Show Times

ovccruiser

As already posted earlier in the conversation thank you all for your messages, we appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and views.

'In response to feedback from our guests in 2014, we have been trialling a change to the format of the evenings on board, with the aim of making this time as enjoyable as possible for everyone. The trial has been running for several months on selected sailings and is due to end shortly.

Once we have reviewed all the feedback from the trial, we will then make a decision on the structure of the evenings that will satisfy the greatest number of guests. We expect to have reached this conclusion by the beginning of May, at which time we will of course advise you of the outcome. Your concerns have been passed on and so will be included within the review, along with guest feedback given on board'.

All your feedback given on this site has also been noted and passed to those departments concerned.

Kind regards,

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

Has anyone heard from Fred Olsen yet as it is now 13th May? My balance is due to be paid and I am in 2 minds as to what I should do.:(

Last contact I had from Customer Relations suggested that I contact them again closer to our departure date in August for an update.

The experiment only started on Balmoral from 3rd May...

Just had a reply through the official Fred Olsen FB page to say the trial is continuing throughout the summer. When were they going to inform their passengers? My TA didn't know until I informed her this afternoon. Not a happy person today!!

When were they going to inform their passengers?

I would say the objective was never to inform passengers and see how many complain once they get on-board.

We wouldn't know it was happening if those who have already encountered this unfortunate change had not reported it here.

It was the same when they experimented with removing the bar staff from the show lounge. Everyone on board could see it was causing problems but all the staff could do was apologise and blame head office for enforcing the change.

A few months later it was back to normal again.

Hopefully this will go the same way, just unfortunate for those who get to experience it in the meantime.

Edited by Mark_T

I just checked the website and the following, inaccurate, information is still there, would be hard to blame anyone for expecting what is described on the FO website to be what will be delivered on-board...:

What times are the evening shows?

The shows on board our cruise holidays are generally after first and second sitting dining times have finished, details of which can be found in the Daily Times in your cabin. You will have plenty of time to enjoy dinner, before heading through to the Show lounge and enjoying the evenings of cabaret, magic or comedy.

I just checked the website and the following, inaccurate, information is still there, would be hard to blame anyone for expecting what is described on the FO website to be what will be delivered on-board...:

What times are the evening shows?

The shows on board our cruise holidays are generally after first and second sitting dining times have finished, details of which can be found in the Daily Times in your cabin. You will have plenty of time to enjoy dinner, before heading through to the Show lounge and enjoying the evenings of cabaret, magic or comedy.

I wish I had seen that before phoning FO. I have asked our TA to change our Dinner sitting from 2nd to 1st while there is still availability.

I would say the objective was never to inform passengers and see how many complain once they get on-board.

We wouldn't know it was happening if those who have already encountered this unfortunate change had not reported it here.

It was the same when they experimented with removing the bar staff from the show lounge. Everyone on board could see it was causing problems but all the staff could do was apologise and blame head office for enforcing the change.

A few months later it was back to normal again.

Hopefully this will go the same way, just unfortunate for those who get to experience it in the meantime.

I asked the question...why has such a significant change not been announced to passengers? Was told it wasn't deemed significant enough change to do so. My retort was that it is to me. Well my TA knows about it now, so at least she will be able to advise her clients.

This is my first post on this thread as we are not big attenders of the shows. We do like to see the shows from time to time though, and as we had chosen second sitting on the Balmoral Fjords cruise commencing 3rd May, (due to scenic cruising), we found the show times a problem. I do not remember a question on the questionnaire about the show times and the only space for general feedback was three very small lines at the end of the questionnaire. On that cruise there were far more things we wanted to highlight from a positive perspective, so did not write anything about the show times. How then can Fred say he is looking at feedback to an experiment with altering show times!!! To add insult to injury, it was most of the scenic cruising and the best port that was pulled when they decided to return to Southampton early.

