What is YOUR pet peeve, when flying in economy?

DonRobertoSanJuan

greatam and 6rugrats - thanks for your replies.

There are lots of comparisons that you can do on published seat maps on websites like seatguru.com where you can see how many business class seats can be put into a particular aircraft space in one configuration, and how many economy class seats can be put into the same space in a different configuration of the same aircraft type.

-This is an excellent idea, I was not sure if their maps are truly up to scale but checking different configurations of the same aircraft solves the puzzle!

• 2 weeks later...

Animals in the cabin, ie small dogs/cats in a bag.

IMHO they should go in the cargo hold just like larger dogs. . There are a number of airlines moving in this direction. Cannot be too soon for me.

Far too much pandering to people who do not understand the difference between a human being and a pet.

I think therapy pets are a bunch of nonsense, but in any event store them with the rest of the cargo and treat them for what they are-animals.

Edited by iancal

Animals in the cabin, ie small dogs/cats in a bag.

IMHO they should go in the cargo hold just like larger dogs. . There are a number of airlines moving in this direction. Cannot be too soon for me.

Far too much pandering to people who do not understand the difference between a human being and a pet.

I think therapy pets are a bunch of nonsense, but in any event store them with the rest of the cargo and treat them for what they are-animals.

I've met many people who I would store in the hold as well icon10.gif Being an animal lover I would rather sit next to my dog on a flight rather than some overweight person who has only paid for 1 seat yet half of his body seems to take over my seat. I would do what they do in Asia & weigh you & your luggage before a flight icon7.gif

We love dogs BUT neither of us would not want to have a dog, other than a service animal, in the cabin.

Therapy dogs....forget it. Get a soother, a teddy bear, or a pet rock but put your animal in the baggage hold.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a thin person. However, I can fit my body in the confines of my coach seat. My pet peeve is that I have flown with people who cannot. I know this is a touchy issue. However, if I have to fly in coach and have someone's body cover 1/4 to 1/2 of mine while I fly, I think something needs to be done. I flew from Wisconsin to California in a middle seat with a guy to my left who was obese. His stomach, thighs, etc were covering my left side the whole flight. I tried to get a little relief my seating forward in my seat. It was slightly better. Flying 5 hours like that was miserable. I literally felt like I was going to go out of my mind. I had to keep doing deep breathing exercises for the 5 hours. Funny, when we landed the guy to my left said, "I know it must have been a little difficult for you traveling with two large men" He was referring to himself and a guy to the right. The guy to the right had broad shoulders but never took up space in my seat. I wanted to scream at this guy but just walked away.

I sure wish there was a solution to this sort of problem. Now, I try not to fly unless I can fly first class or have a definite guarantee of an aisle seat.

My pet peeve is obese individuals who fly coach, don't fit in the seat, and refuse to purchase a second seat.

I really wish the airlines would require their gate agents and flight attendants actually enforce their COS rules. They have the rules - if a COS can't fit between the arm rests, they have to upgrade or buy an extra seat. In reality, many airlines don't enforce if a person just spills over a little bit and their neighbor is expected to such it up.

We love dogs BUT neither of us would not want to have a dog, other than a service animal, in the cabin.

Therapy dogs....forget it. Get a soother, a teddy bear, or a pet rock but put your animal in the baggage hold.

Understood....just don't assume that because the owner isn't blind that its a therapy dog rather than a service dog. Service dogs are now used for problems such as epilepsy, autism and diabetes, because they can sense an impending seizure or shock based on changes in smell emanating from the owner, and in cases such as violent episodes relating to autism the dog can actually prevent the autistic person from harming himself or others by physical restraint.

Bottom line, you have no way of knowing whether a dog is a therapy dog or a service dog, and in some states such as NY no one is allowed to ask due to medical privacy statutes.

Yes, agree people often mistake a seizure alert dog for a therapy dog.We flew my husband's son, who is an epileptic, and family to WWD last year .He brought his service dog on with him and you could see some people were a bit skeptical but believe me this dog can provide him with such early warning of a seizure that he no longer has to wear a helmet.

Yes, agree people often mistake a seizure alert dog for a therapy dog.We flew my husband's son, who is an epileptic, and family to WWD last year .He brought his service dog on with him and you could see some people were a bit skeptical but believe me this dog can provide him with such early warning of a seizure that he no longer has to wear a helmet.

When I was on the QE2 there was a passenger who had a whippet that could tell when she was about to go into diabetic shock. That was where I first learned about service dogs other than the seeing-eye variety. Then later I had an autistic child client with some large breed of dog, I think it was a Newfie, who would keep the child against the wall if he had a violent outburst.

