the ENTIRE family to pre-board, not just one parent and child.

4) The idiot parents who bring a lap child because they are too cheap to buy a seat for their child to ensure the the child's safety (rather than turning the kid into a potential missile)

5) The idiot parents who let their lap child squirm and kick the entire flight.

6) People who wear cologne/perfume and sit either in my row or the row in front or behind me.

7) People who need to use deodorant and sit either in my row or the row in front or behind me.

8) LDS missionary kids who feel the need to try out their newly-learned proselytizing speech on me (gotta fly out of SLC for that one ;) )

9) The people who ask me to give up my reserved aisle seat for a middle seat in the back of the plane so they can sit next to their spouse/child/etc., because they forgot to reserve their seats in advance (or did not bother to keep checking that their reserved seats were not changed).

10) The person who did not have time to eat before boarding, so they brought their nasty-looking/smelling food onboard and decide to eat it next to me.

I could go on...:D

Edited by slidergirl

8) LDS missionary kids who feel the need to try out their newly-learned proselytizing speech on me (gotta fly out of SLC for that one ;) )

Suggested solution when going out of SLC (or elsewhere)....put the earbuds in the ears as you are boarding the flight. Don't need to have them turned on, but having them already there let's you play "I can't hear you" from the very start of the flight. And since the FAA has green-lighted gate-to-gate electronics, you are good to go!!

For those of you complaining about overhead space in coach, try flying first or business on Etihad or Qatar on one of the Europe to the Middle East flights. Ladies who shop-many, many shopping bags, suitcases, fancy giant oversized purses, etc. etc. I have been on 3 flights (one Kuwait Air from LHR to KWI) where there literally was NO space in the overheads in first or business.

On an Etihad flight, royal p***ing contest with some lady who actually had the nerve to have her maid take my roller out of the overhead so she could put all of her shopping bags in there. She's cussing me out in Arabic (I know just enough Arabic to know the cuss words) and I am screaming at her in English. She probably had 7 bags and the maid had an additional 7 or 8, all stuffed to the max. FA, who was from the UAE, was deferring heavily to the lady.

I finally started walking up toward the cockpit to get some help. They gate checked my bag and then when we landed in Abu Dhabi, they made the entire plane wait while they retrieved my bag and brought it to me-actually to my seat, not just in the jet way (wish they would have left it in the jet way). And Etihad gave me a voucher for the Ritz for one night for my "inconvenience" which I was able to exchange for one night at the Ritz in Dubai. Not a bad trade for "inconvenience". Always wondered if that lady was part of the royal family. I thought they all flew private.

Otherwise, everything slidergirl posted except the LDS students out of SLC (haven't been through SLC for years) is right at the top of my list.

Suggested solution when going out of SLC (or elsewhere)....put the earbuds in the ears as you are boarding the flight. Don't need to have them turned on, but having them already there let's you play "I can't hear you" from the very start of the flight. And since the FAA has green-lighted gate-to-gate electronics, you are good to go!!

I put on the Bose right away. But, it is a hint for those flying out of SLC in general ;) Fortunately, any flight under 2 hours from SLC where the "brothers and sisters" are likely to be also flying is to LAX. The rest of the flights, I don't find them in Business...

Edited by slidergirl

That airlines charge you for alcohol on international flights on United for instance. Come on you already paid almost 2 Grand for the flight feed us steak, potatoes, good wine, beer, liquor , Ice Cream Sundaes and a good breakfast.

Its so sad that we can get a 2 week trans atlantic cruise for less than airline tickets or even around the same cost and get fed better, have places up on deck to travel.

I would much rather be in an inside cabin then stuck in the last row of coach. Heck cruiselines don't charge for bags, they deliver your bags and you are served in the Main Dining Room.

I have had better meals onboard cruiseships than flying.

I think I should find cruises across the ocean rather than flying. If i really had to fly it would be on Lufthansa where in Coach they serve you better food and wine, liquor beer are included in your fare.