The future cruise voucher we had been given had considerable constraints as it can only be used for a few specific cruises, with unsuitable departure ports for many people, which would involve considerable travelling time and hotel costs. We were given the impression on Balmoral that we may possibly be able to use the voucher for another cruise that could be viable for us, as they will look at individual circumstances, but I have been told by email this afternoon that my request (sent Monday) could take 28 days to answer as they need to 'investigate'. I can see they may wish to check my comment that we have a 28 night cruise booked to depart soon and another 14 night one in November, both booked with them, but I would hardly call that an investigation!!

The voucher was not of a lot of use given other constraints placed on it's use, but was claimed to be 'a gesture of goodwill'. The only benefit I can see is that the company seem to have publicised the fact they have given future cruise vouchers.

We are not disputing the value of the voucher, so are asking no more expense from Fred. but we are still being treated in this way.

We have never had cause to contact Freds Customer Relations previously, can someone please tell me if it has always been this bad, or is this a new speciality?

Edited by tring

Prompted by this being raised again & having to phone FO today about another query, it has been confirmed to me also that the shows are as stated; earlier show for the later dinner sitting & later show for the earlier sitting with a cabaret show at 2245.

In effect it means there is more entertainment but I can't understand why they don't put on the cabaret at 7.15 & keep the shows as they were.

Not particularly happy about this at all & probably would not have booked with FO if I had known this - we probably won't get to many shows as 7.15 is far too early for us which is the reason we have chosen a late sitting meal!

Agree with Jakanne - why have FO not informed us of this change? It should have been emailed to us or at least notified when we paid the final balance.

We would just like to provide a quick update regarding the change to the dining and show times that we have been trialling for the past few months on board our ships. We know this is a particularly hot topic amongst our guests and the feedback we have received via these forums, emails and letters is greatly appreciated. It really helps us ensure that the on board experience we offer suits the greatest number of guests, so thank you for taking the time to comment.

So far the response to the trial has been quite evenly split and we have received large amounts of both positive and negative feedback, so much so that – at the moment – it is difficult for a definitive decision to be made. Therefore we are extending the trial to continue throughout the summer, so that we can collate further feedback from guests on board. We know that this will come as a disappointment to some, but we want to be fair to all of our guests and collecting more feedback will help us to make a fair and informed decision.

Once again we would like to thank you for your comments regarding the trial; all feedback – both positive and negative – is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

We would just like to provide a quick update regarding the change to the dining and show times that we have been trialling for the past few months on board our ships. We know this is a particularly hot topic amongst our guests and the feedback we have received via these forums, emails and letters is greatly appreciated. It really helps us ensure that the on board experience we offer suits the greatest number of guests, so thank you for taking the time to comment.

So far the response to the trial has been quite evenly split and we have received large amounts of both positive and negative feedback, so much so that – at the moment – it is difficult for a definitive decision to be made. Therefore we are extending the trial to continue throughout the summer, so that we can collate further feedback from guests on board. We know that this will come as a disappointment to some, but we want to be fair to all of our guests and collecting more feedback will help us to make a fair and informed decision.

Once again we would like to thank you for your comments regarding the trial; all feedback – both positive and negative – is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

First of all, I would have expected an even split....as it mainly only affects those on the second sitting.....roughly half of the passengers. :rolleyes:

Secondly, when will you be advising those already booked on cruises this summer of the change in circumstances? And will you be changing your website and informing travel agents of the change so that passengers can take it into consideration before committing themselves to booking?

Kind regards,

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

I would expect a less than even split in comments, the change only affects second sitting guests which when the ship is not full is less than 50% of the total and of these some will be people who have booked a cheap cruise on an anchor fare and want first sitting but are not prepared to pay£2 pppd to secure first sitting so they will be quite happy with the early shows.

If this is to go ahead, the late night 10:45 cabaret needs to be in the Neptune rather than the Lido/Coral club to give the greatest number of guests the opportunity to see the shows, the Lido is too small to accommodate both first and second sitting guests at the same time.

