One Person Holding Place In Line For A Group....Is It Ever Okay?

JCrewz

Most of us have probably been in this situation.....you are in a long buffet line, a long port disembarkation line or any other cruise ship line when, suddenly, several people join a person somewhere ahead of you in the line. I have never had a problem with a spouse or one other person joining the line holder....but have always thought it was rude for a group to jump the line even if they have designated a person for the sole purpose of holding their place.

You see less of this on HAL than you do with youngsters on lines like Carnival (We have sailed the Caribbean four times on Carnival), but you still see it. The "cutters" often seem like nice folks and are absolutely unconcerned that they have advanced past many of the people who have been waiting in the line....they do not see themselves in any way as offenders.

The "Lido Deck Buffet Etiquette" discussion was insightful and I wonder how the experienced cruisers of Cruise Critic view the practice. If a majority posts that this is no big deal or to be encouraged, I will adjust my attitude on the topic. If it is an infraction, any suggestions for politely handling the issue? Is it a problem with no adequate remedy? Is it always best to avoid a potential scene by refraining from asking the line breakers to go to the back of the line?

I am looking forward to getting the benefit of your thoughts.

Don't sweat the little things in life. Be happy that you are n vacation and enjoy it.

That's what my wife says.

BUT....putting the lemons to lemonade thought process aside, is the practice thought to be acceptable?

When we are in a long buffet line I've always followed the "every man for himself" adage. If someone gets out of the line to look around then they should get to the back of said line. My husband and I don't even hold a spot for the other. We have been know to say "hey grab me of of those" to each other in whatever line we might be in. It should be noted that I grew up in Vegas and the type of line cutting where a group jumped in might have caused a small riot [emoji6]

As far how to handle it? I don't have any good suggestions. I think quite a few people throw their manners out the window when they're on vacation. It's sad.

Rudeness is everything it is cracked up to be. And there are always a very few to prove that statement correct. But for the most part, the Lido works very well, and the shipmates are overwhelmingly courteous. I don't like the rudeness either, but there is no way I would let the occasional incident to ruin a cruise. It just isn't that big a deal.

I'm not telling anyone what to do but I'd have a low opinion of someone who 'held the place' for more than just their spouse, partner or friend. To have a whole group cut into the line couldn't be more rude. Go for it if you wouldn't mind someone doing that to you..... be honest with yourself. ;)

Some people just cannot wait, have go be 1st or are just plain rude - what can one say, they are everywhere. Do admit, I sometimes make a comment like - 'oh, you must be in a hurry'.

No issues with a spouse joining the other spouse in line as I cannot stand for long periods and will often find a seat and watch until my DH is closer to the front then join him - but a group of people cutting in line - now that is just nasty!

Rudeness is everything it is cracked up to be. And there are always a very few to prove that statement correct. But for the most part, the Lido works very well, and the shipmates are overwhelmingly courteous. I don't like the rudeness either, but there is no way I would let the occasional incident to ruin a cruise. It just isn't that big a deal.

I do agree that the overwhelming majority of the people we run into are folks we wished lived in our neighborhood. I can see holding a place in line for mobility restricted folks who need to sit more than they stand because of health issues.....so I get that there are some circumstances with mitigating or justifiable factors.

IMO, no it's not okay to cut into a line, and I've been known to get rather vocal (And surprisingly it works). Now in some areas of the world it's cultural to cut in line, so I've been told, and the correct response is to just cut right back in front of them. That said, I have thought about expanding my horizons by traveling with a group of fellow passengers that was not comprised mainly by Americans/Canadians/British/Aussies, but after reading reviews by English speaking guests of cruises lines that cater predominately to European guests that English is not their native language, it's probably best I don't.

I don't suppose you would be asking if you didn't know someplace inside you it is Not okay. ;)

I am a changed man after the Lido Deck Etiquette discussion. I am going to encourage any couple looking for a table to join us if we are only occupying two seats at a four top. On other cruises, that never occurred to me. I think the people that can afford to cruise often are probably able to do so because they are successful and successful people are generally good problem solvers. Yes, I would think that it is generally rude.....but is one person okay? Are there other circumstances that overcome the presumption of thoughtlessness? Of course, some posters are more eloquent than others, but I enjoy the discussion from people who have "been there and done that" much more often than I have.

Edited by JCrewz
Omission

I was in line once and a person a few places ahead of me was "holding a space" for about 8 other people. When the 8 extras got in line, there was some grumbling. The space holder loudly announced that, "these people are with me."

More grumbling.

Then, out of the blue, the person in front of the space holder declared, "See all of those people behind you? They're with me. Please move your party behind them."

It worked.

We had the "joy" of sailing with a group who had line-cutting honed to a science. :rolleyes: They were a social lot, made sure they introduced themselves to LOTS of people at the pre-cruise hotel, on the shuttle to the port, and in the waiting area at the terminal.

Every line they encountered once onboard, they knew someone who was near the front of the line. So one of them would stop and talk to the person they knew, and ease his/her way into line while chatting. Then a couple more of the group would join the one, then more, and more, until finally all 12 of them were in line.