Its so sad that we can get a 2 week trans atlantic cruise for less than airline tickets or even around the same cost and get fed better, have places up on deck to travel.

You say this as though you're surprised. Last time I checked an oceanliner doesn't cross the Atlantic in 6hrs and isn't a flying restaurant either.

Speed costs money...even in the airliner world where a premium economy sized seat on Concorde ran to $8000 oneway between NY and London, and that was more than 10yrs ago. 3hrs versus 6hrs.

Thanks everyone. It sure makes me feel better that I am not the only one having problems with inconsiderate passengers on planes. I was starting to feel lonely already. As for taking children on (long) flights, parents seem to forget that THEY are responsible for their children and must keep them from bothering other passengers. The kids are not the problem, the parents are.

Since I try to not fly cattle class on any flight longer than 2 hours:

1) The obese person who feels she/he is entitled to put up the armrest and take over half of my seat.

2) The idiot who believes carryon rules do not apply to her/him. And, those who put their carryon either in the Business class overheads or the very first Coach overhead because they don't want to lug it any further (thus depriving those sitting there any nearby carryon space).

3) The family of 12 who has ONE child under 2 years old who believes that entitles the ENTIRE family to pre-board, not just one parent and child.

4) The idiot parents who bring a lap child because they are too cheap to buy a seat for their child to ensure the the child's safety (rather than turning the kid into a potential missile)

5) The idiot parents who let their lap child squirm and kick the entire flight.

6) People who wear cologne/perfume and sit either in my row or the row in front or behind me.

7) People who need to use deodorant and sit either in my row or the row in front or behind me.

9) The people who ask me to give up my reserved aisle seat for a middle seat in the back of the plane so they can sit next to their spouse/child/etc., because they forgot to reserve their seats in advance (or did not bother to keep checking that their reserved seats were not changed).

10) The person who did not have time to eat before boarding, so they brought their nasty-looking/smelling food onboard and decide to eat it next to me.

I could go on...:D

Did you forget "people who travel second class because they're second class people compared with me"? It's nice to have the money, but you don't have to have the attitude with it.

Did you forget "people who travel second class because they're second class people compared with me"? It's nice to have the money, but you don't have to have the attitude with it.

Where did that comment come from???

I am sure slidergirl can defend herself but those of us that fly on a pretty regular basis would certainly agree with most of her list.

Kids are a BIG problem on planes. A lot of parents think the FA and other passengers are babysitters. Just flew back from our office in NYC a week ago. A family that was two rows (first class) behind me had a baby that SCREAMED the entire flight and a toddler that was crawling under everyone's seat. They were going to Disneyland and let everyone know. They did absolutely NOTHING to contain the toddler-just let him go even though two or three people made comments to them. And they could have quieted the baby down somehow. They kept sticking the pacifier in his mouth. They should have got up and walked him around.

All I kept thinking-they got award tickets, only had enough miles to get two and managed to get two kids on the plane as lap kids. I was always under the impression you didn't get lap kids with an award ticket but guess I was wrong.

So you either have "entitled" people or like you said "second class citizens". You make the choice when passengers act like that.

Hope that wasn't directed at me. I use my frequent flyer miles that I've accumulated over the years (either via BIS or credit card buys) to either "buy" or upgrade to Business. I make under $20/hr at my job. Defintely don't have the money…

Now, if you are talking about the Kryptonium Medallion people who gripe and moan because they didn't get their "entitled" upgrade from bargain basement coach into Business and want everyone around them to know that they SHOULD NOT be sitting in the back with the Great Unwashed, then, yes, I agree with you ;)

That airlines charge you for alcohol on international flights on United for instance. Come on you already paid almost 2 Grand for the flight feed us steak, potatoes, good wine, beer, liquor , Ice Cream Sundaes and a good breakfast.

