What is YOUR pet peeve, when flying in economy?

DonRobertoSanJuan

Other people's children can be annoying, but they need to be given something of a pass - as long as the parents show reasonable effort to control them. Just as you should give someone who is physicall handicapped a bit of leeway, you should realize that small children are not fully developed socially - and none of us were either when we were three.

Agree with you here.

My key complaint, however, is the person who brings a rolling duffel, a "small" back pack and three shopping bags and hogs overhead storage ---- and then goes on Cruise Critic to boast about taking a 12 day cruise following a week of land travel with "just carryons". Yeah - we know how you are able to do it.

Perhaps you aren't able to do so, but I assure you I routinely travel with my crossbody and 20" wheeled bag--and nothing else. Actually I lie. I boarded a recent flight home from LHR with a paperback tucked under my arm as well. It would have fit into my carry on, but then I would have had to dig it out again before I sat down. Not that it mattered, with only four passengers in the first class section, there was plenty of available overhead space. ;)

Other people's children can be annoying, but they need to be given something of a pass - as long as the parents show reasonable effort to control them. Just as you should give someone who is physicall handicapped a bit of leeway, you should realize that small children are not fully developed socially - and none of us were either when we were three.

My key complaint, however, is the person who brings a rolling duffel, a "small" back pack and three shopping bags and hogs overhead storage ---- and then goes on Cruise Critic to boast about taking a 12 day cruise following a week of land travel with "just carryons". Yeah - we know how you are able to do it.

I'll give rugrats a pass IF the parents are controlling them. Those who allow their kids to kick my seat, pull on my hair, make no effort to get the kid to stop screaming, well….

As for the "carryon" thing: there IS something called "duty free" and those bags are allowed. But, mine either go under the seat or on top of my overhead bag (because my carryon is not overstuffed) ;) Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that those of us who travel carryon style are cheating. But, when someone is bringing their 22" roller, their huge business briefcase and shove them side-by-side in the overhead, OR bring the roller and the "tote bag" that is as large as the roller - that is another story

Edited by slidergirl

The noise canceling headphones are the best gift you can give yourself. Babies and young children's ears start hurting that's why they cry. Those headphones are golden. Also lots of times families travel on package deals where you are unable to prearrange your seat choices. It's up to the airlines to make it worth it to the other pax to switch. On JetBlue I was asked to take the emergency row which has more room. Other airlines should offer economy plus or even business class if the seats are open

I'll give rugrats a pass IF the parents are controlling them. Those who allow their kids to kick my seat, pull on my hair, make no effort to get the kid to stop screaming, well….

As for the "carryon" thing: there IS something called "duty free" and those bags are allowed. But, mine either go under the seat or on top of my overhead bag (because my carryon is not overstuffed) ;) Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that those of us who travel carryon style are cheating. But, when someone is bringing their 22" roller, their huge business briefcase and shove them side-by-side in the overhead, OR bring the roller and the "tote bag" that is as large as the roller - that is another story

As far as I'm concerned, if the "small personal item" can fit under the seat (and is placed there), the overall size of it shouldn't matter.

What makes "duty free" sacrosanct? A carry-on and a personal item means A carry-on and A personal item -- there is no reference to "also as many duty free bags as you want".

I can, and often do, travel with just carry-on. That means one carry-on and one personal item - but I bite the bullet and check a bag when one carry-on plus one personal item are not sufficient. There are too many who feel entitled to "push the envelope" -- (call that "expandable bag").

What makes "duty free" sacrosanct? A carry-on and a personal item means A carry-on and A personal item -- there is no reference to "also as many duty free bags as you want".

I can, and often do, travel with just carry-on. That means one carry-on and one personal item - but I bite the bullet and check a bag when one carry-on plus one personal item are not sufficient. There are too many who feel entitled to "push the envelope" -- (call that "expandable bag").

If the duty free bag can fit under the seat with the small personal item, who cares?

In fact it's actually pretty stupid to limit to one personal item. It should be bring as many little bits and bobs as you want, as long as they can all fit under the seat in front of you.

If the duty free bag can fit under the seat with the small personal item, who cares?

In fact it's actually pretty stupid to limit to one personal item. It should be bring as many little bits and bobs as you want, as long as they can all fit under the seat in front of you.

"Size" is a relative concept, where "number" is concrete. One carry-on, not to exceed certain dimensions, and one personal item , presumably smaller, is a guideline readily enforced. Allowing numerous personal items invites the sort of abuse we have all experienced.

"Size" is a relative concept, where "number" is concrete. One carry-on, not to exceed certain dimensions, and one personal item , presumably smaller, is a guideline readily enforced. Allowing numerous personal items invites the sort of abuse we have all experienced.

Using your logic, people with a cup of coffee, a small handbag, and a bag with People Magazine from Hudson News would be exceeding the guidelines. Fortunately gate agents generally have a little common sense.

Using your logic, people with a cup of coffee, a small handbag, and a bag with People Magazine from Hudson News would be exceeding the guidelines. Fortunately gate agents generally have a little common sense.

Don't be stupid. You know what I was talking about - and if you have, in fact, flown as much as you say you have you would have seen enough occurrences where passengers have boarded with multiple bulky "personal items" in addition to over-stuffed "carry-ons" and used them to occupy far more than a reasonable share of overhead storage.

Actually some domestic flights also offer warm nuts in first.