Kind regards,

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

I would like to repeat my comment from the previous page of this thread regarding our cruise which ended on 10th May:-

'I do not remember a question on the questionnaire about the show times and the only space for general feedback was three very small lines at the end of the questionnaire. On that cruise there were far more things we wanted to highlight from a positive perspective, so did not write anything about the show times. How then can Fred say he is looking at feedback to an experiment with altering show times!'

Can you inform us how you can possibly get statistically reliable feedback on show times if there is no question on your questionaire?

Edited by tring

I have just booked my first cruise with Fred doing the Baltic on Braemar in August.

When I booked I chose Anchor dining as I was not concerned whether I was allocated early or late dining, and was told by the TA that 1st sitting is 6.15 and 2nd sitting 8.30.

I am trying hard to make sense of where the show times fit in from reading these posts.

Is the 1st show 7.30 - 8.15 for those who dine at 8.30.

Is the 2nd show 8.45 - 9.30 for those who dine at 6.15.

Edited by gillhalfpint

I am trying hard to make sense of where the show times fit in from reading these posts.

Is the 1st show 7.30 - 8.15 for those who dine at 8.30.

Is the 2nd show 8.45 - 9.30 for those who dine at 6.15.

Yes, that is pretty much it.

I'm happy they are listening, but I'll judge based on what they actually do :)

It is easy to say that our comments are being taken into consideration, that doesn't mean that they won't decide to do what they want anyway though...

Does anyone know if this is being trialed on the Balmoral, we are second sitting for dinner, 'pre-dinner show' what a ludicrous idea, cruising with FO will be a no-no with us if this is the way forward.http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/images/smilies/frown.gif

Does anyone know if this is being trialed on the Balmoral, we are second sitting for dinner, 'pre-dinner show' what a ludicrous idea, cruising with FO will be a no-no with us if this is the way forward.http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/images/smilies/frown.gif

Yes they are for sure, they started around the cruise that Tring was on and according to FO the trial is being extended over the summer.

We asked specifically about Balmoral as we are due on-board in August and we were advised to ask again closer to the time to see if the change was still in effect.

Those show times were in place on Balmoral early May.

I wonder if Fred will ever reply to our questions above - this does not seem much like customer service to me!

It was the same on the Braemar in March although I didn't hear anyone complain about it. But I prefer first sitting anyway so I probably wouldn't have come into contact with many of the dissenters. ;)

It was the same on the Braemar in March although I didn't hear anyone complain about it. But I prefer first sitting anyway so I probably wouldn't have come into contact with many of the dissenters. ;)

How did it work for those on the first sitting?

I presume by the time you finished eating the first show was still in progress?

So did you end up waiting in the bar until people exited?

How did it work for those on the first sitting?

I presume by the time you finished eating the first show was still in progress?

So did you end up waiting in the bar until people exited?

When I rang Fred Olsen about 2nd sitting dinner's show entertainment changing to the earlier time of 7.30pm the lady on the phone said that the Show lounge would be cleared before the next group of people are allowed to enter ...as in a normal theatre or cinema. Therefore I would imagine there would be some form of queue forming.

Therefore I would imagine there would be some form of queue forming.

That has been my biggest concern which is why it would be good to hear the practical experience of those who have already been through this.

We are usually last to leave the restaurant because we enjoy chatting with our table companions. But yes, the 2nd sitting show was in full swing and we sat in the bar with our iPads. The queue snaked all the way from the Neptune lounge doors to the end of the bar. To be honest, it was quite annoying but at least we were sat in comfortable seats. When the doors eventually opened there was a scramble to get seats in the Neptune lounge although it wasn't difficult to find good seats even though we were at the end of the queue. The shows weren't that well attended compared to previous cruises I've been on but then the acts were mediocre apart from the show dancers who were spectacular. The queuing seemed a bit ridiculous to be honest since there was still half an hour to wait before the show commenced. For us, that was fine because we enjoy dancing but we are very much in the minority. :D

The queue snaked all the way from the Neptune lounge doors to the end of the bar.

... and that is precisely what I was expecting sadly.

They have managed to reproduce the problems you get on the cocktail reception evenings and make them happen every single night of the cruise for 1st sitting guests :(