What are you speaking of? You are always bragging about the CHEAP airfare you get from Choice Air and EZ Air and what a great deal it is. There are three or four threads where you have bragged about your cheap air. Below is one of them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185521

So what do you want? You purchase the rock bottom cheapest, then expect steak, GOOD wine, beer, liquor. A large percentage of airlines serve free beer and wine (don't know how good it is because I am not a wine drinker) on international flights. But a large percentage of those MAY NOT be the cheapest or are not sold on Choice Air/EZ Air. Here's a pretty good list of airlines that serve at least free beer and wine on international flights.

http://maphappy.org/2012/07/wine-the-ultimate-list-of-airlines-that-serve-free-alcohol/

Now, if you are talking about the Kryptonium Medallion people who gripe and moan because they didn't get their "entitled" upgrade from bargain basement coach into Business and want everyone around them to know that they SHOULD NOT be sitting in the back with the Great Unwashed, then, yes, I agree with you ;)

Are you speaking about me? I AM ENTITLED and pretty much a diva.

Pet peeve? People with aisle seats who believe that the aisle is their "personal space" to spread their legs into. In reality, many people end up bumping their legs just to get up and down the aisle. But it is a pain to try and avoid kicking/bumping into their legs.

Kids who kick. We were flying transcontinental and before we were off the ground Pete was getting his seat back kicked hard. A few minutes later the vibrations were coming my way. I am usually fairly quiet but enough was too much...I turned around and shouted HEY YOU!!!WHAT THE HE** ARE YOU DOING?. Probably the first time someone had scolded them. A lady a couple rows back blamed me for picking on the little angels and volunteered to swap seats. I don't know if her husband enjoyed being a martyr along with her.

Steve

It seems like an overgeneralization about kids on planes in this thread, I have two kids who are very well behaved on a plane. You wouldn't likely know they were there, I always make sure they have plenty of activities, snacks and their iPads with headphones.

There are well behaved children with attentive parents...if kids are a bother it's likely the parents not being attentive.

My pet peeves are-

* People who bring fast food on board, it stinks!!

* people who stand for most of the flight, I find it unnerving.

* People talking on cell phones, don't they know it is annoying to listen to a one sided conversation?

But until I own a private jet...LOL! I will continue to be an empathetic human being :)

Lots of peeves here and I don't disagree with most of them.

Kids can potentially be very noisy, however, in the past 5 flights, I have not faced that problem.

To put things in a more positive light, I am just glad that I get to fly often on holidays (in Economy) and the experiences have been generally ok. Much happier to be going on a holiday!

Economy experience on SIA isn't too bad.

[YOUTUBE]9DQ1rE2-T8Q[/YOUTUBE]

Emirates has a great product in Economy too. Their IFE system is fantastic.

[YOUTUBE]4DUkv4aihuU[/YOUTUBE]

Even Swiss International wasn't too bad.

[YOUTUBE]HyTZjHBnKYU[/YOUTUBE]

Lots of peeves here and I don't disagree with most of them.

Kids can potentially be very noisy, however, in the past 5 flights, I have not faced that problem.

To put things in a more positive light, I am just glad that I get to fly often on holidays (in Economy) and the experiences have been generally ok. Much happier to be going on a holiday!

Economy experience on SIA isn't too bad.

9DQ1rE2-T8Q

Emirates has a great product in Economy too. Their IFE system is fantastic.

4DUkv4aihuU

Even Swiss International wasn't too bad.

HyTZjHBnKYU

Great video - I am flying Singapore in November to Australia for our cruise & back from Auckland. I managed to get the extra legroom seats in the upstairs economy cabin which I think are really good so along with my star alliance gold card for the lounges I am looking forward to the flight.

Great video - I am flying Singapore in November to Australia for our cruise & back from Auckland. I managed to get the extra legroom seats in the upstairs economy cabin which I think are really good so along with my star alliance gold card for the lounges I am looking forward to the flight.

Have a great flight. Do try the Singapore Sling when flying SIA. :):)