Viking Star menus

algaes

Attached are Menu 4 Sweet & Salty and Menu 5 A Gastronomic Journey Through Time. See other postings for first three. Sorry it took so long for this. Uploads on Viking Star have been impossible for eleven days.

Again, served for 9 consecutive days and meant to be food and wine pairings without substitutions. Dining companion on tour to Paris said some changes were done for him to accommodate food allergies.

I can confirm they are not pouring the specified wines in many cases. I don't drink alcohol so I'm less distracted by the pouring ritual. I noticed they were not showcasing the label in every instance and I recognized several to be the "house" wine they pour for free at lunch and dinner throughout the ship.

The wine served with the second course of Menu 5 is from Brise Marine. That is the house wine brand Viking must have bought by the cargo container load.

The Chef's Table is receiving some scathing reviews, but both of those menus look intriguing.

IMO, Menu 5 was the most normal and least eclectic of all five Chef's Table menus and I could see myself actually ordering (and paying for) each item at a restaurant. Or maybe I should say that I can see each of the Menu 5 courses being on a menu at a restaurant in my hometown and people would order them. I can't say that about the other menus and their courses.

Menu 4 seemed like most courses were not sweet AND salty. An item seemed to be either sweet OR salty although the description would lead you to believe the course would be both.

I ate all the courses on every menu (except the scallops in Menu 4, I think it was) and walked away hungry after each of my five Chef's Table dinners. Not a big deal at all, but I would go back to the cabin and eat dried fruit that I got at breakfast or a free mini bar candy bar. I don't do that at home after dinner or on the ship after a meal at The Restaurant or Manfredi's. For some reason the Chef's Table portions seem extra small to me. Maybe they do that on purpose since so many people don't like the Chef's Table food and therefore it's less waste.

IMO, Menu 5 was the most normal and least eclectic of all five Chef's Table menus and I could see myself actually ordering (and paying for) each item at a restaurant. Or maybe I should say that I can see each of the Menu 5 courses being on a menu at a restaurant in my hometown and people would order them. I can't say that about the other menus and their courses.

Menu 4 seemed like most courses were not sweet AND salty. An item seemed to be either sweet OR salty although the description would lead you to believe the course would be both.

I ate all the courses on every menu (except the scallops in Menu 4, I think it was) and walked away hungry after each of my five Chef's Table dinners. Not a big deal at all, but I would go back to the cabin and eat dried fruit that I got at breakfast or a free mini bar candy bar. I don't do that at home after dinner or on the ship after a meal at The Restaurant or Manfredi's. For some reason the Chef's Table portions seem extra small to me. Maybe they do that on purpose since so many people don't like the Chef's Table food and therefore it's less waste.

So you're saying a stop at the Gelato bar on the World Cafe afterwards, or some yummy split pea soup that night at Mamsen's might be in order? I can deal with that. I enjoy trying new things to eat, but I am not at all a wine drinker so I do have to wonder how much I will get out of it as well. But this was actually the dining venue I was most excited about on the ship. I'm disappointed so many people seem to dislike it.

I tell everyone on the ship that they have to go to Chef's Table since it is such a "foodie" restaurant. I am not a gourmet cook at all but I subscribe to a lot of cooking magazines and I like watching Chopped, Top Chef and other cooking competition shows on TV.

I don't know how to make foam and I don't buy or grow edible flowers, but I know a pretty presentation when I see it. I'm not sure a cooking show judge would approve of some of the flavor profiles, but it's one dinner onboard and takes ~100 minutes (or maybe more).

If you are still hungry you can order room service or go to World Cafe for ice cream (but it always closes at 9) or go to Mamsen's starting at 10 for split pea soup.

Chef's Table is an experience. If I had to pay a surcharge, I would not even think about going. Free, though, what the heck? It's a change of pace.

We did the Chefs table tonight. The food was great, and we did not go away hungry! The wine, while I am not a wine drinker, I Prefer beer, the wine added to the meal. The service and the explanations for each course were greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to returning once the new menu is posted, on May 25.

Any idea on how we can figure our when Chefs Table menu will change over so we can decide when to make our first reservation there? Maybe we'll luck out and get another night at each later in the cruise. We board July 25 in Stockholm.

I confirmed today they will be starting with the first menu again on May 26th. Assuming there is no change by management, you just need to calculate 9 day rotations from that date.

I make it to be 60 days between May 26 and coming on board July 25. That means six menu will have past and they will be six days into Menu 2. After the first three days of your cruise it will be Menu 3.

Again assuming no changes in menu order, duration, or composition. Many I have talked to on the 50 day cruise think Chef's Table is a likely component to be tweaked. It seems to be an underutilized space.

Of course we are on Day 43 and still no first run movies making the Cinemas the most under utilized space for its designed intention. Overflow from Star Theatre attendance and tour musters use the seats. TED documentaries and Star YouTube videos have played in the spaces.

Thanks so much for the help with timing of menus at Chef's Table! Looks like we may be able to experience 3 different menus if we time it right.:). . . and if Viking "stays the course". Of course, that's anyone's guess.

The is a dining reservation "desk" down next to the Explorer's "desk". They can tell you the Chef's Table menu and Manfredi's (same always except special pasta and fish).

Desk in quotes because Star personnel sit at tables or on couches in designated areas to service you. I've heard a number of persons disconcerted that there is not literally a desk on the ship to go to for service or help. Not sure what Viking does on river cruises.

I'm not certain about The Restaurant, but I'll ask around.

World Cafe is whatever they are serving with no prior notice that I know of. Walk the line and look/read item cards. Each side is 2/3 the same and you'll figure out on board what is specific to only the port or starboard food lines.

Pool Grill is the same for cooked items. Walk their salad bar line and read item cards.

Room service menu is fixed. Should be a sheet loose on table or desk in room else ask for one.

Lastly, there is a restaurant reservation number. I don't know if they can tell you anything about day's/evening's menus.

A Viking river cruise ship has only 1 venue for all meals. No choices of alternative eateries.

No room service either. They do have top notch meals with the best of chefs though!

When we would go on our included tours with Viking we never went hungry! Was able to get a feel for the locale and the foods eaten while we were out on tours......the best of culinary memories was included with the river cruise.

• 2 years later...