Able bodied in disabled cabins

adisguise

Is it the case therefore that anybody attempting to book a disabled access cabin can simply write a letter themselves saying that they are disabled and need the cabin because of this?

Typically the cruise line has the individual complete it's Special Needs Form . However some cruise lines do not provide such form. Sadly whether the cruise line has a passenger is asked to complete a Special Needs Form or a letter verifying without disclosing confidential medical information in reality the cruise line is not going to go through the process to further verify that the information is correct. By just having the form or a written letter on file protects the cruise line. It's important to note that once on board if the cruise line is able to ascertain that the individual fraudulently booked an accessible cabin that individual along with the others booked in the room can be told to leave at the next port and even banned from cruising that line in the future.

Is it true that the cruise line can demand medical evidence of this but not if they are travelling to/from the US or they are not US citizens?

Cruises traveling to the USA having embarked from a Non- USA port are NOT covered by the USA Federal Law that went into effect 1/1/2012. As to what the cruise line can ask in regards to a cruise embarking from a non-USA port of USA and non-USA citizens is dependent on the laws in that country.

How do US citizens acquire the disabled parking permit, can they just say they are disabled and therefore need such a permit?

Regards John

In the USA a person CANNOT just acquire a disabled parking permit simply by stating they're disabled. Though each state in the USA establishes it's own eligibility criteria for a person to qualify for a disabled parking placard , the form generally has to be completed and signed by doctor. Placards are also issued on a permanent as well as temporary basis in all states.

Many states such as Illinois have imposed fines and possible loss of one's medical license for fraudulently signing such form. For reference here's a link to the application for the State of Illinois which is typical of most states applications https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd62.pdf

Edited by xxoocruiser

I have a permanent card in maine....but it expires every several years and I have to get the form signed by my doctor to renew...and the poster who mentioned checking after final payment is correct....twice I have booked ncl to bermuda out of Boston after final and been lucky to get an hc cabin....the first one was a balcony and a few days before we were up sold to an aft penthouse suite!....the second was an ocean view,poorly laid out but doable.....delighted to get them on such short notice.... .hc cabins and scooters have made my trips much safer and my husband has more fun,too!

We have booked on Princess, NCL, Carnival and RCI and have, in each case, had

To fill out a special needs form asking if we need the accessible features, what equipment we'd be bringing, measurements of each and the nature of our needs such as mobility, loss of hearing, poor vision, etc, and a warning that we needed to bring our own assistance. We have also been told to check in with guest services to let them know that we might need assistance in an emergency. Occasionally we have been asked for a physician signed document regarding fitness for cruising at that time...incorporating hospital stays in past years.etc. That one speaks to me of insurance company evidence. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you need an accessible cabin.

In the States of Nevada and Florida both, we needed a doctors attestation of

A need of a handicapped parking permit. (We did know someone who used their deceased relative's tag until it expired!)

Edited by DesrtDrmr

Accessible cabins should be for people with mobility issues which not all disabled people have. My husband has been disabled for 10 years but it is not a mobility issue but is a seizure disorder that is not completely controlled. We never ask for this kind cabin because a regular cabin works. The only thing I ask is to have the small table removed from the room if they have one just so he does not fall on it. When we first started cruising the we made of glass.

We were recently on the Caribbean Princess in an accessible cabin. My partner needs a wheelchair as she suffers from MS. We booked the cabin on line and clicked on an icon confirming that she was disabled. When on board there was no follow up and at no time did we had to prove she needed an accessible cabin.

Last year we went on a cruise with Pando. Had an accessible cabin, but had to fill out a number of forms. Again, once on board there was no follow up at all.

On the Caribbean Princess I suspect that at least one couple had a disabled cabin when the did not need it. I saw them both climbing up the best part of 400 steps to get to the top of a mountain. It took a good heart, good lungs and good legs to do it.

This issue of disabled cabins will not go away till cruise lines do more to check that people are telling the truth. Also, it's about time they started building ships with a lot more accessible cabins.