Wow, didn't realize that. What airlines? I mostly fly Delta, but within the last 5-10 years have also been on domestic flights on UA, WN, and AA and don't recall warm nuts on any of them

I agree it's annoying, but the DL site makes no mention of a limit on duty free items. It simply states that duty free merchandise does not count as a personal item and is a "freebie." Same with food/drink purchased air side, jackets, umbrellas, and things like strollers and crutches.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

No idea what other airlines specifically say about duty free items.

Wow, didn't realize that. What airlines? I mostly fly Delta, but within the last 5-10 years have also been on domestic flights on UA, WN, and AA and don't recall warm nuts on any of them

Alaska Airlines

I agree it's annoying, but the DL site makes no mention of a limit on duty free items. It simply states that duty free merchandise does not count as a personal item and is a "freebie." Same with food/drink purchased air side, jackets, umbrellas, and things like strollers and crutches.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

No idea what other airlines specifically say about duty free items.

Since I fly almost exclusively Delta and SkyTeam, this is why I made mention of the duty free. I can always fit a few bottles of wine under the seat or on top of my carryon bag (not always a roller).

Ducklite: Not talking about you, but when a big tote bag that some women bring on board is as big as their carry on, then that is no longer a personal item, but a second carry on and one of the two should be checked...

Since I fly almost exclusively Delta and SkyTeam, this is why I made mention of the duty free. I can always fit a few bottles of wine under the seat or on top of my carryon bag (not always a roller).

Ducklite: Not talking about you, but when a big tote bag that some women bring on board is as big as their carry on, then that is no longer a personal item, but a second carry on and one of the two should be checked...

As long as it can fit under the seat, I don't see a problem with it. I'd also point out that some carry on's are on the smaller side, so it's all relevant.

As for the warm nuts, if you getting those in business class it's because you are on an international flight. If that's the case, not only will you get nuts (or pretzels) in economy, you'll get an entire meal. Won't be the same as the one served in biz, but then again you didn't pay quite the same amount for your flight as those folks did, did you? Stands to reason they should get some things the folks in coach don't get. ;)

She only answered to this where you wrote that if you get warm nuts in business class, you are on an international flight and Tucson-Dallas is not an international flight.

Edited by sverigecruiser

On British Airways, their website specifically states that duty free bags must be placed in the passenger's carry on or personal bag.

Personally, I'm a little paranoid about my carry on/personal bags, I make sure they are under the recommended dimensions & weight. I can't call it a pet peeve, but it would be one if I was harassed about checking my carry on because the airline staff let too many people bring carry ons that were too large and hog up all the storage. If you push the limit, you should be prepared to accept the consequences.

I always pre-book my seats, even if I have to pay for it, so I wouldn't give up my seat for someone who can't be bothered and expects me to just let them have what they want. Sorry, but you snooze, you lose. :cool:

She only answered to this where you wrote that if you get warm nuts in business class, you are on an international flight and Tucson-Dallas is not an international flight.

Geez, not enough coffee for me yet this morning. Mea culpa. Is the Tucson-Dallas flight really configured for business class, or does AA serve warm nuts on all domestic first flights? I don't generally fly AA but am curious.

Geez, not enough coffee for me yet this morning. Mea culpa. Is the Tucson-Dallas flight really configured for business class, or does AA serve warm nuts on all domestic first flights? I don't generally fly AA but am curious.

It's hit or miss with nuts being warmed on AA domestic first. It just depends on the cabin crew and catering.

My pet peeves:

1.) When the already arduous boarding process comes to a halt (usually right as I am about to set foot on the aircraft) so that the flight attendants can serve beverages to the already seated and comfortable "first class" passengers. Why can't they wait for beverages like the rest of us, rather than inconveniencing those who are simply trying to get onboard?

2.) When the flight attendants continuously request that "coats and jackets not be stowed in the overhead bins, in an effort to make room for everyone's carry on luggage? Sorry, but if I've checked a bag and only have a personal "fits under the seat" item and a coat, then my coat IS my carry on as far as I'm concerned and I am entitled to use overhead bin space for it.

I feel better now. :D

Edited by welove2cruise2014

My pet peeves:

1.) When the already arduous boarding process comes to a halt (usually right as I am about to set foot on the aircraft) so that the flight attendants can serve beverages to the already seated and comfortable "first class" passengers. Why can't they wait for beverages like the rest of us, rather than inconveniencing those who are simply trying to get onboard?

2.) When the flight attendants continuously request that "coats and jackets not be stowed in the overhead bins, in an effort to make room for everyone's carry on luggage? Sorry, but if I've checked a bag and only have a personal "fits under the seat" item and a coat, then my coat IS my carry on as far as I'm concerned and I am entitled to use overhead bin space for it.

I can recall when the flight attendants used to take your coats and hang them up for you in a closet. Even in coach.

My pet peeves:

1. Because they pay a premium that actually helps subsidize the economy fares. You might want to avoid BA, they hold economy passengers from leaving the plane until the First class is off--even if economy is closer to the exit. Considering a first class ticket runs around $20K and an economy ticket can be had for around $1100 for the same flight, you get what you pay for.

2. The better option is to wait until boarding is complete and then put your coat in the overhead on top of other items. Otherwise it's going to end up a mess with everyone's stuff on top of it.

Edited by ducklite

My pet peeve is people who can't figure out where their seat is. How dumb can you be to not be able to look at the clearly marked numbers and letters over every seat and figure out which one is yours?

Edited by ducklite