NCL won us back.

nimiq

Hello all,

Was just of NCL Getaway April 04th and thought they made big improvement from the last time I cruised with them about 10 years ago.

They got the Freestyle working to almost perfection.

They do not pretend to be something they are not. Bravo to the crew and all the staff I was pleasantly surprise and happy to have given you an other chance.

If anyone have questions about Getaway feel free to ask.

By the way we did not do any of the $ restaurant but did all the others.

Sea ya

Eric

Hello all,

Was just of NCL Getaway April 04th and thought they made big improvement from the last time I cruised with them about 10 years ago.

They do not pretend to be something they are not. Bravo to the crew and all the staff I was pleasantly surprise and happy to have given you an other chance.

If anyone have questions about Getaway feel free to ask.

By the way we did not do any of the $ restaurant but did all the others.

Sea ya

Eric

Glad to hear! I had the same experience. I had a series of very lackluster experiences on NCL years ago. I pretty much wrote them off. Then in January I sailed on GETAWAY and WOW was I impressed. They won me back!

I wrote them off in 1993, tried again in 2000 and said............ never again. :mad:

Fast forward to March 2015, and after a week on the Epic I found that this is not the old NCL. We loved it. So much in fact, that we are booked on the Getaway May 23rd. :D

Can't comment on the MDR since we never went there. We had the UDP on the Epic and will again on the Getaway.

how does the freestyle work? can I just go to dinner when we want or do we have to make reservations?

It was a mess when we did it last time (2006)

You can just show up in any of the MDR or other free venues when you want to eat. What upsets some cruisers is that you can hit them when they are busy, and you get a beeper, and wait for a table. Just like going to a restaurant on land. That's only happened twice to us, and both times we were with a large group of 10+. When we are just a couple, we are almost always seated within 5 minutes at a table for two (you can also ask to be seated with others, but unlike traditional dining you won't be seated with the SAME others each night).

I think service is also a bit slower because each table is being served individually, rather than the entire place being served appetizers, then 20 minutes later entrees, etc.

We're really flexible on eating times so we usually don't have a problem even with the specialty restaurants. There are video monitors with availability listed for each eatery. The usual advice is that the dinner shows (on some ships) and the teppanaki restaurant have limited seating and its best to get a reservation.

Thank you! We are also trying them again after not sailing with them for years. Not because we didn't enjoy that cruise, but because Carnivals prices and itineraries have worked for us the last several cruises. We enjoyed Carnival but are open to trying a newer, bigger ship on NCL. It's nice and refreshing to hear positive reports on these boards and not just the price increase/changes hoopla, etc. Thank you for that! Hope we enjoy our cruise as much as you did!:)

Hello all,

They do not pretend to be something they are not.

Eric

What do you mean by "They do not pretend to be something they are not. "?

What are they & what are they not ?

What do you mean by "They do not pretend to be something they are not. "?

What are they & what are they not ?

I mean they deliver what true Freestyle is. You do what you want when you want. Same as you dress up or not just like you want.

Everyone seems to have respect for each other as well. As example some lines say no shorts or jeans in the MDR. Dinner time comes some people show up dress such as then get that look from other passenger but the crew don't do anything. This to me is why other lines some lines say they have or do such thing but never really get them done.

Sea ya

how does the freestyle work? can I just go to dinner when we want or do we have to make reservations?

It was a mess when we did it last time (2006)

We actually had preselected the times before our departure for some nights and others we just sowed up and never waited more than 5 minutes.

Glad to hear! I had the same experience. I had a series of very lackluster experiences on NCL years ago. I pretty much wrote them off. Then in January I sailed on GETAWAY and WOW was I impressed. They won me back!

I don't know if it was the ship but they seemed to even have change menus. I will for sure go back on them again.

I wrote them off in 1993, tried again in 2000 and said............ never again. :mad:

Fast forward to March 2015, and after a week on the Epic I found that this is not the old NCL. We loved it. So much in fact, that we are booked on the Getaway May 23rd. :D

Can't comment on the MDR since we never went there. We had the UDP on the Epic and will again on the Getaway.

Ok with that upgrade its also hard to compare to your previous cruises with them but is only with the MDR and very please and surprise :-)

Is there a way to see the menu items for each restaurant on Norwegian Getaway before you actually board the ship?

I don't think you can see them before you board. If you have a smartphone or tablet, download the iConceirge app before you cruise. Once you are onboard Getaway, you can see all the menus for all the restaurants, even the MDR where it changes every night.