I am not sure what the law here in the UK is, but I would like cruise lines to adopt a policy of can't prove it, can't have it. I realise that it could involve the expense of doctors letters, but it's only £20 which is nothing as the cruise will cost about £2000 a couple.

On the Caribbean Princess I suspect that at least one couple had a disabled cabin when the did not need it. I saw them both climbing up the best part of 400 steps to get to the top of a mountain. It took a good heart, good lungs and good legs to do it.

Please keep in mind they could have booked that cabin after final payment date, when it's fair to release it to anyone.

Or, they could have booked as a guarantee, and been assigned that cabin---again very late in the game.

They did not necessarily take an accessible cabin from someone who needed it. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not sure when final payment date was, but the cruise was sold out weeks before the cruise set sail.

Based on past cruises we have been on you have to book early to stand a chance to get an assessable cabin.

Not sure when final payment date was, but the cruise was sold out weeks before the cruise set sail.

Which does not mean that couple wasn't assigned that handicap cabin on a guarantee basis. You have no way of knowing that the couple booked that cabin on their own, without needing the features.

Having handicap cabins go unbooked before final payment can and does happen.

Based on past cruises we have been on you have to book early to stand a chance to get an assessable cabin.

In addition to what RuthC has previously posted, just because it's generally the practice that an HC Cabin needs to be booked well in advance it doesn't preclude someone from having to cancel their HC cabin just prior to (or even after ) final payment. At which time the HC Cabin than becomes available for open booking or assignment by the cruise lines against a guaranteed booking. So it shouldn't be assumed that an able body person fraudulently booked an HC Cabin unless all the facts are known.

A number of years ago, I had an occasion to be on the same roll call with a handicap person that I feel abused the system. This couple would book multiple cruises over the same time period a couple years in advance... while they decided which cruise they wanted to take. That way they would be assured of having a cabin to meet their needs when they decided. I can certainly understand why they did it, but since they did not cancel the cruises they were not going to take until shortly before final payment, I feel that they were wrong. The fact that they had four or five cabins tied up so long, deprived others from booking one. Fortunately for us, they did post a note that they were canceling the cruise we were on, so I called our TA immediately and we got that cabin. Three gals and two scooters in a standard cabin would have been a challenge.

Betty

I just booked a HC cabin on NCL Breakaway. First time on NCL and I was not asked to fill anything out. All previous RCL and Celebrity cruises required paperwork. We'll see if they ask. My sister uses a scooter.

I like the way Celebrity has the added paperwork. I bring my own power wheelchair, but like the option to barrow a manual wheelchair from Celebrity to use on shore excursions. I think that if people are filling out the paperwork asking for added things like raised toilet seats and giving dimensions for mobility devices, then they are doing a better service at monitoring who is actually using or abusing the cabins.

On HAL, I was still pretty mobile, although I had some issues with getting into tub showers and the step into the bathrooms, but we had always booked a Suite which was big enough for my small travel pwc. Now I am full time and like Celebrity the best for cruising disabled. Princess didn't require any extra paperwork and I couldn't pre-order the toilet seat riser (at least what I could find) and we had also had to bring a manual chair for excursions, which was a pain to have to fly and carry it to and from airports and hotels and cruise ports.

The biggest problem here is that the baby boomers are aging and a 2010 report projected that 10% of those BBs were classified as disabled. Not all are mobility impaired. The porportion of HC cabins on most cruise ships I have been on seem disproportionate to the number of people I see using scooters and walkers. Thus one of the problems I find (most annoying too) is people leaving their walkers and scooters outside their cabins. Although cruise ships laws clearly state this is not to happen, I have yet to be on a cruise that I didn't run into someones walker or a scooter blocking the hallway. Extremely annoying, but indicates the problems of the ships not providing enough accessible cabins (at least on the lines I have been on). I highly doubt that this will change in the future since I am sure there is a minimum requirements of hc cabins per x amount of overall cabins ratio and space is a premium on a ship to get as many cabins as possible.

