On board The Star

kathy9

Our 50 day maiden saga has been an adventure - some great times, some really frustrating times. But it is now officially over as we are off the Star. I will continue to answer questions and post the occasional comment as things come to me, but my regular posts will end. I would suggest that this thread come to an end as well and someone else start a thread for the new voyages that are now circling the Baltic. Otherwise this thread could go on forever! Bye everyone, especially to those kindred spirits who were with us for these crazy 50 days! God bless!

Elizabeth and Joe, It was great fun to get to spend time with you on the roll call and then on board The Star. Please let us know where you post all those pictures you took!

Safe travels home.

Hope to cruise with you someday in the future.

Kathy and Matt

Thank you so much for all of the information/comments/opinions that you have posted during your cruise. I felt like I was cruising right along with you! We won't be on the Star until '16 but so much of your information has been helpful to us in planning our excursions. Hope you leave with wonderful memories.

I'm claiming victory in the iced tea wars. There is now a tap in both the port and starboard juice machines! Victory at last! Applause please!!! :D

Congratulations! You left your legacy to the Viking Star - it only took 50 days.:o

Actually it happened yesterday. ONLY 49 days!

Wet and soggy in Stockholm today. Wandered around Gamal Stan for 3 hours until totally soaked. Saw 2 churches and very wet, wet marathoners struggling on through the rain (today is the Swedish National Marathon). Unfortunately for them, there were not many spectators cheering them on.

We're at the Hilton Slussen and although it's a great jumping off point for disembarking or embarking the ship, the rooms are small and dark. Not up to usual Hilton standards IMO, and as a Diamond member, I've stayed in a ton of Hiltons. The location can't be beat though. Close to the ship and an easy stroll to Gamal Stan.

See, I can't keep from posting. Hard to stop this habit!

Actually it happened yesterday. ONLY 49 days!

Wet and soggy in Stockholm today. Wandered around Gamal Stan for 3 hours until totally soaked. Saw 2 churches and very wet, wet marathoners struggling on through the rain (today is the Swedish National Marathon). Unfortunately for them, there were not many spectators cheering them on.

We're at the Hilton Slussen and although it's a great jumping off point for disembarking or embarking the ship, the rooms are small and dark. Not up to usual Hilton standards IMO, and as a Diamond member, I've stayed in a ton of Hiltons. The location can't be beat though. Close to the ship and an easy stroll to Gamal Stan.

See, I can't keep from posting. Hard to stop this habit!

We are staying at the Sheraton...is it close to the Hilton and the ship? We disembark in Stockholm on July 25.

Pool is 5'10" deep or 1.8m across the entire pool. I estimate the length to be about 25 feet and the width a bit less than 15 feet. There is a shelf about 5 feet long making the pool appear to be larger, 30 x 15. But swimmable length about 25'.

Thanks, Leo!

Our 50 day maiden saga has been an adventure - some great times, some really frustrating times. But it is now officially over as we are off the Star. I will continue to answer questions and post the occasional comment as things come to me, but my regular posts will end. I would suggest that this thread come to an end as well and someone else start a thread for the new voyages that are now circling the Baltic. Otherwise this thread could go on forever! Bye everyone, especially to those kindred spirits who were with us for these crazy 50 days! God bless!

Elizabeth and Joe,

Hard to believe your 50-day odyssey has ended. Peter and I are glad we could share the first leg of the cruise with you both, with Kathy and Matt, with Robert and company, and with Marsha and Lou. Enjoy Stockholm. Good luck getting all the stuff you've accumulated since April 11th into your luggage for the return home.

I echo Kathy in saying that we hope to cross paths with you on another travel adventure. Thanks for the good company and the CC updates.

Safe travels.

Judy

Hi there,

We (Fred & Linda from Bayfield, Ontario) as well as my sister and her husband (Debi & Rudy from Drumheller, Alberta) are booked on the 29 day Stockholm to Barcelona trip leaving Jul 25/15. We have followed with great interest the travels and travails of the maiden voyagers and learned a lot along the way. Thank you for your posts.

My question relates to the Normandy and D-Day Landing tour. As proud Canadians with a military family background, we are interested in seeing the Juno/Gold and Sword landing sites as well as Omaha & Utah. Does the tour stop at all at these sites?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Linda Lange

Hi there,

We (Fred & Linda from Bayfield, Ontario) as well as my sister and her husband (Debi & Rudy from Drumheller, Alberta) are booked on the 29 day Stockholm to Barcelona trip leaving Jul 25/15. We have followed with great interest the travels and travails of the maiden voyagers and learned a lot along the way. Thank you for your posts.