I wouldn't worry about the skeptic looks..... think of how much worse the looks would be if he had a seizure. It's great that the dog keeps him from needing the helmet which can be pretty stigmatizing not to mention inconvenient when traveling.

My pet peeve is people who carry on multiple bags, bumping all the seated passengers with them as they go down the aisle and then cramming said bags into the overhead locker, so that there is insufficient room for my one bag.

Understood....just don't assume that because the owner isn't blind that its a therapy dog rather than a service dog. Service dogs are now used for problems such as epilepsy, autism and diabetes, because they can sense an impending seizure or shock based on changes in smell emanating from the owner, and in cases such as violent episodes relating to autism the dog can actually prevent the autistic person from harming himself or others by physical restraint.

Bottom line, you have no way of knowing whether a dog is a therapy dog or a service dog, and in some states such as NY no one is allowed to ask due to medical privacy statutes.

In ALL states they are allowed to ask:

Does the dog perform a specific task relayed to a disability?

What is the specific task the dog is trained to do?

You may not ask what the disability is.

That is the Federal law.

In ALL states they are allowed to ask:

Does the dog perform a specific task relayed to a disability?

What is the specific task the dog is trained to do?

You may not ask what the disability is.

That is the Federal law.

Of course, other rules (or no rules at all) apply outside the USA.

Of course, other rules (or no rules at all) apply outside the USA.

True, although I believe (and could be wrong) that the rules are the same or similar in the UK and Canada.

The rules apply to corporations & businesses, not to individuals who are not employed by them.

Sure you can ask as a member of the general public, doesn't mean you will get an answer ;)

My point was not so much about what the rules are surrounding compulsory medical disclosure. I was just letting people know that you can't assume a dog isn't a "real" service dog just because the owner isn't wearing dark glasses and feeling around for the seat.

Of course, if you are bold enough to ask someone what their disability is, you probably have earned whatever answer you get, good or bad. Not sure how others feel about doing that, but for me if the dog isn't bothering me I don't really see why it is my business what condition a fellow passenger, restaurant patron, theater goer, etc. may have. Their lives are probably already more difficult than mine, no need for me to make it any more challenging.

True, although I believe (and could be wrong) that the rules are the same or similar in the UK and Canada.

The standard notice outside shops etc. in the UK is still "No dogs allowed, except guide dogs". Therapy animals wouldn't be allowed in, possibly because all animals are therapy animals - we have them because they make us feel better, hence therapy. Other emergency medical animals such as diabetes dogs would normally be allowed in if it is explained why. But there's no provision for "I'm allowed to bring it in, and I refuse to tell you why" like there is in the USA.

The standard notice outside shops etc. in the UK is still "No dogs allowed, except guide dogs". Therapy animals wouldn't be allowed in, possibly because all animals are therapy animals - we have them because they make us feel better, hence therapy. Other emergency medical animals such as diabetes dogs would normally be allowed in if it is explained why. But there's no provision for "I'm allowed to bring it in, and I refuse to tell you why" like there is in the USA.

We Americans brought that on ourselves by constantly feeling entitled to be in each other's business. Back when I was going through cancer treatments I had a handicapped parking permit. Apparently because I was in my 30's and without a wheelchair or crutches people thought they had the right to tell me "That's a handicapped spot" even though my permit, that no one bothered looking for, was hanging right there on my rearview. For the most part I would smile and say "Yes, I have a permit, thank you", although one day after about the third time it happened I turned, lifted my wig off my head and said "are you satisfied you little busybody?" I apologized right away of course and explained I was having a bad day, but it made me aware of just how many self-appointed social disciplinarians we have in this society, many of whom act without knowing the facts. The kicker? I was parking in front of the cancer center! :rolleyes:

I was just letting people know that you can't assume a dog isn't a "real" service dog just because the owner isn't wearing dark glasses and feeling around for the seat.

Correct, you cannot assume. HOWEVER, actual service animals are extensively trained and very well behaved. They are trained to perform their chosen task, and they undergo extensive general behavior training as well. So the little yappy dog that won't quit barking, relieves itself in an inappropriate place, jumps on people etc. obviously has not received the same type of behavior training and in all likelihood, is not a true service animal.

Correct, you cannot assume. HOWEVER, actual service animals are extensively trained and very well behaved. They are trained to perform their chosen task, and they undergo extensive general behavior training as well. So the little yappy dog that won't quit barking, relieves itself in an inappropriate place, jumps on people etc. obviously has not received the same type of behavior training and in all likelihood, is not a true service animal.

Right, which is why none of my Italian Greyhounds would ever qualify as a service animal ;)

I am sorry you had to endure these problems with an impostor service dog. It makes it harder for those who truly rely and benefit from the real ones to gain acceptance. :(