Zurich to Lucerne Train

paroe

Doing a pre cruise trip to Lucerne prior to a Uniworld River cruise in August. I have did my research and know that the train runs two times a hour from Zurich to Lucerne. I was just going to purchase my first class train tickets upon arrival in Zurich. Should I purchase them in advance? Are the trains really crowded and is there a chance of not getting on a train? Did not want to purchase in advance just in case of a flight delay. Also, approx. how long to get through customs. We will be traveling from the US. Thanks for your help.

I was just going to purchase my first class train tickets upon arrival in Zurich

No reason to buy First Class tickets unless you are taking your luggage with you

Should I purchase them in advance? No reason to. We took trains from Wengen in the Alps to Nice with 5 changes. Then we got the tickets in advance.

When we arrived In Zurich we got our tickets to Wengen at the machine in the station

Are the trains really crowded-no train we ever took in the 7 days we were there was crowded

Also, approx. how long to get through customs. Not very long

I'm not sure about the train, but you will love Lucerne. I spent New Years Eve on the bridge a few years ago and I can tell you the Swiss can party. It was by far my favorite spot I've been to thus far in Europe. Have fun

Doing a pre cruise trip to Lucerne prior to a Uniworld River cruise in August. I have did my research and know that the train runs two times a hour from Zurich to Lucerne. I was just going to purchase my first class train tickets upon arrival in Zurich. Should I purchase them in advance? Are the trains really crowded and is there a chance of not getting on a train? Did not want to purchase in advance just in case of a flight delay. Also, approx. how long to get through customs. We will be traveling from the US. Thanks for your help.

I asked that same question early this month and got this answers from overrun and SwissDave:

There is a direct train every hour (at 47 mins past the hour) from the airport to Lucerne. It takes an hour and the fare is CHF 27. And being Swiss, it runs on time

Check sbb.ch/en for the timetables. It will list all the options for you including direct/change required

Immigration is very quick (compared to Heathrow). If you wait 30 minutes it would be a long time.

Customs is usually walk straight through, if you get stopped it only takes a few minutes.