To the OP, I would probably reported that they were bragging about abusing the system. The TA would also have been reported and sanctioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this thread is a few weeks stale, but I don't want to start a new thread to make an on-time post. Besides, I haven't figured out how to start a new thread with the Android CC app.

I booked a cruise on Carnival Freedom today. I think it's an accessable cabin, the 4J with a forward facing window, but there was no indication that it was accessable until I had selected it.

In other words, the website offered me a 4J cabin selection by cabin number and I clicked continue. There was a note on the next page with the final cost that said something about the availability of the cabin I selected and I thought, "Oh, oh, what's this?" (Still nothing about it being an accessable cabin.)

Next page where I enter my CC payment information, there's a note about the cabin having wider doors and how high the shower threshold is. Now, I'm thinking this sounds like an accessable cabin. Below these notes is a check box that asks me to confirm that I'm willing to change cabins if a person who requires an accessable cabin requests one. The cabin will be the same or higher catagory.

So, did commit a mortal sin? There's still time for "redemption" as the cruise is still a few weeks outside final payment date. Or I could ask to change rooms. It's an Early Saver booking and it's the third week of a b2b, now b3b. I wanted a 4J, not an accessable cabin, so there's no evil intent here. I was not even aware that it was accessable until the payment page.

ANY comments?

I have just read through this thread with interest because I just had to change my cabin on the Regal Princess to a HC cabin.

On our 2014 cruise I was using a scooter to go on shore only and I had an Tzora which fit through the door and folded so it didn't take up too much room in the cabin. I had to request a shower chair which made it a little tight in the shower but I made it work. I was still able to walk around the ship with sitting down and taking a break when needed. When booking that cruise I refused to get a HC cabin because I didn't want to take it from someone who really needed it and I knew I could make it work in a regular cabin.

I am now in a full size scooter as I cannot walk too far and I wouldn't even be able to stand long enough to wait for an elevator. Fortunately I was able to change cabins. My TA asked if I was in a wheelchair. I explained I used a scooter and would be bringing my own. I guess this was enough for Princess because I have not been asked for any additional information. I did tell my TA that if she needed a doctor's note I would get it for her.

It is a shame that a thread like this is even necessary as I cannot imagine booking a HC cabin if I didn't need it. My DS said the difference is that I have scruples and would not be able to enjoy the cruise because I would have a guilty conscience.

I do believe that cruise lines should be consistent in what is required and I, personally, would not have a problem in getting a doctor's note if required.

Darlene

I like the way Celebrity has the added paperwork. I bring my own power wheelchair' date=' but like the option to barrow a manual wheelchair from Celebrity to use on shore excursions.

Now I am full time and like Celebrity the best for cruising disabled. Princess didn't require any extra paperwork and I couldn't pre-order the toilet seat riser (at least what I could find) and we had also had to bring a manual chair for excursions, which was a pain to have to fly and carry it to and from airports and hotels and cruise ports.

[/quote']

Thank you for the info that you can borrow a manual wheelchair on Celebrity if needed. There are 2 companies that I know of that you can rent chairs, scooters, walkers, etc. from and this may make it easier for you instead of taking your chair when you fly. They deliver to the ship and you just leave it when the cruise is over. Believe me I never thought we would need a HC cabin, but at age 59 my DH became disabled and has a mobility issue and cannot stand for long periods of time and cannot walk without the aide of a walker.

Theresa

Edited by psupa

You may need to call x and verify you can borrow a wheelchair for anything other than on and off the boat....ncl and rc do not allow this.....embark and debark only....they are reserved for those who become ill or injured during the cruise...