It was fascinating, in a way. Appalling and fascinating. They tried using us once. Didn't try it again with us. I can't think of a socially appropriate word to use to describe them.

If there are physical issues, sure, someone can hold a place for a couple of other people. But no reasons except for being selfish and entitled? No, that is not acceptable IMHO.

I find it very rude and inconsiderate of the people who are in the line.

I guess the considerate thing to do, before you welcome someone to join you in a line (and this includes your spouse or significant other), is turn to everyone else in the line and ask if anyone would mind if this person joined you in the line. I have never experienced that.

My response is to state that the line is back there. If someone responds that he or she is with me, I always respond that they can join them at the end of the line.

We had the "joy" of sailing with a group who had line-cutting honed to a science. :rolleyes: They were a social lot, made sure they introduced themselves to LOTS of people at the pre-cruise hotel, on the shuttle to the port, and in the waiting area at the terminal.

Every line they encountered once onboard, they knew someone who was near the front of the line. So one of them would stop and talk to the person they knew, and ease his/her way into line while chatting. Then a couple more of the group would join the one, then more, and more, until finally all 12 of them were in line.

It was fascinating, in a way. Appalling and fascinating. They tried using us once. Didn't try it again with us. I can't think of a socially appropriate word to use to describe them.

If there are physical issues, sure, someone can hold a place for a couple of other people. But no reasons except for being selfish and entitled? No, that is not acceptable IMHO.

The most acceptable term for people who use other people for their own advantage is "Users." That pretty much covers it and it lets others know to avoid them.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

IMO it is not okay to hold space for a group. It is rude, selfish, and inconsiderate. The group should meet at a designated spot then enter the line when all are present. What can you do if it happens? Kindly express how unfair it is to those who have already gotten there and have been waiting, and ask them to join the line like everyone else did ... at the end.

I was in line once and a person a few places ahead of me was "holding a space" for about 8 other people. When the 8 extras got in line, there was some grumbling. The space holder loudly announced that, "these people are with me."

More grumbling.

Then, out of the blue, the person in front of the space holder declared, "See all of those people behind you? They're with me. Please move your party behind them."

It worked.

Priceless!! :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

IMO it is not okay to hold space for a group. It is rude, selfish, and inconsiderate. The group should meet at a designated spot then enter the line when all are present. What can you do if it happens? Kindly express how unfair it is to those who have already gotten there and have been waiting, and ask them to join the line like everyone else did ... at the end.

This may very well work, as it seems a snarky comment uttered in the general direction of the offender(s) always seems to fall on willfully unhearing ears. :(

Lorie

I've saved spots in line for my spouse (while he was visiting the facilities) or my parents (who can't stand for long periods), but that's really only a couple of people, 3 max. I think that's acceptable. It isn't always possible to time some basic needs, and it's terribly unfair to expect people who can't stand for long periods to wait LONGER by going to the end of the line.

More than 4 people (depending on the circumstance), I agree is rude, and I would definitely say something about the end of the line being behind us. Twelve people is flat out rude and they all know full well what they are doing, and that it's not socially acceptable.

I've saved spots in line for my spouse (while he was visiting the facilities) or my parents (who can't stand for long periods), but that's really only a couple of people, 3 max. I think that's acceptable. It isn't always possible to time some basic needs, and it's terribly unfair to expect people who can't stand for long periods to wait LONGER by going to the end of the line.

More than 4 people (depending on the circumstance), I agree is rude, and I would definitely say something about the end of the line being behind us. Twelve people is flat out rude and they all know full well what they are doing, and that it's not socially acceptable.

So...... can we agree on the limit to number of people? Who decides how many is 'okay'?

Four is okay? What about five?

Maybe Dad is in line while Mom took her three young 'uns to wash their hands. Is it okay for the four of them to join Dad?

IMO,

No, it is not okay.

Dad, Mom and three children can get at the back of the line.

Edited by sail7seas

I think it's OK to save a space for a person(s) who can not stand for long periods.

May be OK to save a space for a person who had to use the restroom (they might have problems).

Most lines are long at the beginning, and short after a period of time. While everyone is in line, then it might be a good time to what specials are offered in the spa.

Unkind words can ruin the day for both parties.

Unkind words can ruin the day for both parties.

I think that's what some of the other posters have pointed out the quickest....trying to police adult offenders can often lead to regrettable consequences and always leads to higher blood pressure. It does not sound like the crew ever gets involved in these issues, even if asked.

The good thing about HAL and its more mature clientele is that you see less of this.......but in a community of 2,000, there will always be some rough spots.

It appears that it is been decided that to hold the place for one person is okay. Then again if that one person is using the facilities and you have two more who can't stand for very long then the number is three. Wait, no more than four. Unless, of course, you have five more in your group. Yes, that's it, five. No more than five. That is it, that is the limit. Unless, of course, you have three in your group who can't stand for very long and another three who are using the facilities. Then the number would be six. But that's it, that's it. No more than six additional people can have one person hold the place for everybody else in line.

Joking aside, I think it should be okay to hold a spot for your spouse or one travel partner. Other than that, find the back of the line and be happy you're going to get a turn soon