My question relates to the Normandy and D-Day Landing tour. As proud Canadians with a military family background, we are interested in seeing the Juno/Gold and Sword landing sites as well as Omaha & Utah. Does the tour stop at all at these sites?

Linda Lange

If the Viking Optional Normandy D-Day Excursion is offered you may have a drive by at Juno, Gold, and Sword. But I wouldn't expect a lot of detail or an opportunity to spend time at these beaches.

Your best bet is to organize a private tour with other Canadians and British participants interested in focusing on the landing sites associated with your countries. You could also include Pegasus Bridge and Caen as well.

We took a private tour with Bayeux Shuttle that was fantastic. They will work with you to tailor the tour to meet your desires. Also, a small gathering with a knowledgeable tour guide will have a better opportunity to have an interactive experience versus a "follow the lolly pop and listen to me" day. And finally, the cost is likely to be less than the Viking tour by 10 - 20€.

Good luck!

Hi there,

Linda Lange

I echo the suggestion that you try to organize a private group. We were on a private tour in 2012. I'll copy below a bit of our experience.

Monday, we arrived in Cherborg and were met by our guides for the tour. 5 couples who met on Cruise Critic had arranged a tour of the beaches and landing area. Our hosts were Edward and Sharon Parks. Edward is a retired lieutenant colonel in the Royal Marines, and he and his wife Sharon spend their summers in Normandy operating a B&B and conducting battlefield tours. The 10 tourists were driven by them in two minivans. Edward had provided a commentary on CD to be played as we drove to the various locations. Additionally, the commentary referenced a booklet of some 50 visuals to amplify the information with maps, photos, and statistics about the operation. Edward’s experience and knowledge of military tactics and the history of the assault provided a wealth of information that we would never have received on a bus tour with 35 others. Our agenda was

Time Location Event Notes

0800 Cherbourg Disembark Depart 0830

0930 Vierville Visit Omaha Beach Depart 1000

1015 St Laurent-s-M Visit US Military Cemetery Depart 1130

1145 Pointe du Hoc Visit US Ranger cliff assault area Depart 1245

1315 Varaville Visit Utah Beach Depart 1400

1430 St Mere Eglise Visit US Airborne Area/Lunch Depart 1545

1645 Cherbourg Embark Ship sails 1800

------------------------------------------------------------

I addition to being excellent tour hosts, Edward is very knowledgeable on military history in general, and the D Day landings. Their website is http://www.normandy-battlefields.com/about-us.php

We were accomodated in two vans driven by Edward and Sharon.

Thanks for all your posts that have been very helpful.

My wife and I, and two friends are booked on the Venice to Istanbul cruise in September 2015 and we appreciate the information you have provided.

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure, id4Elizabeth --

Carolyn

The Editor rating has not been completed yet.

Only the Overview has been completed ... the ratings for Cabins, Dining, Activities, Family, Itineraries have not been completed.

I believe that Carolyn said, in her "We're onboard Viking Star!" thread, that she would do so in May.

Editor Review for Viking Star ... http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=748

Example completed Editor Review for Adventure of the Seas ... http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=192

Hi, I'm working on it -- but have gotten backed up, so it'll be mid-June at the earliest. Thanks, WilliaFr

Carolyn

The Editor rating has not been completed yet.

Only the Overview has been completed ... the ratings for Cabins, Dining, Activities, Family, Itineraries have not been completed.

I believe that Carolyn said, in her "We're onboard Viking Star!" thread, that she would do so in May.

Editor Review for Viking Star ... http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=748

Example completed Editor Review for Adventure of the Seas ... http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=192

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on the July 11 tour from Bergen and we so appreciate all your info. Yay, on the ice tea, too. Best wishes and God Bless you both

We are on the Bergen-Stockholm itinerary beginning July 11. We booked both morning and afternoon Viking excursions in SPB both days, with about 90 min between them. Has anyone done this? Did you have any trouble with timing getting messed up, i.e. were you able to make it to the second excursion on time?

Thanks for any info current passengers can provide.

Hi Candy and David,

We are also on the July 11 tour from Bergen. In St. Petersburg we decided to do Alla (Comfort Tour) on both days with the optional cultural dancing show on the first night. It seemed to include more than the ship's tours which are probably good too.

Maybe we'll meet on the ship.

Joyce and John from CA