Thank you for the info that you can borrow a manual wheelchair on Celebrity if needed. There are 2 companies that I know of that you can rent chairs, scooters, walkers, etc. from and this may make it easier for you instead of taking your chair when you fly. They deliver to the ship and you just leave it when the cruise is over. Believe me I never thought we would need a HC cabin, but at age 59 my DH became disabled and has a mobility issue and cannot stand for long periods of time and cannot walk without the aide of a walker.

Theresa

Celebrity's website states that there is limited number of wheelchairs on board and that if you want to assured you will have a wheelchair you need to bring your own or rent one . As Searoses already stated the wheelchairs needed to any medical need on board the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
I realize this thread is a few weeks stale, but I don't want to start a new thread to make an on-time post. Besides, I haven't figured out how to start a new thread with the Android CC app.

I booked a cruise on Carnival Freedom today. I think it's an accessable cabin, the 4J with a forward facing window, but there was no indication that it was accessable until I had selected it.

In other words, the website offered me a 4J cabin selection by cabin number and I clicked continue. There was a note on the next page with the final cost that said something about the availability of the cabin I selected and I thought, "Oh, oh, what's this?" (Still nothing about it being an accessable cabin.)

Next page where I enter my CC payment information, there's a note about the cabin having wider doors and how high the shower threshold is. Now, I'm thinking this sounds like an accessable cabin. Below these notes is a check box that asks me to confirm that I'm willing to change cabins if a person who requires an accessable cabin requests one. The cabin will be the same or higher catagory.

So, did commit a mortal sin? There's still time for "redemption" as the cruise is still a few weeks outside final payment date. Or I could ask to change rooms. It's an Early Saver booking and it's the third week of a b2b, now b3b. I wanted a 4J, not an accessable cabin, so there's no evil intent here. I was not even aware that it was accessable until the payment page.

ANY comments?

I'm no expert but it sounds like as long as you clicked the box that said you are willing to change if necessary then you have done all you should.

Others may think differently and chime in...

Also very nice of you to ask in this thread imo.

ANY comments?

I'm no expert but it sounds like as long as you clicked the box that said you are willing to change if necessary then you have done all you should.

Others may think differently and chime in...

Also very nice of you to ask in this thread imo.

Technically if the cruise is embarking from a USA port than Carnival Cruise line is in violation of the US Federal Law that went into effect on 1/1/2012 which basically states that accessible cabins cannot be made available for general booking until after the final payment period has past. That anyone booking an accessible cabin prior to the final payment period has to certified that they require the need of the features contained in the Accessible Cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 3 weeks later...
Technically if the cruise is embarking from a USA port than Carnival Cruise line is in violation of the US Federal Law that went into effect on 1/1/2012 which basically states that accessible cabins cannot be made available for general booking until after the final payment period has past. That anyone booking an accessible cabin prior to the final payment period has to certified that they require the need of the features contained in the Accessible Cabin.

I read a portion of that ruling or settlement that was posted in another thread. Wasn't there also a clause that said something like..."except when it is the last cabin in that catagory. " I think that may be the case for this cabin since there are only a few 4J cabins. It shows none available in the fare viewer.

well if your mom is not known/liked enough by the doctor for him to hand it to her at the visit...(do not ask the secretary, but the actual doctor WHILE seeing him/her)..then she would get the paper ONCE, and if the disability is permanent,it will say so,and she would keep it safe, and reuse it.

In the UK it is standard practice for doctors to charge for any letter or signature rearless of the circumstance. One of the hidden costs of our "free" health service

true.. but the chances go down drastically when not only do they have to be slightly dishonest, but also ask a doctor to be dishonest for them, and have a doctor be dishonest enough to write it ...

NOT SAYING IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN.. but many who will say yes disabled to get the room will not want to even admit to their doctor they want to do so... much less have the dr. sign on that.

Fraud happens and corrupt doctors etc exist. I have experience of Sri La ka whre a doctor will write anything you want if you pay them. Look at the case of Zykanthos where large number of people were getting benefits for being blind while still driving cars. Fraud happens and corrupt doctors etc exist.