Insurance Idiot

TXRed

Hi! I have searched to try to find the answer and have not been successful...so....I looked on insuremytrip.com to get insurance for our Sept Alaska cruise on the Ruby. I am an insurance idiot..not sure what I should look for to compare the various plans offered. Has anyone used this site? If so, do you have any hints and what should one included on the trip cost? Cruise of course, airfare, hotels, dog boarding...or just items you would be charged for in paid in advance and would not be refundable? Thanks in advance to any/all that can give me some guidance.

Hi! I have searched to try to find the answer and have not been successful...so....I looked on insuremytrip.com to get insurance for our Sept Alaska cruise on the Ruby. I am an insurance idiot..not sure what I should look for to compare the various plans offered. Has anyone used this site? If so, do you have any hints and what should one included on the trip cost? Cruise of course, airfare, hotels, dog boarding...or just items you would be charged for in paid in advance and would not be refundable? Thanks in advance to any/all that can give me some guidance.

Whats wrong with Princess ins?

uuuummmmm not sure....several ppl told us not to book the cruise line insurance...said it was very expensive and difficult to deal with.

I'm also an insurance idiot. That's why I just use the Princess insurance. It's easy. :rolleyes:

I guess I will call them and see what they offer. thanks

uuuummmmm not sure....several ppl told us not to book the cruise line insurance...said it was very expensive and difficult to deal with.

FWIW, we are somewhat older, so, Princess Platinum insurance is not expensive for us compared to what else is available (although we never really did think it was expensive). We've needed to use it twice and there was no difficulty to deal with it. Filled out the claim forms and supplied the info that was asked for and the claims were taken care of.

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

The main thing wrong with Princess, or ANY other vacation company default insurance, is the outrageous profiteering. When you can buy equal or better coverage on an annual policy for the price of a two week single trip, someone somewhere is laughing all the way to the proverbial bank...

My first career was in insurance, my wife still works in the industry, and there's only one thing that brings in more profit than one-shot vacation policies - extended warranties at point-of-sale.

Those of you signing up for Princess insurance - thank you for subsidizing my cruising; without your generous payments, they'd have to jack up prices somewhere else to keep earnings high;-)

The main thing wrong with Princess, or ANY other vacation company default insurance, is the outrageous profiteering. When you can buy equal or better coverage on an annual policy for the price of a two week single trip, <<<<< can you please explain this to me someone somewhere is laughing all the way to the proverbial bank...

My first career was in insurance, my wife still works in the industry, and there's only one thing that brings in more profit than one-shot vacation policies - extended warranties at point-of-sale.

Those of you signing up for Princess insurance - thank you for subsidizing my cruising; without your generous payments, they'd have to jack up prices somewhere else to keep earnings high;-)

Do you have any suggestions about insurance we are seniors...medicare/medicaid...no other insurance medical ins. Thanks

FWIW, we are somewhat older, so, Princess Platinum insurance is not expensive for us compared to what else is available (although we never really did think it was expensive). We've needed to use it twice and there was no difficulty to deal with it. Filled out the claim forms and supplied the info that was asked for and the claims were taken care of.

YMMV

Thanks I will check it our once I figure out what we really need.

Sorry I have no idea what Berkeley is???

Berkeley takes care of Princess Insurance. We have used Princess Insurance(Berkeley) and have been very happy with it. Yes there is some calling and providing paperwork but what insurance company does not want proof.

The main thing wrong with Princess, or ANY other vacation company default insurance, is the outrageous profiteering. When you can buy equal or better coverage on an annual policy for the price of a two week single trip, someone somewhere is laughing all the way to the proverbial bank...

I would also like to know what annual Policy is available for seniors that are on Medicare and Secure Horizons. and cover out of the country coverage Thanks

Edited by waltd

I would also like to know what annual Policy is available for seniors that are on Medicare and Secure Horizons. and cover out of the country coverage Thanks
For medical, I have Medicare which doesn't pay a thing for anything on a cruise or outside the U.S. And Anthem Blue Cross supplemental. For cruise insurance, I get the Princess insurance since I'm not penalized for my age plus I get automatically upgraded to Princess Platinum. In addition, I have an annual policy with MedJet Assist which will fly you in a medically equipped jet from anywhere in the world to anywhere.

I've never had a problem submitting a claim with Berkley Care through Princess insurance, whether it's a small Medical Center bill or a month-long stay in FLL with my sister while my brother-in-law was in the ICU.

No insurance is perfect; it's always a gamble. For me, I want medical, trip interruption, and cancel for any reason coverage. I don't insure hotel or air because I usually use air miles for flights and stay at cheap hotels. In comparing pricing and services for me between the Princess Platinum insurance and independent insurance such as TravelGuard, they're comparable.

In general, almost all cruise line insurance is over priced and under covered. It is also inflexible and makes you take stuff that you might not want. You need to carefully compare the cruise line offered coverage and cost with other options. You also need to figure out what coverage you really need as opposed to what woudl be nice to have. For example, we cover only medical and evacuation. I figure that I can afford any other losses so I self insure for anything else. Because we travel a lot, we also do not insure for specific trips but take a policy that covers any and all trips for a period of one year.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

In general, almost all cruise line insurance is over priced and under covered. It is also inflexible and makes you take stuff that you might not want. You need to carefully compare the cruise line offered coverage and cost with other options. You also need to figure out what coverage you really need as opposed to what woudl be nice to have. For example, we cover only medical and evacuation. I figure that I can afford any other losses so I self insure for anything else. Because we travel a lot, we also do not insure for specific trips but take a policy that covers any and all trips for a period of one year.

DON

OK, so this is new to me and was not aware of this option. Without meddling in your personal life, I would like to know more about this. Would three cruises a year qualify for this "one year" insurance?